g35 vs tsx..tried search but not very useful

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question g35 vs tsx..tried search but not very useful

I have an option to trade in my '04 tsx 6spd for an '04 G35 coupe 6spd. Mileage are both the same, around 75k.
I've been trying to find a direct comparison between the 2 cars and basically all I found was G35 is bigger, faster and stops better. Slightly less gas mileage and less head room in the back. Interior in the G looks pretty tacky but to me, the exterior more then makes up for it.
The color of the G is carribean blue with black leather. It's a sport model so it has the 18's and the Brembo's and the sport seats.
I've never driven one so i have nothing to comapre it to. I'm trying to find info on what too look out for when i go check it out. I've heard they have electrical problems on the '03's but most of it was taken care of for the '04's and on.
Any opinions from anybody that's driven one of these? How's it compare to the tsx as far as driving, comfort etc..?
thanx guys!!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The G35 coupe is in a different realm than the TSX. To compare a TSX with a G-coupe is

G35 coupe - great room up front, pitty the rear. Stock 270HP RWD But there are interior rattles. There's a host of aftermarket goodies...i.e. GReddy Twin Turbo kit and ING body kit =
Check out g35driver.com
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rear seats in the g35c are not very usable. Not only are they somewhat small, it takes like an hour for the electric seats to move forward far enough for the rear set passenger to get in/out.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think its a little silly to trade an 04 model for another 04 model with the same mileage unless you REALLY REALLY want that car. At least go for something a year or two newer with a little less mileage so you can have a little bit of a gain! New g35's are on sale now due to G37, got quotes for like $32,800 +TTL. Also, that brembo kit will EAT brake pads a lot faster....just something to be aware of!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Racer

ok, thanx guys! the reason i'd be trading year for year is because I'm already a bit upside down since my wife totalled my s2k. I checked that site, it seems that the most common issues are tire wear (fronts feather and rears wear in the center) notchy shifter and other little things like rattles or cabin is loud. People think the TSX cabin is loud but coming from an s2k this thing is dead quite. anybody ever drive one? As far as comparing the G to the TSX, it's basically because i know what the tsx drives like so it's a known factor for me to compare something to. Maybe the s2k is a better comparison to the G as far as driving? Oh and for the new g37's being around 30k. i wish i could afford something like that. I only paid 16,700 for my tsx. My S2k was 17 and change.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lvcurvs
Oh and for the new g37's being around 30k. i wish i could afford something like that. I only paid 16,700 for my tsx. My S2k was 17 and change.
I think you meant to say G35. G37s are starting high 30's and low-mid 40's loaded.

There are plenty of used G35 coupes. Haven't seen any for ~$15K. Good luck though. Sorry to hear about the wrecked S2K.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
what is the price differences between 04 and 05 g35? If there is not much differences then go with 05 because 04 got the ugliest interior I ever seen.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
I think you meant to say G35. G37s are starting high 30's and low-mid 40's loaded.

There are plenty of used G35 coupes. Haven't seen any for ~$15K. Good luck though. Sorry to hear about the wrecked S2K.
I have seen few g35 for $15k but salvage title. I personally won't recommend those cars so..
Old 09-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Racer

Def. no salvage stuff for me. The prices are all over the place for the manual coupes. You have the '06's and '07's in the 30k+ range and then you have '05's down to some '03's anywhere from high 20's to mid-high teens. Guess it depends on location and demand at that location.

yeah, Pacman, i'm sorry to about the S. That was my baby. It was the one car I REALLY REALLY wanted since it came out. I'd get another one but I need some room. Ha a backpack would take up almost all the space i had. My cd case was a b*tch especially with a passenger.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Racer

well found out some more info. apparently some of the VQ motors are drinking oil like it's going out of style. looking at 1 to 1.5qt of oil per 1,000 miles. Mainly happening to manual models with the " Rev-up" motors. not sure what a rev up motor is but apparently it puts out more hp then the older versions. Also though, almost all these that are posting are '06's and newer. Man, i'd be pissed to pay 40k on a car and put 4 qts in before the 1st oil change. blah, anyways, thanks for your help guys, i'm going to drive one here shortly that's on my lot. it's an auto but atleast i can get some sort of an idea.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I drove a friend's G35 coupe...and it's a fast machine. But beyond the speed and terrific engine, (and great body), I did not like the driving experience.

The main issue is the shifter...rubbery, awkward engagements compared to anything made by Honda/Acura. You have to almost force the gears and to me, that's a deal-breaker. (If you are looking at an automatic, forget that...but an automatic is not for real sports cars anyway.) It's also nose-heavy and plowed through curves.

But it's a totally different vehicle. Great for straight-line acceleration and driving around on summer days. Not good for winter driving...or for that seamless connection between man and machine that TSX provides with it's light, nimble handling and smooth shifting. Just my IMO. (Though the balky shifter and nose heavy characteristics have been covered in Car & Driver reviews.)
Old 09-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're going to get a higher performance car, you're going to have to pay more... if not oil, then gas... probably in other parts too, such as the brakes someone else mentioned... etc. A slightly more mundane car like the TSX is going to be a bit more reasonable. I think the gas mileage should be a LOT better on the TSX, for one thing. But then, you don't get a souped up sports car for the gas mileage.....

I test-drove a G35 Coupe before getting the TSX. Yeah, the G has a ton of more power, but do you NEED it? I mean, really. And it's not just "winter driving"... I think FWD is a bit better in the rain too, although maybe that's just me. The TSX has a lighter, nimbler feel. I think if there were more curvy roads, I'd be happier taking the low-power choice. As it is, it's a compromise, but I haven't been upset with the TSX's power or lack thereof. It's not so bad.

Take raw straightline power out of the picture, and I really wasn't too excited by the G35. The interior was nothing special, the rear seat almost unusable (unless your passengers are missing a head), and the ride rough. The handling might have been OK, but really didn't get a good feel for it; seemed a bit heavy, though, and I'm used to more nimble handling.

But if I wanted to race, I'd rather have the G35, definitely. ;-) You'd probably get more looks/attention in the G35 too.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Racer

jwood_06TSX- This may be a dumb question but why would the brembo's eat pads compared to the other stuff? I figure that the pad compound would be better which means less longevity but it seems as if your saying it's surprisingly bad how little they last.

As far as a high performance car costing more to maintain, thats a def. no brainer. The aftermarket stuff really isn't to bad price wise and with my cost on factory psrts, maint. is a tiny bit higher then my TSX but nothing to complain about. Only thing i'm questioning is the gas mileage. According to the EPA stats it's only 2 mpg less on both city and hgwy. Assuming your not lead footing it around town. Anybody know about thier mileage first hand?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Racer

5-min edit thing

As far as "Needing" the extra power, i guess nobody really "needs" it but it's nice to have when you need it. Especially merging onto the highway. Also the power comes into play because I take my cars to NASA Hpde's when I can. Havn't been out for a bit, S2K wasn't allowed on track w/o roll bar and I just haven't had the time for the TSX. So I guess no I do not "Need" more power but I'll always want more!!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

jwood_06TSX- This may be a dumb question but why would the brembo's eat pads compared to the other stuff? I figure that the pad compound would be better which means less longevity but it seems as if your saying it's surprisingly bad how little they last.

As far as a high performance car costing more to maintain, thats a def. no brainer. The aftermarket stuff really isn't to bad price wise and with my cost on factory psrts, maint. is a tiny bit higher then my TSX but nothing to complain about. Only thing i'm questioning is the gas mileage. According to the EPA stats it's only 2 mpg less on both city and hgwy. Assuming your not lead footing it around town. Anybody know about thier mileage first hand?
My buddy has an 03 G35 coupe with the Brembo's and he said it goes through pads like 18-23k miles. What happens is since the Brembos are both drilled and slotted (i think) it actually bits harder and with the drilled slots it allows for more brake pad material to get "cut" into it. Its designed to cool the pads and rotors quicker which is typically ONLY needed for tracking and such. If you search brake pad wear under the name MRHeelToe you'll find a good article on it that describes it better than i did.....but do you get the picture??....lol
Old 09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Instructor

you should keep the car and wait for the tsx redesign or get the new G37.

its better plus you will be wasting money if you do 04-04 trade and you might have to pay some more money.

at 87K you might start have to do alot of fixing and maintence haha.

Just my 2cents
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Racer

i actually traded an 05 g35 coupe, for and 05 tsx both auto though. had the coupe for 11 months (and had some minor mishaps with it too)

at the time i was living in LA, and well the coupe really isnt that awesome in traffic (plus it really negated the fact that it was faster).

i suppose here were my gripes with the g35. the interior was much worse (and the 04 interior is even worse than the 05 one) .

the tire roar was annoying at over 50mph or so, so basically any time on the freeway you basically could not hear anything anyone said from the back seat. the back seat was basically terrible for my friends (i end up driving with people a lot, so this probably means im never buying a coupe again). they also sometimes make a whistling sound

the trunk wasnt very big , the main problem actually is its not very deep (so you cant put things liek say a microwave in there).

it drank gas at a ridiculous rate (like 15mpg even if you are driving conservatively in LA, i got about 21mpg in the tsx doing the same commute in the tsx). the rimless doors leak in carwashes.

blindspots are really bad in the g35 coupe

engine noise is also somewhat annoying, and its not a very smooth engine like the tsxes or say a bmw i-6.

the stock stereo is ok, but its not nearly as good as the tsx one (it might be due to the way the inside of the coupe is shaped and the acoustics of that)

now there are alos a lot of good things about it as well

its ridiculously fast and well the difference in torque is night and day compared to a tsx

it is damn sexy

the exhaust note is awesome

so the g35 is really a love - hate type car. like i really like my tsx. but i cant say i could like sit ther epolishing it and loving it. but i cant really say i hate anything about it. whereas the g35 coupe, you hate parts of it and you are absolutely loving other parts of it.

my g35 didnt have any options outside of nicer rims, so i also liked that the tsx actually has a ton of stuff standard and i got nav (at the end of the year it was basically a straight up trade).

one thing about the tsx that i do think is better depending on your preference is that its a much more "tossable" car. the g35 felt like driving a rocket (it weighs about 400 pounds more i think). also
the tsx is sometimes more fun. its very hard to really say floor it in a g35 since its got so much powre you are going illegal speeds very quickly. whereas you can take a tsx and like play with the manumatic and really flog the engine and still be going like 80 so i suppose in a way its more fun becuase you are driving it at 10/10ths instead of feeling like you have to hold back.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 AM
Racer

hans007- thanx man. that's the type of stuff i was looking for.

I actually test drove an '06 over the weekend. A friend had one that came to my wedding and let me drive it. Def. not my thing. I LOVE having a slow car that i can toss around rather then a fast car that i can't. The g35 has the most intoxicating exhaust note though. the looks are sick and it's comfy. Blindspots are huge, like hans said and i went through a quarter tank of gas in just a little bit where as in my TSX my gas guage would barely move. Anyways, long story short, the TSX is staying for now. thanx guys!!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hans007- thanx man. that's the type of stuff i was looking for.

I actually test drove an '06 over the weekend. A friend had one that came to my wedding and let me drive it. Def. not my thing. I LOVE having a slow car that i can toss around rather then a fast car that i can't. The g35 has the most intoxicating exhaust note though. the looks are sick and it's comfy. Blindspots are huge, like hans said and i went through a quarter tank of gas in just a little bit where as in my TSX my gas guage would barely move. Anyways, long story short, the TSX is staying for now. thanx guys!!
good choice, although you should know that all of these japanese gas gauges are really inaccurate, especially over the period of one extended test drive...and if driven hard, the TSX drops to under 20 mpg.

blind spots....well, you can do two things: adjust your mirrors outward (so that you can't see the side of YOUR car, and also stick a little concave circle mirror on the corner, which basically does eliminate any blind spots. they're very effective, imo.

the G's exhaust note is awesome, and it looks great on the outside. inside though (not counting 2007)....yikes. i have always hated nissan/infiniti interiors until ~2006 or whatever when they redesigned the G's (and the M looks good too...maybe it's the same). also, there seem to be many TSXes in my area, but many more G35s. it tends to bother the TSX crew when they see too many of ____ car around (see: BMW 3 series).

that said, for the $, the TSX is hard to beat as an overall package. if i needed another sedan, i would think long and hard about one. hopefully, redesigned and with that RDX engine in it.