Honda Pick-up Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Pick-up Truck?

I did a search before posting this...

Has anyone heard or seen online pix of the new mid-size Honda pick-up truck? Article, but no pix are at:

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail...=39938&lk=nd02
Old 09-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics have been in several publications...it's no 04 F150 though. That's a nice truck.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

The pics that I've seen are nothing to write about other then it's a Honda pickup... which is news in itself. I don't like the square wheel well. I do like the full cab but I also want a full bed not a half bed which the pictures show. It's a Pilot with a bed.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by DEVO
The pics that I've seen are nothing to write about other then it's a Honda pickup... which is news in itself. I don't like the square wheel well. I do like the full cab but I also want a full bed not a half bed which the pictures show. It's a Pilot with a bed.
Exactly, its basically a Honda Pilot with an extended wheelbase and pickup bed ala Avalanche but without the passthrough to the cabin. I mean it may be convienient but can anybody really take a Pickup built on a Minivan platform seriously?

As long as noone expects the thing to tow 7000 punds or hold a few tons in that bed I'm sure it will be a good truck.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:11 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

The Pilot and MDX chassis are unibody! If Honda does this, I think it'll be the first unibody truck! I wonder what its payload capacity will be... 1/4 ton?

I can see the headlines now:
"New Honda truck folds in half after being loaded with 12 bags of concrete."

You won't be seeing any TV ads showing skip-loaders dropping gravel into the beds of these!

Old 09-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Interesting news, but I'd only drive a pick-up if I needed to. So far, despite having our first child, I've been able to fend off my wives overtures towards SUVs and the dreaded minivan...
Old 09-05-2003, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by domn
can anybody really take a Pickup built on a Minivan platform seriously?
Soccers dads.
Think about it; suburban dwellers that move at most a bag or three of gardening supplies.

They'll sell 50,000 easy, on the Honda name alone.
Heck, Chrysler used to sell a ton of the Omni-based mini-pickups...
Old 09-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Honda has no creditbility at all in the truck business...they cant even build a jeep/suv from the ground up..people who buy pick up tricks actually use them for their purpose more than SUV's...honda would need to actually develop a platform and engines with torque..both things that they have never done before and no track record.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:25 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
people who buy pick up tricks actually use them for their purpose more than SUV's
coughBULLSHITcough coughBULLSHITcough

not at this day in age
Old 09-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I have a small Toyota pickup. My pickup needs are simple and are not heavy duty. The small pickup can haul:

- about any piece of furniture or appliance (fridges, tables, sofas, etc.)

- a load of planting soil that I buy in bulk.

- a load of household junk, household contruction debris, or yard waste (tree trimmings, dead plants, etc.) for delivery to the dumps or recycling facility.

- most importantly, mounting my mountain bike for weekend cycling. (I built a simple portable mount to which my bike attaches upright in the truck's bed.) I dislike those attachments that affix to the rear or top of vehicles! And it's never recommended to lay a bike on its side.

If the Honda pickup can handle 1/4 ton loads without collapsing, then it would meet all of my requirements.

Car-based pickups can be quite useful. Recall the Chevy El Camino and Ford Falcon-based pickups. In Oz, these types of vehicles (utes) are still popular and in production to this day. In Brazil, Chevy has a Montana model that looks a lot like an Opel-based car in the front but with a pickup bed in the rear (but I don't know if it's car-based). Subaru had the Brat and currently has a similar model on the market. Yes, one can laugh at any of these vehicles because they lack the specs or capacities--or ~~machismo~~--of a traditional full-sized gas guzzling pickup, but they are not overkill for many households.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:31 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

I guess the problem lies in what to call it then. It's not a truck; it's not a sedan. The El Camino, the Ranchero, the Brat, the new Baja, and now possibly the Honda "pickup"... they defy classification!

I certainly hope Honda doesn't try to sell it as a "truck". Would you call a Subaru Baja a "truck"?
Old 09-05-2003, 03:05 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Its going to be an entry level truck like a frontier. course i think if i ever bought a truck id have to go with the frontier on this one. i really like how they drive. but thats not bad looking for a sketch, but they wont make it look that sharp in sheetmetal
Old 09-05-2003, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by XPLORx4
[BI guess the problem lies in what to call it then. It's not a truck; it's not a sedan. The El Camino, the Ranchero, the Brat, the new Baja, and now possibly the Honda "pickup"... they defy classification!

I certainly hope Honda doesn't try to sell it as a "truck". Would you call a Subaru Baja a "truck"? [/B]
Cool to see picture! Thanks! It's light duty--ideal for some people.

It's fair to call it a pickup or per the Oz-way, a ute--short for utility. I see no reason not to call its form and function that of a truck.

Today's marketing definition of a truck is pretty meaningless anyway. For example, arguably, all of these vehicles that we call SUVs fit the function and profile of a station wagon, but per some standards they are specifically called trucks.

The term SUV is entirely a contrived marketing term that started sometime back in the Eighties. Before then, what where the urclassic Land Rovers and Range Rovers advertised as? Station wagons! And let's not forget the Yank tanks that have roots back to the Sixties or so, the Wagoneer and the Grand Wagoneer. They were station wagons then, and their equivalent modern models are technically still station wagons! Before then were Willys and Chev Suburbans--all wagons in form and function.

It doesn't matter whether a station wagon is truck-based or car-based or even horse-drawn. History proves that. It's just emotionally uncool to call some "cool" things a station wagon anymore. It proves how effective "lemming" marketing can be. I simply cut through the marketing crap and call them what they are.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:44 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by Brad
It doesn't matter whether a station wagon is truck-based or car-based or even horse-drawn. History proves that. It's just emotionally uncool to call some "cool" things a station wagon anymore. It proves how effective "lemming" marketing can be. I simply cut through the marketing crap and call them what they are.
From a marketing perspective that is true. However, there is a situation where it does make a difference if a vehicle is truck-based or not and that is towing. I know that you can buy minivans and even a Toyota Matrix (!) with "towing packages" and that's probably fine for hauling a little utility trailer or something. For real towing though, nothing beats the stability, safety and capacity of a traditional long-wheelbase, RWD, body-on-frame truck design. More and more I see minivans and short-wheelbase unibody fwd suv's fitted with weight distributing hitches and pulling large(ish) trailers, but I don't think it's very safe. If you want to tow, a real truck is the real deal.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:01 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Part of vehicle classification involves figuring out what safety standards and fuel economy restrictions are required. If a vehicle is classified as a "truck" it may not require the same safety features as a "wagon" or "sedan". I'm not certain what the safety requirements are for "SUV"s but I'm pretty sure "trucks" have much looser requirements for safety and fuel economy than cars.

I wonder what Honda will classify this new vehicle as, and whether it will get sucky fuel economy (like a truck) or good fuel economy.

Anyone know what the EPA vehicle classification standards are? (For example, the TSX is in the "compact" class, while the Accord is in the "midsize" class.)
Old 09-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Certainly heavy towing requires heavier duty gear, but it's not a matter of being a "real" truck. It's a matter of duty, load, relativity, and use. Anything with a bed can be called a pickup truck. Even the diminuative new convertible Citroen can convert to a pickup truck mode. A two-wheel push cart dolly is also known as a truck.

In the world of commercial trucking, none of the conventional traditional "full size pickup trucks" are real trucks. They are more like cars in comparison to long haul commercial vehicles. One indication of that are signs on the highway that direct commercial trucks to certain lanes or turn-offs; typically, those signs say something point blank like "Trucks Only". Those signs _never_ pertain regular pickup trucks.

I would ~guess~ that most pick-up trucks on the road never tow anything. It's like 4x4 wheel vehicles. 90-95% never see service to make use of 4x4 capabilities. But it's a cool marketing thing--aka the "I'm bigger, therefore better" syndrome.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:56 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Brad- interesting comment about commercial trucking distinctions. It's funny how the road sign that says "trucks and autos with trailers: 55 max speed" is commonly understood to exclude pickup trucks that are not towing. I've overheard 18-wheel truck drivers refer to passenger cars (and light trucks) as 4-wheelers. Basically, they identify themselves as trucks and everything else as 4-wheelers (because they have 4 wheels, not necessarily because they are 4WD.)
Old 09-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

XPLORx4: I see you're not far from me. I'm in Redwood City.

Oh ja, I forgot about those "trucks and autos with trailers: 55 max speed" signs. Good point. But does the sign apply to large "big rig" trucks (with or without a trailer) or any truck with a trailer? I'm not sure.

What I find logically odd are the SUVs and minivans that are classified as trucks. Manufacturers often want some models to have that designation because of various regulations, including emission controls and gas mileage averaging. But it's cooler to say a Hummer 2 is a truck rather than station wagon.

If there's a common thread in many of my messages, it's a cynical outlook on the facade and BS that often goes hand-in-hand with some sales and marketing tactics. I relish in cutting through the crap. It's fascinating to see how people "buy" and believe the superficial facades and perceptions that marketing creates. I'm a muckraker at heart.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:28 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

XPLORx4: I see you're not far from me. I'm in Redwood City.

I commute past your city every day on my way to Foster City, where I work.

Oh ja, I forgot about those "trucks and autos with trailers: 55 max speed" signs. Good point. But does the sign apply to large "big rig" trucks (with or without a trailer) or any truck with a trailer?

That speed limit applies to any semi "truck" (i.e. Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc.), whether its trailer is attached or not. It also applies to any other type of vehicle that is towing something, whether it's a Ford Focus with a utility trailer or an F-350 with a 40-foot speedboat. Additionally (this is not typically seen insignage, but is in the California Vehicle Code) any vehicle with a trailer may not legally drive on any lane except the rightmost 2 lanes.

Anyway, back to that Honda "truck"...
Old 09-06-2003, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Honda has no creditbility at all in the truck business...they cant even build a jeep/suv from the ground up..people who buy pick up tricks actually use them for their purpose more than SUV's...honda would need to actually develop a platform and engines with torque..both things that they have never done before and no track record.
hehe... lay off the sauce dude.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Advanced

Found your kinda pick-up truck Gilbo.

http://www.celebratebig.com/roadside...ickuptruck.htm

I'm sure if Honda wanted to they can build a truck just fine. Look at what they did with the CR-V, Odyssey, MDX and Pilot in those parytcular markets. Building RWD and a larger gas guzzling motor is no secret. They realize what a mid size truck should be and I wouldn't be surprised if it could haul 5000+ lbs (or enough for your average small boat or RV) plus carry 4-5 passengers.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Deal Killers for the Honda pickup would be:

- If my bikes don't fit on the bed. Does anyone know how long that short bed is?

- It has to be available in manual tranny. 5-speed really is sufficient. But I know that Marketeering Dept would want to appeal to be different from the competition and offer 6-speed.

- Must be available in 2-wheel drive, since 4-wheel drive vehicles are pretty much useless in the SF Bay Area. I take my bike off-road, not my motor vehicles. The added expense of 4WD is a waste, waste, waste. It also increases maintenance and repair costs. I don't like paying extra for something so profoundly unneeded.

- And how much is this Honda pickup going to cost?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Honda Ridgeline

Originally Posted by 35kcdn
Found your kinda pick-up truck Gilbo.

http://www.celebratebig.com/roadside...ickuptruck.htm

I'm sure if Honda wanted to they can build a truck just fine. Look at what they did with the CR-V, Odyssey, MDX and Pilot in those parytcular markets. Building RWD and a larger gas guzzling motor is no secret. They realize what a mid size truck should be and I wouldn't be surprised if it could haul 5000+ lbs (or enough for your average small boat or RV) plus carry 4-5 passengers.

I did a search for the "Ridgeline and didn't come up with any new posts since its introductiona the Detroit Autoshow or the commercials during Superbowl. We are still looking for a quad cab truck and feel this might be the one. Honad has re-invented the small/medium sized truck. Watch out Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chev and Dodge.

http://automobiles.honda.com/new_mod...ne_compare.asp
Old 02-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by 35kcdn
I did a search for the "Ridgeline and didn't come up with any new posts since its introductiona the Detroit Autoshow or the commercials during Superbowl. We are still looking for a quad cab truck and feel this might be the one. Honad has re-invented the small/medium sized truck. Watch out Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chev and Dodge.

http://automobiles.honda.com/new_mod...ne_compare.asp
you probably should've searched in off topic
Old 02-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by XPLORx4

I guess the problem lies in what to call it then. It's not a truck; it's not a sedan. The El Camino, the Ranchero, the Brat, the new Baja, and now possibly the Honda "pickup"... they defy classification!

I certainly hope Honda doesn't try to sell it as a "truck". Would you call a Subaru Baja a "truck"?
You've got to love these artistic renderings of future models. They got about 0% right

Truth be told, I like this one better than the ridgeline.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Holy resurrection of old threads...
Old 02-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brad
Deal Killers for the Honda pickup would be:

- If my bikes don't fit on the bed. Does anyone know how long that short bed is?

- It has to be available in manual tranny. 5-speed really is sufficient. But I know that Marketeering Dept would want to appeal to be different from the competition and offer 6-speed.

- Must be available in 2-wheel drive, since 4-wheel drive vehicles are pretty much useless in the SF Bay Area. I take my bike off-road, not my motor vehicles. The added expense of 4WD is a waste, waste, waste. It also increases maintenance and repair costs. I don't like paying extra for something so profoundly unneeded.

- And how much is this Honda pickup going to cost?
The Ridgeline will be able to fit in a full 4 X 8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor with no problem. If it can handle that, it can certainly handle your bikes. Hell, it can handle two Honda motorbikes (not motorcycles) in the bed.

It will be only available in the 5 speed automatic transmission, at least at first.

I like the Ridgeline. I know it will have the reliability of a typical Honda. If I were to buy a pickup truck, this would be the one for me. I don't have a boat or anything like that, so I won't be doing any towing.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Instructor

I dunno- maybe it's just me, but I've been finding so many cars and trucks designed in the past few years VERY ugly and poorly executed. I could compile a large list here- the Mitso Evo, the Subaru WRX, the Escalade/Avalanche, the Aztec, etc.
I would add the Honda's new pickup to this list.
All of this makes me appreciate the elegant, understated style of the TSX even more.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If there was a way we could move this to car talk... but we can't.

But it sure isn't TSX Talk, so if you go to Car Talk forum in Off-Topic, you'll find Ridgeline discussion. You'll be able to continue there..