G35 Coupe 6MT to 2007 TSX AT

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I've had my '04 for 38 months (manufacturered in August of '03/purchased in October of '03) and, hard to believe as this may be, has NEVER rattled -- not from the dash, not from the doors, not from the sunroof area, not from anywhere. I guess I just got lucky. And trust me, it's not that I'm not picky -- I am -- or that my hearing is bad. Actually, I read many of the rattle complaints before I bought the car and was duly worried that I'd soon be in the frustrated-owner camp, but the car has been rattle-free from Day 1. The only common problems I HAVE had are the HVAC/audio display going dark and the shifting driver's seat. The dealer replaced the audio unit under warranty (and I pray that I won't have the same problem with the replacement unit), and I long ago decided to just live with the shifting seat rather than let the dealer attempt to fix it. (It only shifts slightly, and only on a sharp, high-speed curve.)
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by dom
I still have an 04, my second. Read my previous post, I don't consider it a big problem either, an annoyance really. This is my 4th Honda and second TSX. I can't ever remember any of them rattling as much as either of my 04's. I know that doesn't mean they all do but it has to say something. My current 04 seems to be getting worse in the rattling department, my testament. Having said that I agree that all cars rattle in some form or another.

And if you look back. I've never been one to stir the pot so to speak regarding rattles. I've accepted that its probably related to first year (months) build issues. Its a risk I took and now live with.

As far as disparaging remarks, I really don't see it that way. All I've done is warn members that 04's are likley more problematic than 05+. I still think thats a factual and accurate statement to make. And thinking about it. I would advise anyone to stay away from any first year model vehicle, whether it be a TSX or BMW.

So you don't think that 4 pages of rattle threads is alot? Thats roughly 155 threads. Likely 140ish as not all are interior rattle specifc. Also, the height of the rattle threads occured on the old TSX board before we moved over here in late 03.
Dom, I do think it's a lot, for this site. My point was, we don't know about problems TSX owners have experienced in general, say nationwide. I would also expect enthusiast drivers like you find here to be more particular about niggling issues, and maybe magnify them a bit.

I have no idea whether later models have rattles or not, but my anecdotal experience is that my first year TSX has been pretty much trouble free. If the DBW wasn't the annoyance that it is, I'd go so far as to say it's a near perfect car.

'Nuff said on the topic.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by dom
I still have an 04, my second. Read my previous post, I don't consider it a big problem either, an annoyance really. This is my 4th Honda and second TSX. I can't ever remember any of them rattling as much as either of my 04's. I know that doesn't mean they all do but it has to say something. My current 04 seems to be getting worse in the rattling department, my testament. Having said that I agree that all cars rattle in some form or another.

And if you look back. I've never been one to stir the pot so to speak regarding rattles. I've accepted that its probably related to first year (months) build issues. Its a risk I took and now live with.

As far as disparaging remarks, I really don't see it that way. All I've done is warn members that 04's are likley more problematic than 05+. I still think thats a factual and accurate statement to make. And thinking about it. I would advise anyone to stay away from any first year model vehicle, whether it be a TSX or BMW.

So you don't think that 4 pages of rattle threads is alot? Thats roughly 155 threads. Likely 140ish as not all are interior rattle specifc. Also, the height of the rattle threads occured on the old TSX board before we moved over here in late 03.
Dom, I do think it's a lot, for this site. My point was, we don't know about problems TSX owners have experienced in general, say nationwide. I would also expect enthusiast drivers like you find here to be more particular about niggling issues, and maybe magnify them a bit.

I have no idea whether later models have rattles or not, but my anecdotal experience is that my first year TSX has been pretty much trouble free. If the DBW wasn't the annoyance that it is, I'd go so far as to say it's a near perfect car.

'Nuff said on the topic.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by waTSX

I have no idea whether later models have rattles or not, but my anecdotal experience is that my first year TSX has been pretty much trouble free.

We've had very different experiences with our 04's. Its only natural that we'd have very different opinions on the matter. My opinion certainly isn't any more valid than yours or vice versa.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My is that this board gets a small sampling of whats out there overall. But, it probably gets a slightly negative tilt. After all, Joe or Joanna Blow who buy a TSX and have no problems with it probably won't take the time to search the internet, register, and then post about how satisfied they are with their new TSX. On the other hand, if they have a problem/annoyance then the chances increase of that being posted on here. Just MHO.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The median age of TSX buyers is probly in the 40's and probly 45-50% women. I seriously doubt a 47 year old women would register just to complain. There are alot of owners we'll never hear from. And I have a hard time believing that their car which was probalbly made hours to minutes before or after mine doesn't likely have the same problems.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Intermediate

I agree with the whole idea of any online forum not being a representative cross section of buyers.

As for rattles, I think there are more annoying squeaks/rattles in my 2,300 mile 06 G35 coupe than in my 2004 33K mile TSX. That is one category in which I give the nod to the TSX. I would pull out my whole pro/con list but I have a feeling I would then spend weeks defending my opinions on both sides.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24738

How about TSB's. Are they not a good representation. How many compalints or reports exactly does Acura have to receive before it releases a TSB? I'm guessing quite a few. And how many TSB's are they for 05 and 06's?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by BoxedUp
Seems to be that way with most Nissans.
Why do I still see a lot of older Maximas on the road still than older Accords?

I also saw this old Datsun 280x and a 300zx too the other day, but I haven't seen any Preludes in a long time.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Racer

I'm a G35c to TSX converter as well.

My 2005 G35c:

My 2006 TSX 6MT:

There are many, many reasons why I converted.

Basically, the G35 is one of the most pleasing cars to look at on the road, but driving/owning one is a different story. I didn't really have any problems/failures, but the overall build quality and fit 'n finish is terrible for the money. Interior materials are cheap, things don't line up, leather feels like vinyl, no on-board computer, crappy MT ('05+ at least; made me get an AT, which was numbing), terribly excuse for a sound system, guzzles gas (17MPG around town on premium gas), and insurance was crazy high.

The TSX is so refreshing. The 6MT is God's gift to transmissions, the interior quality is phenomenal,the stereo is great (for stock), all the bells and whistles for very little $$$, and even though the numbers don't say it is as fast as a G35, the thing just FEELS fast and the handling is superb. I haven't had a SINGLE regret - getting rid of the G35 actually felt like a big weight off my shoulders (of course it helped that my payments went down about $170/month and my gas bill was almost cut in half).
Old 12-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Car Nut

Well, sounds like you believe that you made the right choice! Plus, you have some eclusivity: not too many MR TSXs around (at least not where I am!). Welcome to AZ!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Racer

Very interesting Bleser. I agree about the G35's looks, but lack of refinement at this price point is a big turn-off for me as well.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:23 PM
6th Gear

Switching from G35 to TSX

Well you have another member now who is about to make the switch -

Currently own 2006 Infiniti G35 coupe (premium package). I got it on a superb 12 month/12K lease ($379/month) which expires the end of September. I cannot afford to buy it ($29K residual) along with my monthly insurance of $250 (yeah...long story!), and $200+ gas expense/month - BUT - I will miss the car and compliments I receive almost every single time I take it out (like from a 2005 Caddy XLR owner 2 days ago!).

From my EXTENSIVE research - I've about 60% decided to get a TSX. I have driven the '04 and '07 TSX, they both drive the same. My budget is ~20K, so a used one seems appropriate. No doubt, the TSX is probably the best 4 cyl. FWD out there, in terms of handling, performance and fuel economy. I am also hoping my insurance will go down a bit with the TSX.

My ONLY other option - is a SCION Tc. I know its handling, fuel economy are not as good as the TSX - but the HEAD TURNING factor and mods available for ~20K total is very tempting. Plus the torque is impressive as well.

So my gf and I are both very confused - TSX GURUS - please help!!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought the interior on my friend's 05 G35C 6m/t was a step below the TSX in terms of quality feel. That's partly why the new crop of G's are getting good reviews...better quality interior matierials used.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Race Director

Scion TC screams boy racer, while the TSX is an entry level luxury sedan. Since I see you're 27 yrs old, I think the TSX would be more appropriate for your age than the TC.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:11 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Scion TC screams boy racer, while the TSX is an entry level luxury sedan. Since I see you're 27 yrs old, I think the TSX would be more appropriate for your age than the TC.
That's true, I work for a financial company, so I do feel the TSX would seem appropriate. However, I am I don't want to feel OLD (btw, I am 24 not 27, sorry ).

I know the TSX interior is awesome as well - I really like it. The interior of the 06+ G35c is flawless...unlike the older G's (i hate the interior of my buddy's 04 G35c). But those who make comments on the G35c's interior should check out the 06+ models, specially the NAV equipped ones.

The drawbacks I find with the TSX are:
1. Less TORQUE (compared to weight)
2. Less of a head turner
3. No MP3 CD player

About the mp3 player, has anyone installed Acura's MP3 CD player? Any feedback on it? I do think there is 1 available...
Old 07-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mishk99
That's true, I work for a financial company, so I do feel the TSX would seem appropriate. However, I am I don't want to feel OLD (btw, I am 24 not 27, sorry ).

I know the TSX interior is awesome as well - I really like it. The interior of the 06+ G35c is flawless...unlike the older G's (i hate the interior of my buddy's 04 G35c). But those who make comments on the G35c's interior should check out the 06+ models, specially the NAV equipped ones.

2. Less of a head turner
3. No MP3 CD player

About the mp3 player, has anyone installed Acura's MP3 CD player? Any feedback on it? I do think there is 1 available...
The scion offers a lot for its price, but I think the TSX offers even more. I was looking at both and obviously chose the TSX. I also chose the TSX because I didn't want to be grouped with the average high school kid trying to race every car at every stop light.

I would have to disagree with #2 on your list. I get plenty of head turns in my TSX. I get even more now with my recent mods.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know it's budget wise, but can't really compare TC to TSX as car to car
i have a friend who drives 06 TC, and refinement is just one issue.
price is good at your budget, but you will regret not getting like a used TSX.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by mishk99

2. Less of a head turner
3. No MP3 CD player

hmm, but it says 27 in your profile to the side
Old 07-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't get a '04 TSX. Not worth the money in my opinion. For $20k, I would get a brand new Mazda3 Grand Touring or Scion tC. The '04 TSX has about the same features as a brand new economy car now. The Scion tC is probably faster than the TSX and easier to mod. There's no mp3 player for the '04 TSX but I think you can get aftermarket parts to plug in an ipod via aux input. The Scion tC comes with an aux input already I think.

I would also suggest the new Nissan Sentra or Altima.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all features, prestige, quality, performance aside, there is one very good reason why a used '04 TSX is better than a new mazda3 or any other new car you can buy at that price: depreciation.

the second you drive that new car off the lot it's losing 20-30% of its initial value and in most cases will depreciate faster than the TSX over the years. so if you sell your car in 5 years, you can be staring at an extra few thousand dollars in total cost of ownership!