Hmm, this is interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, this is interesting.

Hey guys, try this at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you break something.

So this is the only 4 cylinder car that I have, everything else that i own has a good ole American V8. The TSX is peppy but not quick by any means. My biggest gripe with the car has been that you can not shift this car fast. It starts bucking an bogging. Now if you haven't experienced this you probably can't shift as fast as I can. Turning off the VSA had no effect on this issue and I just learned to live with it.

I had always wondered what would happen if you shifted it like a drag car. A lot of guys that run manual transmissions at the strip do not lift off the gas and just bounce it off the rev limiter. Now I tried this on the tsx, gas to the floor clutch shift. The VSA went nuts and it slowed down but it did not bog. So I turned the VSA off came to a stop and tried it again. This time instead of a bog while shifting to second I had the sweet sound of tires trying their hardest to grab the pavement. Rowed through all the gears and it was pure bliss(well as much as a 205 hp 3,200lb car can give you). Tried this a couple of times and it was not a fluke.

Now here comes the interesting part. I would shift right around 7,200 rpm. Now when I would push in the clutch the rpms seemed to stay constant. The did not continue to climb. I did not hit the rev limiter at any point. This seems to be the way the drive by wire is programmed.

Give it a try if you have the guts to do so.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I think I'll keep my tranny in one piece thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

wouldn't doing the above just wear the clutch faster?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
As long as you don't let go of the gas completely, the car shouldn't "bog". I've taught my right foot to only let go of the gas pedal to 5% throttle...this keeps the injectors running
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, I don't think these cars have the traction or the power to grenade the transmission. But you never know. The synchros will have to work a bit harder, but keeping your transmission fluid in good shape should prevent problems.

Anytime you drive the car hard you'll wear the clutch. I'm not saying you have to drive like this all the time. Just when you want to have a little fun. Actually depending on how good the clutch grabs and how fast you can shift this could *theoretically* extend clutch life. I know that on automatic vehicles faster shifts improve clutch pack life due to less heat being generated from not slipping the friction surfaces.

Trojan, I've tried lifting the gas ever so slightly while shifting fast and the car still would bog. If I slowed my shifts down a bit it would be fine with lifting a little bit.

With the gas to the floor, the throw of the shifter finally becomes and issue. I might actually invest in the short throw base.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the hondata reflash helps with this all well ??
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
jdm whore

its probably due to the dbw throttle.. i know in my sti, which is also dbw, it did the same thing mostly in second.. but with a good custom tune it went away..
Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
"Professional driver on closed course." C'mon, Gues2, stop lollygagging, get the gf a digicam and post this on YouTube.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by davidspalding
"Professional driver on closed course." C'mon, Gues2, stop lollygagging, get the gf a digicam and post this on YouTube.

+1

Besides... who claims that you can't shift as fast as I can? Thats like saying my dad can beat up your dad. OUR DADS WILL NEVER FIGHT SO NOBODY WILL EVEN FIND OUT!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 AM
Banned

I thought if you hit redline it killed the gas, so does this mean that if the clutch is depressed it won't do that?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the redline and the fuel cut off points are at diff rpms. The fuel cut off is slightly higher then redline. You could go to redline with out hitting fuel cutoff but it's only a diff. of like 2-300 rpm
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Cruisin'

Here's the Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17XBW5OZdOM

Just kidding.

I tried to take some videos on the drive into work today. Seemed like I either got a video of the bottom of the steering wheel or the sunvisor. Small camera's are nice but they sure are hard to keep in one position when you have them between your chin and your chest. I'll have to get my cousin to ride along. He works second shift though so a video might not come till Monday.

The hesitation, bogging, stumble, or whatever you want to call it is due to the DBW programming. I did a lot of reading on this once I realized it did this. I know the Civic SI guys were having the same issue. I guess the S2000 Doesn't have a problem.

Also from what I have read the Hondata does not help this issue at all. The stayed away from DBW programming due to legal implications.

Here is a video of a preluede powershifting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ37_nYyA9M Notice how the rpms quick jump higher when the clutch is depressed. I didn't notice them doing that on the TSX. But then again I was trying to keep my eyes on the road at the same time.

I wasn't stating that I'm the fasest shifter around. I've been with people that think they can really drive/shift well when the fact is that they can't. It does make a difference in the times you run, just look up Evan Smith, he can take almost any car that has been tested before and can knock off 3-4 tenths in the quarter mile.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gues2

Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 AM

Exclamation

REREAD MY LAST POST, PLEASE. Don't do any hot shot maneuvers while trying to operate a camera yourself! We don't want either citations, collisions or injuries on our heads. Make no mistake, I am NOT encouraging you to break the law or do any wild stunts outside of a controlled environment. Period. End quote.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Cruisin'

Here's a video of a guy from the TSX Club forums powershifting and missing 4th.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.?f...VideoID=9223047

Also here's a good article on the "Art" of powershifting.

http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/drag_strip/powershift.htm
Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Now I remember why I don't buy used cars.......
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by poltergeist
Now I remember why I don't buy used cars.......
No doubt. I think if you're pushing your car that hard, you may have bought the wrong one.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

I recognize the laggy feeling he's referring to, and it's annoying by itself, regardless of the performance.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
No doubt. I think if you're pushing your car that hard, you may have bought the wrong one.

exactly.........
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Here's a video of a guy from the TSX Club forums powershifting and missing 4th.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.?f...VideoID=9223047 ...
Broken link. Try a URL shrinking site (which is being filtered by the BBS, for reasons unknown).

I don't think OP is describing his first start of the daily morning commute, just some rare experimentation and fun-seeking. Interesting comments and conjecture all the same. Still, this is the kind of risky stuff that is IMHO best done under controlled circumstances and with some supervision and help nearby. By controlled, I could mean a track, or just a road that's illegally blocked off for a few minutes while the driver does his thing with no other drivers or pedestrians providing unseen hazards. I really dislike the thought that this kind of stuff is being done where others could be hurt by something unexpected. A fatality is preventable, but you have to be proactive about it.

(clips from the spectacular Initial D movie in my head)
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdepasqu2
exactly.........
me too!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Cruisin'

Try this link. http://vids.myspace.com/index.?fusea...ideoID=9223047

I drive the car like a grandma most of the time. I have come close to the 500 mile mark on a tank of gas, I think it was 478 miles or something like that.

You are right, this car is the wrong one for my personal tastes. Don't get me wrong it's really nice and I get compliments on it all the time, but it's a little too slow.

I have a good 55 minute commute to work right now with a few onramps that serve well for testing. Not as safe as a closed course, but this isn't a alcohol burning drag car we're talking about.

Time to start saving up for the 2009 CTS-V.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

I just read a more detailed how to on power shifting. I don't think this is the right car for that stuff, at least not for another ten-fifteen years. It's too nice of a car and I don't believe this is harmless even if you're very fast. The near certainty of this causing wear and the likelihood of outright damage if you slip up should limit this to throw away cars or dedicated street racing cars. Or maybe you're just the kind of driver pa warned me about.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Nope. Not sure why ... MySpace sucks? Oh (-clue-) I'm on FF1.5 on RHEL5.
I have a good 55 minute commute to work right now with a few onramps that serve well for testing. Not as safe as a closed course, but this isn't a alcohol burning drag car we're talking about.
(nods) I have a 30 min commute with some nice spots. Some uphill onramps. (One at Hillsborough I visit monthly is wicked, a steep uphill feeding into 65mph (effectively 70mph) zone with short merge lane. I feared doing it in my 20 yo Jeep YJ, even with a 4.2L I-6 under the hood.) On the daily commute, there's a new, pristine onramp with a sharp right (posted 30mph; done 45-50), followed immediately by a slow, banked left (posted 45mph; done 50-63) that ends in a downhill merge into very sparse, 65mph traffic. Though I think I can sense DBW lag (and perhaps occasional VSA interference, though I'm not sure what I'm watching for), I do appreciate that the throttle, in the right gear at the right RPM, gives me pretty good responsiveness. The 1st and 2nd gear feel oddball on straights, but in those curves, I grok what the engineers are trying to give me.

I find myself seeking out these fun spots, for the first time in a long time. With a Jeep YJ, you look for pretty two-lane country roads with scenery; farmer's daughter settings. With this ride, I enjoy smooth, young ones with interesting curves and sassy attitudes. ... ahem, I'm 'bout talking roads, guys. :P