Headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:28 AM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight issues

Hi folks,

After more than a year with my TSX, I can say that I really like this car. It handles great and is just plain fun to drive. My biggest complaint is the HID's. I admit they provide superior illumination compared with any halogen set-up but the cut-off line is mildly annoying. The biggest problem I have with the HID's is many other drivers think I'm driving with the high beams on. My lights are at the proper level, just had the state inspection, they haven't moved since I bought the car. I was driving my wife's car one day and she was in the TSX behind me at night. Any undulation in the road that caused the TSX's front end to raise up appears as if the TSX is "flashing" the high beams. This experience made me realize how often people must think we're doing that. It's quite annoying and I don't know what we can do about it. Just last week, after driving behind someone for about 5 miles (at least 10 car lengths in between) they slowed down got into my lane behind me, and turned on their high beams. My lights were on low, as always, it's just the damn projector beams are so bright. I know it looks as if we are flashing them. I guess it will be more common as more cars have HID's. Just venting. Any thoughts? What about self-levelling HID's?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Faster, please.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the same experiences. Now at night I'm so paranoid that oncoming cars are going to flash me I tend to drive with my left hand on the light selector ready to flash them back. It is a little annoying but what can you do?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:05 AM
You all suck.

Well, I raised my HID's so there is no "flashing" effect. When people high beam me, I throw on my high beams to show that they weren't already on.

The cut-off line really annoyed me when I was trying to read road signs. The cut-off was so low that within 75-100 feet the signs were no longer lit.

I raised the driver's side 0.5" at a 5' measurement, and the passenger light 1" at 5'.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I usually just flash them back if they flash me. Then they realize that it's not the highs and stop. Simple enough.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Baka Unco

Originally Posted by TdotSSTSX
Well, I raised my HID's so there is no "flashing" effect. When people high beam me, I throw on my high beams to show that they weren't already on.

The cut-off line really annoyed me when I was trying to read road signs. The cut-off was so low that within 75-100 feet the signs were no longer lit.

I raised the driver's side 0.5" at a 5' measurement, and the passenger light 1" at 5'.
But now you've effectively turned them into high beams, so people are "flashing" you with reason.

The definite cut off is a definite factor HID/projector type setups. In fact the NHSTA is looking into the "problem". This excerpt is from a Consumer Reports article:

GLARE: WHY HIDs CAN CAUSE MORE
Ironically, the same attributes that tend to endear HID headlights to many drivers who have them can account for the lights’ added glare. The major ones:

That blue hue. Experts say that the blue-white tint of high-density discharge headlights can be uncomfortable for oncoming drivers. "The short wavelengths that make the light blue seem to be more glaring," says Rea. He adds that glare increases with age as eyes grow more sensitive to scattered light.

When side light shifts. An HID’s added side light can be a problem on winding roads as right curves aim that light at oncoming drivers.

More wet-weather glare. Added light directly in front of an HID-equipped vehicle can be reassuring from the driver’s seat. But lots of foreground light can also reflect off wet roads and up toward oncoming traffic, creating more glare for drivers coming toward you.

A sharper cutoff. HID headlights tend to define the top of their beams with a sharp horizontal line, compared with most halogens’ smoother fade to darkness. Bumpy roads can cause that sharp beam to flash at oncoming drivers and in the mirrors of cars ahead as it bounces in and out of view.

Glare can be a problem even on smooth, multilaned highways when HID-equipped SUVs are in the left lane. Our test staff found that the higher-mounted lights on those vehicles tended to accentuate HID lights’ sharp cutoff and wide right-side lighting, causing the light to shine directly into the mirrors of vehicles in the right lane.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered Loser

Is the adjustment hard?

I went looking for a thread about the headlights and voila, there this was. I just took my brandy-new TSX out on the road last night for the first time (in the dark). I live in a wooded area, and the cutoff between the lit and unlit was like a black curtain hanging down to within 10' of the ground. It was almost freaky. Apparently this is a well known issue - -Consumer Reports gave a black circle to the TSX's lights, so I guess they didn't like it either.
How hard is it to raise up the headlight beam? Wouldn't this make other drivers even more PO'd then they already are (based on the other comments)?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
Hi folks,

After more than a year with my TSX, I can say that I really like this car. It handles great and is just plain fun to drive. My biggest complaint is the HID's. I admit they provide superior illumination compared with any halogen set-up but the cut-off line is mildly annoying. The biggest problem I have with the HID's is many other drivers think I'm driving with the high beams on. My lights are at the proper level, just had the state inspection, they haven't moved since I bought the car. I was driving my wife's car one day and she was in the TSX behind me at night. Any undulation in the road that caused the TSX's front end to raise up appears as if the TSX is "flashing" the high beams. This experience made me realize how often people must think we're doing that. It's quite annoying and I don't know what we can do about it. Just last week, after driving behind someone for about 5 miles (at least 10 car lengths in between) they slowed down got into my lane behind me, and turned on their high beams. My lights were on low, as always, it's just the damn projector beams are so bright. I know it looks as if we are flashing them. I guess it will be more common as more cars have HID's. Just venting. Any thoughts? What about self-levelling HID's?

Regarding the HIDs, I've had simiar thoughts and experiences to everyone else. Once in a while, somebody will flash their brights at me. As far as pissing off drivers ahead, I just make sure I keep a reasonable/courteous following distance. I figure it's not unlike having a big SUV/truck in the rear view mirror at night -- as long as they're not being an ass and tailgaiting, it's just something that goes with driving at night -- not that big of a deal. If they can't handle it, they should let you pass.

(This coming from a guy who's generally overly-concerned about offending others)

I love driving my TSX at night At first it was trippy, but now I'm hooked on the projector HIDs.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Instructor

I've never been in another car with hids so I was wondering if they did he same thing. Like BMW, Lexus for example. Do they have those cutoffs too?

The hid cutoff was my first annoyance when I got my car. It would line up at the trunk of the car in front of me but when I hit those bumps I can see it flash up to their rearview mirror. Before I got my car, cars with hids that came up from behind me would seem like they're playing with their highbeams. I usually change lanes because of it. I just came to expect it from cars with hids and just avoid them. But now I have them.

So my question is again, do other hids have the cutoff line?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Instructor

The Audi's and Porsches with xenons that I've worked with in Germany all use a weighted electronic control that aligns the headlights based upon the car's attitude/angle. As the car hits a bump the headlights adjust with the motion. The TSX headlights are fixed and use a cutoff which is an inexpensive means of preventing the glare but due to they're being fixed these cutoffs don't help whenever the car hits a bump which raises the nose of the car and hence the cutoff point offending oncoming drivers.
I haven't received many flashes from other drivers but the lights sure are bright and I love the way in which they cover 3 lanes+ of the highway !
Old 10-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Baka Unco

Originally Posted by rivvin
I've never been in another car with hids so I was wondering if they did he same thing. Like BMW, Lexus for example. Do they have those cutoffs too?

The hid cutoff was my first annoyance when I got my car. It would line up at the trunk of the car in front of me but when I hit those bumps I can see it flash up to their rearview mirror. Before I got my car, cars with hids that came up from behind me would seem like they're playing with their highbeams. I usually change lanes because of it. I just came to expect it from cars with hids and just avoid them. But now I have them.

So my question is again, do other hids have the cutoff line?
READ BELOW

Originally Posted by corbs
This excerpt is from a Consumer Reports article:

GLARE: WHY HIDs CAN CAUSE MORE
Ironically, the same attributes that tend to endear HID headlights to many drivers who have them can account for the lights’ added glare. The major ones:

That blue hue. Experts say that the blue-white tint of high-density discharge headlights can be uncomfortable for oncoming drivers. "The short wavelengths that make the light blue seem to be more glaring," says Rea. He adds that glare increases with age as eyes grow more sensitive to scattered light.

When side light shifts. An HID’s added side light can be a problem on winding roads as right curves aim that light at oncoming drivers.

More wet-weather glare. Added light directly in front of an HID-equipped vehicle can be reassuring from the driver’s seat. But lots of foreground light can also reflect off wet roads and up toward oncoming traffic, creating more glare for drivers coming toward you.

A sharper cutoff. HID headlights tend to define the top of their beams with a sharp horizontal line, compared with most halogens’ smoother fade to darkness. Bumpy roads can cause that sharp beam to flash at oncoming drivers and in the mirrors of cars ahead as it bounces in and out of view.

Glare can be a problem even on smooth, multilaned highways when HID-equipped SUVs are in the left lane. Our test staff found that the higher-mounted lights on those vehicles tended to accentuate HID lights’ sharp cutoff and wide right-side lighting, causing the light to shine directly into the mirrors of vehicles in the right lane.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:21 PM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad to hear hear others are experiencing the same thing, it's not just a phenomenon of my car. I wish I had a window that said........please don't flash me, HID enabled. The self-leveling HID's sound mighty nice. Too bad we don't get them.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
I'm glad to hear hear others are experiencing the same thing, it's not just a phenomenon of my car. I wish I had a window that said........please don't flash me, HID enabled. The self-leveling HID's sound mighty nice. Too bad we don't get them.
Too bad they only account for weight bias in the car, and not contours of the road. Bottom line, self-leveling wouldn't help.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

I don't know if it's different in Australia and US but I'm pretty sure HID's here in Australia does have self-levelling mechanism as it is required by law to make them legal along with the headlight washers. I have absolutely no complaint with the HID. It doesn't even compare to halogen lights and having driven in front of my Euro in another car, I didn't feel that it was dazzling either.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Faster, please.

I love the HIDs, personally. The cutoff never bothers me and general visibility is an improvement from my perspective. I do understand other drivers' frustration though and I do feel bad blinding them, but I just flash em back to show that I'm not the asshole.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

People would also flash me when I had my S2000, that car definitely had the flashy thing going on, no matter what EVERY night I went driving, I would be high beamed by at least 2 people! I thought it was just the s2k, but I am noticing a couple of times since I have had my new TSX I have been high beamed....Oh well I like the car.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Tuxedo Cat

The HIDs on my Audi weren't substantially different. The "self leveling" feature is very slow, and really just adjusts for different vehicle loading. Put a lot of stuff in the junk and the mechanism will tend to push the headlights down a bit to compensate for the fact that the nose is now pointed a bit higher than when the trunk is unloaded. They're not gyroscopically mounted to keep them level through minor dips and bumps.

I agree that it's a trade off. I tend to drive with the fogs on most of the time and they provide a bit more wide illumination, at least to see signs and things like that.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting high-beamed once in a while is really just the only downside of having an otherwise great lighting system.

And I must say, I really don't get high-beamed very often, even though my trunk is nearly always loaded, and I'm always on the highway.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Instructor

I get high beemed a couple hundred times a year (no joke), it used to really annoy me. I am pretty sure it caused me to get a speeding ticket since I can no longer count on people high beeming me as a "warning" for radar traps due to the frequency of me getting beemed. I have noticed recently that the drivers side beem is starting to appear higher the the passenger side. Dealer keeps saying its on spec. though
Old 10-13-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
The sharp cut-off is not an HID thing, it's because of the _projectors_. I drove a Fiat Punto (a European econobox) that has projectors like the TSX, but no HID. It's exactly the same, you have a very sharp cut-off, except the light is not white like with HIDs. That's just how projectors work, you have a very even bright beam spread all over the road, but because they don't want you to blind other drivers, they cut off the beam roughly at the trunk line in front of your car.

Personally I like it, I can still see road signs and the visibility on the sides is 10x better than with regular lights. It's a lot easier to avoid hitting small animals at night because you can see them coming.

I'm sure BMWs and Audis have the exact same problem. People who flash you probably either don't know that HIDs are just a bit brighter and they think you have high beams on, or they're just jealous and they flash you because they know you have better lights then they do. I bet you will never see another HID driver flash you.

Usually HID lights from other drivers don't bother me like high-beams do, unless it's a big SUV (but then the regular lights would bother you too).
Old 10-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think that the HIDs really aren't a huge problem compared to SUVs where their low beams are aimed right in your mirror. That's annoying.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by corbs
READ BELOW

Doesn't really answers my question. But I guess it's safe to say that all hids work basically the same and in every car with them? Not sure about the cutoff though. I've just never seen them used from inside another car that has them, but I have seen it coming from behind me. It's pretty blinding sometimes.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by rivvin
Doesn't really answers my question. But I guess it's safe to say that all hids work basically the same and in every car with them? Not sure about the cutoff though. I've just never seen them used from inside another car that has them, but I have seen it coming from behind me. It's pretty blinding sometimes.
To sum it up, yes all HIDs have pretty much the same characteristic, as do all other projector headlights, even when they use halogen bulbs.

I find that HIDs + foglights give me all the illumination I want, though I know they do blind other drivers more than regular headlights.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

[quote CGTSX2004]I think that the HIDs really aren't a huge problem compared to SUVs where their low beams are aimed right in your mirror. That's annoying.[/quote] , my roommate used to have a F350 dualie that was setup to tow a cow trailer. My interior was lit up like day in front of him.

[quote daddydliv]I've had the same experiences. Now at night I'm so paranoid that oncoming cars are going to flash me I tend to drive with my left hand on the light selector ready to flash them back. It is a little annoying but what can you do? [/quote]
Same here. My roommate experiences the same in his 325xi with auto-leveling bi-xenons. Oh well, audio controls are nearby on the steering wheel anyway.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally Posted by daddydliv
I've had the same experiences. Now at night I'm so paranoid that oncoming cars are going to flash me I tend to drive with my left hand on the light selector ready to flash them back. It is a little annoying but what can you do?
Same here. I wouldn't give up my HIDs for anything tho. My roommate experiences the same in his 325xi even with auto-leveling bi-xenons. Oh well, audio controls are nearby on the steering wheel anyway.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have my TSX for over a year and never been flashed by oncoming traffic. Then again, the front of the car is lowered by 1.75", which also lowered the beam...
Old 10-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by JTso
I have my TSX for over a year and never been flashed by oncoming traffic. Then again, the front of the car is lowered by 1.75", which also lowered the beam...
Then raise it
Old 10-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso

Old 10-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Race Director

Why do people think your highbeaming them? My regular lights look cutoff low to the ground? Dont see how it would get in peoples eyes?