Factory Navi system v.s. GPS (Garmin, TomTom)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Navi system v.s. GPS (Garmin, TomTom)?

Yeah so I was browsing the forums tonight and I'm reading up on alot of talk about the Nav system which actually got me thinking. For any of you TSX owners out there w/o Navi, have any of you resorted to these stand-alone GPS devices?? i.e Garmin, TomTom er w/e other ones are out on the market?? If so how do you like them, and are the really worth paying up to $300-500? One more thing, sorry if this is the incorrect forum area to post this, wasnt sure
Old 07-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It isn't really a TSX-oriented post...it's more like an aftermarket navi system question.

Some of the non-navi TSX owners went with non-navi because they wanted to use an aftermarket navi system that's portable and can be moved between cars.

I just came back from Hawaii, and I used the rental car company's portable navi system to get around. Let's just say that the aftermarket navi system was so horrible compared to the Acura's navi system. Not only was the screen so small, you couldn't do other stuff that I could do with my TSX w/ navi. For example, I couldn't touch the navi while the car was moving (in the TSX, your passenger can fool around with the navi, and you can ask it for detours, etc).

I'd say an aftermarket navi system, however, has it's uses. If you're lost, or you need directions to a place, it can come into handy (although when it keeps telling you to stay in the left lane, then the right lane, then the left lane all on a straight-away, it gets pretty annoying...that, and having it tell me to turn, make a U-turn, and then turn back on the road I was previously on lol).

If you're considering getting an aftermarket navi system, I'd spend a bit more to get a more fully-featured system. The commercials for the Tom-Tom looks promising (voice recognition I believe). If you're going to spend alot, you might as well get something good.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Banned

garmin nuvi 350 is pretty decent
Old 07-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Instructor

i would get the factory for SURE if my saleman show me the factory navigation before i buy my tsx.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Here to poke fun at you!

Originally Posted by Twisteds2k
garmin nuvi 350 is pretty decent
I saw that model at Sams club today.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Try the A/V section in Off-Topic. You'll get more exposure.