Are the headlights automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the headlights automatic?

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2004 TSX and one thing I forgot to ask the dealer and do not see in the literature is the headlights... are they automatic?

Do they turn on when it gets dark automatically? Do they stay on for a minute or so after you turn the car off?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They will turn off automagically but they don't turn on when it gets dark.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

What happens if you leave the light switch in the "on" when you turn the car off? They automatically turn off after a while?

Any other advice for someone considering a TSX MT6?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:51 PM
-phase-

if you leave the headlights in the 'on' position and turn off the car..the chime will go off when you open the door..and the lights will turn off automatically..use the remote to lock the car and the lights should turn off and back on...when using the remote to unlock the car..the lights will turn on for like 10 seconds..then off again, open the driver's door and the light will turn on..i leave my lights in the 'on' position all the time.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They turn off after a minute or so when if you leave the switch on and turn off the car. It will beep to remind you that you've left the lights on but if you just ignore it they will turn off.

What are you driving now?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:54 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They dont automatically turn on and off via a sensor , like some cars do (mostly gm i think? ). But they will turn off automatically if you accidentally leave them on when you turn the car off.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Intermediate

My current car is an 2002 Grand Cherokee Special Edition. It has the auto-headlight feature which I really like.

The 2005 Altima SE, the runner up to the TSX, has auto-headlights.

Yesterday (Saturday) I met with the Acura dealer and we worked up some numbers for a Silver MT6 no navigation. Added a spoiler, all weather mats, cargo mat, and splash guards.

I am thinking I should get navigation though... any one have an opinion? and how much I should expect to pay?
Old 05-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
It's sad to think that the purchase of a car might hinge on the fact that you have to lift a finger to turn on your lights.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:10 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by biker
It's sad to think that the purchase of a car might hinge on the fact that you have to lift a finger to turn on your lights.
But you need not go through the physical exertion of raising your arm to flip up the rear view mirror, since it's automatic!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I guess the flip side is it so hard to include this feature? Seems Acura could make it standard for cheap ... is there a downside to this feature?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:37 AM

its a nice to have feature, but not one to base purchasing a vehicle on
Old 05-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Well, if you are comaparing the Alitma to the TSX, not even a contest. Once you are drive a TSX and feel teh build quality and just the sense of luxury, the Altima is not even in the ballpark. Spend the $25,500 and get a TSX, sure you will save a few $$ with the Alty, but come 5 years, the Alty will be worth 75% of that of the TSX, if your lucky.

I myself, was looking at a 04 Maxima, but just could not justify spendign $2-3k more for less of a car. Sure, the Nissan's have the beef in the engine (tuff to argue with the 285HP in the Max), but its the overall package and refinement that ends the question real quick.

I picked mine up on Friday and realize how much buyers remorse I would have had if I had gone with the Maxima........

I can't imagine wanting much more from a car than what the TSX gave me for $25,999................I will likely be a TSX owner as long as they make them and keep them similarly priced..........the value is truly unmatched......
Old 05-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

You are jumping to an erroneous conclusion.

The fact of the matter is there's no "good" reason Acura does not have this feature, and it's not clearly documented on any of the literature.

When you've been driving cars that have auto-headlights, such as in the rain, in tunnels, and parking garages, it becomes a nice feature.

A deal-breaker? Not necessarily. Have all the paperwork right here to fill out on the TSX... just deciding on Navi or not.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:36 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I dont think david ever said this was a deal breaker. He was just curious.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Master in Science

Yes, it automatically blinds everyone every time you hit a bump.

Hence, people hate being in front of you and get out of the way. I love it!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Top notch 6MT

Question Thread revival - how to disable headlight chime?

Originally Posted by tigerfan85
if you leave the headlights in the 'on' position and turn off the car..the chime will go off when you open the door..and the lights will turn off automatically..use the remote to lock the car and the lights should turn off and back on...when using the remote to unlock the car..the lights will turn on for like 10 seconds..then off again, open the driver's door and the light will turn on..i leave my lights in the 'on' position all the time.
So I've used the search funtion to find this to contain discussion most closely related to a question I have. I know exactly how our "automatic headlights" functions and I leave my lights at the 'on' position all the time for I like the Xenon look even during daylight.

My question is how can I disable the headlight chime that reminds me they are at 'on' when I leave my door open?

Where is that chime and its power source? I am hoping to be able to just unplug that individual circuit. I don't want to be cutting wires though, for may need to re-enable it down the road when I sell or get involved in some warranty stuff...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
So I've used the search funtion to find this to contain discussion most closely related to a question I have. I know exactly how our "automatic headlights" functions and I leave my lights at the 'on' position all the time for I like the Xenon look even during daylight.

My question is how can I disable the headlight chime that reminds me they are at 'on' when I leave my door open?

Where is that chime and its power source? I am hoping to be able to just unplug that individual circuit. I don't want to be cutting wires though, for may need to re-enable it down the road when I sell or get involved in some warranty stuff...
That sounds like a question for our resident electronics expert, Elduderino. Send him a PM and he might be able to help you out.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Pimp Master T

Ok, but what is the sensor on the dash, in the manual it says it is a light sensor, does it not? I have to go read it again.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BigTSX
Ok, but what is the sensor on the dash, in the manual it says it is a light sensor, does it not? I have to go read it again.
If you're referring to the one at the base of the windshield, that is an outside light sensor to detect to amount of light/infared and adjust the climate control accordingly.

If you're talking about the one near the steering column, that is a temperature sensor for the interior.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
They will turn off automagically but they don't turn on when it gets dark.
lol, was that a typo or did you mean it?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Yes, the sensor on the dash is a light sensor but for your dash lights, not the headlights..... btw I'm originally from Ottawa.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Racer

all i can say is

"if you can dish out some extra cash for the navi do it if not you will regret it later after reading all the cool navi threads there are here"
Old 04-14-2005, 12:26 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
That sounds like a question for our resident electronics expert, Elduderino. Send him a PM and he might be able to help you out.
Don't forget to post what he tells you
Old 04-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by flopez82
all i can say is

"if you can dish out some extra cash for the navi do it if not you will regret it later after reading all the cool navi threads there are here"

Looks like davidct has already made his decision with a '04 6MT w/ Nav months ago
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...18&postcount=1

I just posted my auto-headlights related question here instead of making a new thread... was that OK?

By the way, I was also confused with the "automatic headlights" feature when I first read it in the sales brochure. But auto-ON function doesn't matter to me, I would have always overriden it and make the lights on all the time anyway.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Don't forget to post what he tells you
Sure will do
Old 04-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Pimp Master T

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Yes, the sensor on the dash is a light sensor but for your dash lights, not the headlights
Ahh, ok, I understand now. In the manual I think it just says light sensor, no explaination, I could be wrong.

..... btw I'm originally from Ottawa.
Cool, I'm originally from Labrador, moved here about three years ago and love it here
Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Glad to help. Wow! You were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up there!! I lived here and there but was born in Ottawa. Have lived in Florida for the past 7 years.........Love it here too!!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Yes, the sensor on the dash is a light sensor but for your dash lights, not the headlights..... btw I'm originally from Ottawa.
Is that a Canadian TSX thing? My TSX doesn't have a light sensor to control the dash lights, it has a little knob that you can turn to brighten or dim the dash lights. According to my manual, the light sensor on the dash is used in conjunction with the automatic climate control, as originally posted by CGTSX2004.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by manavi
Is that a Canadian TSX thing? My TSX doesn't have a light sensor to control the dash lights, it has a little knob that you can turn to brighten or dim the dash lights. According to my manual, the light sensor on the dash is used in conjunction with the automatic climate control, as originally posted by CGTSX2004.
No no, nothing to do with or model on this one.

You are correct, as is CGTSX2004 regarding the light sensor on the dash/base of windshield being part of the automatic climate control.

Just ignore the other comment from the other user (won't name names here, ) on this sensor thing
Old 04-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Pimp Master T

Originally Posted by manavi
Can somebody explain exactly how this works??
Old 04-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Top notch 6MT

Can somebody explain exactly how this works??
How what works? The headlights auto-off feature? Or the light sensor and tempreature sensor for the auto-climate control?

If it's the auto-climate sensors, what CGTSX2004 said (pasted below) describes the sensors' individual purpose.
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
If you're referring to the one at the base of the windshield, that is an outside light sensor to detect to amount of light/infared and adjust the climate control accordingly.

If you're talking about the one near the steering column, that is a temperature sensor for the interior.
If it's the headlights auto-off feature, it's clearly described in the manual... so you can The gist is that the headlights will automatically turn off after you shut off the car EVEN if the headlights switch is still at the ON position. The length of the auto-off delay depends if you leave the key in the ignition and NOT open driver's door is like 10 minutes. But if you take the key out and exit (via driver's door), the delay is like 30 seconds or something. Again, this is all in the freaking manual.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Pimp Master T

How what works? The headlights auto-off feature? Or the light sensor and tempreature sensor for the auto-climate control?

If it's the auto-climate sensors, what CGTSX2004 said (pasted below) describes the sensors' individual purpose.

If it's the headlights auto-off feature, it's clearly described in the manual... so you can The gist is that the headlights will automatically turn off after you shut off the car EVEN if the headlights switch is still at the ON position. The length of the auto-off delay depends if you leave the key in the ignition and NOT open driver's door is like 10 minutes. But if you take the key out and exit (via driver's door), the delay is like 30 seconds or something. Again, this is all in the freaking manual.
It was the first I was confused about. So, what does the amout of light outside have to do with the climate control??
Old 04-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Top notch 6MT

It was the first I was confused about. So, what does the amout of light outside have to do with the climate control??
My guess is that the computer controlling the auto-climate can take into account of how much sunlight from outside can be affecting the interior tempreature and even humidity.

A highly simpliflied scenario to illustrate my thinking...
Interior temprature is 3 degrees C (I am a metrics guy) below the requested mark.

A) If it detects NO sunlight whatsoever, activates heat and fan at say 40% speed to increase cabin temprature

B) If it detects DIRECT sunlight beaming on the car, activates heat and fan at probably just 20% speed and assumes the sun can do the rest of the heating up.

Just my
Old 04-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Team Owner

My guess is that the computer controlling the auto-climate can take into account of how much sunlight from outside can be affecting the interior tempreature and even humidity.

A highly simpliflied scenario to illustrate my thinking...
Interior temprature is 3 degrees C (I am a metrics guy) below the requested mark.

A) If it detects NO sunlight whatsoever, activates heat and fan at say 40% speed to increase cabin temprature

B) If it detects DIRECT sunlight beaming on the car, activates heat and fan at probably just 20% speed and assumes the sun can do the rest of the heating up.

Just my
Good start...

It really is more for warm days than it is for cool days. On warm days, when you are exposed to the sun, you will feel warmer, and thus require additional cooling (temperature variance can be as much as 10ºF between exposed sunlight and shade). Without the extra sunlight, the climate control can actually throttle back the fan speed and control the temperature appropriately.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
(mostly gm i think? )

Rendezvous