Febuary 2006 Car & Driver Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 03:44 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ellswrth
. . . It's just interesting that in the purely subjective seat of the pants what the driver feels comparison that is the "10 Best Cars" the TSX was picked and the Jetta didn't make the cut. But when the numbers came into it for calculating the points, the Jetta went ahead. . .
That was the same dichotomy that I noticed. People get hung up on numbers because, esp. on a forum, they're objective things to argue over. All the cars get driven on paper. "This one goes 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, that one in 7.2, so this one is 10% more fun than that one." Etc.

My dad drives my TSX whenever I'm visiting and we take my car somewhere. He owns an RSX (stiffer and lighter and more "sporty" feeling) and a TL (quicker-accelerating and more luxurious feeling). But, every time he drives my TSX, he comments on how he wishes that's what he had had bought. He can't believe its precision as a four-door sedan, in it's power as a velvety and fun-to-rev four-cyl, its comfort as a relatively small car, and just how fun it is to drive -- even with my mother in the back seat. But if he had to drag race my mom's TL, or chase the RSX through a slalom, and give those results equal weight, then he'd have to report that the TSX was middling.

For people who want a sport sedan and don't have more than $30k, that balance of attributes is the whole enchilada. Of course you can buy a faster car, or a sharper-handling, or more lux, or more whatever car. You just can't buy four-door sedan that, in those rare moments when you're not driving it with timing equipment attached or on a dynamometer, is more pure fun.

Also, just as an aside, horsepower = torque * rpm / 5252, not 5500.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:58 AM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didn't read all the pages, but seeing the se-r vs tsx review i was .......i UPGRADED from a b15 spec v, 2003..... there are a few similarities, stock for stock the spec did seam to be faster, but not my much, maybe .2-.3 sec faster in the 0-60..... handeling, well i would say spec, but my ass hurt after 30 min of driving in chicago's pothole heaven streets..... while the tsx even with the eibach prokit, comptech RSB 17" rotas and summer tires, never felt harsh, just sporty, while the spec seemed harsh ride.

now the 2.5 from the sentra did have low end torque, but gave up high rpm power, i would short shift it, there was no power after 5500 and remember 6250 was redline/fuel cutoff, and redline at 6250 meant you never felt like it had a chance to let loose as you would need to shift right away.... some members on here got 15.3-15.4 1/4 mile time on a BONE STOCK, michelin tires, while i got 15.1 with the before mentioned mods and hondata and injen cai. so c&d reviews are helpful, driving the car you see differences they could not transfer on paper as its in reality, i never once regreted the switch from the spec to the tsx, cause it was in a class far superior then the spec, and that was the b15, which btw the motor sucked, couldn't handel lot more power then stock, when turbos were in prototype phase 2 seperate companies (the only 2 that tried) blew motors, one company blew 2 motors..... the rods were too thin. and my tsx raced a 04 spec with i/rh/r/mm and i took him by 1/2 a car..... with hondta and injen cai, and better tires....
Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Drifting

i give c&d a big for this one.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waTSX
^^Your epinions review is very good, mkaresh
Thanks. I really wanted to like the Accord. After all, I've been asking why they don't offer a 6-speed in the V6 sedan for years. (For reasons beyond my comprehension, manufacturers still only grudgingly off sport sedans.) But sometimes you get what you ask for but it's not what you thought it would be. And then you just look silly.

As I believe is mentioned in the review, I drove the new Civic right after driving the '06 sedan, and had considerably more fun. I'm a sucker for quick, precise steering and an agile chassis. And the Accord just doesn't have them.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Thanks. I really wanted to like the Accord. After all, I've been asking why they don't offer a 6-speed in the V6 sedan for years. (For reasons beyond my comprehension, manufacturers still only grudgingly off sport sedans.) But sometimes you get what you ask for but it's not what you thought it would be. And then you just look silly.

As I believe is mentioned in the review, I drove the new Civic right after driving the '06 sedan, and had considerably more fun. I'm a sucker for quick, precise steering and an agile chassis. And the Accord just doesn't have them.
Perhaps you'll be able to convince some individuals who frequent this site of that fact. A few people around here will argue until they are blue in the face that the Accord does have those qualities, and that the TSX and Accord are really the same car in different sheet metal.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:49 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Here is the text of the letter I just sent to C/D, about my biggest pet peeve in their (and other car magazines) comparison test.

I am an Acura TSX owner, but I'm not writing in to complain about the results of your comparo. The TSX got a measely 5-hp bump this year, that's not going to cut it, Acura. The car needs another 15 or 20 horses, with a corresponding bump in torque, to get back on top. My issue with the comparion test is that whenever you guys test an Acura/Honda, especially in a comparo, the car is invariably equipped with the $2000 navigation system. I know you can't control which cars you are given, but the Hondas are unfairly penalized on price, without a corresponding upgrade somewhere else. The "features/amenities" doesn't count, since the Jetta (I assume without navigation, you didn't say either way in the article) got the same score as the nav-equipped Accord. Had the Honda vehicles not had the nav, they would have gone from the two most expensive vehicles in the test, to being right in the middle of the pack. Navigation is a very specific option that adds a lot for some owners (myself among them) but none to others, and therefore in comparisons tests such as yours, there should be some kind of consideration given to the extreme price boost. It probably wouldn't have changed the test's outcome, but it would have given a more accurate depiction of the cars.

Christopher Stack
Gales Ferry, CT

It pisses me off so much when they test any Acura/Honda with a Nav against other cars without nav, and don't even mention it in the test. You can't add $2k of potentially irrelevant crap to a car (I love my nav, but in a sports sedan test it adds NOTHING to the car except price) and then compare it to the others.
So they printed my letter, it was the first one in the Letters section this month. Problem was, they took out the bolded line, and then responded that the features and amentities category compensated! I mentioned that already, guys! Oh well. I'm famous now.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it just me? Or is .80g for the skidpad kinda low? I thought it was more like mid to high 0.8xg or something?
Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I have seen skidpad numbers that have varied from 0.78 to 0.88 depending on the test and the magazine. Dunno who is right though.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:18 PM
TSX Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I have seen skidpad numbers that have varied from 0.78 to 0.88 depending on the test and the magazine. Dunno who is right though.
0.80g is considered high thanks to the OEM Michelin tires.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Cruisin'

0-60 times are sooo over used. I can guarantee you that if they had 5 drivers run 5 different 0-60 test, you'd probably get times ranging from 7.0-8.2. Shifting, take-off, etc., will always be the most important factor in the best acceleration times. That is what drag racing is all about.

Me tired of "underpowered" comments. I am so very thrilled with the way my TSX drives. The handling and navigating traffic with a bit of a smaller car is much more important than 0-60 time. The acceleration exceeds probably 80% of the autos on the market. It might not be the tops in the sports car market, but geez, if Honda wanted it to be, it would be.

Who is able to get to 60 mph in 7 seconds in their normal driving anyway? Everytime I floor my car, I imagine the gas gauge falling like an old 5.0 mustang. I feel guilty driving like a maniac all the time.

On C&D's article, what's up with the rating of the TSX acceleration at 12 out of 20. That looks like Corolla or Civic ratings. The rest of the pack is in the 16-20 range and they are just a blink of an eye faster. With the 12, I would have assumed the TSX time was 8.5-9.5 seconds, not 7.2.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:10 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TeeSecks
On C&D's article, what's up with the rating of the TSX acceleration at 12 out of 20. That looks like Corolla or Civic ratings. The rest of the pack is in the 16-20 range and they are just a blink of an eye faster. With the 12, I would have assumed the TSX time was 8.5-9.5 seconds, not 7.2.
C/D does the accelerating rating by making the best time a 20/20, and then just mathematically rating the rest, percentage wise. Really nothing they can do about where a car falls on that scale, it's entirely objective.