Does a TSX have Hydraulic Lifters or Tappets ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does a TSX have Hydraulic Lifters or Tappets ??

I am just about to get my 40,000k service and the dealer wants to charge me $575. I consider this to be way too expensive as all my other service have cost <$150
Part of their reasoning for charging so much is that they have to adjust the tappets.
I thought the TSX had hydraulic lifters. Can anybody confirm or deny.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They don't have hydraulic lifters.

Valve adustment isn't required at any given mileage. You decide to do it when they become noisy.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sauceman
They don't have hydraulic lifters.

Valve adustment isn't required at any given mileage. You decide to do it when they become noisy.
My manual for a 2005 indicates that the valve clearance should be inspected at 110,000 miles. It says "Otherwise adjust only if noisy." Page 194.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Racer

What was the reasoning?

Do anyone know the reasoning, or logic, behind using tappets in the TSX engine rather than hydraulic lifters?

I was convinced that all modern production cars used hydraulic lifters (but my experience has been only with domestic makes) until I got my TSX and discovered otherwise. Hydraulic lifters were considered to be a huge advancement over tappets when they arrived on the scene; no more value noise, no more adjustment of the clearance, no more loss of power due to the gap being too wide and no more burnt values because of no gap (preventing the values for seating). With a proper supply of clean oil, they are usually good for as long as the rest of the engine. And, they are employed in high performance engines by General Motors -- and I believe Ford, as well.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Jim, get over GM.

Hydraulic lifters are needed in GM engines to make otherwise archaic engine structures seem to work like they're contemporary.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Most Honda engines have (and always have had) direct action valve trains. They are simpler, lighter, and have higher rev potential than hydraulic valve trains. A valve adjustment every 110K miles is a small price to pay, especially compared to the costs associated with replacing leaking/collapsed lifters.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Racer

This sure brings back old memories of having to adjust tappets with the engine running, the rockers going up-and-down, and oil splattering everywhere; while most of the oil seemed to end up on the exhaust manifold (V-8 engines). In most cases, you would need three hands, one to hold the wrench on the locking nut, a second to hold the screwdriver to adjust the clearance and another to hold the feeler gauge. It was one of my least desirable maintenance tasks.

Fortunately, on the Acura, you adjust the values with the engine cold and not running. That makes it at least 10 times easier -- and much quicker.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep in mind that the service dept at the stealership just wants to earn your $$. They will often recommend services at different intervals than recommended by Acura. They will tell you something along the lines of "Acura doesn't know what they are talking about, our service intervals are the accurate ones". This is all just to get you to spend more money.
I bet you can read through the posts here and there will be members that will tell you that dealers that have tried to take advantage of them and have them perform services that arent' even close to being do.

I once got a "30,000" service reminder from the stealership that i sometimes take my Accord to. Thing such as adjust timing belt etc...
My accord doesn't even use a belt. It uses a chain. I could've sworn those were maintanence free for the most part. At least for a while.

So... long story short... dont always take the dealers service recommendations seriously. Just follow Acura's recommendation and you'll be fine.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Alin10123
I once got a "30,000" service reminder from the stealership that i sometimes take my Accord to. Thing such as adjust timing belt etc...
My accord doesn't even use a belt. It uses a chain. I could've sworn those were maintanence free for the most part. At least for a while.
What year is your Accord?

If it's pre-2003, it does have a timing belt.