Do I buy one or not????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 09:45 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I buy one or not????

I'm in the market for a new car--the first one I will purchase completely on my own and I want to make a good decision. I absolutely love the styling of the TSX, but am a little hesitant due to the plethora of rattle/warranty complaints on this site. Is it worth my money? How has your experience been with the dealerships? Are they helpful in fixing the rattles? How predominant are any other problems.... Is it worth the investment?
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Racer

every car will have their own set of problems... comes w/ the territory.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Racer

Re: Do I buy one or not????

Originally posted by cbb8269
I'm in the market for a new car--the first one I will purchase completely on my own and I want to make a good decision. I absolutely love the styling of the TSX, but am a little hesitant due to the plethora of rattle/warranty complaints on this site. Is it worth my money? How has your experience been with the dealerships? Are they helpful in fixing the rattles? How predominant are any other problems.... Is it worth the investment?
Thanks!
Keep in mind that most people here are pretty particular about the condition of their cars and will notice things that others wouldn't. That said I think everyone here, even the people with rattles, will tell you that the TSX is worth the investment...well, except for Buff-Daddy & 93Kewl but they have other problems.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Racer

well, except for Buff-Daddy & 93Kewl but they have other problems.
I do? News to me. Except for a scratch on my tint, no problems whatsoever. No rattles on my baby. All I hear is the stereo an when it's off, the sweet sound of turbo boost! whooosh!

Well, even though I have been lucky so far, it seem that very little cars can escape the issue of rattles. Either you get one that does or doesn't. The TSX seems like it is no exeception.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:35 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Re: Do I buy one or not????

Welcome to acura-tsx.com!

I'm in the market for a new car--the first one I will purchase completely on my own and I want to make a good decision. I absolutely love the styling of the TSX, but am a little hesitant due to the plethora of rattle/warranty complaints on this site. Is it worth my money?
Since you're hesitant, do you have the option of holding off on the purchase for 6 -- 12 months?

How has your experience been with the dealerships? Are they helpful in fixing the rattles? How predominant are any other problems.... Is it worth the investment?
Thanks!
Just a nitpick: I wouldn't use the term "investment" in describing most car purchases.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:14 AM
More On

Re: Re: Do I buy one or not????

Originally posted by dnb
......Just a nitpick: I wouldn't use the term "investment" in describing most car purchases.
Boy, this dude is tough!

I say even if it's not an investment, it's still an "investment."
Old 09-19-2003, 11:18 AM
3rd Gear

Unhappy

Ok kids, no need to be rude. I was just looking for some help. Thanks to those of you who have actually provided some helpful feedback.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Do I buy one or not????

Originally posted by Santacruz
That said I think everyone here, even the people with rattles, will tell you that the TSX is worth the investment...well, except for Buff-Daddy & 93Kewl but they have other problems.
The only problems and noise I have with my BMW are the following:

I have problems keeping people away from it.
I have problems with people staring at me all of the time.
I have problems with my friends wanting to drive it every day.
I have problems keeping it under the speed limit
And I have problems with not being able to spin out of control with the all-wheel-drive system in place.

There is also a lot of noise coming form people asking me about my car, shouting compliments at me like, "Sweet Ride" and "I love those rims". It is a lot to deal with, but like Santalose was saying, I think it was worth the investment.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: Do I buy one or not????

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy

And I have problems with not being able to spin out of control with the all-wheel-drive system in place.

There is also a lot of noise coming form people asking me about my car, shouting compliments at me like, "Sweet Ride" and "I love those rims". It is a lot to deal with, but like Santalose was saying, I think it was worth the investment.

:pee:
Old 09-19-2003, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup i have the same problems except not being able to spin out of control. thankfully i dont have any "I love those rims" comments
Old 09-19-2003, 12:06 PM
More On

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do I buy one or not????

Originally posted by dabuda2004
yup i have the same problems except not being able to spin out of control......
Actually you DO have that "problem" too. Buff was being a wise-guy -- you know, he can't spin out of control even if he tries, get it?

Our dudes are big on crypticism.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Racer

:pee:
Old 09-19-2003, 12:40 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do I buy one or not????

Originally posted by larchmont
Our dudes are big on crypticism.

(Crypticism indeed.)
Old 09-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my TSX. It is great looking, really comfortable inside, and handles and accelerates well. I think the ride is a little stiff, and the brakes need to be improved. But, I would definitely buy it again.

However, if I was on the market today, I would wait a month to see the new TL. That vehicle looks like it will offer all the advantages of the TSX along with more power, a smoother ride, and more features. Of course, it will also cost more, but it may be worth it. I'd wait for the TL, and then pick between the two.

And, btw, I am 100% rattle free and have not had a single problem with the car, in the five months I have owned it.

A final comment on the various complaints you see on this site: go to freshalloy (nissan enthusiast site), audiworld.com, .com, vwvortex, etc, and see if you don't see the same issues. First, people tend to post when they have problems. Second, car enthusiasts are a very demanding, very detailed focused group. And, in regard to this particular site, you've got an unusally well-informed knowledgable group. If they don't pick up problems, nobody will.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:41 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I believe most of that but I dont think I believe your getting stares or people yelling "sweet ride". I dont know how things are over where you live but here in Toronto BMW's are extremely popular. They clutter the roads and I wouldnt look twice if I saw one drive by, especially a 325. (And thats coming from a guy who love the way BMW's look ... minus the new 5).
Old 09-19-2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by larchmont
Actually you DO have that "problem" too. Buff was being a wise-guy -- you know, he can't spin out of control even if he tries, get it? ...
you mean he can't spin out of control if he tries because if he's trying to spin out of control he is in control, so he's not really spinning out of control but if he doen't try then he can spin out of control

oh boi...i'm spewing larch slang...time to go drive my tsx
Old 09-19-2003, 02:31 PM
anti-dentite bastard

I was in the market for a new car a couple weeks ago, and I had researched all the cars in the 20k-30k price range pretty extensively. I ended up not getting the tsx, but I can tell you that if your only reasons holding you back from it are the complaints about buzzing/rattles on this site, then you should go ahead and get it, because trust me, if that's the worst problem a car has, it's a great car - most other cars will have these problems, plus a lot more. As far as the warranty/dealer experiences go, I'm guessing this is really more of a dealer-by-dealer situation, and if you find that your dealer seems competent, don't let others' bad dealer experiences turn you the wrong way...all car brands have good dealers and bad dealers. One thing that I would check out though, because it was one of the last things I did and it was somewhat surprising and it had an impact on my buying decision, is to check with your insurance company about the rates for the various cars you're interested in. I found that the tsx was actually significantly more expensive to insure than several of the other cars I was looking at. It might be different for you, depending on your company and your demographic, but for me at least, the extra insurance costs turned a good value car into not such a good value. Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old 09-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It tends to be the case that vehicles that have yet to be crash tested are very expensive to insure. The rates on the TSX will probably decline once it has demonstrated that it is crash worthy. Also, the TL and RSX both had high claims-per-vehicle. If that doesn't turn out to be the case with the TSX, it won't be as expensive to insure.

As far as dealer experience is concerned, I think Acura dealers tend to be fairly arrogant and a lot less customer-oriented then Lexus or Infiniti (yeah, I know I am opening myself up for flames here, but this is what I believe). I have been driving Honda products for a long time, so obviously I am happy with the ownership experience. But, I've never been thrilled with the dealers for either Acura or Honda.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:07 PM
3rd Gear

wishiwere

wishiwere,
What vehicle did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking? I'm considering several differerent models, all in the relatively same price range. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Racer

Re: wishiwere

wishiwere,
What vehicle did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking? I'm considering several differerent models, all in the relatively same price range. Thanks.
I'l bet it was the Honda Accord...
Old 09-19-2003, 03:26 PM
anti-dentite bastard

Re: wishiwere

wishiwere,
I got a 2003 Saab 93 Arc. The msrp was a lot higher (it was $35,155), but with the rebates being offered, and with them making room for hte '04s, i got a great deal on it, bringing it down to close to the price of a tsx (about $2700 more than the lowest price I could find on a tsx), but with a lot more features and power. Plus, the Saab had the lowest insurance rate of any car I checked out (and I mean any car...lower than a civic, and accord, a bmw, anything....I think it's a combination of the tons of safety features on the Saab, as well as the fact that they are very low profile, low theft rate cars). If I didn't get the Saab, it was probably going to be between the tsx and an audi a4. I was also looking at a Lexus IS300, an Infiniti g35 coupe (dreaming..), the Mazda6, and the accord coupe. I absolutely love my Saab, but to be honest, I'm sure I would have been thrilled with any of these cars, each for their own reasons. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (this was my first new car purchase, and the first car I've bought by myself, so it was a big deal to me as well).
Old 09-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Racer

Re: Re: wishiwere

Originally posted by wishiwere
I got a 2003 Saab 93 Arc. The msrp was a lot higher (it was $35,155), but with the rebates being offered, and with them making room for hte '04s, i got a great deal on it, bringing it down to close to the price of a tsx (about $2700 more than the lowest price I could find on a tsx), but with a lot more features and power. Plus, the Saab had the lowest insurance rate of any car I checked out (and I mean any car...lower than a civic, and accord, a bmw, anything....I think it's a combination of the tons of safety features on the Saab, as well as the fact that they are very low profile, low theft rate cars). If I didn't get the Saab, it was probably going to be between the tsx and an audi a4. I was also looking at a Lexus IS300, an Infiniti g35 coupe (dreaming..), the Mazda6, and the accord coupe. I absolutely love my Saab, but to be honest, I'm sure I would have been thrilled with any of these cars, each for their own reasons. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (this was my first new car purchase, and the first car I've bought by myself, so it was a big deal to me as well).

damn...i lose.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:31 PM
anti-dentite bastard

I'l bet it was the Honda Accord...
Interesting...I'm curious why you thought that? Actually, the first car I ever drove/had was a 1987 Honda Accord Lxi. I loved that car, but had to sell it when I went to college (and it was breaking down all the time by then). Ever since then, I always thought that the first car I'd buy out of college would be an accord. I loved the coupe design of the previous generation, but was always annoyed that you couldn't get an MT with the V6. When the newest generation accords came out, I was disappointed to say the least. From some angles I like htey way they look, but from most angles, I really don't (especially the front grill...something about it just rubs me the wrong way). So, if they hadn't screwed up the design of the accord, you'd be right in your guess....but, as fate would have it, they did, and now I'm driving a Saab.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally posted by fdl
I believe most of that but I dont think I believe your getting stares or people yelling "sweet ride". I dont know how things are over where you live but here in Toronto BMW's are extremely popular. They clutter the roads and I wouldnt look twice if I saw one drive by, especially a 325. (And thats coming from a guy who love the way BMW's look ... minus the new 5).
I think I see more BMW's on the roads here in Toronto than I do Honda Civic's. Seriously the things are all over the place. The only time I ever look twice when I see a BMW is if its either a 330Ci, M3 or M5.

I have no choice but to look away when I see a 7 series or a Z4 as I risk being blinded by their sheer ugliness
Old 09-19-2003, 04:46 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by wishiwere
I got a 2003 Saab 93 Arc.
The 210 hp 2.0T one with this torque/hp curve?

Nice!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Audi Driving Snob

So did you guys ever see that R&T article where the TSX whooped on the 9-3 arc acceleration and handling wise? I'm just messin with ya... they two are probably very comparable on full out acceleration but that fat torque from the turbo would be nice for cruising. I think saabs are nice cars and if I knew about the huge incentives I may have looked at them...

btw I think rb1 has officially become my 'nemesis'
Old 09-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by domn
The only time I ever look twice when I see a BMW is if its either a 330Ci, M3 or M5.
Or an M Coupe, right?

<vbg>.

Anyway, for the original poster, unless you consider yourself exceedingly sensitive to rattles then you should go for the TSX if that's your only reservation.

Also, do take Darth62's comment into account about lists like these representing a skewed view of problems. Some people on lists seem to sign up only to whine and bitch, and you don't get a balanced picture. I'm not talking about this list particularly, I'm thinking more a Mercedes list I was on for a while (considering a CLK 430) and some of the BMW lists I've been on over the years.

C.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TinkySD
.....btw I think rb1 has officially become my 'nemesis'
Just hit him with the "TSX makes peak torque at 2800 RPM". The chart he posted has peak torque at something like 3200. I'm actually thinking of putting that in MY sig, now.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Just hit him with the "TSX makes peak torque at 2800 RPM". I'm actually thinking of putting that in MY sig, now.
It's 2700 dammit!!

C.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:32 PM
anti-dentite bastard

So did you guys ever see that R&T article where the TSX whooped on the 9-3 arc acceleration and handling wise? I'm just messin with ya... they two are probably very comparable on full out acceleration but that fat torque from the turbo would be nice for cruising. I think saabs are nice cars and if I knew about the huge incentives I may have looked at them...
Haha...yeah, that was a great article. Did you read the one in Automobile where the tsx clearly trounced all competition in a runaway victory? It might be interesting to discuss these results as well

Actually, I when I test drove the tsx, I was impressed with the acceleration and composure. I did find the high pitch sound of being at such high rpm's to be a bit annoying, although there's no denying hitting 7k is a cool feeling. I have no clue if the 93 is really faster or slower than the tsx, nor do I really care. They are both quick enough for me, and it really wasn't the deciding factor. I do enjoy the low-end grunt of the turbo(the push-you-back-in-your-seat feeling), and if I had to choose solely between a bigger low end or a higher high end, I think I would choose the low end, but like I said, both were more than adequate for me (I'm coming off an 87 buick century with an old-man column shifter), so the difference in the end to me came down to the greater amount of luxury features in the 93, the exterior looks (I like the way the tsx looks, but I think they were too conservative, especially in the front...and, why oh why must they make the fogs a dealer option? It really looks like something is missing when there are no fogs in those vast black rectangles...the 93 on the other hand... ), and the insurance (have I mentioned the insurance factor before? ).
Old 09-19-2003, 05:34 PM
anti-dentite bastard

Just hit him with the "TSX makes peak torque at 2800 RPM". The chart he posted has peak torque at something like 3200. I'm actually thinking of putting that in MY sig, now.
Well, it's not like it takes much time/effort to get up to 166ft./lb, now does it?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Audi Driving Snob

it's 180! or at least 175..... lol.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:11 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Go right ahead. Saab 2.0T engine specification is 221 lb/ft @ 2500 RPM.

(2002+ 1.8T owners can put 174 lb-ft @ 1950-5000 RPM in their sig... )
Old 09-19-2003, 08:48 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

btw I think rb1 has officially become my 'nemesis'
Aw, Tinky. After everything we have been through together...
Old 09-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by rb1
Aw, Tinky. After everything we have been through together...
I'm just playin' man... gotta have some sane voices around here to temper the tsx zeal
Old 09-24-2003, 09:44 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

I'm just playin' man... gotta have some sane voices around here to temper the tsx zeal
Since I now get to play the part of your nemesis, how do like my new avatar?
Old 09-24-2003, 09:56 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by rb1
Since I now get to play the part of your nemesis, how do like my new avatar?
To complete your change, you should revise the text above your avatar to read "the anti-TinkySD" or "the anti-Administrator".
Old 09-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Pro

every car has slight imperfections, probably unless you spend $100k. Rattles are only at a certain bass tone. Just turn the music louder..... but I know that can't always be the case. Some dealers have offered to install and pay for the dynomat. Other than rattles (which is seriously a minor thing to the rest of the car), it's a great car!!! This is my first car I purchased also.