First day checkout: Homelink...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First day checkout: Homelink...?

Question: does the homelink clearing process work the way the manual says it does?

I tried to program mine but couldn't get it to work. I press the two outside buttons as instructed but instead of the red light flashing it just stays lit indefinitely. Ditto when I try to program it; it just stays lit...

I doubt it'll work with my (very old) garage door opener but sooner or later I'll end up with a newer one and I'd like to know that the homelink unit itself is good.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SSM-Ebony-AT-NoNavi
Ordered 6/21
Delivery 7/21
Old 07-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Racer

yes, homelink is cleared if you press the two outer buttons for 20 seconds.

here is a previous thread about how to program homelink. i gave a very detailed step-by-step instructions.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...light=homelink

if you don't want to go to that thread for more info, here are the instructions:

directions w/o rolling code:
1. press and hold buttons 1 and 3 (two outside buttons) for 20 seconds. it'll blink rapidly after 20 seconds. this clears previous codes installed on the homelink.
2. have your remote on hand and press and hold the remote button and the homelink button at the same time. after holding for a few seconds, the red light of homelink should blink differently. let go of both buttons. repeat if necessary.
3. test homelink buttons... if it works, you're set. if it doesn't, you have a rolling code.

directions w/ rolling code:
1. do all the steps in "directions w/o rolling code" first. the code must be registered into homelink first.
2. have someone help you. have one person stand on a ladder under the garage door motor and the other person sits in the car.
3. the person under the garage door motor presses a red button that sends out signals (all garage door motors are different... i'm assuming the button is red). you have 30 seconds after the person pushes the red button.
4. the person in the car presses and holds the homelink button that refers to that garage door. the red light should stay on w/o flashing and hold for a few seconds until it flashes. once it flashes, it should be programed to work.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ebcheon
1. press and hold buttons 1 and 3 (two outside buttons) for 20 seconds. it'll blink rapidly after 20 seconds. this clears previous codes installed on the homelink.
Straight from the manual, thanks.
But what I need to know is if it really *does* blink after 20 seconds because mine isn't.
No blinks, no flashing; just a steady red light...

That's why I was asking if anybody had actually seen it work that way. (To know if the homelink is bad in and of itself).

I guess I didn't phrase it correctly.
Sorry.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do not have your car turned on. Clear it without the key in the ignition. I had the same trouble.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Are you sure you're holding for 20 seconds? 20 seconds is a long time. Mine worked. Make sure the engine's off, though. As long as your garage opener is not old enough to work with an antenna (homelink is IR), it should be ok.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:26 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not neccesarily the garage door opener that matters, its the receiver unit. In my case its made by a completely diff company than the actualy garage door opener. Its quite old, but apparently its compatible with homelink. Have been working with the maker of the receiver, garage door opener, and homelink to get it to work but no luck so far
Old 07-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Are you sure you're holding for 20 seconds? 20 seconds is a long time. Mine worked. Make sure the engine's off, though. As long as your garage opener is not old enough to work with an antenna (homelink is IR), it should be ok.
Incorrect the homelink is not IR it is RF

IR=Infrared = invisible light
RF=Radio Frequency

IR does not go thru walls, or doors, your garage door opener is not IR it is RF
Old 07-24-2003, 04:56 AM
Racer

Originally posted by bheywow
Incorrect the homelink is not IR it is RF

IR=Infrared = invisible light
RF=Radio Frequency

IR does not go thru walls, or doors, your garage door opener is not IR it is RF
And IR doesn't go far distances either
Old 07-24-2003, 05:55 AM
wiz
Pro

Yes, mine works for the gate at my apartment complex. I have seen it work, and have cleared it myself once. My salesman showed me how it worked though and actually set it for me the first time.

I have my friends garage door set on one of the buttons too...hehe
Old 07-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Update.
Thanks, guys; it does work.
But twenty seconds is not it; more like a minute before I got the thing to blink.
I almost got a cramp in my hand.
The car was running so I don't know if it needs the key in the ignition to accept the clear command but it did like my remote so I'm in business on that end.
So far, no major flaws have leapt up at me; just two plastic covers that were loose but snapped right into place with a touch.

Well, gotta get back to the break-in routine if I want to be able to pull off a road trip in the next week or two...

L'il Silver is just begging for a shot at the interstate...