Does anyone get "Check Oil Level" on the MID when taking turns too fast?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone get "Check Oil Level" on the MID when taking turns too fast?

I've had this happen to me a couple of times. When making a sharp 90 degree turn, the MID flashes an orange oil symbol along with "Check oil level".

I pull over and check the oil level immediately and it appears I have enough oil (it's hard to read since oil is splattered all over the High to Low range of the dipstick even if I clean it off and re-insert).
I add some oil, about 1/4 quart to the engine anyway (I have a quart in the trunk).

After driving for a few minutes, the warning on the MID goes away. I thought maybe adding some oil did remedy the issue.

That was last year. A few days ago, this happened again, also during a sharp turn. But this time, it flashed for a couple of seconds and went away immediately.

This is leading me to believe that the sensor that measures oil level somehow is being thrown off when I take a hard turn.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
I have a 2nd gen and this happened to me once when I made a really hard turn, but only for a split second.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's because the oil sloshes around when you turn that hard. Like any fluid, it all ends up on one side so your oil pump looses its feed and thinks you're running the engine without any oil. It imediately throws the CEL becaues we all know how stupid running without oil is. When you finish the turn the oil will return to it's normal place adn the CEL should go away within a mile. Always a good idea to check your oil level regularly though.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
It's because the oil sloshes around when you turn that hard. Like any fluid, it all ends up on one side so your oil pump looses its feed and thinks you're running the engine without any oil. It imediately throws the CEL becaues we all know how stupid running without oil is. When you finish the turn the oil will return to it's normal place adn the CEL should go away within a mile. Always a good idea to check your oil level regularly though.
Yes, I understand the physics behind it.
You would think that it would take hard turns into account. Just wondering if this was a common occurrence or perhaps a bad sensor.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, umm, I noticed it once while playing around. I don't play around as much as some though so only noticed it that once.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I've had this a few times... Check the oil once it's cooled down and it's back in the pan. I noticed it if I lost 1/2 quart or so. When it starts hitting the bottom mark on the stick or just below, you are more prone to see it.

I haven't seen it when the oil is topped properly. I actually find it useful because it will alert you that you have less than optimal oil, even if it isn't below the low mark yet... I would rather it be overly sensitive than not. If you are like me, I tend to forget to check it every other week or so, so I need the gentle reminder... :-)