Generally speaking...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish it didn't have people's ages right there, then we'd never know and wouldn't be subtly reminded of the class warfare inherent in capitalism. Pardon me for feeling a little shifted to see so many people here receive a car for their sweet 16 which I have to drop payments on every month. I suppose I'm a little disapointed that I'm not in like company, that some of us here didn't arrive at the car, that the car arrived at us. I know you baby your car and love it, hence you're here, and that's wonderful, but it seems unholy that you have a luxury marque for a first car. I'm gonna have to blame your parents. I know some of you teens actualy pay for your cars and are working your asses off, I'm not talking about you.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by timd38
WOW didn't mean to offend you...
Remember, red = sarcasm. Just messin' with you! No real offense intended. And yeah, a 'Vette sure would be nice.
Originally Posted by wackura
Not to be mean, but you gotta admit, they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and it only gets worse when you have to color the font to indicate you have sarcastic intentions.
Sarcasm can be the most subtle, and funnest form of wit
Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced

The Vette is fun. It is faster in 3rd gear than the TSX is at top speed, so ya it is fun.
I'm with you. Even the OP seems young to me. Changed my avatar, too.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Instructor

^^ "some of us here didn't arrive at the car, that the car arrived at us."

Well said, as that was the case for me.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by HI OFECR
It all comes full circle

Here are some stories of the rich kids i when to school with. [...]
Good examples of people who don't value what they have. This is what I'm talking about when I say some people have a sense of entitlement and it annoys me.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
Inevitably it seems it's the wizened 26-year-olds who weigh in with the most (and most-misspelled) invective. The "they don't know the value of money" argument is the most often repeated. Between the ages of 18 and about 30, I squandered most of my earnings on junk and didn't save -- I didn't learn the value of money until I started earning enough to really save large amounts. And I drove a '69 Toronado that belched smoke when I was a kid in the mid-80's which, according to you guys, should have made me a value-of-money genius.

Ditto for me on the savings and POS car at the same age. So what? So someone gets a nice car through their parents or other good fortune - good for them.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Boring Teacher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was so freaking excited when I was 17 and my parents handed down a 1991 Toyota Corolla (4 door). It was the cheapest car in the world! 5 speed, manual windows and locks, etc. I was so appreciative of that car. Even though it wasn't mine, I still had to pay for gas and all of the maintenance. Believe me...my parents made sure that I never called it MY CAR. It was a priviledge to drive it. I had to ask permission everytime I wanted to drive it. I HATED IT!! BUT... I'm pretty sure that by being so controlling with me and that car, they kept me from getting into stupid wrecks and acting like a stupid teenager. I don't quite know where I stand on this matter, but wanted to share my experience as a teenager.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

I went from a bike to an 87 Camry to a 91 teg to a 98 teg to le TSX. Each change has felt like a huge step up, and each one has required less repair then the last.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Originally Posted by Tex929rr
Ditto for me on the savings and POS car at the same age. So what? So someone gets a nice car through their parents or other good fortune - good for them.

I wasn't going to chime in on this ongoing debate as I was just venting a little and half in jest.

Your "so what" is this: teenagers who are irresponsible tend to affect you and I indirectly or God forbid - directly.

The indirect part is the car insurance you and I pay for. Don't you think each time a teenager wrecks a car or cars, your insurance premium won't go up?

Ditto with the direct effect where one day, they might drive into you or your family.

Of course I'm over-generalizing. If you read my original rant, I was actually pissed at the parents, not the kids.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

So someone gets a nice car through their parents or other good fortune - good for them.
Yeah so what. All you're demonstrating is that you haven't read anything we've posted. You have no idea what our argument is. I'm glad to see you're so enthusiastic about your second string commuter car though.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hunterk1

That's right, you're living in the past you freak'n old fogey! Go get yourself an Oldsmobile!!!
OK, I just found a brand new 2005 Oldsmobile Cutlass on EBAY. I don't know if they will take my bid, but I offered to trade them even up for my 2008 TSX. Sine the Olds is brand new and my TSX now had 70 miles on it, I hope they take it.

I will let you know what happens.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced

Yeah so what. All you're demonstrating is that you haven't read anything we've posted. You have no idea what our argument is. I'm glad to see you're so enthusiastic about your second string commuter car though.
No, the original post said: " shake my head whenever I see a 16, 17, 18 yr old driving a TSX....
Why you ask? Again, generally speaking... they're going to turn a nice looking vehicle into twisted metal of slosh.
I blame the parents. There's no way these kids can afford such a sweet ride themselves. I'll give them one thing though... great taste in vehicle!
When I have kids, they're going to drive a beat-up and they're going to like it, take care of it with pride before I give them something like a TSX... "

You can't generalize about all teenagers, or resent someone else's good fortune. And yes, the TSX is good to keep the Vette clean when it rains.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Banned

Actualy I'm generalizing about their parents, and I'm all too happy to do so.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cestmoi
I wasn't going to chime in on this ongoing debate as I was just venting a little and half in jest.

Your "so what" is this: teenagers who are irresponsible tend to affect you and I indirectly or God forbid - directly.

The indirect part is the car insurance you and I pay for. Don't you think each time a teenager wrecks a car or cars, your insurance premium won't go up?

Ditto with the direct effect where one day, they might drive into you or your family.

Of course I'm over-generalizing. If you read my original rant, I was actually pissed at the parents, not the kids.
Soory I overlooked this post before - but no, I think other teenagers' insurance is affected (unfortunate for them) but not mine. And if they wreck a TSX they'll likely be less badly hurt than had they been driving a beater, which means less work for me cutting them out with my fire department. As far as driving into me and my family, of course that would be bad, but the kind of car won't matter much (as far as them hitting me is concerned) - and around here it's likely to be an F150 more than a TSX. So maybe I'd prefer them in a TSX.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Poser / Fanboi

OK, I just found a brand new 2005 Oldsmobile Cutlass on EBAY. I don't know if they will take my bid, but I offered to trade them even up for my 2008 TSX. Sine the Olds is brand new and my TSX now had 70 miles on it, I hope they take it.

I will let you know what happens.
SWEET!!! I was thinking a blown 442, but hey, whatever does it for you

Yeah, I know I'm off topic, I'll stop!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Jon (PWP FTW)

i stole my tsx and im 18. does this change the whole perspective of this thread?

haha anyways guys. i got my first car when i was 16 and it was a mercedes-benz. yeah cool huh? well it was a 1987 faded yellow mercedes. still have the car had lots of memories. no accidents no tickets took great care of it. the new 07 tsx is nice and i love it. the feel of my old mercedes unfortunately makes me feel more comfy. anyways i have my own business and make money on my own. i DO save my money. but i save very little. the rest i put into investments such as mutual funds and stocks. i know it sounds weird but i have my retirement fund set in mutual funds right now. not too bad for an 18 yr old.

anyways guys im off to street race!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Soory I overlooked this post before - but no, I think other teenagers' insurance is affected (unfortunate for them) but not mine. And if they wreck a TSX they'll likely be less badly hurt than had they been driving a beater, which means less work for me cutting them out with my fire department. As far as driving into me and my family, of course that would be bad, but the kind of car won't matter much (as far as them hitting me is concerned) - and around here it's likely to be an F150 more than a TSX. So maybe I'd prefer them in a TSX.
A TSX isn't the epitomy of a safe car. Safer cars can be had for cheaper.

Your logic is half hearted, almost admitedly, so why on the one hand do you pretend you can't be bothered to give this topic any thought yet on the other hand go through the effort to post anything at all?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by liquidg3n3rati0n
i stole my tsx and im 18. does this change the whole perspective of this thread?

haha anyways guys. i got my first car when i was 16 and it was a mercedes-benz. yeah cool huh? well it was a 1987 faded yellow mercedes. still have the car had lots of memories. no accidents no tickets took great care of it. the new 07 tsx is nice and i love it. the feel of my old mercedes unfortunately makes me feel more comfy. anyways i have my own business and make money on my own. i DO save my money. but i save very little. the rest i put into investments such as mutual funds and stocks. i know it sounds weird but i have my retirement fund set in mutual funds right now. not too bad for an 18 yr old.

That's truely an amazing feat, but nobody here is addressing people like you.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by liquidg3n3rati0n
Yeah!!! Just make sure you're good and drunk before you head out to race, you can shift gears MUCH faster after about 18 beers!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
That's truely an amazing feat, but nobody here is addressing people like you.
The OP addressed 16-18 year olds. That's him
Old 09-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

He's talking about teens that can't afford the cars themselves. You're trying to kill the debate by diluting the issue. The question is simply this: are parent's hurting their kids by buying them luxury cars for their 16th birthday?

I have two bosses who both became successful before the age of 18, and I'm amazed that some human beings are so enterprising seemingly out of the womb while others just pick their noses. I was somewhere in between, I had maketable talent but was not enterprising, thus I'm now their employee, and I'm cool with that. I'm greatful to have the talents that I do have.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:39 PM
E92

hm well anyways I don't think it can hurt to buy a kid a luxury car for their 16th birthday so long as they get good grades and aren't spoiled brats already. I appreciate how nice the TSX is, and having it gives me the goal of buying something just as nice somewhere down the road
Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hunterk1
SWEET!!!
I'll tie it into the topic for ya-- my guy had a '71 Olds that his parents owned since it was new (he always dreamed of a 442 though) so it was about 16yrs old when he got it. We were discussing as I was reading through the thread that, responsible as he was, he was pretty damn lucky he never totaled that Olds-- maxing it at 120+mph down the highway, etc. He spun it out one day on a back road and I guess he said that calmed him down a bit. The available power was just too tempting.

Though it's entirely possible for teenagers to be responsible enough to be given a TSX, in general, [note the in general] the arguments why they had to have a TSX have been just silly. You could spend $10k less and get a brand new Civic-- totally safe, comfy, will last forever and stellar gas mileage. And those in high school who got new ones from their parents who say their families don't have much money yet who's parents are also driving Infinities, Lexuses, Mercedes, etc.... I'm just in awe... You do realize how much all these cars cost, right??

And here I felt guilty for getting my first new car at 36! (my dad was in his 40's before he finally got an actual new car-- a Fiero. His mom was in her 60's-- her '90 Grand Am, which I inherited and just traded in)

Congrats to you youngins' for getting such a nice car so early-- now prove us old folks wrong.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Just dial 1911

He's talking about teens that can't afford the cars themselves. You're trying to kill the debate by diluting the issue. The question is simply this: are parent's hurting their kids by buying them luxury cars for their 16th birthday?

I have two bosses who both became successful before the age of 18, and I'm amazed that some human beings are so enterprising seemingly out of the womb while others just pick their noses. I was somewhere in between, I had maketable talent but was not enterprising, thus I'm now their employee, and I'm cool with that. I'm greatful to have the talents that I do have.
Pleasuring men?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Oldies, no one has to justify themselves to you until you are the one's financing our "youngins" cars. Waste your time criticizing your cars and not the other drivers you see out there! That's what this site is all about!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Im going to be as honest as I can because I on one hand want to prove you wrong, but on another hand You guys are correct.

Im 17, a senior in highschool. My dad busts his ass to pay for shit around the house. he bought my sister a brand new civic 2002 back a few years ago. When it came around to my turn to get a car.. I realized something. Most of the people at my school WORK for there cars. They work or drive their parents car. This type of mindset these kids at my school have is amazing, they know the value of money, and appriciate it for every cent. Me on the other hand.. I am yet to learn the value of real money. Every penny I make, i end up spending it... I hate not having something that someone else has. THE only reason My dad bought me this car is because he doesnt believe in buying used cars. He thinks the society is out to get him and rip him off by selling him a lemon. HE has a piece of mind knowing his child drives a brand new car with 5 star safty rating on all sides of the vehicle. IF that means he has to work harder at work and work more hours.. IN his mind it is worth it. I told him i wanted anything that had 4 wheels and could move. But he insisted.. so i accepted.I am your generic jerk off teen who, when offered something nice.. is going to accept it. Whether that means more work for a parent or not. I appreciate what my dad has done for me, and will never forget it. But i just thought you guys should know the reasons for buying a child a new car. Some may be because they have money and want to child to be the "Cool shit" at school. Others have practical reasons for buying them.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joerockt
Pleasuring men?
WTF? Kind of a juvenile comment from a 32 year old.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm getting a 2006 A-Spec TL that my dad bought for me next May as a graduation present... I'll be 17. Do you guys think that my dad is robbing me of the value of hard earned money?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:31 PM
E92

Originally Posted by Nedim
ITHE only reason My dad bought me this car is because he doesnt believe in buying used cars. He thinks the society is out to get him and rip him off by selling him a lemon. HE has a piece of mind knowing his child drives a brand new car with 5 star safty rating on all sides of the vehicle.
Same here, kinda. That's why I have a new tsx rather than a few-years-old G35c or E46, because my dad refuses to buy a used car.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
E92

Originally Posted by pnoi521
I'm getting a 2006 A-Spec TL that my dad bought for me next May as a graduation present... I'll be 17. Do you guys think that my dad is robbing me of the value of hard earned money?
No, he's just buying you a nice car because he can afford it and knows you will love it. He'd rather you drive something you love than something you don't like.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

What does your dad buying you a TSX have to do with driving wrecklessly? I drove like a complete idiot as a teenager (sadly, as I look back) in a '69 Olds, '82 Civic, and a '69 Chevy 427 (built by me and my brother). I never had an accident or injured anyone but that was pure luck. Anyway, I'm encouraged by the teenagers who own TSXs -- it reaffirms that it's a more youthful car than the TL, one of the many things that attracts me to the TSX.

Kids, don't let goofballs like these guys give you a hard time; congratulations on owning a nice car, learning to take care of it and participating in an online forum with (mostly older) people who really enjoy the same car.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by TommySalami
No, he's just buying you a nice car because he can afford it and knows you will love it. He'd rather you drive something you love than something you don't like.
haha that's true. Also, it's because he trusts me and my decisions I make when I drive. He knows that I am a very responsible young man and all of my family members, from my Grandma to my very judgemental aunt can see that I am a responsible and careful driver. I also have a lot of experience. I didn't just start learning recently. As opposed to someone I know that might get a new 3 series hardtop convertible or a new 5 series, and she hasnt even started a car. Now teens like that I don't believe they should get expensive cars. But until I get my TL I'm stuck driving my moms 2007 Accord ex v6 that she got last august...
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock

Kids, don't let goofballs like these guys give you a hard time; congratulations on owning a nice car, learning to take care of it and participating in an online forum with (mostly older) people who really enjoy the same car.
thank you = ) finally someone that understands us 'youngins' haha

except how you think the TL is for old people! -_- or maybe I read that wrong?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cestmoi
I shake my head whenever I see a 16, 17, 18 yr old driving a TSX....

Why you ask? Again, generally speaking... they're going to turn a nice looking vehicle into twisted metal of slosh.

I blame the parents. There's no way these kids can afford such a sweet ride themselves. I'll give them one thing though... great taste in vehicle!

When I have kids, they're going to drive a beat-up and they're going to like it, take care of it with pride before I give them something like a TSX...
I am 18... and I think you're general ing wayyyy too much.

Guess what? I'm financing the car all by myself. It's tough but it doesn't interfere with my college life nor do I need a full time job to keep it.
I bought the TSX because it suits my fancy and matches my personality quite well. I can't stand driving the likes of the camry, accord, civic, etc. I also don't want to be categorized into "that asian kid and his rice rocket" group. People thinks I should be driving "younger" (cheaper) cars but I want to be keeping my car for at least over five years so I want a car that has some maturity in it (for when i get older) and still packs some fun and excitement.
I also have no plans of slapping a park bench on my TSX as well if you think I'll be ricing it. All my mods so far have been inside; I have the Ice Box and Progress RSB. For looks, it'll just be the Euro R front lip and the lip spoiler. I don't think that's ricing.
As for my driving... I admit, I go fast sometimes but not aggressive. I rarely cut people off and I don't race. As with others, I also have conditions I must follow in order to keep my car and they are grades, maintaining it well, etc. etc.
Not every teenager who drives an expensive car are punks who will end up totaling their TSX. I have a friend who drives the TL-S and another who drives the X3. They are also very safe drivers.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM
E92

Come to think of it, if I drove a beater I'd probably drive MUCH faster/worse, simply because i wouldn't care about it nearly as much as I care about my tsx.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I laugh at people like you who clearly have an inferiority problem with teenagers who get just as nice a car as them when they are less than half their age. My parents money, my parents kid, my parents business, not yours. Tough, I got it when I was 16 and I'll have it till I'm 116, what is it any business of yours. I can't STAND when people trash talk me and the majority of other teenagers on this website for having this car, it's so stupid....

And though this post may come across as overly snobby and irrational, I seriously cannot stand people who write crap in here about teenagers being irresponsible, I take better care of my car than I do myself...
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jswim99
WTF? Kind of a juvenile comment from a 32 year old.
lol...Sorry, forgot how serious of a thread this is
Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

man I left this thread for like 9 hours and 2 1/2 pages came about. Trust me I know where yall are getting off on saying that teenagers are irresponible, I have plenty of friends that are like that. But just because some of them are, doesnt mean that we all are.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 PM
E92

Stay out of the "whats your top speed" threads and you'll find that most of the members here are responsible drivers
Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by joerockt
lol...Sorry, forgot how serious of a thread this is
I'll bet your parents bought you a Ferrari when you were 12 and now look at you: you're just a smartass. Maybe these guys are right...

Quick Reply: Generally speaking...