F*%K, Just Hit a Deer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 08:58 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
F*%K, Just Hit a Deer!

At least i wasnt going fast, only about 30mph. but the left headlight is busted and the hood is bent up a little, as well as the left quater panel. How are these types of repairs usually done? will they replace my hood and bumper, or try and bang them out?

at least i filed a report and will call insurance tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, that sucks... didnt actually think that sort of thing happens... as long as you are okay, be thankful....

What exactly happened, i mean, how does one just hit a deer?
J.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Pro

Re: F*%K, Just Hit a Deer!

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
At least i wasnt going fast, only about 30mph. but the left headlight is busted and the hood is bent up a little, as well as the left quater panel. How are these types of repairs usually done? will they replace my hood and bumper, or try and bang them out?

at least i filed a report and will call insurance tomorrow.
oh man. Did the deer survive?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:13 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

nah the deer didnt survive, it was alive for a short while.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:16 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

it sucks cause there were baby deer that were with the mother, and they were waiting on the side for her. eventually they just left. basically it was hit my left headlight adn rolled off the windshield to the side of the road.

i always wondered how this sort of thing happens too, and now i know. the thing ran right into the car. man at least i am ok, but the poor deer and tsx arent....
Old 07-12-2003, 10:09 PM
More On

Not to be too much like Oprah or Donahue, but -- how was it?
Did it feel like a horrible collision, or more like sort of a fender-bender?
Did it seem to be anywhere close to putting you in real danger??? etc.

BTW Bowersan -- This happens quite a bit. Sometimes can be bad.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:12 PM
More On

This seems like a good place to ask about this:
Some time ago (longer ago than I'd like to admit), I bought these little gizmos that are supposed to shoo deer out of the way. They're like a couple of little metal things that you put on the front bumper or something like that. I've never gotten around to putting them on, and my TSX is the 3rd car that I've been carrying them around in, always intending to put them on "some day."

Does anyone know about these things? Do they really work?
Old 07-12-2003, 10:13 PM
More On

BTW Bowersan -- This happens quite a bit.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Roger that really sucks, but on a lighter note, you could try this:

(8-ounce) venison steaks
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
Tangerine and Roasted Jalapeno Sauce, recipe follows
Sweet Onion and Sage Gratin, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Season venison on both sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add venison and saute until golden brown. Turn over, place pan in oven, and continue cooking for about 4 to 5 minutes for medium doneness. Drizzle the venison steaks with the Tangerine and Roasted Jalapeno Sauce. Serve with Sweet Onion and Sage Gratin.

Tangerine and Roasted Jalapeno Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, finely diced
3 jalapenos, roasted, peeled, and chopped
1 cup red wine
6 cups home-made chicken stock
1 cup thawed tangerine juice concentrate
1/4 cup light brown sugar

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos and cook until onions are soft. Add wine and cook until reduced completely. Add the chicken stock and cook until reduced to 2 cups. Whisk in the tangerine concentrate and brown sugar and cook to a sauce onsistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:38 PM
More On

Originally posted by Colin
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(8-ounce) venison steaks
2 tablespoons olive oil
Tangerine and Roasted Jalapeno Sauce, recipe follows
Sweet Onion and Sage Gratin, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Season venison on both sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add venison and saute until golden brown. Turn over, place pan in oven, and continue cooking for about 4 to 5 minutes for medium doneness. Drizzle the venison steaks with the Tangerine and Roasted Jalapeno Sauce. Serve with Sweet Onion and Sage Gratin.

Tangerine and Roasted Jalapeno Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, finely diced
3 jalapenos, roasted, peeled, and chopped
1 cup red wine
6 cups home-made chicken stock
1 cup thawed tangerine juice concentrate
1/4 cup light brown sugar

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos and cook until onions are soft. Add wine and cook until reduced completely. Add the chicken stock and cook until reduced to 2 cups. Whisk in the tangerine concentrate and brown sugar and cook to a sauce onsistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Yes, deer.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Doen't start with me!
Old 07-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro

Unhappy

i feel bad for the other deer...
Old 07-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

nah the deer didnt survive, it was alive for a short while.
Damn! sorry to hear that.

some luck you got! but just want until the PETA people show up in your front yard.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry about the deer mum, its babies, and your TSX. :'(

But my, that's a tasty sounding recipe! I've never had deer meat before. Does it taste like chicken, per chance? In some states, you can claim that roadkill. Does the deer fit in your trunk OK? That would be a good reason to get the trunk cargo liner. You did claim it, didn't you?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:16 AM
wiz
Pro

I used to have those metal deer whistles on the front of my truck in high school (because I lived in a huge deer populated area). I must say that I never saw many deer when I was in my truck driving around. Not sure if it was coincidence or just the fact that the whistles did drive them away.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:42 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I live in Ohio, this happens all the time. For those wondering "how" it happens it is really pretty simple. Deer will often dart from the side of the road on to the road/highway/freeway whatever. Depending on how fast you are going they might not be time to react to avoid it and BAM!!

At night time when deer cross the road and see headlights sometimes they will stop and freeze and BAM!!

It isn't too much of an issue in the city, but when you get on Interstate 70 for example they can pop out anytime.

Depending on how big they are they can do some serious damage to your car. An ex-roomate of mine hit a big one going over 70 MPH and totalled his car.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:25 AM
More On

Doen't start with me!
I guess I got trumped.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:27 AM
More On

Originally posted by wiz
I used to have those metal deer whistles on the front of my truck in high school (because I lived in a huge deer populated area). I must say that I never saw many deer when I was in my truck driving around. Not sure if it was coincidence or just the fact that the whistles did drive them away.
Thanks for the personal info; I hope others will tell also.

The icon didn't work! Maybe you have to say ":shurg:"?
Old 07-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Cruisin'

Roger: I feel your pain. On my recent July 4th road trip back from Vancouver, BC, I hit a bird in mid-flight. The resulting sight on my windshield reminded me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where the guy has his head blown out onto the back windshield. Not pretty. Just be thankful that nobody was hurt and that the car can be fixed to perfection and take solace in the fact that shit happens - it's a tough way to go, but maybe it was meant to be.

-snap-
Old 07-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Cruisin'

Is the trunk of the TSX big enough to fit a dead deer?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:54 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally posted by larchmont

BTW Bowersan -- This happens quite a bit. Sometimes can be bad.
well it wasnt a hard collision, i felt the car jolt only slightly. but as soon as it hit i knew that the car was damaged. i didnt feel like i was in any danger casue i was driving relatively slow on local roads near my new place (which is why i dont understand why i didnt have time to react or even see the poor deer). i just moved to scotch plains, nj a week ago. the deer more or less ran into the side of my car i guess, but really it hit where the headlight was and rolled off the windshield. perhaps the HIDS dont light that far to the side? i know that if the windshield column wasnt there i would maybe have seen more before it was too late though...
Old 07-13-2003, 09:02 AM
wiz
Pro

well it wasnt a hard collision, i felt the car jolt only slightly. but as soon as it hit i knew that the car was damaged. i didnt feel like i was in any danger casue i was driving relatively slow on local roads near my new place (which is why i dont understand why i didnt have time to react or even see the poor deer). i just moved to scotch plains, nj a week ago. the deer more or less ran into the side of my car i guess, but really it hit where the headlight was and rolled off the windshield. perhaps the HIDS dont light that far to the side? i know that if the windshield column wasnt there i would maybe have seen more before it was too late though...
Well, my HID's shine further out to the left and right than any other car that I've ever had. They may not shine way off into the distance, but they are bright up to where the cutoff is and also how far off to the left and right they shine. Is there a reason you didn't have your brights on though, since it looks like you might have been out in the country a bit and you were the only car on the road. I get to where I almost always turn my brights on when I'm the only car on the road, even in the city. You never know when something will be lurking in the road.

Oh, and it looks like the correct icon over here is
Old 07-13-2003, 10:49 AM
More On

Originally posted by wiz
Well, my HID's shine further out to the left and right than any other car that I've ever had. They may not shine way off into the distance, but they are bright up to where the cutoff is and also how far off to the left and right they shine. Is there a reason you didn't have your brights on though, since it looks like you might have been out in the country a bit and you were the only car on the road. I get to where I almost always turn my brights on when I'm the only car on the road, even in the city. You never know when something will be lurking in the road......
Yeah, I do the same thing -- specifically because of deer.

About the headlights: At the old site, this was an issue of controversy. My impression about the lights is the same as Roger's seems to be -- that it doesn't illuminate very far laterally. For me, there is no doubt that the lateral range (I'm making up the phrase; there must be a real one for it but don't know it) is significantly less than with my previous car, TL-S, which admittedly is a tough act to follow in this regard. But when I said this on the Club, many people disagreed, some vehemently. I guess it depends on what you're used to; also I suspect that the idiosyncrasies of the TSX's lights affect different people's eyes differently, and to me, it just makes it seem like you have a very small illuminated area.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:07 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

In Bonaire there are a lot of wild donkeys roaming around the island. Luckily they're too slow to dart in front of anything.

Pictures:
http://www.phatrecords.com/cars/donkey1.jpg
http://www.phatrecords.com/cars/donkey2.jpg
Old 07-13-2003, 12:58 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Originally posted by wiz
Well, my HID's shine further out to the left and right than any other car that I've ever had. They may not shine way off into the distance, but they are bright up to where the cutoff is and also how far off to the left and right they shine. Is there a reason you didn't have your brights on though, since it looks like you might have been out in the country a bit and you were the only car on the road. I get to where I almost always turn my brights on when I'm the only car on the road, even in the city. You never know when something will be lurking in the road.

Oh, and it looks like the correct icon over here is
the thing is it wasnt a country road at all. there are neighborhoods on both sides of the road, with no woods area close by. i cant beleive these deer were just running through peoples yards.

i would have had my high beams on but there was oncoming traffic, it is a busy area. yes i think the icon of choice is
Old 07-13-2003, 03:10 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

does anyone know how these types of repairs are made? they should replace the hood and all the bent parts, right? the insurance company is going to estimate the car for me, will they estimate it using replacement parts or banging out the damaged ones? i really want them to be replaced. i might have the dealer estimate it first to have that as leverage for the insurance company. any suggestions?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Advanced

...you...you...you killed a deer?:'( :'( :'(
Old 07-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Advanced

I think they'll estimate it on whether it can be bent out or not...if it cant than they'll estimate fully repairing it.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:22 AM
Pro

hey roger, sorry to hear about the sad news, but you're OK, all that matters!!!

Depending on what insurance company you have, you should probably be able to take the car to any body shop and get a estimate and take that to your insurance company and they will cut you a check for it. The best would be to take the car to someone you know or a friend of a friend that runs a shop, so they can give you the highest estimate. If you were planning to do any mods to your car, now would be a good time. Have the auto shop give you an estimate and then after you get the check from the insurance, you can ask the dealer to order you specific parts.

***SIDE NOTE***

I live near philly and go to school in the middle of PA. LOTS OF DEERS!!!!! I went on a hunting class and learned a couple of things from the park rangers. If you see a deer on the road, do not try to avoid it, brake if you can and just hit it. You will probably cause more damage trying to avoid it than hitting it going 65 mph. Insurance companies will pay for it, becuase it was an act of mother nature. Now I'm not saying always hit the deer, but if you're driving fast, then you're better off hitting it than to steer off the road and hit something else. Don't worry about the deer, there are enough to go around, there's actually an overpopulation of deers and they're eating up all our harvest in some places.

Sorry to ramble, but just as a notice to all drivers.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:52 AM
More On

Originally posted by DjElucid
.....I live near philly and go to school in the middle of PA. LOTS OF DEERS!!!!! I went on a hunting class and learned a couple of things from the park rangers. If you see a deer on the road, do not try to avoid it, brake if you can and just hit it. You will probably cause more damage trying to avoid it than hitting it going 65 mph.....
Funny. There's a lot of stuff like this in the world, stuff that maybe (or maybe not) is real good advice, but nobody's ever going to follow it. You know, like never go for a gorgeous chick.

Is there even one of you who thinks you'll ever actually follow this???

It goes against instinct and common sense. Even if it's right.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Hey I hit a deer with my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant 5 days before my scheduled pick up of my TSX. Granted it was 2 in the morning and I was tired but I didn't actually see the deer till it was in front of my driver's side headlight so by the time I hit the brakes it was over. Going at approx 55mph I had no time to react and if you don't see the deer coming from the side you probably won't have enough reaction time either unless you baby the car and drive 5-10mph on a freeway.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro

Originally posted by larchmont
Funny. There's a lot of stuff like this in the world, stuff that maybe (or maybe not) is real good advice, but nobody's ever going to follow it. You know, like never go for a gorgeous chick.

Is there even one of you who thinks you'll ever actually follow this???

It goes against instinct and common sense. Even if it's right.
Yes that is true, and by the time you do see it....it is too late.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:58 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
same exact thing happened to me a few months ago:

http://www.imageevent.com/soopa/deerdamage

i saved money on my deductible by letting them repair the fender rather then replace ----- DONT DO IT.

replace that shit.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:10 AM
More On

Originally posted by DjElucid
Yes that is true, and by the time you do see it....it is too late.
I actually have swerved to avoid deer.

Maybe it's because on "those kind" of roads, when I'm alone on the road at night, I obsessively look out for deer. Gives me something to do.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:56 PM
9th Gear

Hey Roger P.

Not to get off the deer topic, but where did you get your tsx? I'm about am hour se of Pittsburgh and I've been having a hell of a time finding any in stock. When I do, the dealers act like asses and tell me it's too hot to discount. Bucks county isn't all that far from me so I just wondered where you purchased from. Did you get a decent deal?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 09:07 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

I bought it at Davis Acura in Langhorne. i got no discount. however, i shopped at Princeton acura and they offered 1000$ off MSRP. but for personal reason we went with Davis.

Thats kinda a far drive from 'da burg though.

btw i waited a month for my car to ship
Old 07-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Über Geek

Did anyone else notice Roger is from Bucks County?

I've had deer. One word: Mmmmm.
It's not like chicken at all. "Gamey" is the word I've heard. Deep, rich, and earthy. Similar to lamb or goat.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:13 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

LMAO
Old 08-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by captainjack
Did anyone else notice Roger is from Bucks County?
Well I guess it's a damn good thing he's not from Elephant county!

Roger, is the car fixed yet? I hope it came out well!
Old 08-02-2003, 06:36 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Hey thanks! the car is in the shop and should be done next week (tues. or wed.)