Demo vs "New Car" on lot

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 AM
pby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demo vs "New Car" on lot

I was wondering if there is a difference between what most people know as a demo car and one that has been on the lot for some time?

The reason I ask is that I have test-driven cars that still had the white protective wrapping. While I never accelerate hard on a test drive, I am sure there are plenty of a-holes who do that every time they get in.

Long rant short, would even [for example] 10 miles on the odometer indicate that the car was test driven. And if so, would you not pay a bit more and get a non-ho?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 AM
cmf
ATCer

I think most cars probably have about 3-6 miles on em before they even arrive at the dealership. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car w/ 10 miles on it. 50-100 miles is a different story though.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Demo's are abused in ways you wouldn't imagine. 1,000 demo miles is like 50,000 of conventional driving. 10 miles is no problem.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin

Demo's are abused in ways you wouldn't imagine. 1,000 demo miles is like 50,000 of conventional driving. 10 miles is no problem.
I'm one of those people who abuses demos like you wouldn't believe. But I figure if I don't, how am I going to know how well the car really drives?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I'm one of those people who abuses demos like you wouldn't believe. But I figure if I don't, how am I going to know how well the car really drives?
I abused the hell out of the demo I drove. I bounced it off the rev limiter from 1st through 3rd on my test drive.
I wasn't really used to how fast the engine revved because I was coming from a Golf with a 5800rpm red line.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
demo cars are usually driven by employees to run errands...take home...etc. and of course abusive test drives
Old 12-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I abused the hell out of the demo I drove. I bounced it off the rev limiter from 1st through 3rd on my test drive.
I wasn't really used to how fast the engine revved because I was coming from a Golf with a 5800rpm red line.
Hehe...you shoulda seen the salesman with me when I test drove the TSX for the first time...

...he was like he had just seen a ghost.

It probably tipped him off too when I told him he might want to make sure his seat belt is fastened.

I've had some other interesting test-driving experiences, like a recent one when I test drove a slightly used 350Z Track model. I beat on that thing like you wouldn't believe, sliding it around corners and doing a couple of smoky launches. Funny thing was the salesguy was totally having a great time. I love it when sales people let you abuse their cars.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pby
.....While I never accelerate hard on a test drive, I am sure there are plenty of a-holes who do that every time they get in....
<----- a-hole

My salesman encouraged me to beat on the car. He said "That's what the demos are for! How will you know if you like the car unless you test it under all conditions?" I just said and had fun.

If you check my TSX loaner car thread, you'll see that I beat on that one, too. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy a demo car. And while it's not the BEST idea to get a car that's been sitting on a lot for months (if you have the choice), ten miles on the odo won't hurt you no matter how they were run.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 PM
pby
Instructor

Buncha a-holes.

I'm expecting a loaner next week when I get my oil change/rattle/shaking/safety recall and what not. Damn, there is so much wrong with my TSX that I should demand a DVD update.

Guess I'll take my frustrations out on the loaner. hehe
Old 12-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Race Director

, i drove it kinda hard i guess. But not the way you guys say.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Drove mine kinda hard too I guess, never hit redline but I did knife through traffic on the freeway a little more than usual

Speaking of demo cars, I noticed on my demo car (the one they refuse to sell btw), that the brushed titanium/aluminum looking panelling also ran down the inside of the center console and gearshift area too (besides horizontally along front of dash).

After ordering/signing/waiting/and receiving my car (they had none on the lot besides the demo) I mentioned to the sales guy that this part of the interior panelling was missing. The two doors in the center compartment, the "ashtray", and the area around the gearshift panel were all black. He responded by saying that this wasn't part of the car normally and they also don't offer it in the list of options. When I asked him why the demo had he simply shrugged. I felt a little jipped by this but, got over it quickly enough.

Just curious if anyone else has ever see this before?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Instructor

this is an upgrade, cost about $250 for the parts, i personally don't like it, I like the black with the subtle silver, not all around like the TL.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NorCal
...Just curious if anyone else has ever see this before?
Dealers usually try to put all the options on their demo cars just so people can at least see what they look like, and so that they'll want to order them for their own cars (like you). The demo I drove had:

body kit
spoiler
moonroof deflector
extra wood kit (like what you described, but for parchment interior)
wood steering wheel
"silver star" (gunmetal) wheels
all season floormats
trunk tray

I think the extra plaluminum trim is a little too much, but it can be had if you've got the dough...
Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pby
I was wondering if there is a difference between what most people know as a demo car and one that has been on the lot for some time?

The reason I ask is that I have test-driven cars that still had the white protective wrapping. While I never accelerate hard on a test drive, I am sure there are plenty of a-holes who do that every time they get in.

Long rant short, would even [for example] 10 miles on the odometer indicate that the car was test driven. And if so, would you not pay a bit more and get a non-ho?
Hey i'm that asshole that accelerates hard on a test drive. I wanted to see what it could do because when i get the car i wont be able to do it for some time because of the break in period
Old 12-10-2004, 11:25 PM
bleh...

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Old 12-11-2004, 12:50 AM
WDP Is Faster

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
<----- a-hole

My salesman encouraged me to beat on the car. He said "That's what the demos are for! How will you know if you like the car unless you test it under all conditions?" I just said and had fun.

If you check my TSX loaner car thread, you'll see that I beat on that one, too. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy a demo car. And while it's not the BEST idea to get a car that's been sitting on a lot for months (if you have the choice), ten miles on the odo won't hurt you no matter how they were run.
I agree. My dad never buys any used car or pre-driven cars from the lot. He doesn't accept any car over 3 miles mainly because of what people do with the "demo cars." There are too many people who abuse this system all the time. I'm not saying it's wrong to push the cars on the test drive..but doing it over and over again is kinda too much dont' you think? I could see turning corners fast and accelerating off the line or from the roll. But, doing it each and every time you get that opportunity is pretty useless unless you just wanted to abuse the car. My advice..ask the dealer the maximum miles that's gonna be on the car before you take it back home to yourself. My dad asked the dealer and 3 miles was the max for my dad's purchases. Anything above wasn't gonna be taken home.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me too...I'm one of those A-holes...

When I test drive a car I get a Sleg-Hammer and take out the head lights and rear lights. Then I dent the rims and smash the hood. Then while driving it I put it in first and redline it through the whole test. I break hard and steer fast. Sometimes I like to bump into walls or other cars with the demo to see how the 8mph bumpers hold up. If they dont fall off its a plus.

Now after all that I can tell if its a good car or not!
Old 12-11-2004, 02:07 AM
WDP Is Faster

haha
Old 12-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Instructor

mine had 3mi on the odo and had come into the dealer the previous night. that should give you some frame of reference.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Mine had 15 miles on it but I'm not at all worried......
Old 12-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Racer

there are a lot of assholes here, and i guess im one of them. i test drove the tsx with a couple friends, and one of them said, "floor the biatch," so i did. u gotta hear the engine growl before you purchase it, rite?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Powered by Honda

When I test drive a car I get a Sleg-Hammer and take out the head lights and rear lights. Then I dent the rims and smash the hood. Then while driving it I put it in first and redline it through the whole test. I break hard and steer fast. Sometimes I like to bump into walls or other cars with the demo to see how the 8mph bumpers hold up. If they dont fall off its a plus.

so you bump into walls with demo cars huh
Old 12-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by pby

I'm one of those assholes too. When I testdrove the TSX it had 100 some miles already. Straight onto the highway I beat that car up. It's not like I don't do that now to my car, but the fact is that to get a feel for the car I think you have to "drive" it. In other words, if a testdrive car has over 50 miles on it, don't buy it. My friend bought a RSX with 2000 miles on it and it needed a new clutch at around 18,000 miles.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:40 PM
pby
Instructor

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
My friend bought a RSX with 2000 miles on it and it needed a new clutch at around 18,000 miles.
Hope he paid Waaaay below invoice.

Dealers .... meh.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:45 PM
10th Gear

I think the original issue of ‘demo or “new car” on the lot’ is being lost here. I too had an Acura test-drive a few months ago where the car (a TL actually) was on the lot with the seal wrapping in place. I wanted to test-drive a manual, and the available demo(s) were automatic. I remember the salesman ripping some of the wrapping, I think while throwing a license plate case into the trunk. It seemed a little like a ‘break and enter’, but I was basically oblivious… I was focused on my upcoming test drive.

This use for a test-drive seems to blur the distinction between a ‘demo car’ and a ‘new, not-ever-a-demo car’. For the buyer to have to guess the car's history based on the odometer mileage seems unfair. A car is (was) a demo car or it isn’t. I doubt that the car I test-drove that day, then immediately became the dealer’s TL 6MT demo car.

As an aside, I personally am not one to push a car to it’s limits, but that TL test drive actually helped lead me to ordering a 2005 TSX a while later. I had been set on ‘graduating’ from a four-cylinder car. As I was on the test drive route and was coming out of the side street area and back onto the wide, commercial road approaching the dealership, I shifted into 3rd and gave it a moderate amount of throttle…the TL took off like no car I had ever driven, I was pressed back in the seat. I then needed to hit the brakes some to turn into the lot. I was jerked forward. The salesman smiled and looked at me as if to say ‘How’d you like that’. I nodded, but afterward was thinking that I am a conservative driver, by no means a lead foot, but I like driving freely and actively. I don’t want to be concerned about pussy-footing around the pedals when just driving around. Of course, I might have eventually gotten used to that very easy, quick power feeling with the TL
Old 12-14-2004, 10:19 PM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Originally Posted by Powered by Honda

a kindred spirit. I like to try and take off in third or fourth gear with as little gas as possible. Then I floor it once I'm going and see if I can find reverse. It's real good to keep your hand on the shifter the whole time, applying pressure to the stick. And don't worry about the stupid clutch! Modern cars don't really need a cluthc to shift.

When I open the door to get in or out, I push it all the way open and then some, cranking hard against the hinges to see if maybe the car is "made poorly" , which can be indicated by bent metal at the leading edge of the door when you do this test. Also, slam the hood, the trunk and the doors as hard as you can when closing them to check for rattles. Also good for rattles is to keep the key turned in the ignition after starting: bad cars make this grinding sound after about a minute or two. It's real important to abuse the crap out of something and then discard it as "the next guy's problem". Can I borrow your car?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Advanced

In all seriousness, a test drive is just that: a test!! You should drive it hard(er) than normal, that way you get a feel for the quickness, the responsiveness, and the general handling. But then, these are also reasons why you should NEVER buy a demo...At least, I wouldn't...but then, I don't do used either
Old 12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes