Hoen USA or ExtremeBrightLEDs.com

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoen USA or ExtremeBrightLEDs.com

I am looking for a pair of white light rear license plate lights! What are your opinions on Hoen and ExtremeBrightLED's? Who offers better quality w/ pricing considered? How many LED's do each offer and what is the correct bulb size. Direct links are appreciated and unbiased opinions are more than welcome.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Moved to the general discussion section as the topic is not performance parts related. Please make a note of it.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slickrab
I am looking for a pair of white light rear license plate lights! What are your opinions on Hoen and ExtremeBrightLED's? Who offers better quality w/ pricing considered? How many LED's do each offer and what is the correct bulb size. Direct links are appreciated and unbiased opinions are more than welcome.

Most of my LEDs are from superbrightleds.com. I did have an issue specifically with my license plate set, so I went to autolumination.com and got their Super High Flux low profile 194 bulbs. Been in almost a month now and zero issue. I have Hoen's H11 Xenonmatch bulbs in my fogs and Hoen is unmatched in qaulity, but I would say using their W5W bulbs are the safest bet for reliability, but won't be as intense white as the LEDs.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Just ordered my Super High Flux low profile 194 bulbs a couple of days ago. Seen them on a local members PWP TSX and they are very bright. Sold me. I've tried a 6LED bulb before. They were okay but started flickering after a few months. Hope these new bulbs hold up.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Just ordered my Super High Flux low profile 194 bulbs a couple of days ago. Seen them on a local members PWP TSX and they are very bright. Sold me. I've tried a 6LED bulb before. They were okay but started flickering after a few months. Hope these new bulbs hold up.
A little hint....

When you go to install them, bend the pins in the socket inward just a little. This will clamp down a little more on the 194 base. I've noticed that the glass bulbs tend to be ever so slightly bigger. I think vibration and base fitment was the killer of our 6LEDs more than anything else. I still have the 6LEDs in my door going strong, but those bulbs have a soild socket that is held in place where as the license plate socket is somewhat loose (e.g. you can move it around after it is in place).
Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso
Moved to the general discussion section as the topic is not performance parts related. Please make a note of it.

What, these don't increase my whp by using less power. GEESH!!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Here is what the extremebrightled.com responded with.

"The 12-LED, 9-LED and 6-LED and the High Power wide angle bulbs will fit the TSX. Please check my auctions for the items you need. "

Has anyone else tried any of these for their license plate lights?

Do the Hoen license W5W give off white light to that Lexus IS250/350 look?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they charge way too much for these LED's... I bought some 6 LED bulbs for the license plate lights before and they started flickering after 6 months or so.

.......then I bought ones from ebay with one BIG LED (they call them inverted wide angle or some crap like that), and they are as bright. More than one year and no problems so far. I think they were like $3 a pair shipped or something.

I think the issue with the multi-LED bulbs is that they are poorly soldered, when you install it on the trunk (which gets a lot of vibration from opening/closing), they fail easily. One problem you don't get with the single big LED bulbs.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just thought of sharing... I think these are the ones I bought, same seller if I remember correctly. I figured can't go wrong for less than $3 shipped, and satisified so far....

link
Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

I will go ahead and purchase the Hoen H11 white fog light bulbs and the W5W license plate bulb. Anyone agree or disagree on my decision. Better substitutes?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Car Nut

Let me know what you think when you get them. I'm also looking at the Hoen Xenonmatch H11s, and I need to be sure they're what I want, as the price to get them shipped to Canada is outrageous!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 AM
5th Gear

Smile 6-LED License plate flickering after 6 months

Hello,

If you guys want to install the LED bulbs in your license plate, the best choice is the High Power Wide Angle bulbs. Since this kind of bulbs has wider angle, it gives a look just like the IS250 or IS350.

For the reason why 6-LED bulbs flickering after centain period, it is because when the license plate lights are on, the current of the car is changing and it affect the LED bulbs. For the High Power bulbs, the new LED chip design won't have this problem.

Yes, I also have the 6-LED, 9-LED and 12-LED license plate bulbs for sell. Why? Because customers want to have a Extreme Bright look of their license plate by the 12-LED bulbs. I offer Lifetime Warranty. No matter what goes bad, send it back for a new bulb(s), no shipping charge.

Thanks,
Jacky

www.ExtremeBrightLEDs.com
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The nearest that you will get to the Lexus IS250 license plate lights will be these at superbrightleds.com WLED-WHP LED Wedge Base Bulbs; High Power - Pure White 194/168 wedge base bulb.

I have had them on my car for almost 8 months and they are bright, don't flicker and stay in place or get loose. i would highly recommend those. Also I would highly recommend the Hoen H11 fog bulbs since I've had them for over a year & a half and they haven't failed me of using them mostly everyday for the past year & a half.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM
2006 ASM tsx

whatever you do dont buy from superbrightleds...
when i got into my wreck
i bought one of the wled bulbs that runs 5$ each for the corner light...
2wks later one of them went out.. and i sent a polite email and got a weak response:
theres a warning sticker on each bulb saying not to place by headlights... which was not true for me.. but bulb only talked bout polarity....

i reply again with that
and get well each bulb comes stickered.. and is not supposed to be placed in a headlight case.. because the headlight bulb is hot..
i then mentioned that its hids and run cooler... and got the same response again boo hoo for you. you can go buy another bulb....

thewhole time i even told them i was interested in buying the $25 reverse bulbs.. and they still wouldnt just give me the wled bulb in fair judgement.

i even asked why the other bulb didnt go out.. and the response was: oh it will....
i took the wled out of my license plate lights.. and it HAS not gone out.. and its been a month now..

horrible customer service.
i'm going to autolumination now for my reverse bulbs!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM
2006 ASM tsx

whatever you do dont buy from superbrightleds...
when i got into my wreck
i bought one of the wled bulbs that runs 5$ each for the corner light...
2wks later one of them went out.. and i sent a polite email and got a weak response:
theres a warning sticker on each bulb saying not to place by headlights... which was not true for me.. but bulb only talked bout polarity....

i reply again with that
and get well each bulb comes stickered.. and is not supposed to be placed in a headlight case.. because the headlight bulb is hot..
i then mentioned that its hids and run cooler... and got the same response again boo hoo for you. you can go buy another bulb....

thewhole time i even told them i was interested in buying the $25 reverse bulbs.. and they still wouldnt just give me the wled bulb in fair judgement.

i even asked why the other bulb didnt go out.. and the response was: oh it will....
i took the wled out of my license plate lights.. and it HAS not gone out.. and its been a month now..

horrible customer service.
i'm going to autolumination now for my reverse bulbs!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Cruisin'

your lights could be going out because of the 2004 tsx recall.....

http://auto-recalls.justia.com/conte...-TSX-2004.html
Old 09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
Just thought of sharing... I think these are the ones I bought, same seller if I remember correctly. I figured can't go wrong for less than $3 shipped, and satisified so far....

link
Can you link to an ebay auction? I've got the superbrightled whp high power single led for my license plate lights. They are brighter and sturdier than the 6leds from hoen (which also flickered and crapped out on me in two months), but the whp is not quite as bright as I'd like. There's a dead zone in the middle of the plate because these bulbs face outward instead of downward and wide angle onto the plate. I've seen someone try these in a thread for an 09's tsx (http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-501-W5W-Fla...742.m153.l1262 ), but I don't know whether they'll be any more or less bright than the whp's from superbright. Anyone have thoughts on how to get a more even light output with a single led and not using the whp from superbright? The ebay auction I linked to has the led's pointing down, which is the best direction for these bulbs.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
(this post repeats some info..but I couldn't edit the last one)

The whp's are preferable over any multi-led light, but I just wish I could find a single led light for my plate that would have a wider angle so that there isn't a darker space inbetween the two lights. The issue is that the bulbs for the plate lights point out horizontally from their sockets, instead of straight down onto the plate. Of course, this isn't a problem if you're using incandescents, but it doesn't work very well for led's. If we want to get close to lexus stock, we still have to look for bright leds (unless you want to go the cold cathode route $$$) that are single led types, are extremely bright, AND have a wide enough angle bulb to allow the light to bathe the entire license plate in light. Those of you who have the whp's from superbrights know what I'm talking about. Anyone have an answer or compared some of these bulbs?

multi-led bulbs are out of the question as they end up flickering after awhile...