Greeting TSXs on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 02:48 PM
VTECSTASY!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greeting TSXs on the road.

Ok. I bet you guys know about Jeep owners, and how they emphasize being a big family and wave to each other on the road. I value my TSX quite a bit (a little too much IMO) and LOOVE seeing others on the road. I try to greet , wave , give a thumbs up , but half of the TSX owners out there dont give a flying sh*t. Am I the only person that notices this? Maybe we are the elite few who are REAL TSX ENTHUSIASTS.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I see it too. Theres only been 2 times that a fellow TSX'er has waved or given the thumbs up. Most of the TSX's I see are driven by 40 to 60 year old women who I'm sure are'nt members of any TSX websites and don't notice me anyway. Its quite dissapointing seeing so many old women driving this car. No offense to any old women out there.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:57 PM
VTECSTASY!

And they all sit really really close to the steering wheel!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by onenonlieTSX
lol, you must be talking about me! i am kind of close, but that's because i am short and my legs can't reach the clutch unless i have the seat way up. but i compensate by reclining the seat a bit more.

the pre-set on the telescopic wheel was fully extended on mine--might be the same on all, and perhaps people don't know how to adjust it.

i haven't seen any other TSX's, so I haven't had the opportunity to wave.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Don't get run over!

Originally posted by domn
I see it too. Theres only been 2 times that a fellow TSX'er has waved or given the thumbs up. Most of the TSX's I see are driven by 40 to 60 year old women who I'm sure are'nt members of any TSX websites and don't notice me anyway. Its quite dissapointing seeing so many old women driving this car. No offense to any old women out there.
I see TSX owners wave at me as they drove by me on occasions....talk about proud owners.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Automobile Aficionado

when i first got my car, i was traveling on the Garden state Parkway in upstate New jersey and this older guy in a CG TSX honked his horn at me frantically and so long i thought i was getting in an accident and swerved almost into the median!!
After i regrouped, i looked over and he was waiving, flashing his lights and had this shit-ass grin on his face......just alittle excited i guess
Old 12-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Advanced

I tried in vain to get the TSXs around here to acknowledge our shared bond with no luck. And then, driving home from a wedding on the Beltway in DC, another CG pulls up next to me and we trade compliments and waves. My wife thought I was a loser, but I thought it was cool.

Everybody be more friendly!
Old 12-02-2003, 09:03 PM
A-TSX Member

I believe people's enthusiasm toward seeing other TSX drivers is a reflection of the enthusiasm toward their own TSX.

Case in point.
This is how most middle aged males view the Acura logo:

This is how most 40 to 60 year old women view the Acura logo:

Of course, there are exceptions. My apologies to those 40 to 60 year olds who do know the difference between a TL and a TSX.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:05 PM
More On

I sit a lot closer to the steering wheel in the TSX than I ever did before..... and I think it's because (although I'm not completely sure) the steering wheel doesn't extend as far out from the dash as in other cars. (Yeah, I know, it can be "telescoped" out. And I have it out as far as it can go.) I don't think anybody has mentioned this. Does anybody else wish the steering wheel could come out further?

As for the Acura logo, I think it looks like an upside-down...... ah, forget it, I'm too embarrassed.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro

Re: Greeting TSXs on the road.

Ok. I bet you guys know about Jeep owners, and how they emphasize being a big family and wave to each other on the road. I value my TSX quite a bit (a little too much IMO) and LOOVE seeing others on the road. I try to greet , wave , give a thumbs up , but half of the TSX owners out there dont give a flying sh*t. Am I the only person that notices this? Maybe we are the elite few who are REAL TSX ENTHUSIASTS.
Lets leave this kind of thing to Jeep and Crotch Rocket owners... The TSX is a little too classy for secret handshakes and flashing signs...
Old 12-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Elitist garbage.

There's nothing wrong with comaraderie between car owners who share the same taste in cars.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:38 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, just so you all know. If you honk at me you're get'n the finger!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Me and one guy just stared at each other... I think we were both saying "holy crap, another TSX"
Old 12-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Elitist garbage.

There's nothing wrong with comaraderie between car owners who share the same taste in cars.
Well then those Accord and F150 owners aren't going to have time to watch the road in from of them as they waive at every other car that passes...
Old 12-02-2003, 11:20 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only seen a couple other on the street. The only one I actully drove next to for awhile the guy wouldn't even look over. O-well

Elitist garbage.

agreed
Old 12-02-2003, 11:40 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by fdl
It was an accident. Horn button is too d@mn sensitive. /me pretends to look around to see who really honked...

Old 12-03-2003, 08:01 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Re: Re: Greeting TSXs on the road.

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
Lets leave this kind of thing to Jeep and Crotch Rocket owners... The TSX is a little too classy for secret handshakes and flashing signs...
Hate to burst the elite bubble, but I got a and `nice car` from a guy in a new 5series the other day.

Well then those Accord and F150 owners aren't going to have time to watch the road in from of them as they waive at every other car that passes...
..and the point is lost. Of course they're not going to do that since those models have been out for years, so who gives a crap? Until the TSX reaches more of the population, it'll be considered somewhat of a rare sight. [for a mass-produced consumer vehicle, that is]

-r
Old 12-03-2003, 08:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by fdl
And then he may beat you up in a fit of road rage
Old 12-03-2003, 08:52 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

And then he may beat you up in a fit of road rage
But that's what the gun under the seat is for.

-r

(hahahhhaahah.. I just noticed this smiley: :bukkake: lol)
Old 12-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Greeting TSXs on the road.

Originally posted by idx
Of course they're not going to do that since those models have been out for years, so who gives a crap?
You're right, I guess the Jeep wrangler was just introduced in 2004 as well then? Think 1st, open mouth 2nd, or hopefully not at all...
You are trying to start/force something that has been built up by other groups/communities (Jeep, Harley, etc.) for generations. The difference is that those acknowledgements happened naturally. No one got together and said, "hey, lets give each other the thumbs up when we see each other" like a bunch of tools. Now those things live on as tradition, not because of internet forums...
Old 12-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

Elitist garbage.

You're right, there's nothing wrong with it. Just don't get butt hurt when the other TSX driver doesn't give a damn about you. Depending on my mood, I "might" wave back.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:49 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Greeting TSXs on the road.

You're right, I guess the Jeep wrangler was just introduced in 2004 as well then? Think 1st, open mouth 2nd, or hopefully not at all...
You are trying to start/force something that has been built up by other groups/communities (Jeep, Harley, etc.) for generations. The difference is that those acknowledgements happened naturally. No one got together and said, "hey, lets give each other the thumbs up when we see each other" like a bunch of tools. Now those things live on as tradition, not because of internet forums...
Someone is taking this thread WAY too seriously.

People will wave at each other because the car is not a common site yet. As for wrangler owners I rarely see them waving at each other here in Cali.

Harley owners are unique. They have always waved at each other.

Geez, you are taking it as a personal affront that someone would dare want to wave at you.

Wave if you want to, don't if you don't. This is not Sociology 101.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
More On

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greeting TSXs on the road.

Originally posted by stevestr
.....People will wave at each other because the car is not a common site yet.....
....Or if it's your birthday.

Have a great one!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Drifting

I agree w/ steve.

The "Jeep" thing occurred when Jeeps were relatively uncommon on the roads. These days, everyone drives a Cherokee/Liberty, and even the Wranglers have been builty primarily for road use (they have lower centers of gravity than their predecessors). They are so common that the phrase "Jeep owner" doesn't really signify something that unique anymore. Now if you are driving a CJ-5 or CJ-7 and you see someone else doing the same, that's a rare site these days. (I blew up the engine in mine, so I no longer have that opportunity. :'( ). But really, Jeep drivers don't seem to wave to other ones, at least in my area.

I think that because we are all driving the first generation of a particular car for which there is a production cap (more or less) for the first model year, it's a similar shared identification type of thing.

No one here is mandating that you wave at each and every TSX owner you see on the roads. It's just some sort of neat thing that naturally evolves because of, I don't know, a common experience.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:11 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When people say they see jeep drivers wave at each other I'm dont picture every normal jeep owner doing it I think of people that actually take them off road waving to eachother. Lifted jeeps with mud tires is what I picture.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fdl
I propose this be the official TSX greeting. lol.

Old 12-03-2003, 03:27 PM
REI
Intermediate

This red one pulled up next to me at a light and I made frantic motions to get his attention. It worked and all I got was a blank stare. It was then it occurred to me I was driving my Celica, not my TSX.

Next light incident involved a man at a light to the right of me. He sure looked familiar and rolled down his window and then it dawned on me it was the Acura salesman who sold me my TSX. Again, I was in my Celica. But I didn't feel all too bad as he was in a Lexus.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Pro

Originally posted by REI
Next light incident involved a man at a light to the right of me. He sure looked familiar and rolled down his window and then it dawned on me it was the Acura salesman who sold me my TSX. Again, I was in my Celica. But I didn't feel all too bad as he was in a Lexus.
Sell you and others on Acura's so he can afford to buy a Lexus? Makes you wonder...
Old 12-03-2003, 11:23 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Re: Re: Re: Re: Greeting TSXs on the road.

As usual buff feels the need to start something out of nothing. Chill.

Yeah, that's it. New model..

I'm not saying that for people to feel the need to wave, the model needs to be new. There is obviously history with Jeep, albeit the current wrangler owners are probably much less `gung ho community` than in the CJ days.

So, being enthusiastic and sharing that with other owners of the same model (eg: by waving naturally) is only reserved for certain models, right? And if you own anything other than the original `true blue` X, you're just a poser trying to "force" community acknowledgements? ....yeah.. ok

The point being (as stevestr mentioned) is that since the volume is low, its an uncommon sight on the road. Thus, those of us who are enthusiastic about our vehicle may feel like waving or giving the other owner a thumbs up. Not because we're thinking "ooh, I wanna be like that CJ5 owner I saw last week, r0x0rs". But back the original point of this thread, yes it does suck when the other driver is oblivious.

Its also silly to think our community (tsx owners as a whole) would ever be that intune with one another. The previously mentioned communities of Jeep/Harley certainly attract more of a selective crowd. Maybe better put: a less "general purpose sedan" crowd.

-r
Old 12-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Me birthday (was: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greeting TSXs on the road.)

Originally posted by larchmont
....Or if it's your birthday.

Have a great one!

Thanks! I did.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

I get it when I drive my S2000... one time this guy even pulled into the gas station because I didn't see him or hear him beep when he drove by. The way he approached me, you would think he knew me. It was funny.

When I spot another hybrid i try to get their attention but man, talk about a dead crowd.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

just last week i was next to a milano red tsx, driven by a early 30's looking lady, we even stopped at the same light side by side!

did she even realize that there was a tsx next to her? no.
did that make me a bit angry that she couldnt recognize the same car in a different color? yes. oh well...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'll usually wave at all the TSX's I see and the only ones that wave back are the AZ members I know. Oh well........
Old 04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
beware of perverts

Each time I see a TSX the driver is staring straight ahead. No waves for me
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Whatchamacallit
I believe people's enthusiasm toward seeing other TSX drivers is a reflection of the enthusiasm toward their own TSX.

Case in point.
This is how most middle aged males view the Acura logo:

This is how most 40 to 60 year old women view the Acura logo:

Of course, there are exceptions. My apologies to those 40 to 60 year olds who do know the difference between a TL and a TSX.
apologies accepted I do know the difference between the tsx and the tl and the tl-s and the rl. i also drive manual transmission and still love to go fast. I am not dead yet and I wave to other tsx owners expecially if they are driving milano red ones
Old 04-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Undercover Slacker

so what is the established TSX "handshake"? i don't want to honk my horn at a 55 year old women causing her to crash or anything...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fdl
Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by dom
haha i soo agree
Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Burning Brakes

maybe you'd get a better response from people that had mods on their car... otherwise, to most, it's "just a car"
Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=idx]Hate to burst the elite bubble, but I got a and `nice car` from a guy in a new 5series the other day.

i was driving around one day and also got a from an older 5-series (2003, I think).

Quick Reply: Greeting TSXs on the road.