FormulaOne Ting and Scratching

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FormulaOne Ting and Scratching

Hey guys, anyone here have FormulaOne window tinting, I'm looking to get the pinicle 35% all around for my NBP TSX.

My questions are.

1. Are you guys getting scratches, b/c the auth dealer in deleware doesn't use mole skin but says he hasnt had issues with scracthes.

2. Does Pinnicle (less reflective) look better or, Premire, which is slightly more reflective tint.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Instructor

I would stick with Pinnacle...less reflective on a NBP is better looking IMHO. BTW, how much are they charging for FormulaOne all around?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Instructor

$210 all around at any tint. And the price is the same for pinnicle, ultimate, and premire are all the same price. It's also $60 to remove the front tint and reapply for inspection later on. Is that the kind you have kammerz? Also do you know if FormulaOne warranties against scratches since they do say scratch resistant as one of their selling points?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by triton
$210 all around at any tint. And the price is the same for pinnicle, ultimate, and premire are all the same price. It's also $60 to remove the front tint and reapply for inspection later on. Is that the kind you have kammerz? Also do you know if FormulaOne warranties against scratches since they do say scratch resistant as one of their selling points?
Formula One doesn't warranty against scratches, but individual dealers might. I don't know of any film manufacturer that gives a manufacturer warranty on scratching. Too many dumb things you could do to scratch the tint.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Instructor

I'm alittle worried because the formula one dealer in delaware, which is the only one, doesn't put moleskin on, I forgot to ask if they warranty againts scratches. You think $210 is a good price without a felt liner?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Tuxedo Cat

I'm alittle worried because the formula one dealer in delaware, which is the only one, doesn't put moleskin on, I forgot to ask if they warranty againts scratches. You think $210 is a good price without a felt liner?
My FormulaOne dealer strongly recommended it. He also recommended the Pinnacle (ceramic) tint for at least the rear window, because I have navi and he has had some problems with the others. If I were to go metallic, he recommended the Ultimate series, which is metallic, but not as reflective and less prone to causing navi problems.

The price sounds pretty good for a moleskin-less installation.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Hey Venice, your FormulaOne Dealer stronly reccomended the Pinnacle, or getting the moleskin? Are you getting any scratches on yours?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Tuxedo Cat

Hey Venice, your FormulaOne Dealer stronly reccomended the Pinnacle, or getting the moleskin? Are you getting any scratches on yours?
Both. I have not gotten any scratches with the moleskin, despite living in a relatively dusty climate and moving the windows a lot.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

good price

$210 is a very good price! i have 05RL, and the tint place i went to charged me $330 for formula1 pinnacle 35%!! he didn't install moleskin on mine, said don't need to in RLs, so far so good. this was the same place i went to since 1996 for my other 2 cars, and they have lifetime warranty for scratch/peel/bubble/fade etc...
actually this guy did quite a crappy job on my car, i noticed some film residues, some bubbles, some scratches. i brought this to his attention and he said: well, there's no perfect tint job you know. and i said: well for the money i paid for, i expect a perfect tint on my car! i'm bringing it back tomorrow as he's gonna replace it.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Instructor

As long as your got the job done at an authorized FormulaOne place, they have to replace it if there are bubbles. $330 sounds like a rip off, probably a side effect of getting an RL because it's retail price is so much higher and he knows it. I'm going to call my Tinter today and ask him if he warranties against scratches.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:01 AM
tsxer

The tint is scratch "resistant" but not scratch "proof".
Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

I am the one who sells the Mole skin for the TL and TSX

It is the same product for the TSX but I don't have the instructions on how to take off the door panels.

Everything else will be the same though. I am still looking for a donor TSX so I can take pictures of the install.

Order below.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 15% Formula 1 Ceramic tint on my rear doors and rear windshield. After about 6 months I have some very minor scratches. They are very thin and not really noticeable, but you can see them if you look hard. I recommend getting the Mole skin.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flnsx

It is the same product for the TSX but I don't have the instructions on how to take off the door panels.

Everything else will be the same though. I am still looking for a donor TSX so I can take pictures of the install.

Order below.
Where are you located?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Luke 1:37

I just purchased the Anti Scratch Kit from flnsx. I will try to take pics of the install for people to work off of. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Florida I think.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Luke 1:37

One more thing about tint scratches. I am wondering if this could be all avoided if we didn't roll the windows down all the way. Since the rubber strips are so tight up against the windows the only way for dirt to really get trapped into the door panels and where the lower rubber strip is, is if you were to roll the windows down all the way and then there's an opening to the inside of the door panel. I'm thinking that this is the cause of the scratching because my front right window didn't have any scratches on it until today when I finally decided to roll it all the way down. When I rolled it back up, low and behold, there is a vertical scratch on the tint. I do remember that I didn't roll that window down all the way the last few times and it was only my front right window that I rolled it completely down.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moleskin shmoleskin! Waiste of money if you ask me. How about just cleaning the part that the dirt forms on. Moleskin just covers an exhisting problem. Fix the problem, don't cover it up. If your inside seals scratch your tint. Clean or replace the inside seals. What happens if dirst or something gets caught between the glass and the moleskin? Does the moleskin obsorbe the dirt?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CJams
Moleskin shmoleskin! Waiste of money if you ask me. How about just cleaning the part that the dirt forms on. Moleskin just covers an exhisting problem. Fix the problem, don't cover it up. If your inside seals scratch your tint. Clean or replace the inside seals. What happens if dirst or something gets caught between the glass and the moleskin? Does the moleskin obsorbe the dirt?
Not sure here, but I think its the plastic of the seal itself causeing the scratch, not the dirt on the seal.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:25 PM
TSX User

The guy who installed my tint noted that the inner rubber/plastic gasket is very hard and would most likely scratch the tint. Well, to my surprise he shaved the edges off. Zero chance of scratching but 100% chance of crap getting inside the door and not to mention more road noise.

CJams is correct in that moleskin will not prevent scratches IF enough crap has accumulated between the tint and moleskin. At least the $30 I sent flnsx will delay [as long as possible] the inevitable.

VBong, I thought you were going to order the moleskin when you got your tsx tinted?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CJams
I don't know if it absorbs dirt, but I know that on hot days the glue adheasive that binds the moleskin to the rubber can become dislodged from the door and leave a sticky mess. On this topic I guess you just have to choose your poison. BTW I have not had any scratches yet. Dealer told me that I wouldn't and I haven't.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShredder
I don't know if it absorbs dirt, but I know that on hot days the glue adheasive that binds the moleskin to the rubber can become dislodged from the door and leave a sticky mess. On this topic I guess you just have to choose your poison. BTW I have not had any scratches yet. Dealer told me that I wouldn't and I haven't.
Nightshredder,
Happen to know which brand your tint is?
I think you are on to something when he said your tint wuoldn't scratch.
Think you could call up the shop and ask them?

thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Nightshredder,
Happen to know which brand your tint is?
I think you are on to something when he said your tint wuoldn't scratch.
Think you could call up the shop and ask them?

thanks
I will have to call the dealer and see who they use to do the work. I will try to get to it sometime this week for you. Work is nuts right now so I can't promise, but there are still no scratches that I can see.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NightShredder
I am having this problem! I had the moleskin installed but the adhesive is coming off, if you roll down the window it leaves sticky streaks down the window. I am taking it back to my tint guy this weekend, he says they have a new technique for applying the moleskin that should solve this... Hopefully.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

I just got FormulaOne Pinnacle on my 06 TSX this past saturday. They insisted that I need to get moleskin in there, and they took all the door panels off, and put the moleskin/felt on all four doors (hopefully they put the panels back on correctly, can't really tell by just looking at it).

They gave me a lifetime warranty card, which will be honored at any authorized FormulaOne dealer/installer. And my understanding was this covers the installation, meaning moleskin/felt, which is suppose to prevent the tint scratching. If it scratches, they haven't installed it correctly, and should cover under warranty. At least I think this is the case, since they said no warranty if I don't let them put the felt on there, since I was little worried about them taking off the door panels. They said they have to do this to all recent Honda/Acura and Mercedes, etc. They said at least they don't just cut off the plastic part, which will result in a gap and more road noise like some other tint shops do without even telling the customers.

Now, since I got it on saturday, I havne't rolled down my windows yet. They told me not to for 48 hours. 2 days seems a little short to me, cause I've heard from random people as much as 10 or 2 weeks without rolling down the windows. Is 48 hours normal for pinnacles?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bry2001us
I am having this problem! I had the moleskin installed but the adhesive is coming off, if you roll down the window it leaves sticky streaks down the window. I am taking it back to my tint guy this weekend, he says they have a new technique for applying the moleskin that should solve this... Hopefully.
Dang... this is why i'm so scared to use the moleskin. I dont want to risk scratchy tint, but i've read numerous places that the adhesive is next to impossible to clean up.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:13 PM
TSX

we got spay and now ting?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:25 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flnsx
Wow, your kit costs $30. I'm glad I bought my moleskin a couple years because it only cost me $3 back then!