G35 Coupe 6MT to 2007 TSX AT

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post G35 Coupe 6MT to 2007 TSX AT

I just traded my 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT for the 2007 TSX 5-Speed AT. I'm still getting used to the power difference… shewwww. I drove the 6MT TSX, but didn’t see advantage vs. the auto. I've only added a K&N and removed the tube to the resonator so far as I've only had the car for five days. I would like to upgrade the factory amp as it tends to roll over pretty bad as you approach saturation. Does anyone know of a direct replacement for the factory amp or adaptors that can be used so that none of the factory wiring is cut? I understand that the factory amp is located under the head unit and have seen the pics of the factory amp someone posted- the guy’s at the local stereo shop were gonna tap into it somewhere in the trunk with an Alpine amp (MRP-F250). I’ve searched this forum and have seen a lot of ideas and suggestions… I’m looking for something definitive. I can install the amp myself if I had some concrete answers on exactly how the factory amp is bypassed and tapped into. Any info is appreciated. I’m a newbie on the forum scene so bear with me…

thankz,
nullsetzero
------------------------------------------
2007 TSX AT Premium White Pearl

the old ride... (momentary lapse of reason)
Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by nullsetzero
I drove the 6MT TSX, but didn’t see advantage vs. the auto.

You should drive them again.

As for you other questions. Have a look here for all your answers.
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/

And welcome to the board. We don't get too many G35 to TSX converts around here.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 AM
VSA Rocks

Wow. That's a change. At least you didn't resort to a Civic for your monetary reasons.

Just curious, how much did the monthly payment difference end up being? My guess is over $100 and 40% less on gas.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dom
You should drive them again.

As for you other questions. Have a look here for all your answers.
https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

And welcome to the board. We don't get too many G35 to TSX converts around here.
Thanks for the nfo... I'll dig through it and see what I can find. I traded the G35 for quality reasons... it ran great but the electronics and craftsmanship were very poor. (long story). The TSX seems much better in both categories- so far.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Wow. That's a change. At least you didn't resort to a Civic for your monetary reasons.

Just curious, how much did the monthly payment difference end up being? My guess is over $100 and 40% less on gas.
Well, I cant compare directly b/c the G35 was a lease and I bought the TSX. I'm paying ~$40 more per month with the TSX, but at least I own it
Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Race Director

Thanks for the nfo... I'll dig through it and see what I can find. I traded the G35 for quality reasons... it ran great but the electronics and craftsmanship were very poor. (long story). The TSX seems much better in both categories- so far.

Really?? Considering that both the G35 and TSX are both Made in Japan, that's kind of odd about the poor craftsmanship and electronics.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't listen to dom, he has traders remorse. Congrats on the new ride and welcome to Azine.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Really?? Considering that both the G35 and TSX are both Made in Japan, that's kind of odd about the poor craftsmanship and electronics.
ok...
I replaced the CD Changer/HU six... count em six times.
Driver side window motor twice
Passenger side window motor once.
kits in both doors to fix some rattle- twice in both doors
kit in rear window finisher to fix rattle
back dash rattles when playing music w/bass
both headlights cracked from inside- replaced
somthing lose in dash- slides side to side when in curve- they had no idea what it was
not to mention 18" Pilot Sports on the front every 6k miles due to factory camber settings that cant be adjusted w/o Stillen plates which are over $1000
...and on and on. I bought the car new and took good care of it too.

I do miss the power and handling though... no comparison to the TSX.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
Don't listen to dom, he has traders remorse. Congrats on the new ride and welcome to Azine.
I do have a bit of buyers remorse tho... but I like my new TSX. It seems much nicer- better quality all around.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 AM
10th Gear

ok...
somthing lose in dash- slides side to side when in curve- they had no idea what it was
not to mention 18" Pilot Sports on the front every 6k miles due to factory camber settings that cant be adjusted w/o Stillen plates which are over $1000

Every used G35 I test drove had something that I would have wanted fixed before I settled on it. Mostly small things, like the little slide-out compartment on the back of the center console was broken, but it speaks to the build quality and attention to detail overall. The place where I was looking, they would have fixed any of it for no charge, but I was still unimpressed with the build quality. These were only 2 year old cars with under 20 thousand miles on them!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
08 MDX with Sports

what a list...

ok...

LOL.. another word don't get me started on the issues with g35c.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

ok...

Lucky you didn't get an 04 TSX.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Remorse that I didn't trade it in sooner.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by dom
Remorse that I didn't trade it in sooner.
Just to clarify for the OP.

DOM traded a 5-AT TSX for a 6-MT TSX
Old 12-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Viking
Just to clarify for the OP.

DOM traded a 04-AT TSX for a 05-MT TSX
fixed Dom wouldn't be cought dead with those 06 rims.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dom
Lucky you didn't get an 04 TSX.
Don't understand that one, I own both an 04 and an 06. The 04 is why we got the 06, never had one single issue with it. That being said, the 06 has been back twice for condense issue with lights.

My brother owned a G35 for a total of 4 months, during that time he had some many issues with it, it was returned and actually was able to use the state lemon law. They replaced his climate control module 4 times among other things. You made a great decision, not all Japanese companies are the same with quality, there's Honda, then everyone else.

I have no illusions of a quarter mile car for my tsx, I know what it is, which is a great commuter with more power than I need on my drive to work or on vacation. If I need to romp on it, I will take the vette out
Old 12-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
Don't understand that one, I own both an 04 and an 06. The 04 is why we got the 06, never had one single issue with it. That being said, the 06 has been back twice for condense issue with lights.

My brother owned a G35 for a total of 4 months, during that time he had some many issues with it, it was returned and actually was able to use the state lemon law. They replaced his climate control module 4 times among other things. You made a great decision, not all Japanese companies are the same with quality, there's Honda, then everyone else.

I have no illusions of a quarter mile car for my tsx, I know what it is, which is a great commuter with more power than I need on my drive to work or on vacation. If I need to romp on it, I will take the vette out
Just curious, but why do you have 2 cars that are the same model? I could understand maybe in 2 yrs when the 2nd gen TSX comes out or a TSX coupe, but 2 of the same 4 dr TSX?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
Look around the board for 04 problems. While reliable, they are ridden with squeaks/rattles, failed radio's, condensation in headlights etc. I chalk it up to first year build issues and would have no problem buying or recommending an 05+.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

fixed Dom wouldn't be cought dead with those 06 rims.

While your right about the wheels. Viking was right, I traded for an 04 MT.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by dom
Look around the board for 04 problems. While reliable, they are ridden with squeaks/rattles, failed radio's, condensation in headlights etc. I chalk it up to first year build issues and would have no problem buying or recommending an 05+.
I'm pretty sure those problems aren't first year only things, is there a poll which MY those failed radios are?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
While your right about the wheels. Viking was right, I traded for an 04 MT.

06 Rims FTW!

"Dom's Hate for 06 Wheels"

Old 12-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Just curious, but why do you have 2 cars that are the same model? I could understand maybe in 2 yrs when the 2nd gen TSX comes out or a TSX coupe, but 2 of the same 4 dr TSX?
One is a business vehicle, used and kept at work, the other is a personal vehicle driven daily. I had to purchase a business vehicle and I had no problem recommending the TSX as the vehicle for the job. The only issue we have is my wife maybe selling her business and we havent decided if we will include the TSX as the deal breaker.

I would love to have and drive both but I only have room for 3 cars in my garage, and she says I cant have any more extra toys! So one maybe going the first of next year.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
I'm pretty sure those problems aren't first year only things, is there a poll which MY those failed radios are?
All of these problems with rattles and failed radios were not as wide spread as people on here make it seem. Most of the cars sold after fall of 03 were not prone to these problems and at the same time, those with problems were a one time fix for each problem (for example, people haven't swapped out radios 4 times to get one that works!)
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fast1
All of these problems with rattles and failed radios were not as wide spread as people on here make it seem. Most of the cars sold after fall of 03 were not prone to these problems and at the same time, those with problems were a one time fix for each problem (for example, people haven't swapped out radios 4 times to get one that works!)
The problems were/are very wide spread... I know three people where I work that sold their cars because they were junk. They consisted of two 2004 models and one 2005 not including mine- all bought new and meticulously maintained. All had the same problem. Also, when they replace the radio, they were refurbished not new. The definition of insanity is repeating the same actions and expecting a different result. I bought my car new- MSRP over $37k and babied it. If I wanted a car that I had to work on all the time and rattled I would get my old 78 Camaro back on the road from high school

What year G35 Coupe 6MT do you or did you own?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:00 AM
10th Gear

The problems were/are very wide spread... I know three people where I work that sold their cars because they were junk. They consisted of two 2004 models and one 2005 not including mine- all bought new and meticulously maintained. All had the same problem. Also, when they replace the radio, they were refurbished not new. The definition of insanity is repeating the same actions and expecting a different result. I bought my car new- MSRP over $37k and babied it. If I wanted a car that I had to work on all the time and rattled I would get my old 78 Camaro back on the road from high school

What year G35 Coupe 6MT do you or did you own?

I am pretty sure he is talking about the minor problems experienced by '04 TSX owners, not '04 G35 owners.

I haven't had any problems with my '04 TSX though.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Cruisin'

oh... sorry... my bad fast1
Old 12-07-2006, 08:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I could have sworn I replied to these posts yesterday?

Anyway, I have to disagree about the problems not being widespread. While I have no proof to back this up the fact that just about all early 04 owners who posted here experienced the same problems as far rattles go. Keep in mind thats only people who posted here. What about the thousands that don't know this site existed. I've owned 2 04's and they both have the excat same problems down to a blown bulb for the seat heater switch. Thats no coincidence.

Having said that, the car is still 100% reliable. So the problems are really just annoyances.

As for one time fix. My 1st TSX still had all the rattlles I complained about after a few attempts at fixing and my new 04 has the same. Maybe it was my fault for giving up so easily. Not to mention seat grinding, condensation in headlights etc. Again annoyances.

And Xizor, all radio problems are 04's.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Threads...and threads like this one convince me more and more to SC my 06. I often toy with the idea of moving over to a g35 coupe. IMHO, it is one the best looking car designs in the world, at any price. However, the balance and reliability of honda products simply cannot be beat. We own TSX and a 05 Pilot. We sold a 95 Civc to buy the Pilot. the 95 had a 185,000 miles on it; zero major breakdowns and at 185k I ran 85 to 90 mph between Houston and SA once a month or so.

G35 is pretty and is a go fast car - no doubt., But we all live INSIDE our cars and cannot drive 100 every day.

Some of the go fast of a G in the honda package is a deal killer for any future G purchase...

Unless, of course the 08 coupe is hot....
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Intermediate

It is interesting to see another G35/TSX person here. Our two daily drivers are an 04 TSX Auto and an 06 G35C 6MT. I would be interested in your thoughts between the two. I have a pretty lengthy list of strong and weak points of each.

-GT
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Newplay1
LOL.. another word don't get me started on the issues with g35c.

I agree. I had two, a 04 and 05, quality was a big problem. I won't buy another Infiniti/Nissan for a while due to it.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:35 AM
TSX 1138

I traded the G35 for quality reasons... it ran great but the electronics and craftsmanship were very poor.
Seems to be that way with most Nissans.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
To be honest, I test drove an '06 6MT G35c a week or two ago, and I wasn't overly impressed.

It does have a bit more power, and the v6 does purr. But for the price of a comparably equipped G35c, you can add engine and suspension mods to a stock TSX and have it perform just as well as (if not better than) a stock G35c...and have enough cash leftover for 6 months worth of gas.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DAYTA
To be honest, I test drove an '06 6MT G35c a week or two ago, and I wasn't overly impressed.

It does have a bit more power, and the v6 does purr. But for the price of a comparably equipped G35c, you can add engine and suspension mods to a stock TSX and have it perform just as well as (if not better than) a stock G35c...and have enough cash leftover for 6 months worth of gas.

If you can find a 298HP TSX, let me know.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
If you can find a 298HP TSX, let me know.
With the CT S/C, intake, header, exhaust, and RT cat on an '06 6MT I would think you'd be pretty close to that (if you're talking about bhp).

I believe it was jmatthews who dynoed at 244whp with the S/C, intake, and header on an '04 6MT, meaning that he was putting out about 280hp at the crank. With a cat+exhaust, I bet he'd be extremely close to 298hp (and above that with a high-boost pulley...)
Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DAYTA
With the CT S/C, intake, header, exhaust, and RT cat on an '06 6MT I would think you'd be pretty close to that (if you're talking about bhp).

I believe it was jmatthews who dynoed at 244whp with the S/C, intake, and header on an '04 6MT, meaning that he was putting out about 280hp at the crank. With a cat+exhaust, I bet he'd be extremely close to 298hp (and above that with a high-boost pulley...)

And for the money spent, he could have a 07 G35. You really can't compare modded cars to stock. To each his own but for the money I'd rather have a stock G35 or TL-S for that matter over a car that is now not as reliable as it once was, nor the value it once was either. But thats me.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
And for the money spent, he could have a 07 G35. You really can't compare modded cars to stock. To each his own but for the money I'd rather have a stock G35 or TL-S for that matter over a car that is now not as reliable as it once was, nor the value it once was either. But thats me.
I understand what you're saying. My comparision was based on the price point of the G35. I was just saying that for the price of a stock G35, it would also be possible to have a stock TSX + aftermarket parts which would most likely equal (or even beat) a stock G35 performance-wise for the same money.

Regarding reliabilty, G35s don't seem to be very reliable stock anyway (my friend had an '05 G35c with all kinds of problems as well), so I think that'd be a wash. Perhaps the '07 will change that stigma...

And as far as the TL-S is concerned, I haven't driven one (only a regular TL), but I still doubt it would be close to rivaling a TSX or G35 in the handling department .
Old 12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Have camera, will travel

For every issue certain moderators overstate for the '04's, there's plenty of owners who haven't experienced the problems. I'd recommend an '04 to a friend without reservation.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:02 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by waTSX

For every issue certain moderators overstate for the '04's, there's plenty of owners who haven't experienced the problems. I'd recommend an '04 to a friend without reservation.

Certain moderators meaning me. Why not just come out and say it? Anyway show me proof of these problems not being widespread. As far as this board is concerned they are widespread. Think back to the summer of 04 and the endless rattle threads that appeared.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have no proof either, nor will I(we) ever have to back up our arguments but the fact that so many 04 owners on this board complained of rattles has to lead me to believe it was a widespread problem. Considering what a small percentage of TSX owners this board actually represents, thats saying something IMO.

Then again a search on the term "rattle" only returned 4 pages of results so maybe I'm crazy.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Have camera, will travel

I'm only trying to give the other side. You made it more than clear during your time with your '04 that you had problems with the car. Me, I've never had a car that didn't have a rattle or two at one time or another. The TSX is no different. I just don't consider it a big problem, and it certainly hasn't been a chronic issue. The car is more solid and well-built than any I've owned. After three years, I feel that way more than ever. I'm not sure I can give a better testament than that.

Some n00b member that comes here and reads a moderators post disparaging '04's might be scared away from buying one, and I think that's wrong. IMO, get a well-maintained '04 and you get a great used car.

Four pages? Out of how many owners? Like you said, a pretty small sampling.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by waTSX
I'm only trying to give the other side. You made it more than clear during your time with your '04 that you had problems with the car. Me, I've never had a car that didn't have a rattle or two at one time or another. The TSX is no different. I just don't consider it a big problem, and it certainly hasn't been a chronic issue. The car is more solid and well-built than any I've owned. After three years, I feel that way more than ever. I'm not sure I can give a better testament than that.

Some n00b member that comes here and reads a moderators post disparaging '04's might be scared away from buying one, and I think that's wrong. IMO, get a well-maintained '04 and you get a great used car.

Four pages? Out of how many owners? Like you said, a pretty small sampling.
I still have an 04, my second. Read my previous post, I don't consider it a big problem either, an annoyance really. This is my 4th Honda and second TSX. I can't ever remember any of them rattling as much as either of my 04's. I know that doesn't mean they all do but it has to say something. My current 04 seems to be getting worse in the rattling department, my testament. Having said that I agree that all cars rattle in some form or another.

And if you look back. I've never been one to stir the pot so to speak regarding rattles. I've accepted that its probably related to first year (months) build issues. Its a risk I took and now live with.

As far as disparaging remarks, I really don't see it that way. All I've done is warn members that 04's are likley more problematic than 05+. I still think thats a factual and accurate statement to make. And thinking about it. I would advise anyone to stay away from any first year model vehicle, whether it be a TSX or BMW.

So you don't think that 4 pages of rattle threads is alot? Thats roughly 155 threads. Likely 140ish as not all are interior rattle specifc. Also, the height of the rattle threads occured on the old TSX board before we moved over here in late 03.

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe 6MT to 2007 TSX AT