FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:15 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked all the spark plugs and they are ok. I know its not a battery issue bc the headlights are still able to turn on, and all other lights are normal. One thing I did notice was that when the headlights were on, and I tried to start the engine, the lights dimmed to almost nothing.

From all the web pages I have read, I am suspecting it is either the starter, spark plug or some sort of anti theft mechanism kicking in. How can you eliminate these choices to find the root problem?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you try to start the car, does it turn over or not? Do you hear a clicking? Does it go silent?

I think its your battery. Just because it can run the lights and accessories doesn't mean it can start the car. Provide the answer to the above questions and people can help you more. I think you're still confusing spark plugs with fuses, and if you're not, then you're checking the wrong things. (There are only 4 spark plugs, there are many, many fuses).

Originally Posted by notoriousflc
I did notice was that when the headlights were on, and I tried to start the engine, the lights dimmed to almost nothing.
This also makes it sound like the battery. The oem battery is crap, you shouldn't rule it out yet.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:26 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 tsxs.. have it stock.. isnt there anyway to convert?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 AM
6th Gear

You may be right. I disconnected the battery and cleaned the connections. They were all pretty clean to begin with but I cleaned anyways. After putting the battery connections back on, the car headlights wont turn on now. Everything inside is still ok.

I was reading the manual and came upon the immobilizer feature. Do you think this might be a cause. The car is not even cranking. Its just giving me clicking sounds.

This may sound off but I actually am starting to love working on my car. It has always been a resolution of mine to know more and be able to fix my own car. I guess this is giving me the opportunity...with your guy's help that is. Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
6th Gear

I tested the car battery with it off and got a reading of 12.27V. I know that it is approx. 50% charge. Does this indicate a battery problem?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Your immobilizer has nothing to do with this, I promise. Unfortunatly, its your battery. A cold voltage read is NOT a reliable battery indicator.

Also, stop futzing with your headlights on a bad battery. If you blow the inverters / bulbs, that's a $400 problem, much worse than just a dead battery. HIDs are expensive!

Have you really been without your car for days now? Get a jump start already, its probably all you need. If after jumping, if you still are having problems starting from cold, its time for a new battery. Just get one from your favorite auto parts store, don't get another OEM battery.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

thanks a lot for this helpful thread which really inspired me to get this nice integration. However, I checked out the logjam website for this product and noticed it does not support 2007 TSX which I will be getting this week. Is there an alternative product or solution? How about the product from Neocar system?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

What you want is the USA SPEC PA11-HON2Y, its a newer model (note: this thread started in 2003), has more features, and costs less. Check out threads on it in our A/V forum.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 PM
6th Gear

The car is ok now. I called AAA and had them look at my car. It tuns out it was just be the battery!! I was relieved but felt pretty stupid. The guy told me it was a combination of the cold weather lately, and the fact that my jumper cables were crap. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it. I heard a buzzing when I first start my car from the speakers but it goes away once I plug in the ipod. Seriously, thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 AM
2007 TSX

Originally Posted by superJess
Here are the pictures I took when I installed the Neo iOn in my 2005 non-nav TSX:

http://home.fuse.net/jessica/ipod.html

I'm still looking for a good mount to use for my iPod. I'd like to mount it where I can see the display while driving. If anyone has good suggestions for that, let me know.
I can't figure out how to edit my old post (I must be slow today). My webpage of pictures has moved, but I still have it up. Here's the new link:

http://www.tangledupsidedown.com/ipod.html

It was still getting a lot of hits, so I left it up.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:32 AM
Intermediate

I can't figure out how to edit my old post (I must be slow today). My webpage of pictures has moved, but I still have it up. Here's the new link:

Is this also true for a 2004 TSX?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Users have only 5 minutes to edit posts. I edited it for you.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:46 AM
2007 TSX

Originally Posted by chicadorada
I really couldn't say. I'm pretty sure the 2004 and 2005 are similar or the same, but I don't know for sure.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:46 AM
2007 TSX

Originally Posted by jlukja
Users have only 5 minutes to edit posts. I edited it for you.
Thank you! I don't feel quite as stupid now.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Racer

I'd just like to say that the first page of this thread made my XM upgrade with the SNHOND3 an absolute breeze. Just as always, these forums have been my guiding savior to maintaining/upgrading my trouble-plagued '04 TSX.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
Roger...haven't posted in awhile...turned into a lurker, but I have the whine fix for you...took me months to figure out. I have the Commander too and here's the trick:

Make sure you do get a GLI, but also make sure you place none of the wires, the main unit, or the GLI unit near the ECU. I have mine in the trunk with the wires going under the rear seats, under the center console and straight to the commander in the "Not an Ashtray" spot.

The ECU puts out a crazy amount of EMI and I can't find one cable, not ever Monster, that will block it. You just have to keep everything away from it.

One other thing to check is to make sure your ground is a good one. Just test around with different places until you find a good one.

Now I only have whine at around volume level 35 with a talk station. You can't hear it below that or on any music station. Unfortunetaly I think it's the best you can do.
btw, the GLI fixed the problem like you said.

Alright so 1 more question, which i know has been asked before. But is there anyway to boost the Aux input OR xm commander sound levels? Its considerably lower than cd sound levels. I am even considering going to the FM mod to see if the sound level will be normal, but dont want to give up the direct input. Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

Originally Posted by chicadorada
yep, I just installed the Neo ProLink v2 on my 2004 non-navi. I still have some cosmetic work to do this weekend. The wife was asleep so I couldn't find a compact and used a CD as a mirror.

How significant of a difference is there in the track change delay when you run it in 'Direct Mode'? I know you lose the ability to use playlists but the delay seems about a second or longer in 'Advanced Mode'.

Thanks for the help guys & hopefully my pull into the upper tray of the armrest turns out alright.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Great forum here. I can't resist posting my related but slightly off topic question; I hope everyone understands I'm trying to find out if anyone else has similiar problems..

I have an Accord ex w/nav 4cly and the audio has failed. I think it's in the head unit; just wondering if anyone knows of a cronic problem with these nav head units and the preamp section, or knows of the repair proceedure.

The audio does not work for any source: nav, cd, radio, nothing. Yet, all sources seem to work correctly; I have NO DISPLAY PROBLEMS, and cd changer works, radio is working, tuning, etc. But no audio. Except, when I turn on the stereo power button, I hear a small pop that tells me the power amp is coming on and working correctly. That means preamp is out I guess... and I have tried the fader; it's not just one channel out; the whole thing is gone.

It's out of warrenty and I have a feeling Honda won't cover it; so I'm trying to route around them if possible; they might agree to fix but the diagnosis costs more than the mods to fix up an MP3 player, etc.. just seems like such a ripoff, to tell me, yes your head needs to be replaced, $135 diagnois; want a new radio?, $1000 please. And then if Honda won't cover the work, only the parts, I'm hosed out of the diagnostic fees, cause I won't pay for the replacement myself.

Any pointers or related experience, links appreciated.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

I've tried to search for the old threads here, but cant find them. you guys remember the peopel who were having navi freezing problems once they installed the aux input? was there ever a final solution to getting rid of that? basically once in a while when the car starts, the OK button freezes. restarting the car usually fixes it. mine has done this for 3 years since i added the aux input, but it was rare. now that i swapped in a 06 navigation unit, the navi freezes up much more on start up. so i was wondering if there was ever a fix for this. maybe an alternative aux input solution instead of the shond3?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Its likely your SNHOND3 screwing up. BTW, how's that '06 navi doing? You never posted up about it (that I remember at least...)

Use a newer aux like a "usa spec pa11-hon2y" or "Dice R4" and your problems should go away.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally Posted by Reach
Its likely your SNHOND3 screwing up. BTW, how's that '06 navi doing? You never posted up about it (that I remember at least...)

Use a newer aux like a "usa spec pa11-hon2y" or "Dice R4" and your problems should go away.
well i posted a thread in the general discussion area because i was having a probelm at first. then i went back and posted that it was fixed.

the 06 navi is working out great! it was basically a simple swap. everything worked right off the bat, then i got that touch screen freeze which lasted a couple hours. finally it just reset itself and has been fine ever since. once in a while it will freeze on the OK button just as the old one did, so nothing too different about that.

the only issue is that the 04 must have a different touchscreen interface than the newer 06. because there is a slight misalignment with the touch points, and i think i know why. this only affects the bottom row of the navi screen. everywhere else is perfect. but the old touch screen has 9 by 20 touch points, and the new one is looking for 10 by 20. so the very bottom row actually registers the unit above it when you press the bottom row. but the buttons still work fine on all the navi screens, except for 1 where it is an issue. other than that, this new navi is way faster than my old one, and much more updated and the menus are better. great upgrade and simple!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Thanks to the great information in this thread, I did the SNHOND3 install in my '04 TSX over the weekend. It only took me about half an hour, and the only tool I used was a mirror (to see where to plug the cable in). I took the laziest approach to running the cable - I just kind of wedged it between the storage compartment and "Not an Ashtray" compartment on the front console - so the cable just runs out through the gap between them. Maybe if I can get ahold of a drill, I will drill a hole in the back of the storage compartment, and keep it in there. But it works, and it was easy to do. The volume is a bit low, so I really need to crank it up (almost all the way) to get a nice loud listening level.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

yeah congrats. the low volume is a problem i have too. specifically since i pulg my xm commander radio into it, which has low volume itself. so combined i have really low volume. also you mayb find if you get buzz or whine, pick up a GLI - ground loop isolator, 20 bucks at radio shack. it will fix you right up and sound clear.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 PM
6th Gear

Hey there everyone,

I have an 05 TSX with Navi. I am looking to do this install with specific instructions on how to work around the Navi head unit. Can someone hook me up with a link?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

This is a similar (but also different question).

all I want to do is connect a simple mp3 player (the player has a single 3.5mm audio out jack, like a headphone jack) to the accord system, not an Ipod. I don't mind running a cable from the sound system to the center console externally.

My car is a Euro Accord Type - S (2006 model).

So far I have been using a cheapo fm transmitter that I got from Ebay for like 10 bucks and the sound it emits is filled with noise!

I have read the posts, my storage cabinet under the AC is not like the ones shown in the pictures on this post (it's bigger and wider).

what do I do?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear

oh, I forgot to mention that I don't have a navigation system
Old 05-30-2008, 03:42 PM
10th Gear

Hey I got a 05 w/navi I want aux input too...I was looking into the auxhond3 I dont know if i should get it or not...It would be great if someone that has this installed can confirm that it works fine with the navi and xm
Old 07-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recently installed AUXHOND3 into 05-TSX

For those of you who do not really use the upper compartment and don't want to drill any holes in it - I found an easier way to set this up. I basically removed the light from the compartment thereby freeing that opening to run the cable from the stereo to the aux unit through it. I attached the unit to the ceiling of the compartment with some double-sided adhesive strips (a couple of bucks at your local hardware store) and that was it. I stash the input cable inside that same compartment and close it when not in use. (see image of my compartment below)

Old 02-23-2010, 02:29 AM
1st Gear

Is the SNHOND3 really necessary? I just bought an Accord Euro 2003 (marketed as Acura TSX in the US) and looking at installing an auxiliary input. Dad's an electrical engineer, and we're both pretty cluey with that sort of thing, it seems like one should be able to wire an auxiliary input without buying an aftermarket device.

That said, all my google searching leads to this device and it seems like everyone (many of them also cluey, including yourselves) use one.

Am I missing something here?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

Ok fellas, I'm about to purchase an AUX input converter, but wanted to see which one do you guys think is the best one (sound quality, user friendliness, ease of installation, etc.). I only know of the HONAUX4 and the NEO and Dension. Basically, if you guys could let me know which one (from above or any other ones you know of) you think is best. Thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Instructor

I'm about to do an iPod adapter in my Candian 2005 TSX with no XM and no Navi. I've settled on the USA-Spec PA15HON2 adpater, but I looked at many of them in making my choice.

In case my research is useful to anyone else, here's what I learned about some of the options:

iPod_adapters.pdf

During the process I collected a number of the manuals. See here.

Now I just have to decide if I think I've got what it takes to do the installation myself (I think I want it in the console armrest storage area) or if I'm going to chicken out and use a local installer.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Very Helpful
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM
PennState

thanks cconrad, it was very helpful. I am going to purchase the usa spec one and hopefully I can install it myself!