Drive-by-wire or CAI lag?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:26 AM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive-by-wire or CAI lag?

I just passed my break-in period and needless to say, I've been going on a few spirited runs with my new CAI.

While I'm quite pleased with the power and sound at high RPM, I've been troubled by what appears to be lag or throttle delay after shifts. In my 96 Integra, I would get thrown into the back of my seat after each upshift at 6000+ rpm -- even without power shifting. I would hear my change box and the dashboard rattle. Although I'm sure the TSX was constructed more tight, I don't get the same throttle 'launch' after shifts.

Anyone else with a CAI experience this? I don't believe I have any leaks near my intake tube. Or is it another function of VSA / Drive-by-wire doing its job?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:43 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It might have more to do with the TSX being i-vtec as opposed to the regular v-tec found in integras. You get more of a kick at the higher rpms with a regular vtec than you do with the i-vtec. The TSX engine is more linear with its power than your integra. Your getting more power throughout the RPM band, instead of 80% of your power above 6K and 20% below 6K rpms.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
It might have more to do with the TSX being i-vtec as opposed to the regular v-tec found in integras. You get more of a kick at the higher rpms with a regular vtec than you do with the i-vtec. The TSX engine is more linear with its power than your integra. Your getting more power throughout the RPM band, instead of 80% of your power above 6K and 20% below 6K rpms.

My buddy, who has a 00 Prelude, says the same. Though the VTEC kick is nice, I do prefer the linear acceleration. I've never owned a VTEC kicker Honda, so I'm indifferent I guess.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:00 PM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Sorry I confused you -- I was trying to describe the clutch 'kick' after each subsequent upshift -- not the high RPM power. The TSX doesn't seem to give an immediate kick. It lags for a second and then give you your power more incremental.

I didn't have a GS-R/ Type R, btw.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:07 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Sorry I confused you -- I was trying to describe the clutch 'kick' after each subsequent upshift -- not the high RPM power. The TSX doesn't seem to give an immediate kick. It lags for a second and then give you your power more incremental.

ohh, my bad...thats sounds like DBW adjustment...but i'm not sure. Maybe the real experts can chime in on this?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd

Could be the difference between a hydrolic clutch verses a cable clutch. I mean I have a lull after a 1st to 2nd shift but found keeping the revs a little higher helps that. I've gotten a few neck snaps in the TSX and it was because I feathered in the clutch at higher RPMs.

I think sauceman is the one who posted shots of him drag racing some cars and he mentioned a 2.5k drop-in of the clutch. I tried it and noticed a significant better launch.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the lag may have to do with the electric-driven throttle body. To minimise the lag, you really need to be back on the throttle earlier than on cable-driven TBs.

It looks simple, but you need to re-learn your timing of clutch-throttle. Once you've learned the new syncronisation you need, you'll get that same dash-dropping kick in the ass.

It's quite simpler for me at the tracks since I actually never drop the throttle even during shifts.