First evidence of the "rattle of death" being fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:06 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First evidence of the "rattle of death" being fixed?

The rattle of death ....you know the rattle I mean...the one that has plagued 2/3 of us. Pass. door panels vibrate during loud music. Untill now our only escape has been lowering the bass, or cracking the windows down. But wait ... it seems we may have the first post of someone actually getting this fixed!

Here is the quote...
Originally posted by darth62
Sorry about that link guys, but IDX has posted it correctly.

As for me, when I turned the steoro up with bass heavy music, the whole door would seem to vibrate. Otherwise, it didn't rattle at all. The problem was only on the pass side, and I heard nothing from the locks.

The dealer took the door apart and said that some panel had not been adjusted tighly enough so that it was vibrating against the window.

I know that isn't very specific, and I apologize. But, the main point was that it was able to be fixed fairly easily. Now, I don't have any issues with regard to rattles in the door.

Now something I want to add....

darth..you've got to really test this out before we jump to conclusions. Play a song that usually rattled every time..and play it real loud. Crank up that bass and make sure you dont fade to the rear speakers. Lets be 100% sure that the problem is gone. The reason I say this is because I had my entire pass door gutted and the entire panel replaced only to have the exact same rattles. When I got the car back, all the guy did was change my audio settings to fade towards the back and lower the bass.

Assuming the fix can withstand your punshing test...this is very encouraging news. Maybe we can even get more details and pass them on to other dealers because from what I know....no dealer has been able to fix this rattle.

Now if only we can get some similar success with the door lock buzzing ....
Old 09-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep us posted....could this be another example of the tsx build tolerances being too tight(similar to the moonroof problem) causing vibration?
Old 09-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll try it out systematically. If it works, maybe I can post the dealer's contact information here and you guys could call and see what they did.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:57 PM
ySL
Advanced

don't you guys have rattles when your'e not playing any music, when just cruising around? i thought that's why it was so annoying...

I acutally play my music loud to silence those stupid rattles.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:42 AM
Possessed with my Schemes

I'm with you ySL. My driver door has something that rattles most of the time, sounds like the window but I can still hear it when I press firmly on the window. Not sure what it is, but believe me they will hear about it when I bring it in for 5k mile service.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:12 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Guys,,,yes there are definately other rattles. I also have the drivers side rattle I believe you are talking about.

But the rattle we are talking about here is specifically the pass door rattle/vibration that comes from bass when playing music. Alot of people have this problem and hopefully we are closer to a solution that will work for all of us.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:33 AM
Not an Ashtray

I'm really surprised that some many of you have rattle issues. My car has been completely rattle free, except that annoying bass problem and then the sunroof issue.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:53 AM
Racer

and then the sunroof issue
Oh, no...don't even tell me that the TSX has an issue also? One of the things that annoyed the crap out of me with my CL-S was the rattle when the sunroof was closed but the sunshade was open. The dealer could never fix it and stated that it was a problem with the '01 CL's.

I suppose Acura got it right by now.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:52 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 93Kewl
Oh, no...don't even tell me that the TSX has an issue also? One of the things that annoyed the crap out of me with my CL-S was the rattle when the sunroof was closed but the sunshade was open. The dealer could never fix it and stated that it was a problem with the '01 CL's.

I'm not sure if its the same problem, but it seems the particular sunroof issue with the TSX is easily fixed.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Not an Ashtray

So, I got up this morning and played with the stereo. I had it set some there was sound coming only from the speaker in the passenger door.

Zero rattles. I did hear a bit of a vibration on one song, but that was a pretty extreme situation. Otherwise, nothing. No vibrations, no rattles, no squeaks.

I have no idea what the dealer did, but he specifically said that the earlier problems were caused by a panel inside the door vibrating against the window.

To be truthful, I never had this problem to the same degree as everybody else. But, FDL, if you would like, PM me and I'll send you my non-cyber name and my dealer's name. You can call him and ask what he did to my car. That particularly dealer is really on the ball anyway.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Inspired

Originally posted by 93Kewl

My '97 TL has a shade rattle over bad pavement, its otherwise fine. I guess its a sunroof shade issue throughout the lineup.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:24 AM
Intermediate

Hey FDL, Darth have you guys gotten together on this and asked the dealer if it was a stroke of genius shown to him in a dream or what? Pannel inside the door was hitting the window. This sounds really easy to fix but im not a mechanic. Just wanted you to keep us posted, im sure you on it. thx guys.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:04 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

I just played the "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack CD in my TSX, and even at moderate volume levels (~12-15) the door panels vibrate and rattle like crazy on some tracks.

I then played the CD in my 93 Accord coupe (with stock speakers and a basic aftermarket head unit) and I heard no such rattles.

The TSX is going in soon to get a new armrest center console latch, and I'll have them address this rattle issue (which I've been willing to ignore until now) as well. It's pretty bad.

PS. Darth- my sunroof is "creaking" again. Time for another application of silicone spray.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Not an Ashtray

I still have got my TSX sunroof to fully stop creaking, but I'm going to try again this weekend.

As for the door panel rattle, it is definitely gone in my car. I tried playing some bass heavy music, with the balance and fade set so that it was only coming out of the pass door. No rattle at all. I've done this a few times since the dealer worked on my car, and have not heard a single buzz or rattle.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:38 AM
Racer

I mostly get it when playing music, from the driver's side door. It goes away if the window is down even a hair (even if you can't even see that it's down at all).