G35 owner - thinking of tsx

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 06:23 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 owner - thinking of tsx

Hello!
I have been thinking of trading in my 2003 non-navi G35 Coupe (auto, 15K miles) for a 05 TSX MT Navi CG Black interior. I love the G, but for one, I get a little more attention that I like to bring on myself, and also, it really sucks that I got an auto. Sure, it's still really fast, but I feel like I am just steering the car, not driving it like it's supposed to be.

I have been offered the above mentioned TSX for $2000 out the door. The price would really be 28,000 and then they would give me 26,500 for my G35.

I have only $5000 left to pay off on the G35. What would you guys do in my situation? Would you trade in the G35 or keep it? Am I going to miss all that power?

I am looking forward to the better gas mileage, and really, why do I need to drive fast? it only endagers my life and others...I'm so indecisive it could kill me!!

Just throw out some thoughts and ideas..it'll be much apprciated!!! What would you guys do in my situtation??
Old 01-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Master in Science

Sounds like you already made your mind. The cost difference seems small; but how much would you loose in selling your car so soon?

Albeit you'd save money on the insurance...
Old 01-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Well since they are giving you good money for your G i would go for it. But .... what about the 05 G35 ? Thats what i, personally would consider. but since it seems speed and the looks dont matter to you(even though the TSX gets looks too) then the 05 G35 isnt worth it.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 PM
Racer

Not knowing how much you paid for the G-35, it is not possible to do any computations. But, it seems that your priorities have changed.

Personally, I have never liked the body style of the G-35 and I dislike the gas mileage even more; so I have never given one a second look. If I wanted a drag racer, I might consider the G-35, along with the Z-350 (?), the Mustang and the GTO. But, I would much rather have a car than is fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, doesn't attract too much unwanted attention (I have been that route already) and has a relatively low cost of ownership -- considering all factors. Therefore, in my case, I would probably pay more for a TSX than a G-35. While I don't know anything about the Infinity Dealers, I have been extremely pleased with Apple Tree Acura.

The TSX is much faster than anyone in their right mind would want to drive on the highways. I suspect it would cruise at 100 MPH all day long without straining. It just isn't quick and it doesn't have an abundance of torque. Don't expect it to spin the tires on dry payment. But, whenever I think of quickness, I also think of gas mileage -- the two are inversely related. But, have no doubt -- the TSX can get you all the speeding tickets you would care to have. And, it can gobble up the miles, I imagine, just as well as any G-35.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the same boat, the reason why I choose the TSX is cheaper in insurance, gas mileage, and car price wise (although you have your G35 almost paid off). Plus, it's a sedan which if a family should somehow arise in the future, I can use it as a four door. The clutch on G35 is somewhat heavy, although it is bearable, where as the TSX is soft enough, yet firm enough, but not so much that it would kill your left leg in stop and go traffic like San Francisco where I am probably going to drive my TSX soon.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by primags
Hello!
I have been thinking of trading in my 2003 non-navi G35 Coupe (auto, 15K miles) for a 05 TSX MT Navi CG Black interior. I love the G, but for one, I get a little more attention that I like to bring on myself, and also, it really sucks that I got an auto. Sure, it's still really fast, but I feel like I am just steering the car, not driving it like it's supposed to be.

I have been offered the above mentioned TSX for $2000 out the door. The price would really be 28,000 and then they would give me 26,500 for my G35.

I have only $5000 left to pay off on the G35. What would you guys do in my situation? Would you trade in the G35 or keep it? Am I going to miss all that power?

I am looking forward to the better gas mileage, and really, why do I need to drive fast? it only endagers my life and others...I'm so indecisive it could kill me!!

Just throw out some thoughts and ideas..it'll be much apprciated!!! What would you guys do in my situtation??
If you are that on the fence, wait a month and then reconsider.

In the meantime, a few points to ponder:

1) Yes, you will miss some power going from a V6 to a high revving I4. With the TSX, the power comes on very differently than with a V6, and a manual transmission really helps. I haven't driven an auto TSX, but I've driven enough auto cars to know the difference as far as power delivery goes. The engine in the TSX is very strong, but requires a good and proper break in period, and then needs to be driven properly to extract maximum...ummm...potential.

2) I don't know what your geographical location is, but if its anyplace with snow/ice, the TSX is front wheel drive, G35 is rear. TSX also has stability control, I'm assuming the G35 has some form of this as well (and if it doesn't it ought to for the price).

3) Trading in a relatively new car for an even newer car is always a losing proposition money-wise, no matter how you look at it. You say you only have $5k left to pay off on the G35. That's not much. With a $28k+ new TSX, you are starting all over again on a 4-5 year loan.

4) Sounds like you want Navigation and a manual. Your G35 has neither.

5) TSX is a sedan, G35 is a coupe -- much more of a "sports" car. You'd probably do this anyway, but be sure to test drive a TSX before buying.

6) Your gas mileage WILL be much better.

In the end, its up to you man. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I love the G35, and think it is a great car. The main reason I didn't buy one is that I HATED the interior and found the car really uncomfortable. It those issues don't bother you, it would make more sense to keep the G35.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:42 PM
TSX User

When shopping for my TSX, I also [albeit briefly] looked at the G35 sedan. I hated the design but I still drool when I spot a G35 coupe. Can't understand why you really need to "feel" as though you are driving...

Anyway, in your case, you would be saving $3000 and getting a car you want to drive. Not a bad deal.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Racer

I was so close to buying a g35 coupe, but one major obstacle prevented me from doing so. I guess it became apparently clear when the salesman told me that Infiniti has directions on how to put your golf-bag into the trunk! Since my purchase was to be my primary mode of auto-transportation, this just didn't make sense - especially at this time in my life. Plus, I thought it was very odd that a 38K car didn't even have driver's side memory seats!

Eeyore hit the nail on the head. You really need to drive it first. Coming from a CL-S with 260hp, driving the TSX was a disappointment. As mentioned by Eeyore, the car needs to be driven properly to get to it's full potential. I personally felt you had to drive it like it was stolen to get any form of real acceleration. Keep in mind though, I was t-driving an auto since a 5sp is very impractice for me. Just keep in mind it will be a different experience from what you will be used to with the G.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:22 PM
Advanced

I just traded my 04 G35 Coupe for a CG non nav 6MT just before the new year. I'm about to get married, just bought a house and I was able to use the equity in my Infiniti as a downpayment.

I lowered my monthly payments (got 2.9% for 60mos but I read someone just got 3.9%), my insurance is $120 less over 6 months and after 900 miles my first 2 fillups gave me 27 and 28mpg.

I haven't missed my G since i've traded it in. Don't miss the power, the TSX is plenty enough and since i'm breaking it in, havent really driven it hard. I knew I wouldn't be keeping the G for very long, totally opposite with the TSX.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:32 PM
CEO of IMHO

Power is definitely a relative thing. The G35 is a powerful beast... ton of bricks type power.

The TSX has a different kind of power -- an agile, airy power that is very fun in its own C&D-best-sports-sedan-for-2005 way.

True, it's really missing power from 0-10. But from a rolling start, the thing can kick, and on the highway, drop it into 5th and punch it and you'll feel the torque. It's not ton-of-bricks power, but it's punchy, fun power that puts just enough of your back to the seat to make you feel you're in a 6 cyl engine.

I thought I'd be really bummed about the power before I bought my 6MT/NAVI (I was cross-shopping the TL), but it turns out that in 90% of my driving, the power is surprisingly potent, fun, and, well, surprising!

Jon
Old 01-31-2005, 10:41 PM
CEO of IMHO

Regarding the look of the TSX vs. G35 coupe...

The TSX is a classy sports sedan. The G35C is a sexy sports coupe.

If I were working as a "cowboy" lead developer for a game manufacturer, I'd probably score more high-fives pulling into the parking lot with a G35C. Or if I were clubbing in downtown and pulled up to the valet, the G35C would probably earn a few more looks and nods of approval.

In most other situations, the TSX says "I'm smart, young at heart, and on top of my game enough that I don't have to brag about it." It's subtle confidence that won't turn as many heads but will earn you more respect in the long run.

Of course, this is just my own view of the world, based on no market research other than my own, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jon
Old 02-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Decroded piece of crap

Although I love both cars, I'd say keep the G a bit longer. You will be paying $2000 over what you paid for the G35 for a TSX. If you REALLY want the TSX, sell your G privately for more money and buy the TSX in cash.

Or, if you can wait a few years, sell your G and get a used TSX. Drive a sports car while you're still young, right?

I want a G.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 AM
ric
Safety Car

I drove the G35 (among many other choices) before leasing my 04. Thought the exterior was sexy as hell, I found the interior kind of tinny, and it ended up being more of a cost than I wanted to pay. Narrowed it down to the TL and the TSX, intended to lease the TL (more power, bigger interior, yadayadayada) but got seduced by the sweet handling of the TSX. It is no muscle car, but it is very nimble on the road - never drive it without smiling, reintroduced the fun into driving. I like the fact that the exterior (and interior) of the TSX are very understated, clean lines, no stupid body creases for nothing, etc.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 AM
TSX User

Originally Posted by ric
I like the fact that the exterior (and interior) of the TSX are very understated, clean lines, no stupid body creases for nothing, etc.
Yeah, that was the main selling point for me. The crease in the TL was just a tad too much for me.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ric
I like the fact that the exterior (and interior) of the TSX are very understated, clean lines, no stupid body creases for nothing, etc.
a lot.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
Yeah, that was the main selling point for me. The crease in the TL was just a tad too much for me.
Man, I love that crease!!! The sides of the TSX are so bland. And they are very exposed to damage, too. Someone hit their door right at the part where it angles, and now I have a huge dent I can't fix...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear

Well, I did it!

I went ahead and did it this morning. The way I thought about it was this:

I wasn't happy with my G35 like it was (auto, no nav), so I know that much. The TSX will be a good deal and retain it's value, so lets say I end up hating not having as much power, I can always sell the TSX and go back to a G35 with the configuration I want (6mt, Navi). AND I get to experience a new car in the middle.

I am fully planing on keeping the TSX, this is just what I told myself to let her go...heh..and black paint was killing me on upkeep. I can't wait to not have to worry about washing my car two times a week!!

Thanks for all your help guys, you really helped with the decidison.

Here is what I am getting: CG with Ebony interior, 6MT, Navi. It arrives the 8th of this month!!
Old 02-01-2005, 01:39 PM

Congrats on your new ride, enjoy
Old 02-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Master in Science

Exclamation

Here is what I am getting: CG with Ebony interior, 6MT, Navi. It arrives the 8th of this month!!
Awesome! You'll love it.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
the TSX says "I'm smart, young at heart, and on top of my game enough that I don't have to brag about it." It's subtle confidence that won't turn as many heads but will earn you more respect in the long run.

Jon

Old 02-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Congrats!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd be surprised if you regret anything else than the power. Good move, and welcome here!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:41 PM
I slow down for COPS

Congrats on your TSX and welcome.

I work on both cars all the time in my business, and like the TSX so much better then the G35 even despite the power. I personally have a TL, but almost got a TSX before the TL, the G35 was not even an option (luck of comfort).

Good luck with your new ride, Mark.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
ric
Safety Car

Great color - the best of the lot.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:54 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like the G but that front light design makes me puke
Old 02-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Just dial 1911

Am I going to miss all that power?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:08 AM
Advanced

You done good.

You'll miss the power a little bit. I went from an old G2 Legend to the TSX, and the Legend actually was a bit torquier. Overall, everything else more than makes up for the raw power you're going to give up. It handles great, looks great inside and out, and build quality is stunning - nothing beats a JDM Honda/Acura. You're also going to really enjoy having a backseat. Tonight I had a 54-year-old, 6'1" ex-Marine colonel w/bad feet praising the amount of legroom he had back there. Bottom line, you're going to be very happy for a long time. Enjoy!