Honda Accord vs TSX--hmmm...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Honda Accord vs TSX--hmmm...

Well--I finally got to drive the 6 speed TSX-- fun car to drive.
I loved the navigation--LOVED! The whole interior is cool as hell..--very futuristic and cool....The braking on the car leaves something to be desired though...the acceleration IMHO was rather tepid compared to my CLS..it definitely has pull when you rev it real high.....this reminded me a lot of the RSX-s I drove awhile back...

--Best deal I could even discuss is about 1000 over invoice...plus 275 doc fee and NO wheel locks or mud flaps etc.....that puts the TSX around 28k plus-----
---I decided to drop by the Honda dealer knowing they had the same navigation.
I drove a 6 cylinder accord. Wow! I was very impressed how much torque this car has...It felt as fast or faster than my cl.
Interior was quite nice as well..very comfortable seats... This car can be had for about 26k(invoice)---but no manual.
The tsx is definitley a bit sexier than the accord with a little better handling...but with some sexy rims on the accord and some nice tint on the windows I think the car would look badass.
I am going back to test drive the 4 cylinder accord manual/navi which can be had for about 23,500. I see it has about the same torque as the tsx and is like 100 pounds lighter. Not the same horsepower though so not sure how that would compare.
Has anyone purchased either of these cars over the TSX? (6 cylinder accord or 4 cyl accord? )
Old 02-27-2004, 05:29 PM
such a dirty birdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one has been beaten to death here (search is your friend), but I drove all three of the cars being discussed and found that the 4cyl Accord had nowhere near the oomph that the TSX has, and the 5MT doesn't have the same precision as the TSX 6MT.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Race Director

interior of the 7th gen accords are really nice and pimping, but i hate the exterior of the sedan! It is v and don't get me wrong i've owned the 3rd gen (1988) and 6th gen (1999) Accords, but their new one is ugly, overweight, and won't age gracefully. the new coupe is nicer than the sedan, but i like the taillights of the coupe, that's all. the 6th gen Accords sedan and coupe looked better than the current Accords. That's why I bought the Tsx, Hondas are getting ugly now except for the s2000.

now if only they could give the engines of the V6 accords to the Tsx. :thinking:
Old 02-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Except for the lack of the pimp lighting, I'd go as far as saying that I like the interior of the Accord coupe more than the TSX's interior, especially the light tan leather interior with the wood trim. Just wish it had a cover for the cupholders.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Racer

Silver,

The Accord EX cpe was one of the first cars I considered to replace my '01 CL-S. But after careful consideration, I decided that the car was much TOO similar (ie driving experience, size, etc) to the car I already had.

After that, I then started to look at the next step up - sports sedans (TSX, 9-3, G35, A4).

My question is, why bother with spending thousands of dollars on a new car that is so similar to the CL? Even though the CL is discontinued, it still (IMHO) is a classier and more powerful car than the Accord. At least the TSX and 9-3 provide that more exhilarating, "glued to the road", fun driving experience.

Doesn't make sense. Unless, of course, you are coming out of a CL lease and you don't want to buy out your CL. Just curious on the mindset.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Drifting

well...

Well kewl...The accord coupe is not even an option. I dont want a coupe and I hate the way it looks anyway. As far as the sedan I actually like the way it looks...a lot...in the right color. For me, that would be black or dark grey with black leather interior.
Not sure of the accord rims but with some nice rims on the car, a spoiler and some tint..I think you would have one bad ass, fuel efficient vehicle
for about 5000-7000 less than either a tsx or Saab aero. (2000 less in 6 cylinder form)--even if I were to go with the 4 cylinder manual I am pretty sure you can get a honddata chip to make it
have more hp.
I would be the first to say though that I think the Saab and the TSX are better looking cars...but not by too much. As far as resale is concerned...I am pretty sure nothing beats the accord...
I'm still thinking...having fun driving all these cars though.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Instructor

I came real close to getting a V6 Accord EX but decided to go with the TSX. Although the Accord is a nice car, especially with the silky smooth V6, the TSX was just funner to drive, looked better and had a better interior overall. The Accord probably is the car I should get for my needs (business car that I'll beat the hell out of) because I can get it cheap (2.9% financing now BTW), it has more room, is a little quieter and has a more cushy ride. I'd still rather spend 3K miles a month in the TSX. I'll agree that the Accord is nice looking as well. The rear doesn't bother me at all. I like the silver w/black interior. Add a trunk lip spoiler and some 35% tint and it's a very nice looking car IMO. I can still change my mind since my TSX hasn't got here yet and the dealer that has my deposit also sells Accords which would make it a smooth transaction adjustment if needed. Go with your gut. I did and went TSX. What's a few extra bucks to smile more during my daily commutes?
Old 02-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't mind the looks, and you want an automatic, the Honda V6 sedan is a fine family sedan. Upgrading it to the TSX's suspension and wheels will cost you more money than simply buying a TSX, and when you're all done, you will have a car that is too front-heavy to keep up with the TSX in the corners. Go on over to TOV and check out their video comparison of the TSX vs. the V6 coupe.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Drifting

well...

Accord may not keep up with TSX in the corners...but the tsx will never keep up with the 6 cyl accord in the straghtaway and passing etc...which is what I would use it more for anyway..
Having said all of this though...I really like the TSX..I just feel the car should be priced along the same lines as the 6 cyl accord..not 2000 more....I know most of that is dealer markup though. I am going to do some more test drives this weekend...
Old 02-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Don't forget that apart from less desirable handling, the Accord V6 does not have any xenon headlights, Sport Shift transmission, interior ambient lighting, 4 year warranty and roadside assistance, if these things are important to you... I think that the price difference is somewhat justified.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:33 AM
TSX Owner

I came from a 150hp 2001 4cyl accord EX to a 200hp TSX, big difference, even though new accord 4 has 10 more hp's (probably will not feel much different than the 150hp). As stated, the TSX ride and handling are superior to the US Accords, if you like sports feel vs cushy feel. The looks are superior to most people as well, inside and out. If you can be happy/satisfied with the performance of the tsx vs the 6cyl accord, you will be getting a better looking, better driving car all around, with upgrades to boot (hids, warranty, etc), and a less common car on the road with the TSX. Also, if performance is the issue, be sure to try out the TSX 6sp, which gets a little more out of the 4cyl ! Take your time, do multiple test drives, and just stare at the body styles/design, something will click sooner or later. You will be getting a great car either choice.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:28 AM
10th Gear

TSX vs Accord vs TL

Personally, I like the TL but cannot swing it as I am also buying a condo, so here's another idea. I thought that since I like the TL the most - it looks to me like a muscle sedan - and could be quite happy with TSX for the short term, since I will be moving up from a 135hp Integra, get the TSX now and maybe in a year or two trade up to the TL or maybe something else that's on the market at the time. Who knows, maybe they'll have a 230-240hp TSX by then?
Old 02-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Drifting

ya

Truth be told I love the new TL...but 34000 is a bit much. I would like to get this car much closer to invoice...
I like the new TSX a lot----but its no TL. I am kinda frustrated at this point...I doubt they will ever have a 230HP TSX---Most people I think would not pay an extra 7-8000 for a sedan with only 40 more HP.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Teh seX

Re: ya

Originally posted by SilverJ
Truth be told I love the new TL...but 34000 is a bit much. I would like to get this car much closer to invoice...
I like the new TSX a lot----but its no TL. I am kinda frustrated at this point...I doubt they will ever have a 230HP TSX---Most people I think would not pay an extra 7-8000 for a sedan with only 40 more HP.
how about you get the tsx, spend an extra 3000 on mods: hondata/intake/headers/exhaust. and a little more work you may very well hit the 240 hp mark...
Old 02-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Silver,
Check out the Accord. I drove a 4cyl. 5spd. and absolutely loved it. Better fuel milage, cheaper 87 octane gas, a few thousand less, cheaper to insure, and yet almost as fast and rather good looking as well. The interior (leather and all) is nicer in my opinion, while the exterior is as nice but still good. If you want high end then maybe the TSX is better, but 0-60 the Accord is almost as good. Also, a guy at the dealership said he likes the shift feel of the Accord better!

Slats
Old 02-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Burning Brakes

vtec.net did a comparision between the Accord 4 and the TSX. They considered the Accord 4's 170 hp engine to be underrated. However, I often find it difficult to locate articles on vtec.net, but it's been referenced on this forum.

As I recall, the current Accord 4 cylinder had handling characteristics not all that different from the TSX. If handling characteristics are important, then it escapes me why a 6-cylinder Accord would be in contention, which has a plusher cushier but numb feel.

I love my TSX, but it was the Accord's very very alienating puffy bloated styling with contrasting sharp-edged light assemblies that kept me from even visiting the Honda showroom. If the Accord had clean styling--like its cousins the Acura TSX and the Acura TL--then I would have seriously considered the 4 cylinder Accord. Of course, it would have had to have been MT, bar none.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Banned

Same boat here. Everything pushes me toward the Accord. Specially the endearing V6; I became addictive. Except the ugly front part. This alone and ESP makes me want the TSX. I don't care about Xenon, Premium gas and 17", items adding just more expenses in maintenance.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Maybe this was Honda's plan - boost TSX sales by making the Accord so ugly (IMO) that would be Accord buyers purchased their first Acura (TSX), possibly leading to their 2nd and 3rd Acuras one day
Old 02-29-2004, 09:35 AM
10th Gear

TSX vs. Accord

Sorry, I cannot bring myself to get an Accord for the same styling complaints that others have mentioned. Besides, before the TSX my eyes were on an A4 and I read that the TSX 2.4 beat the A4 3.0 by 2 tenths of a second. And I happen to like the Acura seats better than any other seats like the one's in my current integra, Are they Recaro's that Acura uses?

Also for those who own the TSX, I noticed that the metal shifter knob on the 6-speed conducted the cold when I test-drove the TSX a few months ago. Do you find that also? I guess I can always change that fairly easily.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:33 AM
10th Gear

Drove a 6 speed, 6 cylinder Accord coupe before buying the TSX and damned glad I made the right decision.

The Accord is "Americanized" and is designed to appeal to middle American drivers who want a cushy ride.

The TSX is a driver's car, period.

Depends on where your priorities lie.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:28 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs up TSx vs. Accord

Well said.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TSX vs. Accord

Originally posted by mako59
Also for those who own the TSX, I noticed that the metal shifter knob on the 6-speed conducted the cold when I test-drove the TSX a few months ago. Do you find that also? I guess I can always change that fairly easily.
Lol! It has been a cold winter in Minny, and you learn not to grab the shift nob with the palm of your hand. This is not really a problem -- you learn to shift with your fingers. The tranny is sooo good, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:01 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: TSX vs. Accord

Originally posted by Iceman
Lol! It has been a cold winter in Minny, and you learn not to grab the shift nob with the palm of your hand. This is not really a problem -- you learn to shift with your fingers. The tranny is sooo good, it doesn't matter.
I wear black leather driving gloves
Old 03-03-2004, 11:11 AM
10th Gear

Shifter knob

They have heated seats but not a heated knob, you should pardon the expression.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Re: Re: Re: TSX vs. Accord

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
I wear black leather driving gloves
couldn't live w/o them