Downshifting 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downshifting 6MT

When slowing down, for example, arriving at a highway redlight, do you shift into neutral and coast to a stop or do you downshift the gears keeping the rpms 2k-4k.

When downshifting, do you blip the throttle to rev match? It's suppose to be easier on the drivetrain. Any negative effects of it?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:14 PM
VTECSTASY!

yes... i try to always match revs when downshifting. This way its easier on your clutch and drivetrain. The only negative effect i can think of would be using up more gas.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Dont know about the negative effects of blipping the throttle. But I know that I do it- without adding any throttle, the car will slow too quickly and cause an abrubt deceleration of the vehicle (not smooth at all!)
One thing to note is that the TSX engine decelerates at a slower rate than, say, my 99 Integra.. You dont need to add much gas at all.

J.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Jaystsx

Slowing Down: Depends on what mood I'm in as to whether or not I match revs. About half and half.

Passing or heavy acceleration: I always match the revs when I'm accelerating. Not only is it smoother, but it feels faster as well (may be a mental thing).
Old 09-12-2003, 04:35 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by onenonlieTSX
yes... i try to always match revs when downshifting. This way its easier on your clutch and drivetrain. The only negative effect i can think of would be using up more gas.
We talked about this earlier, and someone suggested that it actually uses less gas to downshift than to just coast in neutral. When engine-braking, the forward momentum of the car is actually rolling the wheels and spinning the engine without the need for any gas. When you put it in neutral, a little bit of gas is used in keeping the engine above stall-speed (just as when you're stopped at a light).
Old 09-12-2003, 05:32 PM
such a dirty birdy

1) When slowing to a stop, I coast in neutral and don't engine brake. If I'm not certain I'm stopping, I will either downshift and lightly engine brake or coast until it's time to accelerate again, then pick the appropriate gear for the current speed.

2) When downshifting, I rev match to make the shift smooth.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:43 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Count Blah
We talked about this earlier, and someone suggested that it actually uses less gas to downshift than to just coast in neutral. When engine-braking, the forward momentum of the car is actually rolling the wheels and spinning the engine without the need for any gas. When you put it in neutral, a little bit of gas is used in keeping the engine above stall-speed (just as when you're stopped at a light).
I think he meant you use up more gas when rev matching. That is...when you hit the throttle to increase your rpms you are wasting gas, instead of just letting the clutch out without matching revs.

As for me I will downshift the odd tiome but I usually drive pretty fast and need ot brake quikley..so no time for downshifting. On my old car I went through brake pads very quickly. We'll see how these honda brake pads hold up.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Instructor

I am still in the break in process...would downshifting be recommended? I know it would be beneficial for the clutch, but is free revving the engine ok during break-in? I ask this because I had heard that revving in neutral is bad, maybe I'm mistaken. Opinions?
Old 09-12-2003, 10:12 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Rev matching will put less wear on the syncros...
Old 09-12-2003, 10:36 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

The least wear on you car will occur if you simply shift into neutral when the RPM's drop below whatever is reasonable for whatever gear you are in.

The whole idea of downshifting to a stop is a throwback to the era when brake technology was in the stone age and using your gears and the braking force of your engine was a more reliable way to stop your car. This is no longer true. Your clutch and synchros wear with each and every shift, perfect rev-matching notwithstanding. Not many of us can perfectly rev-match, especially when downshifting.

Brakes are far cheaper than clutches, and I doubt anyone can measure the gas saved by actually being in gear vs. "idling".
Old 09-13-2003, 12:37 AM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by rb1
Brakes are far cheaper than clutches, and I doubt anyone can measure the gas saved by actually being in gear vs. "idling".
I bet sauceman can.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:12 AM
Houston we have a problem

When braking to a stop, rev matching is not neccesary. When slowing down to take a corner, for example, rev matching is important, as it'll keep the car stable.

In general, use brakes more to slow down the car, rather than engine brake.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Advanced

When I'm driving casually in city traffic I rarely use my brakes. From 5th or 4th cruising; I 'll typically down shift until i've used my engine as a brake until I actually need to come to a dead stop, where I'll apply my brake (under 20km/hr) Should traffic pattern change IE: The light turns green, I'm always in the right gear for acceleration

Now if I'm driving more aggresively in town I definetely use my brake heavily and will skip shift, but not on the highway. Nothing frustrates me more than people that find it necessary to brake for no reason when their on the open road.

Interesting note I've picked up a driving trait from being in Europe and that is to use my 4-way flashers if I'm really stepping into the brake for massive decelleration when I'm on the highway and i can see that the person behind me may not be able to slow down fast enough. IE: Accident around the corner or wildlife on the road. Actually I also use them if someone waives me by or pulls over slightly to let me pass them.