Headlight Assembly TOTALLY Disassembled

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Headlight Assembly TOTALLY Disassembled

00Prelude00 and I recevied a warrantied headlight assembly. Of course, we decided to RIP IT APART. Pictures are soon to follow as soon as I upload them. Let's just say we figured out how the Xenon beams cast that funky line.

EDIT**********
Here are the pics to the teardown and the explanation as to why there is a stair-step beam from the Xenons.

This is a pack of some material to help prevent the xenons from melting the headlight assembly

Old 10-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moda_way:

can you remove or shave a little of that fringe that creates the line when the lights are on, so that it will create a further distance of light on the hids without blinding the oncoming traffic?

also, can you do what I requested without removing the entire head unit? is it as easy as unscrewing a plate?

-S
Old 10-26-2003, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

can you put it back together

did you RIP it apart or carefully take it apart? (melt the glue slowly pry etc.)
Old 10-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by overkast
moda_way:

can you remove or shave a little of that fringe that creates the line when the lights are on, so that it will create a further distance of light on the hids without blinding the oncoming traffic?

also, can you do what I requested without removing the entire head unit? is it as easy as unscrewing a plate?

-S
No you can't shave a little off that plate. Eventhough you'd create a flatter line, you'll end up blinding oncoming traffic as the focal lense will push the light farther up as you would take material off. Sure you could adjust the entire assembly (ie re-aim the lense), but that would throw off all your lights. Besides, you can't simple pull this piece out. You have to take the entire assembly apart to get to it.

Also, I tore this assembly apart accsueprstar. It was a warranty piece and had been thrown into a dumpster and retrieved by a buddy of mine. Yes I did have to melt the seal and I was very careful, but I couldn't imagine how in the world someone could melt it, pull it apart cleanly and then put it back together with ANY sense of creating an air-tight seal... Seriously, it was a MAJOR pain eventhough I heated the entire assembly up.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

moda_way, could you measure the diameter of circular housing surrounding the high beam assembly? thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Pro

I saw online about some guy making those BMW angel eyes on his maxima. To take apart the housing, he had placed the entire housing into the oven to heat it up and took off the cover.

Accu, are you planning to make angel eyeS?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

yea i was planning to. i at least want to get the rings done. they are rather cheap to make. if they turn out well then i will consider taking apart my headlight not sure though. i have taken apart an accord one before but have never resealed one.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro

Originally posted by moda_way
No you can't shave a little off that plate. Eventhough you'd create a flatter line, you'll end up blinding oncoming traffic as the focal lense will push the light farther up as you would take material off. Sure you could adjust the entire assembly (ie re-aim the lense), but that would throw off all your lights. Besides, you can't simple pull this piece out. You have to take the entire assembly apart to get to it.
do you mean i can only re-aim entire assembley, ii can't adjust cut off only? i was hoping i can adjust cut off line..... did you notice the cut off piece is movable or not?

thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

coming from prior experiece of doing OEM retrofits for hids, the cutoff piece is mounted in the projector assembly.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by gogozy
do you mean i can only re-aim entire assembley, ii can't adjust cut off only? i was hoping i can adjust cut off line..... did you notice the cut off piece is movable or not?

thanks
As accsueprstar stated, it is infact a solid piece. Even if you had a zip grinder and ground down the stair step, you'd have to reaim the whole lens because now you'd be blinding people. Remember, there is a lense that has a focal point and the light hits it, gets inverted by the lens and then shines out. If you grind the stair step down, you now are projecting higher on the on-coming traffic side.

As for getting to this unit, you'll have to disassemble the entire light to do it. As I stated before, I heated the assembly and pulled it apart, which was no small task. The sealent is very tough when at room temperature, so even after you pull it off, I couldn't even begin to imagine how you would get them back together and maintain any kind of good seal.

Anyone who pulls that assembly apart would never warranty the seal after they put it back together.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by accsueprstar
moda_way, could you measure the diameter of circular housing surrounding the high beam assembly? thanks
Well, I measured the diameter, but I have some possibly bad news.

1st: Diameter is 4 3/8" wide.

Bad news: The high beam reflector is not circular. At the top of the reflector, it is flat, so unless someone can make a circular halo light with a flat spot, you're SOL. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

well that is to be expected, alot of the kits are not a complete circular ring because some of the headlights are flat at the top like our tsx. but thanks for the measurements i will get to work right away
Old 10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

xenons run less wattage than halogens
Old 10-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

moda_way! i have another favor to ask of you

can you also measure the diameter of the ring around the hid projector? i decided to do both and see what it would look like. Thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 07:05 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
coming from prior experiece of doing OEM retrofits for hids, the cutoff piece is mounted in the projector assembly.
Just curious, what kind of OEM retrofits have you done? I'm considering HID for my Prelude, but it is highly unlikely to be done. But I'm still interested in the steps and parts required to do such conversion.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

have done an accord and an e36 m3. i have seen preludes done before. just visit www.hidforum.com and they have alot of discussion on oem retrofitting
Old 10-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

i finished one of my angel eyes. i only have some cheap red leds though. radio shack sells semi bright white leds for 5 bucks each!! im going to order them online instead. i will try to take some pictures of it lighted up later if i can figure out what to power it with. just sticking a photon light in there already makes it look good. now just debating on whether or not i want to take my headlight apart :T

i just wanted to try this mod (the angel eye ring part) b/c it was cheap and i had some time on my hands. turned out better than i expected
Old 10-27-2003, 11:57 PM
Instructor

my friend took apart his rsx lights to give it a jdm look. what he did was put it into the oven for about 15 mins. when the sealant was soft we pried it apart with a screwdriver and to put it back together you just use sealant u would pick up at a hardware store
Old 10-28-2003, 05:25 AM
Suzuka Master

moda_way! i have another favor to ask of you

can you also measure the diameter of the ring around the hid projector? i decided to do both and see what it would look like. Thanks
Yeah, I can measure them when I get home later today. At least we know those are round.

EDIT*****

The high beams are 2 3/4" in diameter.