How do dealers find specific model/color combinations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 10:56 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do dealers find specific model/color combinations?

As I wait for my local dealer to scour the country looking for an Arctic Blue/6sp/non-navi TSX, a few questions come to mind.

First, they say they will look for another dealer with the model who is willing to do a dealer trade. Does the other dealer really have to agree to trade a particular car, or are they more or less asked to cooperate with other dealers?

If they are looking for the model combination, do they have to call a bunch of people or is the system completely automated – i.e. “I see on my system that Acura of Wherever has the car you need, I will have them send it.”

If a dealer trade happens, does it mess up the holdback and thus there is less incentive to do dealer trades and thus lowers the profit margin?

I am trying to avoid ordering the car from the factory and waiting until November for delivery or settling for a different color.

(I wish they would send more TSXs over…)

Just wondering.

-Tim
Old 08-12-2003, 11:02 PM
More On

Re: How do dealers find specific model/color combinations?

Originally posted by tmalzahn
.....Does the other dealer really have to agree to trade a particular car, or are they more or less asked to cooperate with other dealers?

If they are looking for the model combination, do they have to call a bunch of people or is the system completely automated – i.e. “I see on my system that Acura of Wherever has the car you need, I will have them send it.”.....
Don't know, but I gotta believe the answers to these particular aspects are what common sense would say:

Of course the other dealer has a choice whether or not to do it.

But, of course dealers are encouraged to try to cooperate in general.

And of course it's "automated," at least sort of -- if nothing else, that requests get put out on the net for other dealers to check out, and that there's an easy way to look for matches.

Anyway, that's what I'm saying.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Re: How do dealers find specific model/color combinations?

Originally posted by tmalzahn
First, they say they will look for another dealer with the model who is willing to do a dealer trade. Does the other dealer really have to agree to trade a particular car, or are they more or less asked to cooperate with other dealers?

No, the other dealer does not have to cooperate. Usually they'll agree to a trade if the asking dealer has a car that they want.

If they are looking for the model combination, do they have to call a bunch of people or is the system completely automated – i.e. “I see on my system that Acura of Wherever has the car you need, I will have them send it.”

No, they do not call all dealers. They look up into a database called iN which is used to check inventory.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you tmal? My guy in chicago has one....
Old 08-12-2003, 11:33 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

I'm in the Minneapolis area. Close enough to Chicago...

Do you have the person's contact information?

-Tim