Fugly annoying Acura Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pby
That is so wrong ....

I think everyone here agrees [except for you] that Acura cut one particular corner that we see and use everyday. Facts are facts ... I just wanted to know if there are any aftermarket alternatives.

Though I am glad I didn't get the S40. That is one huge fugly key fob that you may as well stick up your butt than keep in your pocket.
Read my post again, was I commenting on the quality of the remote? NO. I was commenting on how people think the buttons are "hard to find".
Old 12-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Read my post again, was I commenting on the quality of the remote? NO. I was commenting on how people think the buttons are "hard to find".

I must be dumb then because I still open my trunk when trying to unlock the doors sometimes.

TSX FOB = Teh
Old 12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by wsklar
I must be dumb then because I still open my trunk when trying to unlock the doors sometimes.

I dont see how. One is a concave button on the right, the other a convex button on the left, I dont see how you can get them confused.

Maybe Im too much of an "observationist", but I like gadgets so things like this are just second nature I guess...
Old 12-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Go Giants

I dont see how. One is a concave button on the right, the other a convex button on the left, I dont see how you can get them confused.

Maybe Im too much of an "observationist", but I like gadgets so things like this are just second nature I guess...

Picture if you will a man in his early 30's standing outside in the dark, it's raining and he is carrying a 1 1/2 year old child.....I think you get the idea...
Old 12-09-2004, 02:17 PM
pby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I can't seem to find anyone in this thread who was specifically bitching about the confusing Acura fob layout, my response referred to the fob cover link you suggested.

Kind of reminds me of the leather/plastic cover I got with my cell phone. I never use it.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

how about getting an Accord key cut for the TSX and getting the microchip inside programmed to match (and the keyless entry part too..)? Immobilizer should be the same, wouldnt it?
Old 12-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by pokerface
how about getting an Accord key cut for the TSX and getting the microchip inside programmed to match (and the keyless entry part too..)? Immobilizer should be the same, wouldnt it?
This has been discussed before and the problem is that the Accord key is cut differently from the TSX, for whatever reason and thus the two aren't compatible. I'm sure that if someone wanted to do it though, there would be a way.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Just dial 1911

Picture if you will a man in his early 30's standing outside in the dark, it's raining and he is carrying a 1 1/2 year old child.....I think you get the idea...
Ok, so explain how a different fob would make things any easier for you in that situation. You still have to take it out and press something.

Im curious as to what the Odyssey's fob looks like. I want to know how pressing a button while holding 5 kids is made "easier".
Old 12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by pby
While I can't seem to find anyone in this thread who was specifically bitching about the confusing Acura fob layout, my response referred to the fob cover link you suggested.

Kind of reminds me of the leather/plastic cover I got with my cell phone. I never use it.
I did. Read your thread over...again...
Old 12-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Personally, I like the TSX fob fine. Not a big deal to me. Though I do understand the issue with the unlock button. It is tough to find without looking at it.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Go Giants

Ok, so explain how a different fob would make things any easier for you in that situation. You still have to take it out and press something.

Im curious as to what the Odyssey's fob looks like. I want to know how pressing a button while holding 5 kids is made "easier".

Im not a FOB designer nor do I pretend to be. I am just a FOB user and I can tell you that the FOB for my Dodge Intrepid (aftermarket) was easier (even in the situation I gave). Maybe bigger buttons

at holding 5 kids. Maybe in Totem Pole fashion......
Old 12-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Just dial 1911

Im not a FOB designer nor do I pretend to be. I am just a FOB user and I can tell you that the FOB for my Dodge Intrepid (aftermarket) was easier (even in the situation I gave). Maybe bigger buttons

at holding 5 kids. Maybe in Totem Pole fashion......
Ok, I agree about bigger buttons. And actually, I would rather have the Unlock button as the bigger button.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Go Giants

Ok, I agree about bigger buttons. And actually, I would rather have the Unlock button as the bigger button.

The Odyssey FOB doesn't look any better...

Old 12-09-2004, 03:26 PM
pby
Instructor

I did. Read your thread over...again...
Old 12-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Über Geek

[QUOTE=wsklar]The Odyssey FOB doesn't look any better...
True but the flat black finish holds up a lot better than our faux metallic flake crap.

I'd be OK if the fob was either bulky OR it scratched easily but BOTH is a huge aggrevation.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
Personally, I like the TSX fob fine. Not a big deal to me. Though I do understand the issue with the unlock button. It is tough to find without looking at it.
I'm fine with the FOB as well. I think the VW/Audi key looks cooler, but I'm not sure if it is a whole lot less bulky.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Instructor

I am surprisied no one had said this! So this is my
We all know to replace a car key is very expensive. What about keys with build in fob! Super expensive! For example, wash you pants with key and a fob in it! Cheaper to replace the fob instead the whole key/fob thing!
Old 12-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by Bananaairsoft
We all know to replace a car key is very expensive. What about keys with build in fob! Super expensive! For example, wash you pants with key and a fob in it! Cheaper to replace the fob instead the whole key/fob thing!
Man, I can't see washing a tissue or pen in your britches...but a key fob and keys
Maybe I'm the only janitor-in-training with 8 keys plus 2 car keys plus 2 key fobs, but I can't imagine getting all of that into our washer and not noticing
Old 12-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by keg1997
Man, I can't see washing a tissue or pen in your britches...but a key fob and keys
Maybe I'm the only janitor-in-training with 8 keys plus 2 car keys plus 2 key fobs, but I can't imagine getting all of that into our washer and not noticing
I know of people who have done it, so it is entirely possible. Of course, they were all women, so maybe that had something to do with it...
Old 12-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Not an Ashtray

Replace the Acura FOB is damn expensive, and is replacing the key (which has a chip in it). Besides, Acura is probably not using this kind of fob as a way of saving us money.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Go Giants

So let me get this one straight.....Do most people have their key and their FOB on different key rings??? No!!! So unless I detach the FOB from my keyring, then purposely put the key back into my pants to be washed, this does not make sense....Not to mention, I don't think a key will be damaged going through the wash...
Old 12-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Key in fob would keep the fob from banging against steering column which annoys me.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jlukja
Key in fob would keep the fob from banging against steering column which annoys me.
Now THAT is an annoyance! My fob rubs on my knee which is annoying as well.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Banned

yeah, both those suck, a autostart button and one of those fobs you just keep in your pocket that the car sences would be cool
Love how Merc Mclaren SLR has it..... you pop open the top of the shifter and theres the Engine Start button, thats so Badass

Edit: heres a pic

ReEdit: Fixed the link
Old 12-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Banned

Or attcually one of those Switchblade Keys would be cool too...::flips it open:: step one step closer and I Cut you...i cut you real good man...I cut you
Old 12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
10th Gear

I got a leather remote holder from handa-accessories. Works pretty well - my FOB doesn't have a scratch and the leather protects it from water.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/merchandise-acu.html

It is the last item on the page.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by MemRheins
Or attcually one of those Switchblade Keys would be cool too...::flips it open:: step one step closer and I Cut you...i cut you real good man...I cut you
LOL!
Old 12-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but why is everyone complaining about the remote fob? If you do not like the fob, here is an easy solution.. Take the fob off the keyring and lock and unlock the doors the "old fashioned way" USING THE KEY IN THE KEYHOLE!!!

Just my 2 cents!
Old 12-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by sabby
Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but why is everyone complaining about the remote fob? If you do not like the fob, here is an easy solution.. Take the fob off the keyring and lock and unlock the doors the "old fashioned way" USING THE KEY IN THE KEYHOLE!!!

Just my 2 cents!
Have you not noticed the lack of keyhole on the passengers side door?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

yeah, both those suck, a autostart button and one of those fobs you just keep in your pocket that the car sences would be cool
Love how Merc Mclaren SLR has it..... you pop open the top of the shifter and theres the Engine Start button, thats so Badass

Edit: heres a pic

ReEdit: Fixed the link
Wow .... you could pretty set this up in your car pretty easily. Setup remote-start .... then replace the stock-shifter with one with the button on it. Wire up the button to transmit to the remote-start. Which makes me wonder .... how does remote-start work on the TSX w/o the key. You still have to put the key in the ignition to unlock the wheel right?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lukatmyshu
Wow .... you could pretty set this up in your car pretty easily. Setup remote-start .... then replace the stock-shifter with one with the button on it. Wire up the button to transmit to the remote-start. Which makes me wonder .... how does remote-start work on the TSX w/o the key. You still have to put the key in the ignition to unlock the wheel right?
Generally speaking remote starts require you to put the key in the ignition before you can put it in gear. If you put your foot on the break, it shuts the car off, unless key is inside ignition
Old 12-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Banned

I belive you need to put your key in the ignition still, which would be cool, but im using the Ciggerette lighter for my blue light right now, so Id rather not lose that plug. Would be cool if you could put it right where the microfilter is esp on the Aluminum trim...

But that Merc is so Badass
Old 12-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Racer

Have you not noticed the lack of keyhole on the passengers side door?
Yeah, i noticed that about most new cars. My 94 had it.. Guess it is the way to save money these days.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:08 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Yeah, i noticed that about most new cars. My 94 had it.. Guess it is the way to save money these days.
I think it's more of an aesthetic thing.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I belive you need to put your key in the ignition still, which would be cool, but im using the Ciggerette lighter for my blue light right now, so Id rather not lose that plug. Would be cool if you could put it right where the microfilter is esp on the Aluminum trim...

But that Merc is so Badass
actually, if you look at Toyota Prius, it senses the remote and doesn't need to insert the key before you push-start.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Kick Ass Duke

TSX FOB = Teh

n00b
Old 12-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by SweetA$$Ride
n00b

Old 12-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Here is the solution to the "no keyhole in the passenger door". Put key in hole on driver's side.. turn twice.. all doors (and trunk) are now unlocked!! The reason most car manufacturers stopped putting keyholes on passenger side is partially for cost savings, and also to resulting from consumer research that showed that most people always open the car from the driver's side.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by sabby
Here is the solution to the "no keyhole in the passenger door". Put key in hole on driver's side.. turn twice.. all doors (and trunk) are now unlocked!! The reason most car manufacturers stopped putting keyholes on passenger side is partially for cost savings, and also to resulting from consumer research that showed that most people always open the car from the driver's side.
I mostly need to open the passenger door first (laptop in the passenger seat, baby in the rear, etc.)
Old 12-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Advanced

I mostly need to open the passenger door first (laptop in the passenger seat, baby in the rear, etc.)
isn't it easier to just push a button?
i rather have keyless entry than keyhole on the passenger door

Quick Reply: Fugly annoying Acura Key Fob