How are Acuras transported?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003 | 09:51 PM
has been here awhile

Question How are Acuras transported?

Hello-

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but how are Acuras transported by land? I know they probably use trains frequently for longer trips--but how do they make it to the dealer? I know that Volvos (at least when we got one) are sent in enclosed truck trailers (the Swift ones). I don't think I've ever seen a regular car transport truck with a bunch of Acuras on it...are they sent in enclosed trailers, too? I think I can safely say most luxury-brands send their cars enclosed...

SPUDMTN
Old 08-18-2003 | 10:28 PM
Racer

When i visited the Acura dealership here, i saw a huge truckload off new Acura's being unloaded. So i guess they do use those 2 story trucks that can haul a lot of cars.
Old 08-19-2003 | 12:36 AM
Inspired

I worked as a salesman for a Honda dealer and we got all of our cars from a 2 level car carrier every Sunday night. Some dealerships do get theirs by rail, but mostly, its done by car carriers. There are certain distribution areas where boats and trains carry the cars to and the trucks take it from there.
Old 08-19-2003 | 05:11 AM
Suzuka Master

To clarify what was previously said, the method of transit first varies depending on where the car's final assembly was performed. For cars that come from Japan, they are sent by boat, then by rail to a dispatch closer to the dealer's region, and then by truck until it's new home. For cars that are built in North America, they go by rail and then by truck (just like the Japan cars, but without the boat). For example, our cars go by rail until they get to Pearland, Texas (just outside of Houston) and come to us by truck from that point. It's way too expensive to truck them accross the country alone. Most times, the transit takes about 10 days if they're coming from Japan once they've hit California and also takes about 10 days from Ohio and 13 from Ontario. When the cars come by boat from Japan, it takes about 27 days to get them to our continent.
Old 08-19-2003 | 05:06 PM
Pro

I think that's pretty much it. I've seen cars actually transported my trains before. They're enclosed in aluminum box cars with open slits; kind of like how cattle is shipped. I've driven by the Los Angeles harbor and you can see fields of new cars. I saw a bunch of Nissans and Infinitis the other day.

What I would like to know, what kind of container do they put them in on the boat. Where do they put all the keys to those cars (because logically they have to drive them on to the truck/rail car).
Old 08-19-2003 | 07:54 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I think the keys are probably shipped directly to the dealers and all the cars are moved around with a master key. To me, this seems logical, because it seems like a lot of screw ups and confusion can happen if freight carriers have to keep track of the keys. As far as the cars that sit in holding lots, I have no clue.

Does anyone remember the freighter that sunk earlier this year with BMWs, Saabs and Volvos. It hit another ship in the fog. I bet there were a lot of customers who got their orders delayed because of that, especially the Saab 9-3. Millions of dollars of freight ruined because of that accident.

Nearly 3,000 new luxury cars on board a carrier ship which sank in the English Channel are almost certainly write-offs, salvage experts have said.
The multi-million pound cargo of vehicles, including BMWs, Volvos and Saabs, is lying on the seabed inside the sunken Norwegian carrier ship the Tricolor.

The 55,000-ton vessel sank after colliding with a 20,000-ton container vessel in the early hours of Saturday.

A salvage company is sending a ship to the area with divers on board to try to find a way of removing the wreck - lying in about 25m of water.

HM Coastguard Lee Drew said: "The wreck must really go as soon as possible, because the Dover Straits is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world - and this is the actual crossroads where ships come from and to the European ports."

All 24 crew members survived the incident, which happened about 30 miles (48km) east of Ramsgate, Kent.

The Tricolor had been travelling from Zeebrugge, Belgium, to Southampton with its cargo of 2,862 cars and 77 containers when it hit the container ship the Kariba.

The value of the cargo was put at £30m, though the cars would have fetched double that at retail prices, motor industry experts say.

The car carrier also had about 2,000 tons of oil on board, according to Lloyd's Casualty Reporting Service.

An anti-pollution plan was drawn up by the French authorities managing the incident, but a French naval officials said there was no sign of any leakage.

The Tricolor crew abandoned ship and took to lifeboats after the collision at 0130 GMT on Saturday.

The captain and two officers were rescued by the Kariba while the rest of the mostly Filipino crew were picked up by a tug boat and have been taken to hospital in the French port Dunkirk.

The Kariba, registered in the Bahamas, was severely damaged but was able to make its own way to the Belgian port of Antwerp.

Warship at scene

The estimated value of the Tricolor itself is about £25m, and the cargo about £30m.

Per Ronnevigsaid, spokesman for the Tricolor's owners Wilhelmsen Lines, said the ship and cargo owners would work with the insurers.

But he said it was likely the cars would probably have to be written off.

"She [the Tricolor] probably capsized when she went down. It means that all the cars are probably lying in pieces down there."

Dover Coastguard said a Belgian warship, the Wandelaar, was in the area helping French coastguards to deal with the incident.

A UK coastguard emergency towing vessel was sent to the scene along with other tugs.

The Tricolor was initially only partly submerged because of a low tide.

But it later disappeared from view.

UK coastguards said it was up to the ship's owners as to what would happen to the vessel's cargo.

But salvage expert Robin Middleton said: "History indicates [the vehicles] will not be suitable for re-processing once they are taken out of the water.

"By and large in the past cargoes such as this have been scrapped in their entirety."

An inquiry will be launched by the French authorities into the cause of the accident.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/europe/2576179.stm
Old 08-19-2003 | 10:57 PM
Pro

I remember this VtecMW. I thought it was a bunch of Jags though. Possibly another ship? lol. All the freight is probably insured anyhow.

I had a friend that worked at the Harbor and he told me sometimes during storms, entire cargo containers can just fall off the ship. That always made me wonder