Demand Drop with New TL?/MSM 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 12:48 PM
'04 MSM/Auto/No Nav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demand Drop with New TL?/MSM 6spd

Curious what the opinion is here on whether the demand for the TSX will drop once the new 04 TL is in the showroom? My head says no, as these are marketed towards different segments of the population, but my heart hopes yes, as this will give me a better chance of finding an MSM 6spd no Navi at the end of the year...

Which leads me to this: I've been calling around local dealers (I live in Los Angeles) and it seems 6 spds are rare, and a 6 spd in Meteor Silver is like the rarest thing around. It's almost like this configuration doesn't exist or something? Anyone own this config or ever see one in SoCal? Curious...

Regards,
Ryan C.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:30 PM
Advanced

That's actually why I'm waitng a month to start buying a TSX, I'm hoping people will be lured to the TL and the demand will drop for the TSX. I thought the Charcoal gray one was the most popular, seems like everyone here wants that color. when i do go shopping, I will also be looking for the Meteor silver but with automatic. i will let you know if I happen to find a 6spd down here.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:43 PM
More On

It's all just guesswork, and IMHO it would be a mistake for anyone to base any current strategy on what they think they can figure out about this in advance.

My guess would be -- no, the interest level will increase on Acura in general, and especially Acura's "new" products -- which still very much includes TSX.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by larchmont
....My guess would be -- no, the interest level will increase on Acura in general, and especially Acura's "new" products -- which still very much includes TSX.
I agree. The more people buy the TSX, the more people will see them (who might not have known about the car previously), and the more will want them....and so it goes until the car's not new to the marketplace anymore.

I don't really think the TL release will affect demand that much. Just be glad you don't want navi. That makes it even more of a wait. My advice: put down the deposit now (if you're sure you'd like to own the TSX). You can always cancel it and get your money refunded if you decide on something else.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Instructor

No offense, but MSM is a color that seems more popular among those of the fairer sex. Given that most women I know prefer automatics, then Honda/Acura may have made the decision to ship few MSM sticks to the States. $0.02.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:01 PM
More On

Originally posted by id888
No offense, but MSM is a color that seems more popular among those of the fairer sex......
BTW -- IMHO nobody should worry about that. Even assuming it's true (as it may well be), it's not a chick color. Haven't seen one in person yet, but from what I can tell it kicks major butt.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:07 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW -- IMHO nobody should worry about that. Even assuming it's true (as it may well be), it's not a chick color. Haven't seen one in person yet, but from what I can tell it kicks major butt.
Every color on the TSX is a chick color.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Chicks like my color, too....
Old 09-22-2003, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Demand will not change much, if anything it may go up in that I have a few clients waiting for pricing on the new TL. if it is beyond there budget they will opt for the TSX. Many TL customers have already seen ,driven and ruled out the TSX. Even colors like artic blue sell quick. They are out there, We sold one back in may. Of the six MSM I have sold 5 have been to women. FWIW.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think TSX demand will go UP when the new TL arrives. The TL looks to be a great car, which means more showroom traffic. Some of those folks are gonna test-drive a TSX and discover they don't need 6 cylinders.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:52 AM
Racer

I agree, I think demand will go up just because of increased showroom traffic and the $8-10k spread that will be harder for some people to swallow.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:28 PM
6th Gear

I've come across several AT MSM TSX's at dealerships in the Valley. I've been told that production of the 6MT is extremely limited, though, so that may explain the difficulty you've been having. You might try contacting the Internet departments at some of the Acura dealerships in the Los Angeles area using the Internet price request feature through edmunds.com. This is probably the most efficiency way of finding out if anyone has what you're looking for in stock, or getting an estimate of how long a factory order will take. (From what I've seen, most dealers place their orders during the first part of the month with the cars arriving about 6 weeks later.) It seems odd, but at least two Acura dealers told me that while they can "request" a specific color combination and configuration, there's no guarantee that the factor will actuall ship that particular car when filling the dealer's order. I was originally intersted in CG/ebony 6MT with nav, for example, but was told that the chances of actually getting one from the factor, despite the dealer's request, were pretty slim. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Bear Trap
I agree, I think demand will go up just because of increased showroom traffic and the $8-10k spread that will be harder for some people to swallow.
I think this is going to be the trend. If a person is interested in style but wants to save a few thousand $'s the TSX is a great switch car.

We have been out of TSX's for weeks and are pre-selling again. I take that back we do have 3 reds but 2 are drivers and the other is on the showroom. Red is not selling well here. The TSX is going to stay at or close to MSRP. Just my prediction.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:52 AM
10th Gear

I agree with most of you here when you guys say that the demand for the TSX will increase due to increased traffic in the showroom.. b/c that's how I ended up buying the TSX.. lol

I was there to check out the 04 TL and I was taken away by the interior, but the TSX was right next door calling my name. The lower price took me, so I'm set! My car (silver w/navi) is being shipped from Japan as we speak. I can't wait much longer!!!
Old 10-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Racer

I just visited my local Acura dealer yesterday to look at the new TL and the salesman told me they have a 30 day wait on TSXs now. When I bought mine in June, they had inventory and were discounting them $1k. I guess those days are over. I'm glad I got mine when I did.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:49 PM
More On

Originally posted by Leeno
I agree with most of you here when you guys say that the demand for the TSX will increase due to increased traffic in the showroom.. b/c that's how I ended up buying the TSX.. lol

I was there to check out the 04 TL and I was taken away by the interior, but the TSX was right next door calling my name. The lower price took me, so I'm set! My car (silver w/navi) is being shipped from Japan as we speak. I can't wait much longer!!!
Welcome Leeno, and nice post.

I'm pretty sure this is the first such story we've heard. Pretty sure we can look for a lot more.

I'm a former TL-S owner who traded it in for the TSX. I've been waiting eagerly for the new TL, not because I thought it was likely I'd want to get it (since I love the TSX so much) -- mostly curiosity, and scouting it for the future. And, as I said elsewhere, I found that I truly still prefer the TSX, even without regard to the price difference. I wouldn't trade the TSX even-up for a new TL. I might be a minority of 1, but it's the truth.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Racer

...And, as I said elsewhere, I found that I truly still prefer the TSX, even without regard to the price difference. I wouldn't trade the TSX even-up for a new TL. I might be a minority of 1, but it's the truth.
That makes 2 of us!

Old 10-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Racer

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
That makes 2 of us!
Make it three!
Old 10-05-2003, 01:28 PM
More On

Originally posted by Bear Trap
Make it three!
Hmmmm...... Maybe we'll want to risk having a poll on this?

On second thought.......
Old 10-05-2003, 11:21 PM
10th Gear

Welcome Leeno, and nice post.

I'm pretty sure this is the first such story we've heard. Pretty sure we can look for a lot more.

I'm a former TL-S owner who traded it in for the TSX. I've been waiting eagerly for the new TL, not because I thought it was likely I'd want to get it (since I love the TSX so much) -- mostly curiosity, and scouting it for the future. And, as I said elsewhere, I found that I truly still prefer the TSX, even without regard to the price difference. I wouldn't trade the TSX even-up for a new TL. I might be a minority of 1, but it's the truth.
Thanks for the warm welcome. This place is a lot friendlier than is300.net..
Old 10-06-2003, 01:11 AM
More On

Originally posted by Leeno
Thanks for the warm welcome. This place is a lot friendlier than is300.net..
Yeah, we're still trying to figure out stuff like this. Or I should say, I'm working on it, dunno if anybody else is.

Besides chance, I do think it's something about the car and what kind of people it attracts. Adventurous and a bit aggressive, seasoned with somewhat more thoughtfulness and sensitivity than you find in the audiences of most similar cars.

Self-serving, yes -- but possibly true.

P.S. Mild apologies to the several thousand cars that I just offended.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Advanced

I got invites to an Acura TL launch party at two Phoenix area dealerships on 10/22. One of the dealers services my MDX (I bought it in LA) and I bought my TSX at the other one. I'm curious as to what the car looks like in the flesh, but don't expect to buy one (at least not this year) because I am totally happy with my TSX choice and we need the MDX with all those kids. I'm impressed that a few of us (and I'm sure there's more out there) wouldn't trade the TSX. I agree that the more people who see the TSX will think about getting it for any number of reasons. I didn't know about the TSX until I saw an advertisement in the Acura Style magazine. I bought mine two weeks later. It was on the back lot, just off the truck, full of dirt and dust, not spoken for, and exactly what I wanted. (Being the aggressive, sensitive, thoughtful guy I am)