Dynamat QuestionS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamat QuestionS?

Hi all,
I was reading though a bunch of threads where some of you guys placed dynamats between the door panals and on the trunk. I was wondering if this stuff really works? Also I as looking for some online and there seems to be a bunch of different types such as for the trunk, door panals ( speakers ), and there was also a spray can.
I was wondering if I can just get the generic roll that seems to be used for everthing or should I get the specific dynamat for that certain appliction?

Also one more question, where do you guys buy this at cause it seems pretty expensive?

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

yes it works, and generally makes a huge diff. there are other good cheaper alternatives to dynamat like accumat, rammat, b quiet, and second skin.

have you consider some liquid deadner? i have some and they work great, little easier to apply also. i currently have quietcoat in my tsx.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Instructor

hey .. I looked at quietcar and its a spary ... so do you spray it just on the medal part in the door or do you take the plastic off and spray it there? I'm all new to this.

Also I saw that they had a 16oz can and a gallon. Which did you use? If you used the gallon how did you apply it onto the door or would I have to buy that air compressor sprayer?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:52 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I personally HATE Dynamat. It works... but it's too heavy, and it literally stinks like roofing tar on hot days.

Go with Cascade Audio's Vibra-Bloc. It's vinyl impregnated with mica, not tarry asphalt. I got GREAT results with installing just patches in my door, on the inside of the outer door skin and on the surfaces of the inner door skin (WITHOUT covering any bolts or holes that mechanics might need in the future!) Joerockt liked it as well in his...

Get it from Parts Express here. Do NOT get the Deflex Power Pads, because the side intrusion bar inside the TSX door makes them impossible to use. Just buy the door kit, a $29 heat gun at Home Depot and a crappy knife for $1.99 and you have everything you need for four doors and maybe even the trunk lid!

I plan on posting the VB install photos in a few days... just finished the door panel removal and spacer construction posts...
Old 08-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LaxTSX
hey .. I looked at quietcar and its a spary ... so do you spray it just on the medal part in the door or do you take the plastic off and spray it there? I'm all new to this.

Also I saw that they had a 16oz can and a gallon. Which did you use? If you used the gallon how did you apply it onto the door or would I have to buy that air compressor sprayer?

yea you can spray. i got the gun and i masked everything i didnt want to spray, took about 5 mins to do the whole trunk. here in tx it takes about 45mins to dry up

quietcoat is also pretty light, after it dries the weight is 8lb/gallon. 2 gallon should be plenty for the entire car, it is enough for 2/3 layers per coating also. pretty imressive stuff.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Advanced

dumb question....about the cascade audio...

is this to keep the speaker sound in, or, to keep the road noise out, or, both? thanks!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ennzzo
dumb question....about the cascade audio...

is this to keep the speaker sound in, or, to keep the road noise out, or, both? thanks!

both. also it keeps the door from vibrating.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Advanced

is it easy to get door panel off? does the product have adhesive or do you have to gun it?

Thanks in advance....

abp/6mt/navi
Old 08-18-2004, 12:39 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Pls see door panel removal thread in FAQs and in Audio and Video.

The product has adhesive but like most adhesives it works best when heat activated. When heat activated I have never had it fall off.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Instructor

you know when you mention the side intrusion bar inside the TSX door ... I notice mine had rust on it ... is that normal elduderino? Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

I just wish there is frame made with black rubber.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elduderino
I personally HATE Dynamat. It works... but it's too heavy, and it literally stinks like roofing tar on hot days.

Go with Cascade Audio's Vibra-Bloc. It's vinyl impregnated with mica, not tarry asphalt. I got GREAT results with installing just patches in my door, on the inside of the outer door skin and on the surfaces of the inner door skin (WITHOUT covering any bolts or holes that mechanics might need in the future!) Joerockt liked it as well in his...

Get it from Parts Express here. Do NOT get the Deflex Power Pads, because the side intrusion bar inside the TSX door makes them impossible to use. Just buy the door kit, a $29 heat gun at Home Depot and a crappy knife for $1.99 and you have everything you need for four doors and maybe even the trunk lid!

I plan on posting the VB install photos in a few days... just finished the door panel removal and spacer construction posts...

It really makes a BIG difference. I just bought the Cascade trunk kit and another door kit for this weekend, if it gets here on time...
Old 08-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Instructor

how do you get the Cascade Audio's Vibra-Bloc to stick to the door? It went to the website but I couldn't really read the directions that was on the pdf.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its just peel and stick. But use a heat gun on the adheasive for even more "stickyness".
Old 08-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino

So if I bought one of the Vibra-Bloc kits it would cover all four doors and then some, or just patches of the door?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
elduderino:
i had the cascade vb before. It works good but one question. On the door, there's like big holes where you can stick your hand into. Do you use the cascade and cover up the big hole like how it is covered by that plastic film in stock form or do you cut the cascade to fit only to the frame of the door? On my teg, i cut the cascade to cover only the frame of the door.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Cruisin'

This past weekend I cascaded my two front doors. I removed the moisture liner and used it to trace onto and then cut the cascade. I then put the cascade on the panels (covering up the big holes). Using a hair dryer, I went back and molded everything to the metal door underneath. Make sure you mark where to cut for your wires to poke through. I dont know if my car was quiet before or what happened but I didnt know all that much of a difference. It might have been slight really but if I had it all to do over again, I wouldnt have bothered doing it. Just my