debadging... HELP HELP!!!! and with sqirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
debadging... HELP HELP!!!! and with sqirl marks

I decided to wash my car tonight and when I got to the back of wetting my car I saw the badges and decided to remove them. I removed the TSX badge, fairly easy with double floss. NOW the REAL deal with debadging.... How the F*CK do you get that shit on there off. I tried goo gone, didn't work too well.

It was getting late so I just tried to get that shit off as fast as I can so I can wash the rest of my car. I used my finger nail for the most part on top of a paper towel. Worked at getting that shit off for about 40 mins. It was completely dark out! Still not clean. Planning to try to get home early tomorrow to remove the rest of it.

For those that debadged, how the hell did you get it off? Was wetting it in the first place a bad idea? Is it easier to remove when it's dry?

and then...

MUCHO MUCHO swirl marks.

What can I use to fix it later? Would mother's wax work? or that zaino stuff they have to remove swirl marks?

I Know, I'm an idiot, HELP!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Racer

Re: debadging... HELP HELP!!!! and with sqirl marks

Originally posted by DjElucid
I decided to wash my car tonight and when I got to the back of wetting my car I saw the badges and decided to remove them. I removed the TSX badge, fairly easy with double floss. NOW the REAL deal with debadging.... How the F*CK do you get that shit on there off. I tried goo gone, didn't work too well.

It was getting late so I just tried to get that shit off as fast as I can so I can wash the rest of my car. I used my finger nail for the most part on top of a paper towel. Worked at getting that shit off for about 40 mins. It was completely dark out! Still not clean. Planning to try to get home early tomorrow to remove the rest of it.

For those that debadged, how the hell did you get it off? Was wetting it in the first place a bad idea? Is it easier to remove when it's dry?

and then...

MUCHO MUCHO swirl marks.

What can I use to fix it later? Would mother's wax work? or that zaino stuff they have to remove swirl marks?

I Know, I'm an idiot, HELP!!!
The BEST time to debadge your car is when it is sunny and hot out. You want the surface and the adhesive to be very hot. If you can get a hair dryer to the spot where you were trying to debadge, it makes it sooooooo much eaiser. Heat is your friend. As for goo gone, that works. I feel WD40 works better. as for using your nails... thats a no no (scratches paint).

For the swirl marks, scratches, etc... goto pep boys and pick up meguilar's scrach X if your scratches/swirel marks are just at the debadging area. If you want to remove swirl marks for the whole car, get the meguiar's professional line (light yellow/ creme color bottle) swirl remover.

After you use the scrach/swirl remover, top with wax.

EDIT: i cannot stress the importance of HEAT enuff... HEAT will make the adhesive come off faster and EASIER
Old 09-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Racer

haha I had the same problem you had the other day, I had to put on alot of goo gone and then blow dry it then try to rub some of the double sided tape off then repeat this over and over MAnY MANY Times lol but it was all worth it, but it left like an imprint of the ACURA like very very hard to see I think if I wax it, it should come off
Old 09-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Wow! seems like many people are having a hard time debadging. Maybe I was lucky because I used floss and it was pretty easy. No hairdryer etc. required. I did however use bug and tar remover after to clean up the gunk left over. Took me all of 10 minutes.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Instructor

The swirl marks are going to be a b*tch. You made the mistake of using paper towel to scratch against your paint. As with all paper products, the paper towel has dirt and sand in it, so you were essentially sand papering your paint.

I don't know of any products on the market that will remove hazy swirl marks caused by a fine sand paper. Take it to your local body shop and see if they can buff it out for you. It's a small area so it probably will not cost you much money.

Use WD40 the remove the rest of the residue.