Hood Painted, color match and clear coat questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:59 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hood Painted, color match and clear coat questions.

I had an auto body shop look at the damage from the deer, and they are going to replace the hood and front bumper, and repair and repaint both fenders, hood and bumper. They say they can match the paint with computer, will the colors look identical? also what about a clear coat. i assume they will put one on, right? will it be soft? when can i zaino it?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:18 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna suggest the "sniff test" to find out when the clearcoat has complete cured (when you can't smell the paint anymore) but I don't think it applies here.

Have you asked the shop?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:32 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I have parts of my painted as much as I wash it, joke. I've had several hit and runs done to me. :'(

They will match the paint perfectly, they will use clear-coat. The paint will likely be wetsanded to reduce the orange peel effect. Wrinkle finish from the repaint. Your fenders will have a slightly smoother texture then the rest of the car but only you will really notice it. The color will match perfectly though.

The bad news, your paint will chip slightly easier then before. The good side is now that it is being repainted you won't ever fear a repaint again. You can have your bumper repainted yearly if you like for under $100

The reason for the above is that the paint used at the factory and the paint used at the body shop are slightly different for EPA reasons. Body shop paint Air/heat dries. Factory paint is baked on. Can't bake your car once the interior and engine are in it.

As for Zaino, you will need to wait about 3 full mounths before you can wax the freshly painted parts of the car. The paint will still be curing.

Don't fear the finish will look really good and no one will notice or know what was fixed.

Hope you get the car back soon.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:53 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks Chand,

will carbon gray be a hard color to match? if they use the factor paint code it should be identical, right? they want to paint the right fender even though there is no damage to it. to me this means that they wont be able to match the paint exactly, so they at least want the front to match.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
thanks Chand,

will carbon gray be a hard color to match? if they use the factor paint code it should be identical, right? they want to paint the right fender even though there is no damage to it. to me this means that they wont be able to match the paint exactly, so they at least want the front to match.
I think that over time, you may become more aware of differences in paint fading and clear coat appearance.

Whatever you do, DON'T wax, polish, or clay-bar your freshly painted parts for a few months. The paint NEEDS to cure.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:19 AM
Jersey ---> Maryland

Originally posted by Brad
I think that over time, you may become more aware of differences in paint fading and clear coat appearance.
by that time, u'll already be looking for a new car
Old 07-15-2003, 08:53 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

They want to paint the fender because it's texture won't match the hood. It's easier to hide on a vertical(door to fender) surface then on a horizontal plane. (door to hood)