Dension Ice>link in 05 w/ NAV

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dension Ice>link in 05 w/ NAV

I've been doing some reading on the Dension Ice>link for iPods. For those that have one in a NAV equipped TSX, just wondering if the iPod menu displays on the NAV screen and if I can control the iPod with our factory stereo and steering wheel. Is there any other iPod connector that can do this?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Toms TeeSX
just wondering if the iPod menu displays on the NAV screen

I can control the iPod with our factory stereo and steering wheel.

Is there any other iPod connector that can do this?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Advanced

I've been doing some reading on the Dension Ice>link for iPods. For those that have one in a NAV equipped TSX, just wondering if the iPod menu displays on the NAV screen and if I can control the iPod with our factory stereo and steering wheel. Is there any other iPod connector that can do this?
It will show up where ever the tracks usually show, it will not show the names of the songs however.

Yes, you can control the the ipod with the factory stero and steering wheels but u cannot use the controls on the ipod while plugged in (for safety purposes).

I have been using the dension icelink since August and it works perfectly fine, the only problem is sometimes you have to reset the ipod before plugging it in to the icelink, and I do not mean reset as in deleting everything on the ipod.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:34 AM
Advanced

Does your XM still work, or do you have to disconnect?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jfbradley
Does your XM still work, or do you have to disconnect?
It must be disconnected.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nnh768
It will show up where ever the tracks usually show, it will not show the names of the songs however.

Yes, you can control the the ipod with the factory stero and steering wheels but u cannot use the controls on the ipod while plugged in (for safety purposes).

I have been using the dension icelink since August and it works perfectly fine, the only problem is sometimes you have to reset the ipod before plugging it in to the icelink, and I do not mean reset as in deleting everything on the ipod.
I'm not too worried about it being displayed on the NAV cuz the map is usually displayed.
However, what can I control with the NAV stereo and steering wheel? I've read the stereo controls the iPod, but is it the same with the NAV stereo?Would greatly appreciate it if you listed what buttons on the NAV stereo controls what on the iPod, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Persuit of twin turbo

I'm still at conflict on what ipod connection to get. I had the Dension in my BMW and now I think I might want it for the TSX too, but others have suggestions some Honda hookup....
Old 03-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
I'm still at conflict on what ipod connection to get. I had the Dension in my BMW and now I think I might want it for the TSX too, but others have suggestions some Honda hookup....
I heard some said that the honda hookup (ipod music link) doesn't work very well, i saw a thread around here some time ago about it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...pod+music+link
Old 03-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced

I'm not too worried about it being displayed on the NAV cuz the map is usually displayed.
However, what can I control with the NAV stereo and steering wheel? I've read the stereo controls the iPod, but is it the same with the NAV stereo?Would greatly appreciate it if you listed what buttons on the NAV stereo controls what on the iPod, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

I don't have navi on my tsx but i think it should be the same. On mine, i just press the "6" button on the stereo, on the navi i think the "6" is on the touch screen dispaly. By pressing the "6" it scrolls through all the playlists you put into the ipod, i think you can see five playlists at most and on the 6th press it goes to the icelink menu, from there you can choose options. I'm away from my tsx right now in college, so i don't remember what to press after you enter the options menu, i think it's in the manual that comes with the icelink, i just experimented until something came up. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Instructor

I don't have navi on my tsx but i think it should be the same. On mine, i just press the "6" button on the stereo, on the navi i think the "6" is on the touch screen dispaly. By pressing the "6" it scrolls through all the playlists you put into the ipod, i think you can see five playlists at most and on the 6th press it goes to the icelink menu, from there you can choose options. I'm away from my tsx right now in college, so i don't remember what to press after you enter the options menu, i think it's in the manual that comes with the icelink, i just experimented until something came up. Hope this helps.
Thanks, sounds good. So I'm guessing when since I'm pressing 6 on the NAV screen, the playlist won't appear on the screen.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Thanks, sounds good. So I'm guessing when since I'm pressing 6 on the NAV screen, the playlist won't appear on the screen.

nope just the the playlist number in the order you put them in the ipod. So basically when you're playing a song it will show two numbers, the first one is the playlist number and the second is the track number.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Cruisin'

You can also change the options to allow you to use iPod user interface while plugged in.

It must be disconnected.
You can set it up where you do not have to disconnect the XM. I have mine set up that way. All you need to do is use a Y connector, and switch out the sound wires comeing from the iPod when playing XM. If you want more info I can post it.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dsmoot
You can also change the options to allow you to use iPod user interface while plugged in.

You can set it up where you do not have to disconnect the XM. I have mine set up that way. All you need to do is use a Y connector, and switch out the sound wires comeing from the iPod when playing XM. If you want more info I can post it.
i'd like more info on how you can have XM and the dension ipod hookup.
i have XM subscription, and would hate to lose that for an ipod connection. let me know. thanks.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Cruisin'

I used the Y harness and diagram on this site: http://home.comcast.net/~x3ms1/

You cant use the Y harness directly, because the iPod will interfere with the XM sound. So you need to switch the 4 audio wires coming from the ipod. This is done by using a 4 pole double throw relay, and switching the power to that relay by placing a switch somewhere in the car. The website above places the switch in the center console. I put mine in the dash next to the VSA switch.

My only modification, was to switch the positive wire (pin 1) instead of the negative (pin 11). By doing this it allows you to use a switch that has an LED in it so you can easily tell which setting its on.

Another modification that I might make in the future is to have the relay do a full switch between the sound wires for BOTH the iPod and XM. THis would make sure there is no interference (not that I can hear any right now).