FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was a lot of reading...but great reading.

I am about to pick up 05' TSX. After reading this thread I feel a little better about knowing it's doable (adding mp3 other than stock mp3 player).

With that said I just want to confirm something.

Car is/will be Acura TSX 05' with navi.
I'd like to add the Sony CDX-757MX mp3 changer (under the seat possibly) and be able to control it with the head unit controls as well as the steering wheel controls, without losing the original 6 CD changer. Unit will be for mp3's only.

I understand to accomplish this I will need the SHOND3, plus a good quality RCA cable to avoid noise.

Does anyone know if the id3 tags will work on the head unit/navi?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Instructor

hey
ive read through the entire post and I am a little bit confused about the ice link.
It plugs right into the Ipod but does it charge the Ipod and transmit music to the headunit at the same time?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Advanced

Can anyone tell me if this will work with my 2005 TSX w/Navi? Also, will my XM radio still work?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
it appears that there is currently no ideal solution to keep your xm working with your 05 tsx, navi or no navi. there are some solutions but they are apparently not ideal for either sound quality reasons or hackish reasons (a separate switch that you have to toggle) or both.

It's not a fundamental problem, tho. If the aux in adapter was designed differently it could be made to work fine.

.. this is what i remember when i looked into the situation for a friend's 05 accord. i could be remembering things incorrectly..
Old 06-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Advanced

I called Alpine and inquired about the VPA-B211A VehicleHub Adapter. The press release on their website (see www.alpine-usa.com) says it was released in the US on May 10, 2005. The press release says it has an input for their Ai-Net iPod interface, which would allow full on-screen iPod control, including song information and everything. The local Alpine distributor hasn't installed one yet and needs to call Alpine for more info. At a minimum, the system would cost $100 for a KCA-420i Ai-Net iPod interface, $300 for the VehicleHub adapter, and at least $45 for the professional installation. Also, the press release says there is a vehicle-specific interface to the factory head unit, which I don't even know is available for the TSX. I asked him to research and get back to me. I'm specifically looking to install this with the 2005 TSX w/Navi. If I can swing it for under $500, I might do it, assuming I can get my wife's approval. I'll let you know if I hear that this will work for the TSX. Aside from the cost, this sounds too good to be true though...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:54 AM
8th Gear

Do let us know what you find out from Alpine, that would be a great solution. I'm trying to hold off but my ipod is burning a hole in my bedroom since I can't use it in my Navi TSX yet either. I guess the ice-link would work, but i don't feel like splicing cables right now to keep the navi voice, as annoying as she is sometimes.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:55 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I just spoke to Blitzsafe today.

They are testing a Honda Acura adapter that will retain OEM XM and give you a pair of RCA inputs.

THey hope to have them shipping by the end of this month, I beleive (or next month, can't remember)

Anyway, as soon as they are available I will post cost info and I will order a batch just so I have some on hand. No price as yet, sorry...
Old 06-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Instructor

can somone teach me how to remove the center console so that I can run the cables under the center console to the storage bin
Old 06-10-2005, 08:25 PM
VP Electricity

If you're asking me if you're teachable, I don't know the answer to that.

If you're asking how to pull the cupholder, open the cupholder, stick your hands inside the cupholder basin and press outwards, and pull like the car isn't yours.

If it doesn't come up, you didn't pull hard enough.

No magic - the first couple of times that panel is pulled, it's a PITA.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://andylee.us/gallery/console
Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 AM
VP Electricity

Apparently I have the grip of Superman, and this guy has been gripped by Superman : )
Old 06-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jfbradley
I called Alpine and inquired about the VPA-B211A VehicleHub Adapter. The press release on their website (see www.alpine-usa.com) says it was released in the US on May 10, 2005. The press release says it has an input for their Ai-Net iPod interface, which would allow full on-screen iPod control, including song information and everything. The local Alpine distributor hasn't installed one yet and needs to call Alpine for more info. At a minimum, the system would cost $100 for a KCA-420i Ai-Net iPod interface, $300 for the VehicleHub adapter, and at least $45 for the professional installation. Also, the press release says there is a vehicle-specific interface to the factory head unit, which I don't even know is available for the TSX. I asked him to research and get back to me. I'm specifically looking to install this with the 2005 TSX w/Navi. If I can swing it for under $500, I might do it, assuming I can get my wife's approval. I'll let you know if I hear that this will work for the TSX. Aside from the cost, this sounds too good to be true though...
The guy at Tweeter I called blew me off and never called back with the information he promised. I need to stop by in person, maybe this weekend while the wife is out of town (she'd never let me pay this much to hook up my iPod anyway).
Old 06-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jfbradley
The guy at Tweeter I called blew me off and never called back with the information he promised. I need to stop by in person, maybe this weekend while the wife is out of town (she'd never let me pay this much to hook up my iPod anyway).
The Alpine website now has more information on the VehicleHub and says it requires a "3rd party adapter" to install and integrate with factory displays. Anyone know what that means? The guy at Tweeter Etc seemed kind of clueless about this new product (he's never installed one).
Old 06-18-2005, 09:27 AM
VP Electricity

It means that Alpine did a half-assed job and this thing requires an SHOND3-equivalent to get audio in.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 PM
6th Gear

Lightbulb

Anybody wants to donate an "unused" end of Honda cable(P/N 08A31-0E1-010) ? Plz PM. I will pay for shipping.

Thank you in advance,

Old 07-04-2005, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

Can I get power off the SNHOND3?

I'm attaching an OMNIFI media player to the SNHOND3 (thanks to this GREAT thread!) and need to make the power connections:

GROUND
ACC
DIMMER
UNSWITCHED

I was thinking of pulling GROUND and DIMMER off the small light in the storage compartment above the NOT AN ASHTRAY and using an ADD-A-CIRCUIT for the ACC and UNSWITCHED.

My question: is there anyway to pull these 4 items off the input to the SNHOND3? Or is there a better way to easily locate all the power I need for this device?

I've heard of pulling this power off the radio harness, but all I see behind the storage unit is a rat's nest of wires, none of which seems to have enough slack for me to even look at!

Thanks,
pdxtsx
Old 07-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Former Audio Mod

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
This looks like a cool install choice: Harmon Kardon iPod Link You'd still want the direct connection, which would need to be as in this thread thus far of course.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:07 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by schalliol
This looks like a cool install choice: Harmon Kardon iPod Link You'd still want the direct connection, which would need to be as in this thread thus far of course.
it would be nice to have the integration of the ice-link and this as a display.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:29 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by elduderino
I just spoke to Blitzsafe today.

They are testing a Honda Acura adapter that will retain OEM XM and give you a pair of RCA inputs.

THey hope to have them shipping by the end of this month, I beleive (or next month, can't remember)

Anyway, as soon as they are available I will post cost info and I will order a batch just so I have some on hand. No price as yet, sorry...
any word on this??
Old 07-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Pro

" Neil Weinstock's site" mentioned in schall's original post apparently no longer exists. Has it moved?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

I am trying to remove the cd storage bin on an 03 accord w/out nav so I can hook up an mp3 player using the adaptor to the aux input. I am trying to remove the bin by pushing the walls of the bin out and simulaneously pulling the bin toward me. It moves a bit but hits the covers of the power outlet and the 'This is not an ashtray' cover. Am I missing something in the directions to remove this, or maybe are the directions specific to the acura?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally Posted by TSX Hokie
" Neil Weinstock's site" mentioned in schall's original post apparently no longer exists. Has it moved?
If someone finds a new link (we should've gotten a PDF), I'll update the original.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Former Audio Mod

In my original post, since I was doing something no one had yet done before (to my knowledge), I had someone pull up the console. Are you suggesting that I can pull up just the cup-holder segment? It seems that one of my RCA jacks jot loose and I now only have one channel. As such, I was thinking that I could pull up the cup holders and that would be good enough to access one of the RCA cables and re-connect it to the male-male connector just behind the cup holder. Do you think that would work? I'm not sure whether there's anything else that might be in the way.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:33 PM
VP Electricity

I've pulled up just the cup holder, np.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Former Audio Mod

I've pulled up just the cup holder, np.
Thanks! I'll try that.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM
2007 TSX

Questions about IceLink Kit

My 1998 Honda Civic was totaled two weeks ago so I now have a brand new 2005 Acura TSX non-nav.

In my Honda I had an aftermarket stereo with an Aux In on the front and I used that to hook up my 4G, 40Gig photo iPod. Now I need to find the best way to get it hooked up in my TSX.

It sounds like the best choice would be the Denison kit that contains the iceLink, a dock, and the harness (presumably the SNHOND3 or something similar). I found it on Best Buy for $199.99 here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1108124556003

They claim to be able to install it and installation on an iPod is listed as $50. To me, $250 for all of the claimed features and very little of my time is well worth it. But I have a lot of questions I was hoping you guys could help with...

1. I don't completely understand how the iceLink works with the harness. Is it just an add-on between the harness and the iPod? If so, if they truly come out with a harness that will work without disabling XM could I conceivably buy that and the iceLink and get this same setup without losing XM?

2. iceLink mentions that you can access the first 5 playlists using the presets. Can you access all playlists or just those 5? Can you still operate the iPod using the iPod controls? I know the original BMW kit required you to name the playlists something specific and you could only listen to those playlists and it disabled the iPod controls.

3 Has anyone had this kit installed by Best Buy? I've never had anything installed by someone else and it makes me nervous. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?

4. If anyone has purchased this kit, what is the dock like? I have my iPod in an iSkin case that makes it a little thicker. The dock port is still accessible, but it can't sit in the normal dock because it's too thick. Will I have a problem with this dock?

5. Once everything is installed do you just have a wire with a dock connector end or a wire with a mini-jack end?

If anyone can answer any of these questions I will be very grateful.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:29 PM
VP Electricity

First off, the early Icelinks used a two-piece setup with an SHOND for the audio in.

Later versions incorporate the SHOND function, so it is not required any longer.

The cable is simply to allow you to plug in between the AUX input connector and the HU. If you don't have nav, this connector only carries XM.

Last week I tested an Icelink (current version) in a 2005 TSX service loaner (with XM) it worked fine BUT the XM had engine noise and sounded weaker.

I believe that you need to isolate the Icelink and the XM in some way to prevent this - such as Blitzsafe's upcoming product. (Message today from President of Blitzsafe: Hi Ken, We are doing the final software testing today, the boards have been ready 5 weeks ago, If software passes today we will ship Monday.)

Icelink allows you to access the other playlists but it's more complicated - uses a "browser menu". The iPod UI comes disabled with the iPod out of the box but is able to be turned back on.

Ilike the dock - but you sould see it at dension.com. If you don't like the dock I an order it for you with just a cable - which works well in the center console.

And I could NEVER recommend Best Buy for anything. I would definitely do it yourself - most of the same work is needed as the SHOND described here.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:45 AM
2007 TSX

Thanks. That helps clear some things up.

I was reading an article about the iceLink Plus (although this was about the one for the MINI) and it was talking about iceLink changing the display on the iPod to a weird font? Maybe it just meant a menu on the iPod specific to iceLink. When you plug in iceLink does the display on the iPod change at all? Is there some iceLink specific menu that you use or is it exactly the same as if it were not plugged in?

Also, can anyone confirm that the ID3 text display function of iceLink works in the 05 TSX?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Pro

woner if 06 TSXs head unit comes with adaptor or something so we can just buy it.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Here is how easy to install it by yourself in a none nav 04 TSX. Pull the storage try out carefully, use the compact (mirror) to locate the plug under the unit, in my case, I feed the ice link wire through the glove compartment and then through the opening from the passenger side of the unit. Plug everything in, test it, put the tray back and leave the iPod in the compartment. All of that in 10 minutes and the sound is fantastic. $120 at eBay.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:08 PM
2007 TSX

I think I'll definitely do it myself. I just can't trust someone else... plus it sounds like it's very easy. Besides Best Buy only carries the kit with the dock and I don't think the dock will work for me.

So now the big question is... is iceLink really what I want? Can anyone who has it answer the questions about the display and if there is some kind of iceLink menu on the iPod display when it's plugged in.

Someone said I can control it just like normal when it's plugged in, but then I saw a disclaimer somewhere that said something about only allowing you to use certain functions. Can you still scroll through and select playlists, artists, or albums just like you would if the iPod weren't connected to iceLink? Is the display different in any way?

Also, does the ID3 text display on the radio?

Thanks everyone. You've all been a great help. Once I have my iPod hooked up I will feel complete again!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:10 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by superJess
I just can't trust someone else...
Trust issues... sure you're a guy? : )

Can anyone who has it answer the questions about the display and if there is some kind of iceLink menu on the iPod display when it's plugged in.
Yes, there is an Icelink display and an Icelink menu also. It's slow to navigate though in the TSX, fortunately, you don't have to use it for much.

Someone said I can control it just like normal when it's plugged in, but then I saw a disclaimer somewhere that said something about only allowing you to use certain functions.
The iPod UI is disabled by default. You have to go into the menu to enable the scroll wheel.

The 1-5 disc buttons access playlists. The 6 button accesses the menu (or changing discs to disc 6 gets you there, can't remember). Pressing and holding the NEXT TRACK button is the enter command for the line you're on.

Can you still scroll through and select playlists, artists, or albums just like you would if the iPod weren't connected to iceLink? Is the display different in any way?
Once you've enabled the ipod UI I think it's identical from the scrollwheel.

Also, does the ID3 text display on the radio?
Nope. No one does that on the Acura at this time. Icelink does it for BMW, but I think they have a hard on for BMW : )
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Advanced

quick reminder: don't leave your iPod behind in the car during those hot hot days.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:46 AM
2007 TSX

Trust issues... sure you're a guy? : )
Errr... nope... I'm a girl. Maybe that explains a lot?

Nope. No one does that on the Acura at this time. Icelink does it for BMW, but I think they have a hard on for BMW : )
No kidding. Geesh.

I think I misinterpreted an article (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=103787) to mean that the text was displayed when maybe they just meant the track number was displayed.

It's annoying though that they list this in the product specs for the iceLink for Honda/Acura vehicles:

ID3 text displays the song title and artist information right on your radio

At least they do on Best Buy:
Dension ice>Link Plus for Apple® iPod™ (Select Honda/Acura Vehicles)
Model: I20-HONDA-R3
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1108124556003
Old 08-06-2005, 11:54 AM
VP Electricity

Errr... nope... I'm a girl. Maybe that explains a lot?

No kidding. Geesh.

I think I misinterpreted an article (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=103787) to mean that the text was displayed when maybe they just meant the track number was displayed.

It's annoying though that they list this in the product specs for the iceLink for Honda/Acura vehicles:

ID3 text displays the song title and artist information right on your radio

At least they do on Best Buy:
Dension ice>Link Plus for Apple® iPod™ (Select Honda/Acura Vehicles)
Model: I20-HONDA-R3
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1108124556003

I try to use this power only for good : )

As far as the Best Buy specs, I suspect that it's because Best Buy is incompetent. But I might be biased. Actually, I AM biased, but my bias doesn't change them from incompetent to competent.

Icelink's biggest danger is going out of business due to Best Buy sending back product that they accepted for return and then returning it to Dension. Other BB suppliers who were small have gone out of business after having pallets of returns shoved up their butts.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:48 PM
VP Electricity

OK, just talked to Blitzsafe today. As many of you know, I've been waiting for the XM compatible AUX and iPod interface for some time.

Based on what they said and what they implied... the Honda unit they are about to release was INTENDED to work with the XM cars... but doesn't. It will probably take a HW change due to the audio issues when the XM and another device are paralleled.

SO instead of them not having ANY SHOND3-competitor at all (which is where they are at at the moment) they will release this widget as an SHOND3 replacement/competitor, but NOT as an XM compatible device.

So I've started selling XM-compatible Icelink kits now. It's an Icelink cable kit (no cradle) prewired into the Acura Nav/XM extension harness. Check the Black Market for more info.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:10 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one question. could you simply buy the audio harness from honda (P/N 08A31-0E1-010) and splice in rca cables to the appropriate wires on the harness?
I guess what i'm trying to find out is why you would need the SNHOND3 or the icelink, assuming you didn't need to use the steering wheel controls to control the mp3 player.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ibriones
I have one question. could you simply buy the audio harness from honda (P/N 08A31-0E1-010) and splice in rca cables to the appropriate wires on the harness?
I guess what i'm trying to find out is why you would need the SNHOND3 or the icelink, assuming you didn't need to use the steering wheel controls to control the mp3 player.
You need a way to switch between XM and the RCAs... if you don't care about XM you can just cut the wires and patch in the RCAs...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:10 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by ibriones
No stupid questions...

With the 2004 there needs to be some device "telling" the HU that it is present on the databus. The SHOND3 emulates the optional changer in order to fool the HU into authorizing the input - otherwise, the HU won't allow the input to be selected.

For the 2005, the XM can act as the enabling device (no SHOND3 needed) but if you tie another audio device onto the XM wires, you get audio problems. For instance, if you tie an Icelink iPod interface in directly, you can get bad alternator whine when the XM is selected (even though the Icelink may sound great!)

So the AUX3 is used as a signal switcher to isolate the XM from your other device to prevent interaction like this.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:29 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No stupid questions...

With the 2004 there needs to be some device "telling" the HU that it is present on the databus. The SHOND3 emulates the optional changer in order to fool the HU into authorizing the input - otherwise, the HU won't allow the input to be selected.

For the 2005, the XM can act as the enabling device (no SHOND3 needed) but if you tie another audio device onto the XM wires, you get audio problems. For instance, if you tie an Icelink iPod interface in directly, you can get bad alternator whine when the XM is selected (even though the Icelink may sound great!)

So the AUX3 is used as a signal switcher to isolate the XM from your other device to prevent interaction like this.
Hey now, I don't think it was a stupid question. I figured that that's what the shond3 was doing but since it was never asked (as far as I can tell) I just wanted to make sure. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Now I know.

Quick Reply: FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion