How do you guys deal when people laugh at your slow TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a TSX loaner a few weeks back and I didn't think it was slow, the engine does like the rev and the power comes after 4k or so. Anyway, it was a nice car and it's much better in a lot of ways over the Accord.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 PM
HOWARD911S

hmm laughign at my tsx has never happened, if anything people ENVY my gas mileage these days...
Old 05-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Howard911s
hmm laughign at my tsx has never happened, if anything people ENVY my gas mileage these days...
iv'e gotten nothing but love for my TSX...
Old 05-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^I agree, no one has "laughed" or so much as suggested the car was slow. Its only on these e-pissing contests where I read people saying the TSX is slow- otherwise, I've heard its fast, responsive, etc. Not a drag car, but powerful enough.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Advanced

Lure your friends or whoever laughs at your car, to a road you know that handling its more important than power (curvy roads, no straights), than smoke them!!! ahhahahaah thats what i did before!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:38 AM
OEM plus!

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
96 Integra, tell him to drive something better than a 9 year old teenager's car and grow up

00 civic Si -- Tell him he's driving a fucking civic, and while a great car, he has absolutely no rights to talk about anyone until he grows up and gets an adult's car

06 --330i -- best one--- ask him why he blew nearly 50k when ur car at 26k has as many if not more feature content, and reliablity records than his car

05 - TL -- great car, and i'm sure u'd also have purchased one if you had 5 grand more .

04 WRX STI -- very fast car, but easily classified as a kid's car. I mean grow up. Sorry I can't take anyone seriously as an adult with their onyl car being a WRX or EVo.... they look like toys... and have absoultely nothing to offer but power for 30k. TSX guys and WRX guys want COMPLETELY different tihngs from thier cars, and u guys will just butt heads. --- tell him yea he can beat u at a stop light, but the ladies will appreciate the class of ur TSX.

A4 -- Also great car, but unless he's got the 3.0V6 , can he really talk anything about being slow? I mean ins't the TSX and A4 1.8T on performance par with eachother???

------

Bottom line, ur idiot friends need to be congratulating you on a new car thats a remarkable value for its price, and aplud you for growing up and out of the kid's car market.

If they can't, keep em' around till they grow up, or do what I'd do, stoop to thier level and kick em' in the nuts.

kthxbye.
I was going to reply in a similar fashion as this, but looks like it's already been covered
Old 05-04-2006, 11:43 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by ianS
for me TSX > TL
COMPLETELY AGREE! The dealership gave me an 06 TL with 5 miles on it to drive for a couple days when my TSX was getting worked on. Wow that's a completely different car. Massive on the inside with no side support to the seat, and one of the more unpleasant interior designs I've seen in an Acura. The gauges specifically. I used to have a love affair with the TL, but after sitting in one and driving it for a few days I'd take the TSX no questions asked.

I had the 5K extra, but I made the right choice for me. I need a car that handles, not a car that can go faster if you keep it in a straight line and stand on the gas long enough. I'm sure I'll dig the TL when I'm 20 years older.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

tsx = girl car, most girls dont care about speed and I think thats the majority of the customer base. I got a loaner tsx when my TL was in the shop and the car was nice and comfy but it was a pig.

Why am I even posting in here..... because a friend of mine (a girl) wants to buy one and asked me if I could find out any problems off this forum. So thanks for the thread.

FALME ON
Old 05-04-2006, 03:47 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by damntl
...nice and comfy but it was a pig.

FALME ON
I just don't get the pig comment. Was your TSX smart but smelly? Someone please educate me.

Oh and considering the TL was built simply for the ride, and a little more horsepower to hopefully distract the driver from the atrocious interior and pathetic handling, and the TSX was built to be driven aggressively with a sporty look to take sales from the a4, 325i, etc how does this make it a chick's car?

If I didn't own this car, and I knew a girl who did, I'd be begging to drive it everyday. I'm sure you're in your late 30s early 40s so you should be mature enough that you don't have to be threatened by the fact your girlfriend has better taste.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never happened to me....I am actually the one who said TSX is the slow car...

but I think one of my friend who has a M3 said something about it...pissed me off, comparing a car doubling my price and call it slow...wow..he's smart!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Because Of You

sounds like u have a buncha jealous idiots for friends. why dont u tell them to take 26 grand and see what they can buy new thats better

don't try that. my friend brought home a V6 Honda Accord Couple loaded with $26K out the door.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:12 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by bz268
don't try that. my friend brought home a V6 Honda Accord Couple loaded with $26K out the door.

That's so sad...See that's what happends when you don't pay attention to your friends. They go out and spend $26K on a G D Accord Coupe. There is no accounting for taste.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd take a 6MT TL over a TSX if money was not a factor. More power, better quality leather, CAN be modded to handle easier/cheaper than a TSX can be modded to be fast, ($5k for a TSX supercharger???), TL is a slightly more masculine and striking looking car (personal opinion obviously, both are great lookers) Only downside is you're going to see slightly more TL's on the road...on the verge of being a little played.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:14 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
I'd take a 6MT TL over a TSX if money was not a factor. More power, better quality leather, CAN be modded to handle easier/cheaper than a TSX can be modded to be fast, ($5k for a TSX supercharger???), TL is a slightly more masculine and striking looking car (personal opinion obviously, both are great lookers) Only downside is you're going to see slightly more TL's on the road...on the verge of being a little played.
You might want to drive one before you make that choice. The thing is like a whale. I'm happy with the TSX stock, but the driving the tl stock is just

Besides if I cared only about power and didn't care bout the interior Id've taken the money to pay for the tl and bought an sti.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:22 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bz268

I love the accord coupe, I used to work at a honda dealer when I bought my TSX. I was about to buy a 6spd coupe almost when it first came out at cost.

TSX's feature content is much longer than the Accords. and it has a better warranty than the honda. for me, the extra 40hp wasn't worht the gas mileage and the shorter list of features, plus I didn't want the coupe.

Now the Accord 6MT sedan... well honestly if this was out 2 years ago I mighta had to install my own HID and turn signal mirrors and been happy buy an extended warranty, and go nuts. the car is simply sickk to drive for its price-range, and a fwd'r

as for the TL, it is a pig in comparision to the TSX, but in all honesty if I had the extra 5k, I'd jumped on the TL bandwagon too. Theyre simply gorgeous cars...
Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by damntl
tsx = girl car, most girls dont care about speed and I think thats the majority of the customer base. I got a loaner tsx when my TL was in the shop and the car was nice and comfy but it was a pig.

Why am I even posting in here..... because a friend of mine (a girl) wants to buy one and asked me if I could find out any problems off this forum. So thanks for the thread.

FALME ON
FALME ON? Typo? You must have meant FLAME ON? Why do you say the TSX is a pig?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Only downside is you're going to see slightly more TL's on the road...on the verge of being a little played.
A little more than "slightly more". TL sales are about double TSX sales.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I love the accord coupe, I used to work at a honda dealer when I bought my TSX. I was about to buy a 6spd coupe almost when it first came out at cost.

TSX's feature content is much longer than the Accords. and it has a better warranty than the honda. for me, the extra 40hp wasn't worht the gas mileage and the shorter list of features, plus I didn't want the coupe.

Now the Accord 6MT sedan... well honestly if this was out 2 years ago I mighta had to install my own HID and turn signal mirrors and been happy buy an extended warranty, and go nuts. the car is simply sickk to drive for its price-range, and a fwd'r

as for the TL, it is a pig in comparision to the TSX, but in all honesty if I had the extra 5k, I'd jumped on the TL bandwagon too. Theyre simply gorgeous cars...
I was pretty close to getting an '05 Accord V6 Coupe Auto for $25.5k OTD but I like the styling of the TSX so much better. It was probably not worth the $5k more I spent on the TSX but love is a stupid thing.....

As for the TL, I think it's better than the TSX in many aspects such as the power and interior....but it just didn't feel right when I test drove it. With the TSX, I felt like I been driving the car for years already...hard to explain...it just felt right.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Canadian Perspective

the "average" canadian is driving a Civic or some variant with 105/115/127/140HP respectively. Or maybe some larger Chysler concord/chevy malabu V6 with a detuned 180HP.

a sedan with 200/205 HP is a powerful car up here while still getting 26.5MPG combined.

With the auto using sportshift C&D was reporting 7.7 seconds 0-60MPH.

Top speed of ~145MPH seems sufficent for my motoring needs to say the least.

The ride is comfortable.

Yes there are cars that go (or at least accelerate) much faster, but the cost is frankly prohibitive unless you really live to drive. There are trade-offs in terms of size, reliability, handling, comfort,4Doors, trunk space, useability(RWD in snow).

If I am asked why I didn't by a TL, I usually say that the TSX is as big a car as I would want to have driving in the city. In reality I don't see the point in using another 15% more gas all the time to shave 1 second off my highway ramp acceleration. I am also a secret snob for the made in Japan aspect.

When I picked up my car from being washed the the other day there was the new bentley parked beside it. My car looked perfectly respectable beside it.

The only cars I hate with a passion right now are stripper BMWs and the Toyota Yaris/Echo.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
That's exactly the same reason I bought mine. I love driving a smooth, reasonably powerful I4, and even more after bolting on a couple things here and there. Making good power (mine is around 225 hp / 185 tq) with a naturally-aspirated four is more interesting to me. I'm a contrarian, I guess. Something in me doesn't want to be part of the ubiquitous V6 crowd -- I have friends who own a TL, a Maxima, and a G35, and they're all quick cars and they're all automatics and, between them, my friends would take fifteen minutes figuring out how to open the hoods of their cars.

They don't actually know what a "V6" even is. It's that "dude, it's got a V6" ethos that turns me off. Give me a challenge, make me think. It's the same reason I don't know if I'd put a supercharger on my engine. It's the easy way out.

(I have the luxury, though, of getting my acceleration fix from a 550hp big block Chevy.)
I agree with everything you said. In Australia a lot of people have similar attitudes. The Holden and Ford "boys" Smirk at anything that isn't V6, V8 or weighs under 1500kg. My car was called a rice burner becuase it was from japan. I then informed the chap that my car made more power, accelerated quicker and handled better than his pre 1990 holden commodore (v6 - it must be fast! ). Not that he believed me, but I don't care, I love my car and that's the important thing.

To the thread starter:

People with narrow minded views don't deserve your time - if your friends are as critical as you say, maybe you should step back and reconsider who you hang out with
Old 05-05-2006, 04:52 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One sentence should do it.....

" We'll see who get's the better spot at the valet parking?"

Luxury in the front for all to see and crappy domestics in the back by the dumpsters.... That'll typically stop the comments from a buddy of mine (older convertable Mustang) when he starts talking about HP numbers..

That and he's a "wallet mechanic"... talk like you know everything about cars, but when it comes to explaining the MODs, installing the MODS, or even working on the car he can't do it and sends the car to the shop for everything.. (oil changes, brake work, etc..)
Old 05-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
One sentence should do it.....

" We'll see who get's the better spot at the valet parking?"

Luxury in the front for all to see and crappy domestics in the back by the dumpsters.... That'll typically stop the comments from a buddy of mine (older convertable Mustang) when he starts talking about HP numbers..

That and he's a "wallet mechanic"... talk like you know everything about cars, but when it comes to explaining the MODs, installing the MODS, or even working on the car he can't do it and sends the car to the shop for everything.. (oil changes, brake work, etc..)

I should say these people further remind me of the type of trash that's always talking about what kind of tip you should leave when dining out (presumably huge) but don't make enough money themselves to dine anywhere other than Mickey-Dees.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crfortin
the "average" canadian is driving a Civic or some variant with 105/115/127/140HP respectively. Or maybe some larger Chysler concord/chevy malabu V6 with a detuned 180HP.
wasn't the "average" canadian is driving a 3-series? Oh! I meant "average" Toronto-ian

[QUOTE=crfortin]
If I am asked why I didn't by a TL, I usually say that the TSX is as big a car as I would want to have driving in the city. In reality I don't see the point in using another 15% more gas all the time to shave 1 second off my highway ramp acceleration. I am also a secret snob for the made in Japan aspect.

300% , actually, I will 100% avoid anything that is made in US! Well even if TL is made in Japan, I still vote for TSX over TL because I can't live with that stupid torque steer and heavy feel from the car.

The only cars I hate with a passion right now are stripper BMWs and the Toyota Yaris/Echo.
Those with stripper BMW, MB, Audi are the one that like to look down ne non-Euro cars.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

I am also a secret snob for the made in Japan aspect.
Oh yeah - Me too. A lot of people don't know or realize what a big PLUS this is. It was ONE of the major factors that influenced me to buy the TSX. My daughter is driving our old '92 "J" Accord with a 175k miles and it is still very tight and runs awesome.

Honda/Acura MADE IN JAPAN is the Best - No question about it.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paranode

And also consider that the cheapest 3-series has an inline-6 and it only gets 215hp. And it is a bit more expensive than the TSX.

I'll second that...I was really seriously considering the BMW 3 series until I realized that it is a 6 w/ only 10 more horse and about 7 g's more.

How come I never hear anyone talking smack about the overpriced Lexus IS250? That thing has 1 less horse on a 6 and costs about 5 g's more??

The prob is that people don't know what to compare this car to. It looks faster and more $$ than it is and it's not really well known. My dad is totally into american cars and is still confused--he thinks I bought a TL.

I actually like the idea of the TSX being a $30k Civic. The Civic is one great car!

My hubby has a friend w/ a Mustang who tried to rip on the TSX. I pulled out "Oh yeah, what do you drive. A Rust--tang?" I then proceeded to spout all the F-O-R-D jokes. Childish, I know--but funny anyways.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
無限 本田 CL9

FORD as in Fast Only Rolling Down? haha I havent heard acronyms for a while... here are a few...

HONDA - History Of No Dramatic Acceleration
ACURA - A Cute Underpowered Recreational Automobile

Old 05-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Racer

lol people laugh at me and just say you have a family car for a teenager and then think im rich for being 19 and driving the tsx i just shrug my shoulders and dont waste my time listening to the garbag
Old 05-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evo_to_tsx
FORD as in Fast Only Rolling Down? haha I havent heard acronyms for a while... here are a few...

HONDA - History Of No Dramatic Acceleration
ACURA - A Cute Underpowered Recreational Automobile

No, no.. you were supposed to come up w/ things to make fun of OTHER peoples cars..not your own!!

Things like: Found On Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily, Fucked Over Rebuilt Dodge

I used to have a really crappy car when I was younger, but it was paid for and all mine. We used to "cruise" the strip and when people threre would make fun of my car, I'd say "Why don't you go home and blow daddy so you can get the car again tomorrow night."
Old 05-05-2006, 03:19 PM
5th Gear

I was flabbergasted by how cheapo the interior of the 3-series looked when I first sat in one. When I got out of the car, I had a satisfied smile on my face... remembering how nicer the interior of my TSX is.

That's ammunition to defend myself if ever a 3-series owner trash-talk my car.

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
Sorry...I thought I responded to that earlier. Here's a list of cars that my friends drive.

[...]

'03 Celica GT --> '06 330i (just upgraded)

[..]

and also some still drive old, crappy cars
Old 06-12-2006, 05:24 PM

You know i haven't had this happen to me until today as i was drivin home from work. I was followin traffic along the main street here, speed limit 45 - i was goin prolly 48-50. This wannabe dude in a red civic comes up next to me n looks over n gives me a smugg ass look then takes off to the furthest right lane, almost hitting the curb, HA!

The thing that pissed me off was, not just was it a civic, but it had a black body kit that was almost falling off and a fucking wing that could prolly fly him to mars I dont care bout tryina 'show off' my car towards others n i dont care to try to race ppl, even tho i drive fast...but this dipshit had the nerve to gimme that look when his car is a POS. I wanted to call him a fucking ricer but he flew off in his spaceship so fast, i didn't get to...it annoys the hell outta me but im calm now n realize he's a homo n i have my TSX
Old 06-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Advanced

I race 'em for pink slips!!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Joga Bonito

I bought my TSX because I think it is the best reflection of who I am, in addition to all the financial and mechanical considerations that go with buying a car. I don't look for approval from my friends and none of them are immature or jealous enough to cut up my purchase, and if they were, I would ignore them because at the end of the day I don't really care what they think. I do listen to people who matter, and the balance to achieve is figuring out who really matters and who doesn't. If some of your friends are busy criticizing your car, I would venture to say that these are not people who you should be looking for approval from.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by clearlycanadian
I bought my TSX because I think it is the best reflection of who I am, in addition to all the financial and mechanical considerations that go with buying a car. I don't look for approval from my friends and none of them are immature or jealous enough to cut up my purchase, and if they were, I would ignore them because at the end of the day I don't really care what they think. I do listen to people who matter, and the balance to achieve is figuring out who really matters and who doesn't. If some of your friends are busy criticizing your car, I would venture to say that these are not people who you should be looking for approval from.
well said...

and in reference to ur avatar, GO BRAZIL
Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Joga Bonito

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
well said...

and in reference to ur avatar, GO BRAZIL
Yes I'm looking forward to their game!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure this has been said already, but no one buys a TSX because it is "fast". I bought mine because I love the way it looks, the way it fits me, the way it handles, and the luxury-oriented feel of the car. Sure, it performs like it has 150hp and not 205hp, but it's still quick enough to get out of its own way and ahead of most traffic when necessary. It's very reliable and it also can return very good fuel economy when driven sensibly. Overall I'd say it's a terrific package for the money.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:39 AM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
Just respond with . Then follow up with and finally say to those loser friends.

Nice points, but I'd have to consider...

On the whole, who the hell cares what they think. You like the car, now you're not sure about the friends. Guess it's time to find new ones like JTso said!

Da Duck
Old 06-13-2006, 04:04 AM
Racer

tsx is great

that said i think the tsx is a great balance.

basically just grow up and realize your car is a well rounded classy vehicle. who cares what the other people think.

my roomate, just bought a 2001 m3 for about 32 grand + tax. i'd say... he has the maturity of a 12 year old since he has told me several times now that i "traded in my balls and manhood to buy a girl's car tsx".

so when he finally got the m3 which i do have to say is fast, but very loud and not exactly the most refinied ride on earth (and not really that useful in traffic), i told him "well i guess some people need to buy a car just to remind them they are men".

dont get me wrong, i like fast cars. but for the 26,300 i paid + tax i feel great about the car. it gives me everything i want, has better gas milage, and is comfortable while still having enough speed. its just right, its not painfully slow, or ridiculously fast and i think i made the right choice.

then again, i'm hoping the 2009 one has the rdx engine and AWD. i'll be at the dealer check book in hand.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Intermediate

I had the same issues when I owned my Mazda RX-8 - "nice car, but not as fast as the competition" Yes, it would be nice to have more power, and yes, you should have more power for what the car costs. When an auto Camry with a six goes 0-60 in the low sixes, you know you're behind the power curve.

The next version of the TSX will have more power, but not until the TL does. Acura offers the TL as the "move up" car and wouldn't want to cut TL sales with a faster TSX.

So how about a turbo for the TSX, like in the new RDX?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SaraWI

I'll second that...I was really seriously considering the BMW 3 series until I realized that it is a 6 w/ only 10 more horse and about 7 g's more.

:
It only has about 10 more h.p. but its cosiderably quicker thru the corners and in a straight away. I think its 6.7 seconds 0-60. but i get what u are saying.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 AM
8th Gear

You will certainly have the last laugh not only passing gas stations, but passing your local service department. I am planning to keep my TSX for as long as I can nurse the motor along, my friends with more expensive "nicer" cars are already looking to trade.

Quick Reply: How do you guys deal when people laugh at your slow TSX?