Goodbye 1G, Hello 2G

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSX
Yes, although I can't put a million dollar down to guarantee my claim, I have a high degree of confidence that we will see a V6 TSX sooner than people think. I'd hate to be wrong and don't make claims unless I feel fairly assured of my source and I do at this time...but time will tell (and I am not talking years either...)
Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 PM
gets all the crazy chicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So once pics of the 09 TSX were released, I went out and bought an 08 TSX because I thought the 09's were fugly.

I hate to say it, but the 09's are starting to grow on me. I love my car, don't get me wrong, but the 09's aren't THAT bad if you can fix the nasty chrome grill.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The rear and side looks really good, but that grill, ughhh...

I'm gonna wait on the diesel version and see how good the fuel economy is on that one. With diesel almost 25% higher than gas, it better provide > 25% improved FE.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Pro

Sweet ride! I want one now!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you all for the comments! I really do love this car with the exception of the weird feeling steering which I'm getting accustomed to still. I don't think it handles quite as well as the 1G, even with the 18" rims w/ Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS PP tires (225/45/ZR18). They have about an inch less tire and an inch more rim than the stock wheels, but it still doesn't have the 1G's feel still. However, the steering is very very smooth. Other than that, I am ecstatic about the car. I've gotten nothing but positive remarks about it, even with the power plenum "element".

It was so sad leaving my 05 behind yesterday though... what made it worse was that I left my CDs in the changer so I had to go back and get them, then leave it for a second time! I try to tell myself it's silly to get attached to cars, but I get attached anyway. :P
Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by psteng19
The rear and side looks really good, but that grill, ughhh...

I'm gonna wait on the diesel version and see how good the fuel economy is on that one. With diesel almost 25% higher than gas, it better provide > 25% improved FE.
By LAWRENCE ULRICH
New York Times

Consumers will have the option of choosing a diesel version of the 2009 Acura TSX.

Honda has spent decades establishing a reputation for fuel efficiency. But nothing in its current lineup, including its Civic Hybrid, can match the mileage of the diesel Accord I recently tested in and around New York City.

Minus its diesel powertrain, the European-market 2007 Accord that I drove is nearly identical to the car that Honda had been selling in the United States as the Acura TSX (in other words, it's smaller than the American Accord). The test car should give a solid indication of the mileage and performance American consumers can expect when Honda offers a diesel option for the redesigned 2009 TSX.

The Accord — a demonstration car provided by Robert Bosch, the German technology company, to highlight its fuel injectors and other diesel components — returned a remarkable 53 miles a gallon on the highway, 34 in the city and 44 in combined driving. Those miles included a bumper-to-bumper crawl through Manhattan, the worst possible conditions for fuel efficiency.

Cleaner emissions system

The model I drove was powered by a 4-cylinder diesel displacing 2.2 liters and producing 140 horsepower and a stout 250 pound-feet of torque — the force that drivers feel pushing them into their seats under acceleration. That huge torque relative to the engine's size is a main advantage of modern turbodiesels, making them well-suited to small economy cars and to burly SUV's that need torque for towing and hauling.

The America-bound Acura will use a new version of the 2.2-liter engine that I tested. The engine is notable for meeting 50-state emissions standards with no need to carry an onboard tank of urea, an ammonia-generating solution that other diesels use to scrub smoggy nitrogen oxides from the exhaust. Honda's patented pollution system generates its own ammonia to fulfill the same mission. While that cleaner emissions system wasn't installed on the Honda I tested, engineers expect it to have no discernible effect on fuel economy.

Advantages over hybrids

As with other diesels I've driven recently, the Honda's frugal highway mileage and versatile power are important advantages over the typical hybrid. The Accord covered the zero-to-60 run in just under 9 seconds in my testing, which doesn't sound spectacular on paper. But its passing power from 30, 50 or even 70 miles an hour was terrific, as the Honda easily shot past slower cars.

And as more hybrid owners are discovering, their cars deliver little or no mileage gain on the highway. That's because battery packs and electric motors add several hundred pounds, and the system also contributes negligible energy at freeway speeds.

Also unlike hybrids, which require drivers to go easy on the gas pedal, watch the speed limit and coast when possible to improve the mileage, the diesel Honda delivered brilliant economy with no special effort. Even spirited driving didn't dent the mileage much. The Accord delivered 50 mpg even during a 75-mph cruise and 40 mpg when I flogged it.

The Acura's only diesel telltale is an idle that's slightly louder than a gasoline car's, though it's not at all obtrusive. There was no trace of diesel smell or black exhaust.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Race Director

even if diesel costs more than premium, in the long run it will be more worth it cause of the impressive mpg it gets. will this be the first japanese luxury car that will have diesel?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mokos23
even if diesel costs more than premium, in the long run it will be more worth it cause of the impressive mpg it gets. will this be the first japanese luxury car that will have diesel?
Yes unless you count the Maximas from early 80's. As the the diesel TSX, highway mileage is improved by 86% from the standard TSX and the city mileage is improved by 54%. And combined cycle is improved by 76%. If my math serves me correctly
Old 06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
The factory kit definitely does help the car out....

HAVE FUN WITH THE ELECTRIC STEERING!! I HEAR IT'S WICKED AWESOME!!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

The kit makes the car, but what is the price tag all said and done?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
All in all I waited 4 weeks to get the car. I got $500 off the MSRP of the car (best I could get out of any dealer I emailed) when I ordered at the beginning of May. I also negotiated for 6 Acura accessories at that time, installed for $1500. Then about a week after I ordered the car I decided I wanted the sport bumper kit so I did some price checking and negotiated with the dealer MSRP ($1954) plus they would install it at no additional cost before I took delivery of the car. Then about a week before taking delivery of the car I decided I wanted the 18" wheels. I saw them on eBay for much less than MSRP (which is around $2500 with NO tires), emailed my dealer with what I had found and they sold me the 18" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS PP tires (balanced, TPMS sensors, mounted) for $2600. Then I added the clear bra which was $600 and the Llumar 50% tint was $230. The price of the car itself with nothing on it was around $33500 after VA state tax (they tax the full price paid, regardless of your trade in was worth). If you add up everything I have into the car, $33,500 into the car itself, plus approx $6,830 in acccessories/tint/clear bra, I have a little over $40k in everything combined (incoming flames?). None of the accessories were part of what I did finance on the car and also I got to keep all the old parts.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ThirdLane
Yes unless you count the Maximas from early 80's. As the the diesel TSX, highway mileage is improved by 86% from the standard TSX and the city mileage is improved by 54%. And combined cycle is improved by 76%. If my math serves me correctly
maxima doesn't count cause it's not an infiniti.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mokos23
maxima doesn't count cause it's not an infiniti.
I was only kidding.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
resident asshole

wow... side by side, the 1G looks very outdated...
Old 06-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ThirdLane
I was only kidding.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 26Shaun
All in all I waited 4 weeks to get the car. I got $500 off the MSRP of the car (best I could get out of any dealer I emailed) when I ordered at the beginning of May. I also negotiated for 6 Acura accessories at that time, installed for $1500. Then about a week after I ordered the car I decided I wanted the sport bumper kit so I did some price checking and negotiated with the dealer MSRP ($1954) plus they would install it at no additional cost before I took delivery of the car. Then about a week before taking delivery of the car I decided I wanted the 18" wheels. I saw them on eBay for much less than MSRP (which is around $2500 with NO tires), emailed my dealer with what I had found and they sold me the 18" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS PP tires (balanced, TPMS sensors, mounted) for $2600. Then I added the clear bra which was $600 and the Llumar 50% tint was $230. The price of the car itself with nothing on it was around $33500 after VA state tax (they tax the full price paid, regardless of your trade in was worth). If you add up everything I have into the car, $33,500 into the car itself, plus approx $6,830 in acccessories/tint/clear bra, I have a little over $40k in everything combined (incoming flames?). None of the accessories were part of what I did finance on the car and also I got to keep all the old parts.

OUCH!!! It looks nice but I could not see spending $40,000 on a TSX that is still so similar in many ways to the previous generation.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Race Director

26Shaun is a diehard TSX fan
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Racer

wow, like everyone already said, the 2nd gen looks so much sleeker than the 1st gen. At first I also hated the new TSX, but now it looks so much better and makes the 1st gen look more outdated. I think I'll stick with my 1st gen for a while though.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Race Director

i'll stick to the 1g cause i don't want new car payments!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by acura_ak
wow, like everyone already said, the 2nd gen looks so much sleeker than the 1st gen. At first I also hated the new TSX, but now it looks so much better and makes the 1st gen look more outdated. I think I'll stick with my 1st gen for a while though.
I think people are overlooking the fact that the 2G in the picture isn't stock. I also think the 2G looks pretty good with the kit but otherwise no.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Guys, I revived this thread to bring back something I said June 8th!!! I hate to say I told you so to all the nay sayers.....
Old 10-26-2008, 01:26 PM
JDM Addict

Hi Guys, I revived this thread to bring back something I said June 8th!!! I hate to say I told you so to all the nay sayers.....
so what are you rubbing in their faces?
what were you right about?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Racer

I am refering to the new information that the TSX DIESEL has been pushed back and that it appears the V6 TSX will be coming out sooner...I said an announcement would be made in the fall and that in all likelyhood, the V6 would be coming out before the diesel....

Read the temple of Vtech and the comment in the 2nd generation (TSX)
Old 10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
JDM Addict

I am refering to the new information that the TSX DIESEL has been pushed back and that it appears the V6 TSX will be coming out sooner...I said an announcement would be made in the fall and that in all likelyhood, the V6 would be coming out before the diesel....

Read the temple of Vtech and the comment in the 2nd generation (TSX)
well, Acura didn't plan on putting out a V6 next year.
they planned on putting out a diesel instead.

but it did not get "pushed back," it got scrapped for all intents
and purposes. they can't get the AT to pass the emissions certification no matter
what they try, so they're basically scrapping the diesel idea all together.

the V6 is the back-up plan for them, and there is no proof that one will
even be offered next year. so I think it's a bit early to be saying "I told
you so" about there being a V6 TSX next year. Because at this point
there is still nothing even close to being set in stone.

The diesel was supposedly "set in stone," they even built the cars and
everything. But they just couldn't get them within the specs needed, so
it's a no-go.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Hey, the 2G is fine. I think 99% of the car looks good... just make sure you do something about that flat-plate GRILL so it stops looking like a Saturn and more like an Acura... no offense. Congradulations on your new ride... I hope you enjoy it.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

They could've put the RDX motor and have the sh-awd in the back up version instead of a v6 model. Will they be putting that motor into a car anytime soon?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:48 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by A Mack
They could've put the RDX motor and have the sh-awd in the back up version instead of a v6 model. Will they be putting that motor into a car anytime soon?
nope.
the turbo 4 is a bad choice of motor.
the V6 is far superior, so if they go with anything, it'll be a V6.

V6 is lighter than the turbo 4.
V6 is more powerful than the turbo 4.
V6 is no less efficient than the turbo 4.

there's actually no reason at all to put a turbo 4 in any of their cars.
sorry.

however, the sh-awd is a possibility, but who knows...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Racer

I agree with MMsTSX....The turbo would be a bad idea for them. I drove the RDX for a while and sure the power was alright but I would still take a V6 over a 4/turbo anyday!

While I understand the RDX ways alot and is partly responsible for its gas guzzling thirst, man that thing was thirsty!!! Give it some Gatorade or something!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
well, Acura didn't plan on putting out a V6 next year.
they planned on putting out a diesel instead.

but it did not get "pushed back," it got scrapped for all intents
and purposes. they can't get the AT to pass the emissions certification no matter
what they try,so they're basically scrapping the diesel idea all together.

the V6 is the back-up plan for them, and there is no proof that one will
even be offered next year. so I think it's a bit early to be saying "I told
you so" about there being a V6 TSX next year. Because at this point
there is still nothing even close to being set in stone.

The diesel was supposedly "set in stone," they even built the cars and
everything. But they just couldn't get them within the specs needed, so
it's a no-go.
You seem to know a lot from info based off a rumor.

Show me proof that their putting in a V6 BECAUSE the diesel wasn't ready?

At this point we have no idea. The V6 could have been in the plans from day 1, IMO they planned to offer it all along.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Racer

dom....the information surfaced in the temple of Vtech....I had this type of information back in June when a dealership in Ontario told me something very similar to what is being rumored/suggested.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
dom....the information surfaced in the temple of Vtech....I had this type of information back in June when a dealership in Ontario told me something very similar to what is being rumored/suggested.
I posted the info from TOV here so I'll well aware. My issue is with the parts I bolded. We have no idea what their V6 plans were and we still don't know why the diesel was postponed/canceled. Point is, its a rumor....nothing has been announced from Honda. Although I trust Jeff from TOV. And why are people assuming the V6 is only being put in because of the rumored failure of the diesel. That's a lot to assume IMO.

The V6 rumor goes back to when the 2nd gen was announced. Jeff posted a vid that quotes a Honda exec saying it will fit a larger engine. This is no surprise.