Day time running lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Day time running lights

Anyone know how the DRL work on the TSX (i.e. hardwired vs ECU controlled)? I know the CDN TSX has it but the US don't, but I noticed that in the interior fuse panel, there is a fuse for 'day light', and on the guages, there is a light for DRL. I'm wondering if there is an easy way (e.g. programming the ECU) to enable it?

Probably something that most ppl don't care about, but I do feel that it adds to safety since you are more visible to others.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I looked into it back in 2003 when I got mine. There is at least that fuse and relay that is different. I don't have the electrical manual, so I'm not sure which one.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It begs the question: WHY? Why don't the US lawmakers (NHTSA?) put mandatory DRL's in all new cars? Canada has had it for about 10-12 years and it makes a world of difference in any driving conditions, but even more pronounced differences at dusk and dawn where shadows or dim lighting conditions don't permit you to see other cars well (unless they were smart enough to put their headlights on, but most drivers are too stupid to do that!).

My 1991 Teg had a DRL fuse, yet didn't have DRL's. I hard wired my auxiliary fogs to be on all the time, and felt much safer in doing so. 1992 and up Integra's had DRL's standard.

FYI: It's the high beam running on reduced power, that makes a DRL... so you can start your search from there. I don't know how the TSX is wired but I hope this helps somewhat.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
It begs the question: WHY? Why don't the US lawmakers (NHTSA?) put mandatory DRL's in all new cars? Canada has had it for about 10-12 years and it makes a world of difference in any driving conditions, but even more pronounced differences at dusk and dawn where shadows or dim lighting conditions don't permit you to see other cars well (unless they were smart enough to put their headlights on, but most drivers are too stupid to do that!).

My 1991 Teg had a DRL fuse, yet didn't have DRL's. I hard wired my auxiliary fogs to be on all the time, and felt much safer in doing so. 1992 and up Integra's had DRL's standard.

FYI: It's the high beam running on reduced power, that makes a DRL... so you can start your search from there. I don't know how the TSX is wired but I hope this helps somewhat.

I know one reason is that eventually all cars would have DRLs and it wouldn't be unique anymore, thus ppl would be used to it and no safety advantage. Kind of like all the ppl who currently flash us now having HIDs too.

If some of you were old enough, when Halogens became more popularized ppl had the same complaints about them then... that they were just too bright.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moda_way
I know one reason is that eventually all cars would have DRLs and it wouldn't be unique anymore, thus ppl would be used to it and no safety advantage. Kind of like all the ppl who currently flash us now having HIDs too.

If some of you were old enough, when Halogens became more popularized ppl had the same complaints about them then... that they were just too bright.

Thats a bit different than the case of halogens. The problem with halogens were that they did blind on coming traffic because of how bright they were. The danger lurks in the ability of the driver with the halogen vs the ability of the driver coming towards it.

However, there isn't any danger present with DRL. Its just a light, and not too strong of one at that. It won't be a case where people get "used" to it because the only purpose of DRL is so that people can see the car in murkey weather/dusk. Its not like everyone got "used" to red lights and started to ignore them, but infact the opposite happens and people get used to it and take notice.

I think the real reason why we don't have standardized DRL is because of the typical american driver. If you notice, even on light rain on say 5 pm on a fall afternoon - theres still a good visibility rating, but yet you'll notice that even though we are suppose to have our full lights on - you'll see that some just keep their DRL on and some don't even turn on their lights. (freakiest feeling when you're traveling down the highway and when you look at your side mirror all u see is this blurb thats kicking up some water mist trails). I think the real problem is getting people to use their regular lights correctly, before giving them lights that stay on and having some people neglect to use regular lights when needed.