Got pulled over for my tints

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got pulled over for my tints

What a shitty day, I got pulled over today in Downtown Montreal by the police because my tints we're too dark. I had them for over 2 years and not a single cop said a word, and I got stopped quite a few times...

Apparently, Quebec/Montreal now has a new rule they are pushing very strictly with everybody.... the front windows cannot be darker than 30%. The back windows can be as dark as you want.

I got my 48 hour notice, have to take them off today! Oh well.... watch out Montrealers!!

here's a pic of my 2004 TSX ..
MY 2004 TSX .. INDIGO BLUE
Old 04-06-2006, 03:38 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should'a told him to go f'himself... i wouldn't pull off shit.

another example of cops who have nothing better to do with thier time...

i understand if its like 5% limo tint that like impossible to see thorugh or something... but anything 15% or above.. get off my ass.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL

i understand if its like 5% limo tint that like impossible to see thorugh or something... but anything 15% or above.. get off my ass.
Nice attitude...

The law is the law. You either choose to follow it or you don't. If you don't and get caught, then you pay the price.

The only advice I have for the OP is to either remove them or (if it works the same in ) get a cop to sign off on the ticket.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Tint will get you pulled over....thats something you have to understand before you get them...I do have tints all around also...I've gotten pulled over 3times for them in my TSX and everytime it was in the same town that I work in when I go home after closing my restaurant...and I think thats good considering, cause when I had my civic I used to get pulled over just about once a month, but then my civic was much more mod'ed than my TSX is and it was gold...lol...I think the its just that the TSX gives of a more mature look cops don't figure there is a young dude inside just messin around.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:05 PM
04 remembrance

Tints will inevitably up the maintenance cost (inspection, tickets). And it's common sense that consequences will soon follow...whether it's 2 days or 2 years.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced

So if you get a fix-it ticket? Do you have to fix it? Or can you just pay a fine and leave them the way they are?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Instructor

i got stopped the other day too...end of the month quota lets camp out on the street and stop everything we see...but he stopped me for my windshield...but i feel you 97acuracl...my windows dont look painted get off my ass...it doesnt help that when i asked another cop a question about it he was a real asshole...
Old 04-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Advanced

You could probably pay the fine and leave it, but next time around the fine will be more probably. Ofcourse your breaking the law if you don't remove the tint. I am considering putting 20% on the TSX when i get one(hopefully soon)

I understand why <30% is against the law, what i don't understand is when i see a marked police car with illegal tint on it... it makes me wonder why should i follow the tint law when they don't?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Damnit people, "tint" plural is "tint," not "tints!!!"

Ok but anyway, yea that sucks dude. Down here you can just pay the $60 ticket, that is if you get pulled over. Ive never been pulled over for 5% on the sides and 35% on the windshield.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:22 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*sigh* that's why i don't wanna tint my car.

i can't deal with the NYPD and LIPD, last time i had them on my Civic SI (within regulation) i had to keep calling my friend at Brooklyn South to bail me out b/c of some high strung cop...
Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
the giant sticker on the back of you car doest really keep you on a low profile, i have had 15% all around on my last 2 cars, no problems so far.

i would make sure my driver window is rolled all the way down when you get pulled so you make them feel as comfortable as possible with a darker tint
Old 04-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by virus7
the giant sticker on the back of you car doest really keep you on a low profile
That's what I was thinking. I'll bet it has more to do with him thinking you're a street racer than the tint itself.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

i got pulld over twice when i had my accord but they never told me to take it off.. i guess its a canadian thing
Old 04-06-2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Nice attitude...

The law is the law. You either choose to follow it or you don't. If you don't and get caught, then you pay the price.

The only advice I have for the OP is to either remove them or (if it works the same in ) get a cop to sign off on the ticket.
well its a stupid ass law; along with the seatbelt laws
Old 04-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
well its a stupid ass law; along with the seatbelt laws
The law is intended to protect police officers who have to pull people over at night and want to be able to see into the vehicle they are approaching.

Seatbelt laws save lives. You may not like it, but if you every get into a major accident without your seatbelt...well actually, if that happened, there's a pretty good chance you wouldn't live long enough for the experts to say, "I told you so."
Old 04-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

I'd have ticketd you for those TVs in the car ...because I'm jealous lol
Did you do all that setup yourself ? pretty cool !
Old 04-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I have read on forums 35% gets the least amout of hassle even in States with crazy laws like PA which is 70% requirement.

I got 35%.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 PM
tsx's4playinwith

70 %..SHIT..im planning on getting 35% within a month..o well. Hope i dont get pulled over ever
Old 04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Here in SoCal it is illegal to tint the driver and pass windows ANY shade. I have mine tinted, lightly though, however on my way to and from work all through out beverly hills folks have their fronts dark as fuck.

The folks in BH also have there car manufacturer plates in front too, as opposed to a license plate. Huge ass chrome Benz logo's instead. Cops roll by and think nothing of it. DAMN Beverly Hills
Old 04-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Pro

Tint in back only is so ugly.

You might as well go clear tint just for the UV protection and put on some really dark shades.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:42 PM
HOWARD911S

Nice attitude...

RIGHT ON!

1) If you want tint, go ahead and do it, complin about tint ticket is just like complain about speeding ticket, why me? why not them? its just like speeding, you take your chance

2) Police have more major things to do usually than tint, but different month, or quarter have different enforcement criteria, this is probably time for tint. Sometimes its front plate, sometimse its others.

3) Police is just like you, your family member, anyone on this forum with family, kid, their lives, wwould you want to be that officer walking up to a suspicious car with tinted window not seeing that AK pointing at him from rear seat cause of tint?

just sharing my thought
Old 04-06-2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Howard911s
RIGHT ON!

3) Police is just like you, your family member, anyone on this forum with family, kid, their lives, wwould you want to be that officer walking up to a suspicious car with tinted window not seeing that AK pointing at him from rear seat cause of tint?

just sharing my thought
no I wouldn't but tahts why i'd be okay with a law against something as dark as limo tint...

but the average person cannot even tell the difference between 20 and 35 percent tint; including most police officers... for that they need to find osmething else to do with thier f'ing time.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:41 PM

The law is intended to protect police officers who have to pull people over at night and want to be able to see into the vehicle they are approaching.
(See previous post)

Seatbelt laws save lives. You may not like it, but if you every get into a major accident without your seatbelt...well actually, if that happened, there's a pretty good chance you wouldn't live long enough for the experts to say, "I told you so."

I throughly belive in seat belts, I wear them everytime I enter the car and I dont let my passengers ride without them either... But its a stupid ass law... just another way people get their rights taken away from them. this coming from me, a conservative. Speed limits, okay you can kill someone else for speeding, 5% tints okay fine some idiot could kill a cop.... but the fundamental thing about the seatbelt law is that if you die from an accident, THATS YOUR F'ING PROBLEM, you're not killing anyone else, you're not hurting anyone else, its your choice to do what you want to yourself! isn't that what freedom was supposed to be about??

I knwo this is going to fall on deaf ears to a lotta people beacuse its nto rocket science that you should wear your seatbelt. I just think the fundamental reasoning of this law is unconstitutional and rediculious. Its like having a law against consuming more than 2000 calories in a day... yea its friggin stupid to live on big macs but thats your body and your issue. It would never pass in congress. beacuse its an infringment on free will with your own body without effecting others.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by paranode
That's what I was thinking. I'll bet it has more to do with him thinking you're a street racer than the tint itself.
then he's profiling and he needs to go f' himself for THAT
Old 04-06-2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by calgary2800
From what I have read on forums 35% gets the least amout of hassle even in States with crazy laws like PA which is 70% requirement.

I got 35%.
is there even a point in getting 70%?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by olegm
What a shitty day, I got pulled over today in Downtown Montreal by the police because my tints we're too dark. I had them for over 2 years and not a single cop said a word, and I got stopped quite a few times...

Apparently, Quebec/Montreal now has a new rule they are pushing very strictly with everybody.... the front windows cannot be darker than 30%. The back windows can be as dark as you want.

I got my 48 hour notice, have to take them off today! Oh well.... watch out Montrealers!!

here's a pic of my 2004 TSX ..
MY 2004 TSX .. INDIGO BLUE
Were the picks intended to show us the tint?... because all of the pics of your tint have the windows rolled down. lol
Old 04-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by o2cls

Ok but anyway, yea that sucks dude. Down here you can just pay the $60 ticket, that is if you get pulled over. Ive never been pulled over for 5% on the sides and 35% on the windshield.
Yeah I got flamed for calling it tints.

Sucks to hear that man. Since I have OH plates but I'm in IL I heard they can't cite me for it since it's not their state
Old 04-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Pro

You can put 35% on the windshield? Never heard that before. Isnt that rather dangerous?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Advanced

In most states its illegal to tint the front windshield... that doesn't mean that no one does it though
Old 04-08-2006, 01:46 PM
OEM plus!

I agree that getting hassled for have your windows tinted kind of blows, but that is kind of what you have to expect when you get them done. On my previous car I had 35% all around (in Chicago where no tint is allowed on driver and pass windows) and I was fine for two years. You just have to be quick with the window switches if you come up on a cop.

I understand why they want the law, so that cops can get a warm and fuzzy when they go up to your car, I guess if I was a cop I would want that too. The only thing wrong with that argument is that even with current tint law in most states, someone can still hang out in your back seat with an AK, and the cop would never know because most states allow tint in back of the driver. So why not just get rid of all tint??? (That would suck BTW)

All in all, if you have tints just learn to have your hand hover more efficiently over the window switches. Or if you have crank windows, start bulking up those arms!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Pro

here in hawaii...you can have 35% all around...unless you have a suv or truck....then the front doors only have to be 35% and the back can be as dark as you want....go figure...but its a pretty big ticket now.....and we have to get a safety check every year here and thats one of the things they check....my friend got a ticket here....he had 5% all around on his TL....ticket came out to over 1600 ......$287 per window....
Old 04-08-2006, 01:54 PM
OEM plus!

Originally Posted by hawaiiantsx
ticket came out to over 1600 ......$287 per window....
Yeeeaaah, that would be enough to make me take my tint off.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by virus7
the giant sticker on the back of you car doest really keep you on a low profile, i have had 15% all around on my last 2 cars, no problems so far.

i would make sure my driver window is rolled all the way down when you get pulled so you make them feel as comfortable as possible with a darker tint
the decal was probably put on to attract attention and he got it. I got pulled over for speeding and tinted rear license plate. I immediately rolled down the 20% driver side window and the cop didn't even say a word about the tint. What attracted the attention was the tinted license plate because the cop couldn't read the plate or numbers from a distance. The speeding was just secondary becasue he had to speed up to catch me. I got off with a warning. However, if I did get a ticket for speeding or the tint, I will have no problem paying the ticket or fix the tint. It sucks to get caught but we need to take responsibility for our actions.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hawaiiantsx
.....and we have to get a safety check every year here and thats one of the things they check....my friend got a ticket here....he had 5% all around on his TL....ticket came out to over 1600 ......$287 per window....

Holy crap. Now that's a bit excessive!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bloodymess13
You could probably pay the fine and leave it, but next time around the fine will be more probably. Ofcourse your breaking the law if you don't remove the tint. I am considering putting 20% on the TSX when i get one(hopefully soon)

I understand why <30% is against the law, what i don't understand is when i see a marked police car with illegal tint on it... it makes me wonder why should i follow the tint law when they don't?
they check ppl with darker windows because it's for their own safety, so they're able to see IN the car...not to say I don't love my tint and think they should relax, but that's mainly the reason!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced

I am sorry but why is this tread still active? Illegal tint = chance to get caught. End of discussion.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i thought the title said "got pulled over for my tits"......but yes, cops are gay
Old 04-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

I agree w/u 97Acuracl. Couldnt of said it better myself.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:54 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by o2cls

Tinted windshield, you da MAN!
I chip too many windshield for that.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:03 PM

for the love of.....

Quick Reply: Got pulled over for my tints