Doesn't anybody else feel mislead by Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't anybody else feel mislead by Acura?

I'm struck by the number of posters at this site who aren't aware that most of the "leather" covering on the seats is actually vinyl. The TSX brochure does say "leather covered seating" not "partially covered leather seating." And, I can also tell you that most Acura salesmen don't know the difference either. I think there is an accuracy in advertising issue here.

Second point, anybody else annoyed that the "heated seats" include a passenger seat that is only partially heated?

I think Acura needs to do a better job about being forthright in describing the limitations of the vehicle.

Its a great car, at a great price. But, some aspects of the marketing strike me as being a bit dishonest.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
"Deeply bolstered front sport seats with perforated leather-trimmed interior"

Right from Acura Canada's website. I far as I can remember, its always been "leather-trimmed".

I had no idea about the passenger seat being "partially heated". Where did you get that information? The Canadian website again says:

"Heated front seats"
Old 10-08-2003, 02:01 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i never heated my seats yet, i think i'll do it later
Old 10-08-2003, 02:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by STC
i never heated my seats yet, i think i'll do it later
It works amazing. I heated my seat last week and had to shut it off for hot it got :flamer:
Old 10-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't fortunate enough to get a brochure, but the website reads "leather-trimmed seats" In general industry speak, this means "not full leather". This terminology is widely accepted throughout the industry and is used by just about every other manufacturer that uses a leather/synthetic combination for their interiors (Audi, Infiniti, etc...)

As for the heated seats - you're right. the passenger seat back is not heated, because it would interfere with the position sensor for the airbag. It's in the manual. As I live in Texas, and don't really care about my passenger seat, I can't go there with you. But there are good reasons for them doing what they did.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
such a dirty birdy

I think the owners manual states that the drivers seat has heating elements in the seat and backrest, the passenger only in the seat. I've never been in the passenger side with the heater on to know for sure.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by teombe
I wasn't fortunate enough to get a brochure, but the website reads "leather-trimmed seats" In general industry speak, this means "not full leather". This terminology is widely accepted throughout the industry and is used by just about every other manufacturer that uses a leather/synthetic combination for their interiors (Audi, Infiniti, etc...)

As for the heated seats - you're right. the passenger seat back is not heated, because it would interfere with the position sensor for the airbag. It's in the manual. As I live in Texas, and don't really care about my passenger seat, I can't go there with you. But there are good reasons for them doing what they did.
Funny I never felt any heat on my back in the driver's seat? I always thought it was just the bottom's on both. Thanks for the clarification guys.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:25 PM
The Voice of Reason

Better than: "100% reprocessed brontosaurus hide and bovine leather"

My sales brochure says "Sport seats with perforated leather-trimmed interior" which I'd conclude means not even the entire seating surfaces, just the perforated center of the seating surfaces.

The brochure does also say "Heated front seats".

I was more unhappy about my Saab's "heated" seats. They never worked, even on the driver's side, as far as I could tell.

As for my passengers, they can walk through the snow if they don't like it.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Advanced

The passenger seat back cannot be heated due to the presence of the airbag sensors in the seat back (the ones that decide if the person weighs enough, or is sitting in the correct position, to deploy the airbags).

I like the fact that the warmers have two modes, high to quickly warm the seat up and low to maintain the temp. The manual even warns not to leave in on high for continual use because it will get too hot.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Not an Ashtray

The heating in the seats is a lot less useful for me without the passenger seat being fully heated. Here, in LA, it doens't often get cold enough for me to want to use my heat. But, it is not unusual for a passenger in my car to want heat. So, I just turn on their seat heater instead. If there entire seat was heated, it would be less of an issue.

As for the leather trim, I understand what all of you are saying. However, how many of you knew exactly which parts of the seats were leather BEFORE you purchased the car. Its hard to tell on a test drive, and I think that information should be very clear in all of the advertising material (including website and brochure).
Old 10-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by darth62
As for the leather trim, I understand what all of you are saying. However, how many of you knew exactly which parts of the seats were leather BEFORE you purchased the car. Its hard to tell on a test drive, and I think that information should be very clear in all of the advertising material (including website and brochure).
I didn't know that before I pick up my car. But once I know every other car are like this (partial leather) I am fine with it. At least I am not the only sucker. :P
Old 10-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Not an Ashtray

But, that is the point. Almost nobody here understood which parts of the car where and where not leather. And, these are probably the most well-informed of all Acura drivers.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The funny thing is that you probably don't want a full leather interior! The "leatherette" will wear considerably better than leather will. The perfect combo would be seat cusion and seat back in leather with sides and bolsters in leatherette.

I can see your point that it may be a little misleading but I guess I've always just known that it wasn't real leather. A lot of people can't tell the difference anyways!
Old 10-08-2003, 04:22 PM

Yes, u do want a full leather interior. On luxury cars, the fake leather part SHOULD BE the sides of the seat and any leather on the back of the seat.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Not an Ashtray

I just want leather on the parts that touch my body.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:30 PM

RIght, it should be the whole front seat. That should all be leather. If just the inserts on the seat (the middle) is leather, then that is kinda misleading.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Not an Ashtray

That is my point exactly.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Photography Nerd

BMW 330 with full leather after only 44,000 miles (not mine):

Old 10-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Not an Ashtray

And how do you think vinyl looks if it is not properly treated over extend periods of time?
Old 10-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And how do you think vinyl looks if it is not properly treated over extend periods of time?
Vinyl will hold up much better but I see your point. Still, I personally don't care about having vinyl as long as the part I sit on is leather. If I wanted great leather on my car I would buy a TL (which I saw today for the first time, great leather quality).
Old 10-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Photography Nerd

Is 1977 old enough for you? From a 320i:

Old 10-08-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Dan Martin
BMW 330 with full leather after only 44,000 miles (not mine):
is this considered normal wear and tear? or was it just not properly maintained? because i've seen some late model 330s and i see the same wear while others are still in excellent condition
Old 10-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by dabuda2004
is this considered normal wear and tear? or was it just not properly maintained? because i've seen some late model 330s and i see the same wear while others are still in excellent condition
This is apparently a little worse than typical but not much off. A lot of people over treat their seats and they become too soft.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Not an Ashtray

The point with the TSX is that you are not sitting completely on leather. Only the peforated sections of the seat are leather. So, if like me, your legs rest on the solid sections, you're sitting on vinyl.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Photography Nerd

The point with the TSX is that you are not sitting completely on leather. Only the peforated sections of the seat are leather. So, if like me, your legs rest on the solid sections, you're sitting on vinyl.
Fair enough. I can see how it's misleading to many people but I don't think it's really that big of an issue. Besides, leather is really costly and the MSRP would be huge if they did the whole seat in leather. It's a $3000 option on the 3er Bimmers.

Personally, I would buy cloth if they offered it. I don't like how slippery leather or vinyl is. The perforations definitely help though.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:13 PM
I am Ahab!

I knew about both things before I bought mine. Not dissapointed in anyway with this car.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Advanced

...this topic has been thrashed out in other threads already, I can tell you with certainty that vinyl, or leatherette, or whatever you want to call fake leather, will outlast any genuine leather unless it is incredibly thick, which would make it not soft and pliable. I have had both and the leather will wear out long before the vinyl will, having the center sections made from leather makes a lot of sense, as the side bolsters are the areas taking the most punishment when sliding in and out of your seats, they are the parts that are made of longer more durable vinyl, or leatherette.

Lorne Miller
Old 10-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Not an Ashtray

So, you really think that Acura does it for purposes of durability, eh? They do it for one reason and one reason only: $.

My family has had lots of autos over the years with leather seats. None of those cars showed significant wear by the time they got traded in (after 80,000 miles or so).

Also, the point of this thread was not to discuss the advantages/disadvantages of vinyl on the seats. My main concern was that I feel some owners have been mislead. When this issue first emerged on this forum, I was suprised to find that most owners didn't even realize that there was vinyl on the seatface.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Photography Nerd

So, you really think that Acura does it for purposes of durability, eh? They do it for one reason and one reason only: $.

My family has had lots of autos over the years with leather seats. None of those cars showed significant wear by the time they got traded in (after 80,000 miles or so).

Also, the point of this thread was not to discuss the advantages/disadvantages of vinyl on the seats. My main concern was that I feel some owners have been mislead. When this issue first emerged on this forum, I was suprised to find that most owners didn't even realize that there was vinyl on the seatface.
I can see where you might be deceived. The web site does mention leather a lot but they don't mention what portions of the seat are covered with leather. The closest thing I could find was this line from the specifications page:
Deeply bolstered front sport seats with perforated leather-trimmed interior To me that means that anything that is perforated leather is real leather. Otherwise I would assume that it is fake.

It's definitely all about the $$$ but I really don't care. I wouldn't want real leather anyways so the extra $$$ it would cost to add it to the standard model would be a waste. I think it would be a good idea if they offered it as an option but I don't know how many takers they would have.

If you are that upset about it you should really write a letter to Acura headquarters. The worst they could do is tell you to bugger off but you might get something out of it.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Drifting

I can see where you might be deceived. The web site does mention leather a lot but they don't mention what portions of the seat are covered with leather. The closest thing I could find was this line from the specifications page:
Deeply bolstered front sport seats with perforated leather-trimmed interior To me that means that anything that is perforated leather is real leather. Otherwise I would assume that it is fake.

It's definitely all about the $$$ but I really don't care. I wouldn't want real leather anyways so the extra $$$ it would cost to add it to the standard model would be a waste. I think it would be a good idea if they offered it as an option but I don't know how many takers they would have.

If you are that upset about it you should really write a letter to Acura headquarters. The worst they could do is tell you to bugger off but you might get something out of it.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Does anyone else here feel misled?
Old 10-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Not an Ashtray

Bugger off, eh? I wrote a paper about the "buffering role of friendship" and the university responded by printing up a brochure listing my research as being about "the buggering influence of friendship"

Talk about unfortunate typos!

Anyway, I won't beat this issue to death. I'm going to write Acura and complain, as you suggest. I don't want anything from them like compensation, I just want them to be more explicit in their advertising.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:43 PM

Well, you can't be too mislead. The car is a 25k entry level luxo car and it is obvious, there is going to be a few things missing. Hell the interior is IMO, fabulous for the price (it shames anything in any current Nissan and most all Infinitis) still. I am an interior junkie and the TSX has the best interior for a 25-30k car. PERIOD.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Photography Nerd

Bugger off, eh? I wrote a paper about the "buffering role of friendship" and the university responded by printing up a brochure listing my research as being about "the buggering influence of friendship"

Talk about unfortunate typos!

Anyway, I won't beat this issue to death. I'm going to write Acura and complain, as you suggest. I don't want anything from them like compensation, I just want them to be more explicit in their advertising.
Good! I hate it when people complain about something but never do anything about it. Acura may not even be aware of the situation so the best thing you could do is write to them.

The fact that your dealer had no idea is completely inexcusable. Acura definitely needs to know about this.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well, you can't be too mislead. The car is a 25k entry level luxo car and it is obvious, there is going to be a few things missing. Hell the interior is IMO, fabulous for the price (it shames anything in any current Nissan and most all Infinitis) still. I am an interior junkie and the TSX has the best interior for a 25-30k car. PERIOD.
What about TSX interior vs. IS300 interior?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:09 PM

The TSX does have the better interior. Better ergonomics and better quality materials, IMO. On the other hand, while the TSX interior looks like an Accord interior, a TL interior, a Avalon interior, a M45 interior, the IS 300 has the most distinct interior of any sedan. It if either LOVE or HATE. The chrono gauges (it takes some used too), the chrome shift knob, the esclaine seats, the contrasting leather piping. Plus the lil armrest is silly and useless, IMO.

So interior TSX>IS 300.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Racer

like TSX a bit better.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:50 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I'll tell you what...I feel more mislead by the desciption of the sound system.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Instructor

I feel a bit cheated that there are quite a lot of mfrs (including MB) I think who only put leather on PART of the seat you sit on.

Leather does require more maintenance than vinyl (which requires basically none) and the longevity of the leather seems to be related to the color. Grey seems to wear especially quickly, black seems to last longer (I've had both).

Heated seats: I'd never pay extra for them as I live in Texas, but they are extremely useful for keeping take out food warm as you drive home.

C.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:53 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by domn
Funny I never felt any heat on my back in the driver's seat? I always thought it was just the bottom's on both. Thanks for the clarification guys.
The back heat is definitely there for the driver and I've also tried out the heat in the passenger seat. Seat-only like the manual says. But they're pretty good heaters. Heats very fast on high and keeps it going on low. (yes, even in FL I use them - great for a tired back)

-r
Old 10-09-2003, 09:04 AM
Cruisin'

Acura talks about their "value pricing". I figure the leather and seat back heat are two of those compormises. Just like no power adjustment on the passenger seat. I think Acura did an excellent job of "bang for the buck".
Bottom line, do you like the car? If not, take it back or sell it and try to get a better valued car for 26K.

Quick Reply: Doesn't anybody else feel mislead by Acura?