Got an Acura EL loaner the other day

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Got an Acura EL loaner the other day

On Monday I dropped off my car and the loaners they give are the Acura EL (hey, it's Canada, they're cheap ).

There's absolutely no comparison. I remember driving my dad's Civic but it never seemed that crappy, I guess I got used to my TSX real quick. The automatic sucks so bad it's incredible. At the slightest acceleration it has to hunt for a gear and rev way up and still you get nothing. It's terrible. The materials you touch seem ok, even some seem similar to the TSX, but everything else is so cheap.

It took about 5 min for my wife and I to say "boy, was it worth it to get a nicer car".

When I went back to the TSX it was such a huge change, the precision and craftsmanship of that car is incredible. I can't believe some people still say "it's kind of like a Civic".
Old 11-25-2004, 12:12 PM
such a dirty birdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We drove an EL when we were shopping for the TSX. There were some noticeable improvements over a Civic, but you're right, it's clearly not the same calibre of vehicle as the TSX. Then again, it's ~ CAD$12K less expensive too.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
On Monday I dropped off my car and the loaners they give are the Acura EL (hey, it's Canada, they're cheap ).

There's absolutely no comparison. I remember driving my dad's Civic but it never seemed that crappy, I guess I got used to my TSX real quick. The automatic sucks so bad it's incredible. At the slightest acceleration it has to hunt for a gear and rev way up and still you get nothing. It's terrible. The materials you touch seem ok, even some seem similar to the TSX, but everything else is so cheap.

It took about 5 min for my wife and I to say "boy, was it worth it to get a nicer car".

When I went back to the TSX it was such a huge change, the precision and craftsmanship of that car is incredible. I can't believe some people still say "it's kind of like a Civic".
The EL loaners I drove gave me the same impression.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

AHH the joy of living in the US, the worst car they give us as loaners (if your dealer actually gives loaners of course) is either an RSX or TSX!
Old 11-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
a luxury Civic.......
Old 11-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Boy Genius

I prefer the 1.6EL's more... the suspension setup on the last generation Civic/EL was far superior and made it so fun to drive, but the transmission and ride quality on the new Civics/1.7EL's are noticeably smoother. Still, the EL has economy car roots and will never compare with an Accord, let alone a TSX.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:25 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
I drove two EL loaners before, the 2nd car I drove doesn't even have leather seats...

Are you listening Honda? Drop the damn EL line already.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:34 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally Posted by MSZ
I drove two EL loaners before, the 2nd car I drove doesn't even have leather seats...

Are you listening Honda? Drop the damn EL line already.
What are the current sales numbers for the EL? It has been Acura's best selling model, I'm not sure if it still is. Someone must see some value in it...
Old 11-25-2004, 04:40 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by majormojo
What are the current sales numbers for the EL? It has been Acura's best selling model, I'm not sure if it still is. Someone must see some value in it...
I heard EL's sales numbers dropped quite a lot for the past 2 years. But I don't have any numbers on hand right now.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:36 PM
-phase-

different dealerships have different loaners..

North Shore Acura - RSX
Lougheed Acura - EL

just from my past experiences
Old 11-25-2004, 08:34 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lokman
I prefer the 1.6EL's more... the suspension setup on the last generation Civic/EL was far superior and made it so fun to drive, but the transmission and ride quality on the new Civics/1.7EL's are noticeably smoother. Still, the EL has economy car roots and will never compare with an Accord, let alone a TSX.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Love Heated Seats!

I owned a 2001 EL for three years before buying a TSX. I actually liked the car. The interior was fine for a $25000 CAN. Most of the materials were very pleasant to touch. The ride was choppy, especially over large bumps. Reliability wasn't good for me. I was quite happy to buy it but now I think its cheap price devalues Acura in Canada.

I also think that the RSX should not be labelled an Acura. You can't really get much recognization as a prestiege brand if you sell cheap cars (price wise, not quality). I didn't like it when people thought I was driving a Civic!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned

I get so confused out there when i see the EL on the road..they look very similar to the Civics in everyway!!

My neighbour actually took home an EL a week after i got my TSX...3 weeks later they switched to a TSX!!

Funny thing was the week i came back from NYC as i pulled into the driveway at nite i saw their car and stared at the rims...i was thinking "OH they swapped their EL rims to the TSX rims!!" Then i glanced over a bit and realized "Hey wait a sec..thats a TSX!!"

They had leased the EL and found it lacking of power and when they saw my TSX they realized they should have gotten that car instead and they did!!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Pimp Master T

Originally Posted by Belzebutt

That's funny, Steve (Camco) was going to give me his RSX when I had mine into for the stereo last week. But I just needed a ride into work so I didn't bother with the loaner.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcdawg
I get so confused out there when i see the EL on the road..they look very similar to the Civics in everyway!!

My neighbour actually took home an EL a week after i got my TSX...3 weeks later they switched to a TSX!!

Funny thing was the week i came back from NYC as i pulled into the driveway at nite i saw their car and stared at the rims...i was thinking "OH they swapped their EL rims to the TSX rims!!" Then i glanced over a bit and realized "Hey wait a sec..thats a TSX!!"

They had leased the EL and found it lacking of power and when they saw my TSX they realized they should have gotten that car instead and they did!!
Haha, my neighbour that just beside me also got an 5sp EL before I got my TSX and they also regret not getting the TSX after they saw mine(actually their son really want a RSX-S)! But they didn't replace it with a TSX like your neighbour did! The EL is their first jap car and is brought for their son. They are the kind of family always drive Euro since they are from HK. But they told me that they are going to replace their E46 323i to a TSX next year, they are so amazed that the even the EL already have a better shift feel than their E46 and after drove my TSX and they agree that the shift from the TSX is 100 times better than the bimmer.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Boy Genius

One has to remember that since everything costs more in Canada, cheaper cars sell far better - Canada's best selling vehicle for the past decade or so has been the Cavalier/Sunfire, versus the Accord in the U.S. There's not much one can get for $25,000, but the EL does represent moderately good value at that price point with leather, sunroof, heated seats, and a larger engine than the Civic (in the first generation anyways). The first generation had a bit more differentiation than the second gen, and the previous gen Civic shape was more appealing to more people, so I don't think the second gen is doing as well, though I still see many of them.

My feeling is that it's very difficult to get into anything Japanese with a V6 and decent amount of options for less than $28,000, and by the time luxury options like leather and taxes are put in, you can be easily at least $32,000. Heck, a fully loaded Camry is $43,000 up here (compared to a $41,500 TL - Toyota needs a reality check). There's no doubt the TSX is a superior vehicle, but not everyone has an extra $10K on a new car.

Personally (being the cheap bastard that I am), I'd go for a used 2000-2001 1.6EL with a 5sp, or get a 1999-2001 3.2TL.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:32 PM
6th Gear

In defense of the 1.6EL ...

I have a 2000 1.6EL Premium and am considering getting the 05 TSX. To be honest the current gen 1.7EL never really turned me on. Fundamental limitations of the civic redesign made it simply less fun to drive the 2nd gen EL. The strut suspension in front is floaty and the car is higher and shorter to the point of being almost stumpy. While it is fun to thrash my 1.6, the 1.7 seems to just float around looking for a gear. Mousey Tires and Wheels further diminish from the 1.7.The dash layout and tolerences are better in the 1.7, but Bad Fake Wood and Cheap Shiny plastic abound.

In defense

1.6EL Pros
$25,000 "Luxury" Car w/Leather,Firm Seats,Sunroof,Mirror, &Seat Warmers,Keyless+Remote Trunk, etc.
Looks Sharp IMO (at least from the back) Alloy Wheels
Small Car Easy to Park in the City, tight turning radius
lighter, 1.6L engine saves gas,insurance
Firm, Great Handling 4 Wheel Double Wishbone Suspension, Alloy Wheels
Performance Tires/ (at least on Dry Pavement)
Commonality with ubiquitous Civic Saves on Repairs/Service
High Reving Fun
No Rattles
Styling sort of like a more tasteful factory ricer.

1.6EL Not so Much
Buzzy High Revs become tiresome (can I even hear high pitched noise any more?)
Road Noise, better than civic but not good (Try Talking to Passengers)
Lack of Torque from standstill.
Interior subdued and sturdy, but civic legacy apperent.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

Acura should do all of us a favour and drop the EL and RSX

Any way you look at it, the EL and RSX cheapen the brand.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jarrek

Why, you so care about the brand? Acura = Honda = good car! We love our car not the brand! brand whore should belongs to MB.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Pimp Master T

Originally Posted by Jarrek

Just wondering what about the RSX is so cheap? The car is awesome, great handling, smooth transmission. Lets not forget the 210hp 4 cyclinder! My buddy just bought one, doesn't have all the standard's that my TSX has, but man can it really move you!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Brand Cheapening ...

Except the brand exists to sell cars! I agree that the EL(tarted up civic) and the RSX(30k+ 2dr hatchback) cheapen the brand. However, if you have perfectly exclusive cars, you don't sell any. What is the point of having a brand if you never use it to sell stuff ?

People buy cars they can afford to buy or in the case of the foolish ... up to what they can borrow. All the cars in Honda line bathe in the reflected glory of cars like the NSX, Honda Racing, HSC Concept Cars,S2000(to a lesser extent) etc.

This is also why neglecting to upgrade or provide a replacement for the NSX(if true) is such a terminally boneheaded move on Hondas' part. Not because they need to sell many, but because without the impractcal dream supercar there is just no reason for Acura/Honda to exist.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:36 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
long live the 1st gen EL 1997-2000. I had a 99' and loved it!!!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm the Firestarter

LOL someone gave me bad rep because I didn't like the EL!

I'm sorry man, I was just venting. It's still a good car.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EL doesn't seem bad at all....lol i can't believe it's got grade logic control! that's awesome.

03 EL Premium w/ aero package

too weak to b an acura.....and i'm guessing it's got HIDs....not bad fer a loaner.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by shawn744
too weak to b an acura.....and i'm guessing it's got HIDs....not bad fer a loaner.
Nope, no HIDs.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Instructor

El Hid

Easy to be fooled, many EL's have blue tinted Headlights !

In praise of the 1.7, I would say only that it is a feature laden small car for the price that looks for all the world like a little 3-Series from some angles (without the shopping cart spoiler).

This is no accident. The previous EL was modeled on the previous BMW3. Honda doesn't need to hire 'designers' per se ... they just laser rotoscope the 3 when it comes out, tweak and stretch the panels in CAD to fit on a civic chassis.

Not a half bad little car (at half the price of a siml. equiped 325) really, but enough to drive the auto purists bonkers !
Old 11-28-2004, 02:18 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by tigerfan85
different dealerships have different loaners..

North Shore Acura - RSX
Lougheed Acura - EL

just from my past experiences

Lougheed Acura gave me a brand new 2005 RSX premium (car only had 400km's) as a loaner because I was promised my 05 TSX would arrive at an earlier date.

None the less it's not usually normal for a dealership to give out a loaner before your original car arrives, but I'm just happy I have my TSX now
Old 11-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

"kind of like a civic"

it IS a civic
Old 11-28-2004, 03:54 PM
No Longer a Poseur

I've got a 2001 EL Touring and may be trading it in for an 05 TSX next year.

For the price I paid ($23,000CAD), the EL has been an excellent car. For a car in the lower-mid-sized category, the ride is fairly good, power is okay, transmission is smooth, passenger and cargo room are good, and gas mileage is excellent. The build quality is quite good, and noise damping is better than in the Civic. In the past 3 years, I've only had 2 major problems--both were recalls (struts and a fuel line thing). There have been no other major problems--typical Honda quality.

This is a *good* car for us normal people who don't make the big bucks to be able to automatically jump to a TSX or 3 series right off the bat. For me, this was my first new car, and it fit my budget quite well. I could have gone and got an Integra or something higher end in the line, but I felt that for a first car, I shouldn't spend too much. I make a habit of, as often as possible, to live within my means, as I don't like to get into extraneous, frivolous debt.

As far as the name issue goes, I do agree that the EL should be absorbed into the Honda lineup...but if they do that, they wouldn't be able to make as much money, because a top line EL is getting into the territory of a stripper Accord (ie. so if they had a Civic with all the options of an EL, they'd need to price it lower than the current EL prices). The RSX is another story altogether. There is no Honda product that is equivalent to the RSX, so it should stay (as it's got too many "luxury" features to be in the Honda lineup).

Actually, I think Honda (and Toyota, and Nissan) need to start just calling a stone a stone, and dump the luxury lineup altogether. I think people are generally smart enough to follow a vehicle lineup that numbers in the double digits. But then again, in North America, it's not so much about consumer confusion, as it is about our overwhelming need for higher status (ie. Our Honda product may be better than your Mercedes product, but it's only a "Honda", so therefore that makes the Mercedes better....but my Acura product is be better than your Mercedes product, because it's an Acura).....
Old 11-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Advanced

I've owned an EL since 1997 and aspire one day soon to a TSX... It is a great value and extremely reliable. I didn't think handling and ride was much different than a comparable year civic until a friend of mine noted that he has both (Civic and EL) in addition to a couple of Italian and English sports cars, and said the EL is far superior.

It's not a terror on the gragstrip, but for everyday driving (with the 5 speed) it's fun and gets great gas mileage. It also has great resale value. For Acura Canada, I think it has strategic importance in attracting young buyers that might not have the 'capacity' for somthing more expensive.

Long live the EL
Old 11-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Boy Genius

Originally Posted by Encyclo
It's not a terror on the gragstrip, but for everyday driving (with the 5 speed) it's fun and gets great gas mileage. It also has great resale value. For Acura Canada, I think it has strategic importance in attracting young buyers that might not have the 'capacity' for somthing more expensive.
Exactly.

One of my bosses once told me there's a statistic that 90% of Canadians make less than CAD$60,000 per year. If you're not supposed to spend more than 1/3 of your annual salary on a vehicle, then even the EL is a stretch for a lot of people.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok..I'm gonna post and sound like a dumb ass, but what the heck is an "EL"???!!! Is this just a Canada thing or am I missing something? Shame on me for not knowing, but had to ask!!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SaraWI
Ok..I'm gonna post and sound like a dumb ass, but what the heck is an "EL"???!!! Is this just a Canada thing or am I missing something? Shame on me for not knowing, but had to ask!!
http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Models/EL/InfoNav.htm

It's a thing.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow..interesting.. I kinda like the look of it, but yes, seems kinda slow! I never even knew that car existed!