Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
insane....

__

Old 07-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I've been looking into it the last few days. I'm still on my original front pads at near 70K so I'll definently order either Axxis or Hawk in the next few days.

I'm on my 3rd set of rotors and these ones went on at 50K. I can probly can a new set under warranty or at least have them machined and hope the new pads improve things. We'll see.
3 sets of rotors in the first 70K miles!? Is there some major problem with the TSX rotors?? My 2001 Turbo Jetta has 85K on it... I started getting a slight vibration in the steering wheel when braking on highway off ramps about 5K ago... it's getting worse.. my rear pads are shot, it's not grinding yet but they are gone... I figured this was the cause... or.. I need new rotors.. after 80k.. this would be the _first_ replacement set...

Long story short, I decided to trade the car in last weekend instead of doing the $1500 in care-maint it needed (shocks, struts, rear-brakes, rotors?, fuel-filter, rear tires) and bought a TSX.. I get it next week :-)..... but should I be worried about my new TSX rotors??
Old 07-22-2005, 01:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23
3 sets of rotors in the first 70K miles!? Is there some major problem with the TSX rotors?? My 2001 Turbo Jetta has 85K on it... I started getting a slight vibration in the steering wheel when braking on highway off ramps about 5K ago... it's getting worse.. my rear pads are shot, it's not grinding yet but they are gone... I figured this was the cause... or.. I need new rotors.. after 80k.. this would be the _first_ replacement set...

Long story short, I decided to trade the car in last weekend instead of doing the $1500 in care-maint it needed (shocks, struts, rear-brakes, rotors?, fuel-filter, rear tires) and bought a TSX.. I get it next week :-)..... but should I be worried about my new TSX rotors??
ALOT of people around here have had problems with them. I'm starting to think its the pads more than anything but the dealer offered to replace the rotors so I didn't agrue.

I wouldn't be too worried.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Bad rotors in a new TSX or potential risk of getting the oil-sludge problem that blows out the turbo in your jetta.... yeah I'll take the rotors any day ;-)
Old 07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Ever since I came back from lunch today I don't know what anyone is saying. Turbo Jetta??? Where did that come from???
Old 07-22-2005, 02:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Ever since I came back from lunch today I don't know what anyone is saying. Turbo Jetta??? Where did that come from???

The aftermarket
Old 07-22-2005, 02:56 PM
My Love & My Life

3 sport is nice. i was about to get it myself but the hatch kinda took me off the wrong way.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
horrible tires.
Originally Posted by sauceman
I take it you disagree?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
Have I gone completely insane?
Yup.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
No, its not that I can't afford the payment its that I don't want the payment period. Re-financing not only streches out the payment it also costs me more in interest.

I could swap it for the Mazda and lose nothing if my math is correct and I get what I hope for the TSX. Unfortunately getting what I hope may not be realistic.

I've put this idea on the shelf for awhile anyway. It will be very difficult to downgrade and I'm sure I may regret it later.

New Rotors and pads here I come.
If you did a straight swap for the Mazda wouldn't you still be left making the same payments you were making before? Maybe I'm missing something. And, financially, you're almost always better off the longer you keep a car. Even if it needs major service.

Anyway, glad to hear you've decided against the downgrade.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by dom
ALOT of people around here have had problems with them. I'm starting to think its the pads more than anything but the dealer offered to replace the rotors so I didn't agrue.
I had some vibration during breaking but when I changed my pads that completely went away without touching the rotors. The pads definitely wore unevenly.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cconrad
If you did a straight swap for the Mazda wouldn't you still be left making the same payments you were making before? Maybe I'm missing something. And, financially, you're almost always better off the longer you keep a car. Even if it needs major service.

Anyway, glad to hear you've decided against the downgrade.

No, I was thinking of doing a 48 month fiance which lowers my payment. But like I said eleswhere in here the monthly payment was my main concern but yes, I'd probly end up spending a tad more in the end.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
No, I was thinking of doing a 48 month fiance which lowers my payment.

And your "wife" agreed?
Old 07-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Master in Science

Yes.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:53 PM
tsxy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlukja
And your "wife" agreed?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
And your "wife" agreed?
Wow, sweet deal....
Old 07-23-2005, 05:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cconrad
I take it you disagree?
Well you just need to pu things into perspective. The TSX is meant to be a sporty sedan, with economy as one of it's priority, reliability and durability, with a sporty handling.

What kind of tire would it need then? Tires that will last long, be accessible to most drivers (since it remains a family car), yet still distillate a sporty feel to the car.

I would think the OEMs achive those goals pretty well IMO. It's not a racecar, so why should it have race tires? In fact, it's kind of an exageration to say the tires are horrible whne the rest of the car isn't meant to do better...
Old 07-23-2005, 05:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I saw a widebody Echo on my way into work today. Maybe he'd make a straight trade for your TSX Dom.
I saw an Echo Cup on the road a few weeks ago. I'd have one of those!
Old 07-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Hondaholic

Well you just need to pu things into perspective. The TSX is meant to be a sporty sedan, with economy as one of it's priority, reliability and durability, with a sporty handling.

What kind of tire would it need then? Tires that will last long, be accessible to most drivers (since it remains a family car), yet still distillate a sporty feel to the car.

I would think the OEMs achive those goals pretty well IMO. It's not a racecar, so why should it have race tires? In fact, it's kind of an exageration to say the tires are horrible whne the rest of the car isn't meant to do better...
I understand and and agree completely that any type of high performance or summer tire would be overkill for most TSX owners and that Acura has chosen a long wearing touring tire for the car. And, yes it rides okay, wears well and is relatively quiet.

But....it is however, a horrible tire from a performance perspective. It has difficulty getting a grip on a dry road, rolls over easily on its sidewall, is even worse in the rain, and squeals like a, well, insert your own analogy.

From The Tire Rack survey:

For the outrageous price, they should be better than 15th out of 15 tires. It should excel against other tires in its category.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:28 PM
jmf
Need for Speed

Originally Posted by dom
I'm thinking of trading in my TSX for a Mazda 3 Sport

Why?

- I'm getting tired of the TSX.
- The small problems are bugging the crap out of me.
- The dark color is driving me nuts. Its always fawkin dirty.
- It needs new tires and rotors soon.

But most importantly, doing so will lower my monthly payment to pratically nothing freeing up some cash for other stuff.

I'm at a stage right now where I feel that spending money on a car is a waste.

Why the 3? Its really the only other car in that price range I can see myself driving and I really like the 3 Sport (Hatch).

I think I'll go test drive one this evening and see where I stand then.
I'm also thinking of leasing it for 4 years as I'm sure I'll get sick of it as well.

BTW, a 3 Sport GT with cloth can be had for 27K OTD and did I mention I'd be gettng the 5MT

1. You will also get tired of the Mazda.

2. You think you have problems now, Mazda will be worse.

3. Paint.

4. Good excuse to upgrade brakes & rubber, and get new wheels.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LannyM
I understand and and agree completely that any type of high performance or summer tire would be overkill for most TSX owners and that Acura has chosen a long wearing touring tire for the car. And, yes it rides okay, wears well and is relatively quiet.

But....it is however, a horrible tire from a performance perspective. It has difficulty getting a grip on a dry road, rolls over easily on its sidewall, is even worse in the rain, and squeals like a, well, insert your own analogy.

From The Tire Rack survey:

For the outrageous price, they should be better than 15th out of 15 tires. It should excel against other tires in its category.
Yeah, I saw that survey/review too, and since I live where it snows, that snow traction score doesn't impress me either. The problem is, if I replace these with some good all season tires for the winter, do I use the OEM ones again next summer? Or, since these OEM ones are not really impressive tires, do I get a second new set next summer? (Or maybe the summer after.)

Anyway, don't answer me here. For more questions about appropriate tires, I will search/post in the correct areas/threads when the time comes (probably this winter).
Old 07-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The answer is, for winter conditions, you use WINTER tires. For summer, you do whatever you want.

Lanny, I agree the price is pretty insulting. And it's true that from a performance standpoint, those tires are far from par.

But that is from a performance standpoint, which the TSX is not. It has a sporty tone to it, but it is not a sports car. S2000 = sports car. ITR = sports car. TSX =entry level luxury sedan.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Hondaholic

The answer is, for winter conditions, you use WINTER tires. For summer, you do whatever you want.

Lanny, I agree the price is pretty insulting. And it's true that from a performance standpoint, those tires are far from par.

But that is from a performance standpoint, which the TSX is not. It has a sporty tone to it, but it is not a sports car. S2000 = sports car. ITR = sports car. TSX =entry level luxury sedan.
Originally Posted by Acura Website
With its sleek, sporty styling, the new 2005 Acura TSX is highly contemporary, yet a timeless masterwork, designed to endure well into the future. Its 200-hp i-VTEC® engine accelerates smoothly in any gear and engine speed through either a close-ratio 6-speed manual or a 5-speed Sequential SportShift with Grade Logic Control automatic transmission. Its outstanding handling and agility is due partly to the engine's lightweight materials. There is also an abundance of luxury amenities and innovative safety features that add to this dynamic sports car's remarkable performance, craftsmanship and style.
I guess my problem is, Acura markets it as a sports sedan, at least here in the states. And a front driver can be quite sporty, but after marketing it as a sports car, they shod it with perhaps the worst touring tire out there.

And really, if you look at the specs, ride noise and wear are nothing to write home about either.....

Sorry for the hijack-back on topic:

Is Dom insane?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess my problem is, Acura markets it as a sports sedan,
Exactly! A lot of die-hards didn't think that the Prelude was a "real" sports car either. (FWD is supposed to be excluded from the club.) And yet, when you get some sticky tires on it, you really notice the difference. It's not like it's kinda better, it's way better! Of course, if you don't push the car, you won't notice it much, so for most people, stock tires might be fine. Myself, I will probably replace these tires early like I did with the Prelude. No "all-season" tires for me (as I type this while I reside in north Florida).

If anything does bug me about the TSX is that while it's an overall good performer, it begs for mods to up the excitement level a few notches. Maybe the A-Spec suspension should be more common, when they call it a "sports car". I guess I'm afraid that if you start modifying things -- suspension, intake, header, ECU (except for '05 ), etc. -- how long before you could have justified getting something that was at a higher level of performance from the factory? I dunno, I just hope I'm happy with the TSX long-term without throwing a lot of money at it.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by LannyM
I guess my problem is, Acura markets it as a sports sedan, at least here in the states. And a front driver can be quite sporty, but after marketing it as a sports car, they shod it with perhaps the worst touring tire out there.

And really, if you look at the specs, ride noise and wear are nothing to write home about either.....

Sorry for the hijack-back on topic:

Is Dom insane?
I stand corrected!

BTW, I've lasted my first set of OEMs for 90,000km. That's not so bad.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Instructor

...The answer is, for winter conditions, you use WINTER tires. For summer, you do whatever you want....
Well, it's not that simple here unless you want to change your tires every other week. During the winter here in Calgary (where the city has tons of snow removal equipment and drying Chinook winds) we get weeks on end of pretty much summer road conditions, followed by a few days of winter conditions right after a snow storm, and then back to summer-like roads. I don't really want pure winter tires for that. I suspect this is part of why all-season designs are so popular.

Anyway, yes, I knew this wasn't on topic. Sorry. No more about tires here. Like I said, when winter comes I'm do more looking and asking in the right places.