Freezing rain vs TSX (Esp Oregon)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 05:49 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Freezing rain vs TSX (Esp Oregon)

Just out of curiosity, how well does the TSX handle in freezing rain? Currently here in Oregon, due to the ice on the freeway/streets, cars/trucks have literally been sliding off the roads. For those who have ventured on iced roads, how does the TSX peform? Does the VSA work as well it claims it does?
Old 01-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX and VSA: As good as Acura claims?

Great question!

Acura makes the VSA traction system on the '05 TSX sounds almost like AWD-like ability (see bottom of document on VSA; link below). Does anyone have experience with this vehicle under slippery or icy road conditions? It sounds from other Acura forums that the TSX is very comparable to A4 quattro and Legacy when it comes to handling in adverse conditions. Is this just wishful thinking or does it approach AWD? Can anyone comment based on experience?

I am considering buying an '05 TSX or a 05 CRV SE (I know this sounds strange), but I drive country roads (50 miles RT) each day that are rough and wet/icy in winter/spring, hence my concern about the TSX.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3042?m...52496&mime=asc
Old 01-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Cruisin'

Exclamation Freezing rain/ice

I found that with 4 wheel snows the car does very well (Blizaks). The stabilty control comes on when needed. I took a few turns around a very frozen but empty parking lot that i could hardly walk on, and had a hard time getting it to spin or even step-out even at about 15 mph and sharp turns. I don't have experience with 4-wheel drive, but it is much better than the front wheel drive cars I have had with only front snows. I should have taken the stability control off. I'm sure it would have been more fun, but probably i would still be there trying to get out, it was that slick.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Advanced

We got about a 1/2" of freezing rain one night and I just had to take the car out to give it a try. I think the VSA works very well. When the car starts to slide sideways, the VSA helps bring the rear of the car back in line. I went down one road and somewhat lost control and I believe the VSA kept me out of the ditch. It's good for take-off's if your in no hurry. It will kill the power to the wheels to avoid slipping. Take it off and you'll accelerate much faster. I got stuck on a hill because of that too. It just kept going slower and slower. When I finally turned it off, I was already stopped and it would just spin. I just let it slide back a little, then spun the front end around and took a different route. Overall I was very happy with how it handled on the ice. Oh yeah, I'm also running Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Never took it out in the ice last year with the stock tires on.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:42 PM
8th Gear

ice

I was hoping the TSX would be better in the snow and ice because of the VSA system. I was surprised when the car got stuck at the bottom of my hilly driveway. There was only 1.5 inches of snow in the road and on the driveway and the car kept getting stuck at the bottom of the hill. The VSA was no help, it kept cutting off the power and even after I shut the VSA off, the car just kept spinning and didn't move at all.The car sat out in the road while I cleaned the snow from the driveway. My 02 Accord EX V6 has TCS and to me, this system seems to work better, I have never been stuck out on the road or at the bottom of the driveway, so when the weather gets nasty in the Northeast, the TSX stays parked, and the Accord gets to play in the snow.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeeture
Great question!

Acura makes the VSA traction system on the '05 TSX sounds almost like AWD-like ability (see bottom of document on VSA; link below). Does anyone have experience with this vehicle under slippery or icy road conditions? It sounds from other Acura forums that the TSX is very comparable to A4 quattro and Legacy when it comes to handling in adverse conditions. Is this just wishful thinking or does it approach AWD?
NO!!! The TSX is not an AWD, and so does NOT have it's characteristics.

On slippery roads, the VSA will help greatly, but under perfect ice conditions, slick ice with a film of water over it, there's nothing that will prvent your car from going in the ditch if that's where it's headed. And I'm talking here of a stopped car sliding in the ditch because of the mere incline of the road. That is the worst conditions you can meet out there. STAY HOME!

For ther conditions, good winter tires and driving skills, as well as good common sense will do a lot more for you than any assist system like a VSA.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input. Luckily where I live, I deal with mainly wet roads that are in terrible shape (potholes, etc.), so the extreme conditions you are describing are not likley to occur. I do deal with gravel on roads and patches of black ice. I am concerned about the low profile tires on the 17in wheels when one hits a pothole and bends the rim.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Have camera, will travel

While agreeing with Sauceman's judicious advice, I will say that I've been pleasantly surprised by the TSX's performance in less-than-ideal conditions.

Living in Washington, I get plenty of practice with wet roads, and the car always has a very solid, planted feel to it. Even in snow. It's no SUV, but it's not trying to be. Let's be honest. NO car does well on icy roads. Ice represents the worst of all road conditions. Sauceman is right: when it's icy, stay home.

That said, I'd feel very comfortable slapping a ski rack on my TSX and heading to the mountains for some skiing.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:12 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Since the roads here were plagued by freezing rain/ice yesterday (rendering Portland, OR shutdown) I avoided driving until I was sure the temperature exceeded 32 degrees F. I didn't want to take the chance to test out the VSA.

I will, though, surmise that no system (including chains!) can tackle a road competely glazed with ice. After seeing videos of cars/buses with chains sliding off the road, like Sauceman said, staying home is best.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Racer

VSA Works pretty good in the icey conditions IMO.

Saw a nice bmw 330i slide down the hill in my neighborhood the other day. poor rear drivers.

Anyway, I would also have to say that the VSA does not work in deep snow.