engine block heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine block heater

Hello, does anyone know how much is engine block heater for TSX, and from where.... do TSX share the same one with Accord i4?
thx
Old 10-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Former Audio Mod

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask your dealer, mine was offering to sell one installed in the car for $159 USD before you talk them down. I think this is a pretty high price, but I'm not sure. If you're going to mainly be in Toronto, I can't imagine you needing it if you drive it fairly often. The TSX should handle pretty well in cold weather, it's mainly diesel that you have to worry about.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Pro

thnaks i park outside somtimes and when part outside, the engine crank quite a bit longer than usual, it also cut down warmup time, and hot air faster. I use one before and there is a big difference between warm up time.... is the part idential part to 2003 honda accord? thanks..
Old 10-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Former Audio Mod

Good point, might be a good idea. I wish I knew what part it is, your dealer should know.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:06 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

No offense intended, but if I lived in Toronto I'd take advice regarding engine block heaters from someone from Silicon Valley, California with a grain of salt...
Old 10-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Pro

Old 10-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

It should be the same part as the Accord. They have the same block as us, right?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by rb1
No offense intended, but if I lived in Toronto I'd take advice regarding engine block heaters from someone from Silicon Valley, California with a grain of salt...
I've lived in other places (besides San Diego and SV) . Toronto's winter is not THAT different from a bad winter in Indiana with lake effect.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Pro

i want the heater not becsuse to be able to start the car, i want to save scratching on engine during cold star and fuel for warm up in the winter...
i expect they accord and tsx use the same part, but dealer refuse to confirm this... any idea?
does Hondaacura world sell this item? where is their website?

thanks
Old 10-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by gogozy
i want the heater not becsuse to be able to start the car, i want to save scratching on engine during cold star and fuel for warm up in the winter...
i expect they accord and tsx use the same part, but dealer refuse to confirm this... any idea?
does Hondaacura world sell this item? where is their website?

thanks
Maybe you could call my dealer - Stevens Creek Acura and tell them you know they sell the TSX's heater and try to get the part number. If they won't give it out, tell them where you live and that you'd love to buy from them, but that it's not possible. Here's their Toll Free Parts & Service Line: (877) 289-9549 Just a thought...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:47 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by schalliol
I've lived in other places (besides San Diego and SV) . Toronto's winter is not THAT different from a bad winter in Indiana with lake effect.
I was just razzing you. It did seem rather comical on the surface.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Pro

Old 10-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Pro

i am looking at the install menu, it also install an O ring and a cap, does anyone know what that for?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by rb1
I was just razzing you. It did seem rather comical on the surface.
Point well taken. It's going to be 72°F(16.7°C) today and the normal high in January is about 62°F(22.2°C)...oh yeah, it hasn't rained in 6 months (maybe a sprinkle once). I feel the need for snow and just have to take weekends in Tahoe.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

summer is over , time for resurrecting this thread

Is the heater worth the money (US$132 Dealer Install/$75 self-install) and hassle of running cable ?
How hard is install ?
where is the cable leading out from ? (front grill, underneath)
Old 09-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro

hehe, i am searching the stuff too!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gogozy
hehe, i am searching the stuff too!!!
huh ? :wtf: ?
you STILL searching ? I thought you had some answers for me
Old 09-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Pro

i had install the thing on my 95 accord before, it was easy to run wire. but after looking at menu i may let someone do it... about usefullness; i don't have a garage and warm it up 10-20 minutes in winter helps a lot, i get hot air much much quickly. kind of regret i did not buy it last year as i have a 2 month old daughter now. i don't want my wife let the car idle to warm up, and just to drive 10 km to the mall. plus i may sell the car next year, so anyhow, running wire is easy, it's the collant thing i don't want to handle.. where are you buying?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

>>it's the collant thing i don't want to handle..

what you mean ? How is TSX install different from one you did on the Accord ?
Also how does the wire go into the engine compartment ? thru frint grill , underneath ?

The heater is listed on Acura Store.
($132 Dealer installed/$75 DIY)

hmm interesting TL does not have this accessory.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Pro

you can take a look!! Honda.com has complete instruction for installation,
https://hond.hostasaurus.com/Merchan...tructions/tsx/

hope this helps!!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

dude the link no working
Old 09-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Pro

are they banned or what??? i don't know why i can't post their url..

anyhow, try this, http://www.hondacura world.com/Merchant2/instructions.html and take out space in middle, left corner is instruction.....

will i get banned for doing this?? can someone explain..
Old 09-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned

got it merci
Old 10-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro

hay blackjackman did you get it yet?
oh, so i order the part from Sunnysideacura, it's $60 plus shipping. part shall arrive next week and i will get it up before my finder say too cold
the dealer here is charging 2-3 hr of labour, that's crazy. i did not do it last year but with oil price surge and a now have a 3month old baby.. i am doing it. (so my wife won't waste $$$ gas on warm up the car..)
Old 10-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Banned

no not yet.
$60 is good price.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly, I really don't see what use it could be to you having mild winters like you do.

To my knowledge, a blockheater doesn't heat up the oil, so there will be no difference in the quickness the oil heats up and circulates.

And as for ease of starts, last winter I have experienced a few -35C in Val d'Or, Qc, and the TSX cranked a little slower, but nevertheless, it started without too much worries.

Actually, I have been driving for 10 years now, and never have I ever used a blockheater in all those years, and I haven't failed a single time to start the engine.

Blockheater=waay overrated.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro

i had it on my previous Accord, and it warm up coolant much faster. i do not have a garage so sometimes it can be quite cold. it's not for helping start the car, the purpose is to warm up interior of the car(alimate control) so we don't need to let the car idle too long. and i think with gas price shotting up like crazy, we can recover these quickly. My wife is very picky about temperaure, especially after the baby arrived, i also lost control of programm thermostat(in the house)
i can picture her let the TSX idle 15-20 minutes just to let the hot aire warm up the whole car.. with this thing i hope i can talk her down ... and i can't stand if my car has less then 23MPG....
any suggestion that will help warm up interior faster?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

I really don't care about cabin warms up fast or not.
I care about the engine.

Does the heater warm up the engine in such way
so that when you start in the morning the engine will start faster than without, and reach normal operating temp A LOT faster ?
Cos I am like 30 sec from the 40-mph road.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by blackjackman
I really don't care about cabin warms up fast or not.
I care about the engine.

Does the heater warm up the engine in such way
so that when you start in the morning the engine will start faster than without, and reach normal operating temp A LOT faster ?
Cos I am like 30 sec from the 40-mph road.
The block heater warms the coolant, which is what gets measured by the temperature gauge on the left. So if you're talking about whether that gauge will move quicker, the answer is yes. It might even start fully warm already--I've never used a block heater except on a research engine. The oil is untouched, though except for conduction of heat from the block to the oilpan.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Banned

so you and sauceman are saying that the temp of the engine OIL is the real determinant
in whether the engine is "all-good-to-go" ?

So it's possible with using the heater that the thermo shows normal op temp but the oil can still be too cold ?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by blackjackman
so you and sauceman are saying that the temp of the engine OIL is the real determinant
in whether the engine is "all-good-to-go" ?

So it's possible with using the heater that the thermo shows normal op temp but the oil can still be too cold ?
Exactly. It's possible that the block heater heats the oil some, just not directly. The coolant is heated directly.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro

yes, that's true, oil get heat up indirectly. i do notice easier engine start up with this thing. i install on Accord to heat up engine not interior. i assume since heater is in engine jacket and thermostat still close, the block heater is a good idea to warm up engine somewhat. oil in remain in the engine (due to ADV on oil filter) will probably benefite from this. can someone confirm if coolant also used to cool/warm up engine oil or transmission fluid?
if you live 30 sec from 40mph drive, take it slow because transmission also need warm up. (but shouldn't you drive LESS than 40mph?)

Parts arrive yesterday but they did not use the shipping company we agreed, and i know $$$ brokerage fee is comming to hit me i just call the seller and ask how they are going to resolve it. waiting for reply.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Pro

my wife is already mad because we agree not to get any mod for this car .... probably sell the car next year. we are planning to move to Taiwan. although we love TSX, shipping and custom tax for bring this car to Taiwan will cost me another new TL here..
Old 10-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Tuxedo Cat

This is the kind of thing we use in airplanes: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/ezheat.php Attaches to the bottom of the oil pan and makes sure the oil is hot. If the engine compartment is sufficiently insulated it will usually provide keep other components of the engine warm as well, but it can be combined with cylinder heaters if desired.

A trick we often use with aircraft is to simply put a cover (can be a blanket, or you can buy custom cowl covers) on the engine compartment and then place a 60w light bulb in a covered socket at the bottom. That 60w bulb will keep everything sufficiently warm if you've got a nice insulating cover to hold heat in. A second 60w bulb hanging in the cabin is also quite good for keeping things warm inside.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro

thanks!! my local hardware sell a oil heating device stick to oil pan with mangnet. but i don't know if that will fall off

Honda block heater take about 400W, i think there is another 1100W i can use for an additional heater in cabin!!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro

oh, this drain bolt on engine jacket is super hard to remvoe, i can't get it off. i ask dealer to lossen it for me during service, they said they did but still super hard to remove it. i guess i need some new tool, anyone have any experiences? thx.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If the car is parked outside under freezing temp and the coolant mixture is insufficient to keep from freezing, then the block heater can be useful to save the engine block from cracking. The battery can also be weaken from the low temp and cause hard starting problems.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Pro

JTso thanks, saw yor new Dyno, that was impressive!!
regarding the block heater, i am looking for way to remove drain bolt on engine, anyone done it before and how did you get it off?
thx
Old 11-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Is the drain plug like a hex center or square center? You might be able to get it off with a breaker bar and extension. Removing the oil filter should provide more working space.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:08 PM
DGH
What, me worry?

Originally Posted by sauceman
Honestly, I really don't see what use it could be to you having mild winters like you do.

To my knowledge, a blockheater doesn't heat up the oil, so there will be no difference in the quickness the oil heats up and circulates.

And as for ease of starts, last winter I have experienced a few -35C in Val d'Or, Qc, and the TSX cranked a little slower, but nevertheless, it started without too much worries.

Actually, I have been driving for 10 years now, and never have I ever used a blockheater in all those years, and I haven't failed a single time to start the engine.

Blockheater=waay overrated.

I lived for several years in Thunder Bay, regularly -40~-45 C. Car at the time (New-at-the-time 1988 Chrysler Daytona) would turn over once then stop if it was not plugged in for at least 20 minutes.

Impossible to live there without a block heater.

(Yeah, I realize this thread is primarily about T.O., just thought I'd comment that my experience is different than yours.)

Like you said,

Quick Reply: engine block heater