Gen 1 steering correction

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen 1 steering correction

So I was browsing through the forums and came on this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&highlight=tl

Do I understand it correctly that it's normal for a gen 1 steering to wander on the freeway?

I test drove an '06 about a month ago, and found that I had to always correct the steering on the car at 65mph. I would let go of the steering wheel and it would pull the car towards the right. Initially I attributed this to that particular car, whether it was a lemon or alignment issue. Drove a '09 right afterward on same stretch of road and drove straight but I'd prefer the '06 feel. Just wandering if this is normal for a gen 1? If so, it would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never had that problem.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No you shouldn't have this issue. I'm dealing now with the problem after I hit a pothole and am on my 3rd visit to the dealer (going tomorrow). They can't seem to get the alignment correct and I have very little hope that they will fix it.

Before I hit the pothole the car would drive straight and never had any problems. Now I am consistently correcting it. If they can't fix it this time, I am going to take it up with Acura. I can't imagine that once it is out of spec that this ruins it to the point you'll never get it back to original factory spec.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowfin
So I was browsing through the forums and came on this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&highlight=tl

Do I understand it correctly that it's normal for a gen 1 steering to wander on the freeway?

I test drove an '06 about a month ago, and found that I had to always correct the steering on the car at 65mph. I would let go of the steering wheel and it would pull the car towards the right. Initially I attributed this to that particular car, whether it was a lemon or alignment issue. Drove a '09 right afterward on same stretch of road and drove straight but I'd prefer the '06 feel. Just wandering if this is normal for a gen 1? If so, it would be a deal breaker for me.
Originally Posted by npolite
No you shouldn't have this issue. I'm dealing now with the problem after I hit a pothole and am on my 3rd visit to the dealer (going tomorrow). They can't seem to get the alignment correct and I have very little hope that they will fix it.

Before I hit the pothole the car would drive straight and never had any problems. Now I am consistently correcting it. If they can't fix it this time, I am going to take it up with Acura. I can't imagine that once it is out of spec that this ruins it to the point you'll never get it back to original factory spec.
You guys may be looking in the right church but the wrong pew. If an alignment doesn't fix the issue, then I'd be looking at the problem as possibly a tire issue. You may have a tire that's out of round (op), or perhaps a belt separation (npolite). Or there could be suspension damage that's not easy to see but also not easily compensated for with an alignment. I agree that the TSX does not have wander issues; we have two and both track straight and true.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I'm not too confident that the dealer will resolve my issue. If you look at my other post with the alignment specs, the before numbers were way off on the second alignment. This was 1 1/2 weeks after my first one. So either I have an issue with a component or someone didn't align it correctly the first time. I'm trying to be as positive as I can be but I'm starting to lose patience with how many times I am bringing the car back to the dealer and may have to start a case with Acura.

You can have a look at the alignments here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/dealership-philly-area-need-recommendations-808498/
Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '07 drives quite straight. Drove a couple hours back on a very straight highway last week and, to break the boredom, did the "how long will my car stay in its lane" thing (my hands were, of course, just away from the wheel)... On midwestern highways it only goes so far (due to the, uh, interesting texture) but it does quite well on the smooth southwestern highways...

Of course, if you accelerate it'll pull but that's FWD for you...
Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
TSX drives straight and is not prone to those issues normally.

If any car is not driving straight on the freeway, an alignment should be performed as well as a check on wheel + tire + suspension + steering components.