Ford Fusion ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Fusion ???

Didn't think I'd say this but a surprisingly decent looking car from ford. Carpoint calls interior audi-style, which is quite a complment I think.

Fuel economy not far off the TSX but you get 221/205 hp/lbs-ft 6SPD auto

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fusion/?bannerid=233434|12010879|23213661

Flame Away !
Old 11-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

Its a Ford
Old 11-11-2005, 07:00 PM
6MT or Death

With a grill only a mother could love.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Just playing devils advocate ... it looks nicer than the Volvo S40/SAAB options IMHO.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:12 PM
無限 本田 CL9

take away the grille, and the front (especially the headlights) kinda reminds me of a '97 prelude
Old 11-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=ford+fusion

you're right. it doesn't look that bad at all. i'll need to take a look at it live...
Old 11-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Its a Ford
On that note, ford has many vehicles in best quality category.

On another note, it's one of the ugliest cars i've seen
Old 11-11-2005, 08:38 PM
TSX4EVR

I don't hate Ford, but I'm not feeling the look of the Fusion either.

Excited
Old 11-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Advanced

I have said it before and I will say it again, I really hope the Fusion brings some success to Ford, however you have to wonder if the Fusion will suffer the same fate as the LS did and die a slow painful death in the targeted marketed segment. The 500 has not exactly been lighting up the sales charts either.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by polytsx
I have said it before and I will say it again, I really hope the Fusion brings some success to Ford, however you have to wonder if the Fusion will suffer the same fate as the LS did and die a slow painful death in the targeted marketed segment. The 500 has not exactly been lighting up the sales charts either.
How is this sucker supposed to drive? Looks are one thing, but the big threes problem, IMO, is driveability, outside of the 'Vette, Viper and maybe the Solstice, that is.

They don't seem to make anything that can touch something like a TSX in all around performance/amenities, at that price point.

Jeez, they're bound to hit one out of the park eventually.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

your right, but having such a bias pov for american made cars is ignorance. I can name a at least 2 american brand manufactuers that have surpassed acura in the quality/reliability issue
Old 11-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it's a great looking car, but still not as nice as a Honda. Both Car and Driver and Motor Trend did a family sedan comparo this month and the Accord got 1st place in both.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Racer

i think its a pretty nice looking and decent car.

its no tsx, but i'm sure its cheaper too.

i'd probably (well i did) go with the tsx. ford's resale values and such arent very good, the "its a ford" and its a first year car factor etc.

from what i've read the v6 one is about as quick as a tsx in 60 , 1/4 etc. and its based on a mazda6.

even though everyone is hyping up the hyundai sonata v6 in this segment, i think the fusion is at least better than that ugly thing.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:51 AM
無限 本田 CL9

if it really comes down to a choice between american engineering and korean engineering (the sonata as mentioned above) i'll take the american
Old 11-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well my family owns 2 fords and they are.. PIECE OF SHIT

I'm not sure about the reliabilities of new models that's coming out but i sure woudln't buy any of fords..

btw, that car does look better than any other sedans ford ever produced
Old 11-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by evo_to_tsx
if it really comes down to a choice between american engineering and korean engineering (the sonata as mentioned above) i'll take the american

well the fusion is based on the mazda6 so i guess you get some japanese engineering too.

apparently fusion is still cheaper than a sonata comparably equipped anyways. i definitely think it looks more exciting and more contemporary. i suppose the main tradeoff is giving up 1 gear for some hp.

my friend dad works for a ford parts supplier and all their cars are fords (well his mom drives a 2002 TL). his father works in sales, drives like 60k miles a year in a taurus (his work paid for it), and well his car is in the shop right now, but i guess he's put over 120k miles on it in 2 years without incident. my friend drives a more normal 10k a or so miles a year in his 97 v6 mustang and well sure the interior is crap, and it isnt exactly the best handling, but he's had no reliability problems. they have an explorer too and it seems to be ok as well.

then again my other friend had a 92 tbird, and after having that he said he'd never buy an american car ever again.

so maybe ford has been getting better as of late. that 92 tbird sucked. but then again it was from a different time period than current fords.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Banned

Over here in WA, there is this guy that owns a Kia/Hyundai dealer that sells car WAY WAY below MSRP. You can get a new Sonata, fully loaded for 13K
Old 11-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I don't think that we should just write off the Fusion. It's supposed to be really great to drive, though slightly underpowered (doesn't that sound familiar to us TSX owners!? LOL). Also, the interior is supposed to be surprisingly nice too. OK, so the grill is ugly, but then the rest of it is pretty nice - the side profile reminds me of a Volvo S60 and the rear is nice. You can get one with a V6 fully loaded in the low/mid 20's so it does have a price point advantage against the other Japanese competitors. Let's hope that it will bring some success to Ford.

Oh, BTW, it has a pretty aggressive TV ad campaign, targeting different segments of the population, which I think is pretty smart.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by slats
I think it's a great looking car, but still not as nice as a Honda. Both Car and Driver and Motor Trend did a family sedan comparo this month and the Accord got 1st place in both.
Unfortunately, magazine review are often jokes. Nothing bad against the Accord, but it's a pretty safe thing for an editor to give top prize to the Accord, isn't it? That speaks well of the Accord's reputation, but it's lazy on the part of the magazines to think that nothing else is as good. Same goes for the BMW 3 series domination of magazine reviews - who's going to complain against an article that says they're the best - even if they might not be anymore?

Last year C&D did a comparo of GTO and Mustang. GTO beat it in every category. Hands down. So they made up a new category called the "gotta have it factor," and gave the Mustang just enough points there to make up the deficit so that it looked like the Mustang was the superior car. It was the most obviously biased article I've ever seen. Why do that? Because there are a ton of Mustang fanboys who want to buy magazines that say their car is best. And because there was probably money under the table as well.

So I take magazine reviews/comparisons with a BIG grain of salt.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Beoshingus

Last year C&D did a comparo of GTO and Mustang. GTO beat it in every category. Hands down. So they made up a new category called the "gotta have it factor," and gave the Mustang just enough points there to make up the deficit so that it looked like the Mustang was the superior car. It was the most obviously biased article I've ever seen. Why do that? Because there are a ton of Mustang fanboys who want to buy magazines that say their car is best. And because there was probably money under the table as well.

I recall reading that exact same article and was rather surprised that the Mustang came out on top given the GTO scored better in most other areas. I could have understood the rankings better had they been based on price, however that did not seem to be the case. Maybe the author had as much sympathy for Ford's future as I do (kidding) they need a few "hits".
Old 11-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LalchandYamlajat
Its a Ford
exactly
Old 11-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LalchandYamlajat
Its a Ford
More like "rebadged Mazda 6".
Old 11-12-2005, 09:59 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I was very excited to see this car, then I got my newest issue of C&D and the Fusion has all the same let down issues of my current Ford Five-Hundred SE 6spd. (company car.)

Cheap build and an Aisin built tranny with a mind of it's own, and a Nascar style hood (you need to drive one to understand.)

Bottom line, an Accord is still a better value for the $$ or even a Mazda for that matter.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Pink as a pistol

That thing fell off an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down... Interior looks kinda cool though...
Old 11-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hondan53
That thing fell off an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down... Interior looks kinda cool though...
To each their own. I think the exterior looks pretty sharp. Rear light treatment could be better but the rest of the design looks like a hit.

I love my 05 TSX/Auto/Nav but I'm still shocked at how much it acually cost me OTD with Acura Canada pricing.

The handling dynamics will on this Fusion will probably be less, but the power is more with regular gas req. too. (half the posts on this board are clamoring for a never happen V6 in the TSX).

Just looked like an option for those looking for TSX like size/characteristics at a much lower price point.

Maybe the 6speed auto will be imperfect, etc. but for the money so-what ? From the picture The engine has a VVT system that looks awfully like VTEC and a composite manifold that I thought was interesting.

Competition is good. Hope this car and the Pontiac Solstice are both big hits.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:00 AM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Originally Posted by waTSX
How is this sucker supposed to drive? Looks are one thing, but the big threes problem, IMO, is driveability, outside of the 'Vette, Viper and maybe the Solstice, that is.

They don't seem to make anything that can touch something like a TSX in all around performance/amenities, at that price point.
Woefully uninformed. Me hopes you don't go driving around and run up against a Contour SVT or even a 1995-1996 Contour SE, because you and your TSX will have d**k handed to you on a platter. By a cheaper car.

I had a 1996 Contour SE, V6, "only" 170 HP, but also only about 2840 lbs. Dynamically, it would outperform the TSX, especially when it came to corners, where the TSX (like my TSX) shows its true blubbery self. You can't hide excess weight.

If one says "Driveability", and thinks that the TSX is superior to pretty much all that comes from Detroit, you got your head in a basket.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my TSX. But I also try to stay in touch with reality.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:16 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by Hondan53
Oh you must be talking about the Accord sedan then, right?

Or the last gen Civic? Or a Honda Element?

The Fusion looks good to me.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by crfortin
Just playing devils advocate ... it looks nicer than the Volvo S40/SAAB options IMHO.
The new S40 and 93's are beautiful cars that look ORIGINAL. IMHO this car looks like a Civic was crossed with a CTS and G35

Originally Posted by MrChad

Those are all ugly cars too, but so is the ford fusion
Old 11-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by evo_to_tsx
I love everything Cadillac has been doing with their cars. Out side of that the new C6 and last SVT Cobra is what I tip my hat for.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Pink as a pistol

Originally Posted by MrChad

IMO, Accord Sedan and honda element are ugly, last gen civic is so-so. The fusion looks ffffugly to me, but that is only my perception, so please don't take offense.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:58 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

I like the look of the Fusion too. The biggest knock on it, beyond being a Ford, is the boring automatic shifter, without even a sport-mode.

It would be a good rental car, but I wouldn't buy it.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nagidizy
Woefully uninformed. Me hopes you don't go driving around and run up against a Contour SVT or even a 1995-1996 Contour SE, because you and your TSX will have d**k handed to you on a platter. By a cheaper car.

I had a 1996 Contour SE, V6, "only" 170 HP, but also only about 2840 lbs. Dynamically, it would outperform the TSX, especially when it came to corners, where the TSX (like my TSX) shows its true blubbery self. You can't hide excess weight.

If one says "Driveability", and thinks that the TSX is superior to pretty much all that comes from Detroit, you got your head in a basket.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my TSX. But I also try to stay in touch with reality.
ford mondeo's?

i think they were in the british touring car championship awhile ago.

they were really competitive, from what i remember. but, i think the audi a4's dominated those races at that time...
Old 11-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Count Blah
I like the look of the Fusion too. The biggest knock on it, beyond being a Ford, is the boring automatic shifter, without even a sport-mode.

It would be a good rental car, but I wouldn't buy it.
should have a sportshift, no argument there, trying to sell a sedan with "sporty?" aspirations with a 6 speed auto but don't provide any option for playing with all those gears.

What's the marketing tagline on that "Now even mushier !"

Audi has the same problem with selling their chain-driven CVT transmission. It's too smooth.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It took the front of an Infiniti G35 and the back of an 96 Accord.....not a very good combination in my mind.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:48 AM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
ford mondeo's?

they were really competitive, from what i remember. but, i think the audi a4's dominated those races at that time...
Yup, the Mondeo 'over there' and the Contour here. Developmental work on suspension/chassis by Jackie Stewart, engine work by Porsche and Cosworth, if I remember correctly. It showed. Can't speak for Audi A4s in the BTCC, but can speak for not fearing any standard A4 here when at the helm of the Contour.

A wonderful auditory experience when (windows down) the secondary intake runners opened up around 3800-3900 rpm ...
Old 11-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
ford mondeo's?

the better mondeo is the 2nd gen one that is out in europe. its the jaguar x-type here i believe (though i think all xtypes have awd, and the mondeos dont).

its not really fair to compare a svt contour from 1995 with the now heavier by 400 pounds tsx. the tsx for one thing is probably heavier because it probably has bigger rims, more airbags, and luxury equipment. i'd assume if you did not have power seats, a sunroof, nav systems, side airbags and such, it would be close. but yeah the v6 contours/mercury mondeos were nice cars (though sadly america hated them) , a friend of mine had one after he crashed his SHO and he loved it (it was also really cheap). in this day of smallerish cars, i think the contour could actually be decent as a car in between the fusion and the focus. they could just bring the ford mondeo over here directly.