Got a DENT on my TSX tonite!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 03:36 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a DENT on my TSX tonite!

I was at Costco tonite and I parked my TSX far away from the crowd. When I went to pick up my car. I saw my TSX was surrounded by few carts and one of them hit my car and left a dent on my back door. Gosh.. I think somebody intentionally pushed all the carts to my car. The one who did it will get punished real bad by God! BTW, anybody knows any good products which will help to pull the dent out? Also, any good bodyshop in Bay Area will do the job cheap?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have a Dent King dent remover - does OK but not perfect. You need to do the paintless dent repair to get a good result. In the Houston area it runs about $75/panel up to 4 dings/panel.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:32 AM
ABP TSX

I 2nd the paintless dent repair option. I would try that route if possible before having a body shop work on it.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. People today have absolutely no respect for other peoples personal property.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear about the incident. By Bay Area, do you mean the San Francisco Bay Area? Which Costco was it?

When I shop at Costco, or any parking lot, I try to park away and at the end of an aisle. I'm also attentive to the slope of the lot. The problem with the end of aisles at Costco is that people congregate their carts at the end of some. At least the Costco carts have rubbery/vinyl edging to soften the blow when they occur.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

It's tonight.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Advanced

My TSX got hit at the Costco in Redwood City. Beware if you always go to that one. There are always many carts flying around the parking lot. Oh well.. luckily there is no scratch on the paint, just a small long dent. I am just wondering if the dent pull will work.. The dent pull is something like a suck cup. also, I am looking at the pops-a-dent and ding king. Please throw in your experience regarding using those products.. I want to try it out myself before taking my TSX to the body shop. I just hope that this will not happen to all of you.. Just make sure you don't park close to anything if you don't wanna get dent and ding.. It's really annoying to have a ding and dent on a brand new car with less than 2000 miles on.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Advanced

If I was in your place I would take it to a Dent King, thats the only way you will get it back to 110% perfect.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:06 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats why I don't park at the end of the lot. Usually near the middle somewhere. You get people that just want to mess with cars sitting out in the open like that. People are dicks.

I know someone that tried one of those self dent removers. It took 3-4 tries but it did work he said. Other wise look um Paintless Dent Removal in the phone book. Don't bother with a body shop. Some pdr places even come to your house.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Advanced

What is Dent King? is it a shop or a tool kit?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Well Dent King is a body shop we have down in Texas its proabably the same as Ding King but just try a body shop they should restore it back to normal.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

dont waste your money on Popsadent or any of thoes 19.95 gimmiks! i cant belive anyone would belive that it actually works!
go find a paintless dent repair shop. it will cost you about 30 bucks and will look like it never happend.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Race Director

Do you think if all of our Tsx's had body side molding, this incident wouldn't have occurred? I bought one of those ding king removers for my old 99 Accord and it really didn't work, so I would also take it to a paintless dent shop.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:37 AM
G35 Freak

I too would recommend paintless dent repair. Here we have The Dent Wizard, and they really live up to their name. I had a pretty bad dent right on the curve of the door that everyone said would be impossible to get out. It ended up coming out 99% perfect for only $100 (they also took out 2 small door dings 100% perfect). The body shop wanted $400 since they were going to have to fill it and spray it. Find a paintless dent remover in your area, you will be VERY happy that you did.

Also, those dent removers you buy on TV are crap, stay away from them, they are a waste of money.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:40 AM
Advanced

Hi Folks, thanks for all the tips.. You guys are the greatest!! I would like to take my car to the paintless Dent Remover shop.. Do you know any of them in San Francisco Bay area. I only could see body shop from the phonebook. Also, what is the most reasonable price to fix a small dent?
Old 01-23-2004, 02:42 AM
Bound for Europe

Dent = distinct and unsightly damage to an area of the car, caused by contact with a medium to large, dense object. A dent will most likely force you to make a claim and pay your $300 deductable. It will really piss you off but the cost of repair is substantially more then your deductable. A time when insurance seems just and worth the thousands of dollars.

Ding = small, almost insignificant damage to an area of the car caused by contact with a small, unknown yet effective object. A ding will most likely only be seen by you, drawing your gaze everytime you approach your car. It's very presence will anger you for up to two weeks. It will cause you to park in distant, lonely parking places better suited for...other ding victims. You'll attempt to live with it, or spend $100 or so for some guy with a suction cup to pull it out. Yes, the ding is smaller, less visible and cheaper to deal with, but somehow the mental strain it inflicts on the victim is far worse than the dent. Beware the ding!

Good luck wawa

I've grown to live with this little beast. The ding in my door is a battle scar, a mark of character if you like. It somehow cooled me down from my initial protective instincts, allowing me to concede that "it's no big deal...yet":P
Old 01-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your definition. Haha. I think I got a ding then. Anyway, I think I will listen to you all. I am going to return the ding king kit to the store and leave the ding alone for a while. I just don't wanna get it worse. I still remember Acura offered me a ding and dent package when I bought my TSX for $700. My tsx will be covered by that package that Acura will fix the ding and dent for me for free with the first 4 years. However, I just couldn't justify to spend the extra $700 for it.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:53 PM
CDR
Instructor

Originally posted by wawa
I would like to take my car to the paintless Dent Remover shop.. Do you know any of them in San Francisco Bay area. I only could see body shop from the phonebook. Also, what is the most reasonable price to fix a small dent?
I'm currently getting estimates from PDR shops in the San Jose area to patch up a 99 Prelude (bump on the nose, plus bumper scrapes). I also got a quote from a body shop. The PDR shop I liked most is in Campbell, "DentPro", which I found because of some positive references online. There's also a location in Redwood City.

Price varies with the size and difficulty of the dent/ding, but I'd guess less than $100 for something in the door. An awkward "nose job" on the Prelude was quoted at $189 and 3-4 hours, but compares to a body shop wanting over $1k.

I haven't had them complete my work, so I can't vouch for the end results yet ... but they were very professional up front. I like the PDR idea for small dents/dings much better than the body shop repaint options -- keeps the factory finish.