Day of Sale Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:45 AM
psx
'05 NBP/Ebony 6MT No-Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day of Sale Advice

I'll be picking up my TSX (2005 6MT no-navi) soon. The car is on it's way, but to a different dealer than the one I am purchasing it from (they're swapping so I can get the color combo I wanted -- NBP/Ebony). My concern is that the car will then be driven by my sales agent from the other dealership to his own.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to make sure I am in that car on its trip between dealers? I don't think having them transport it is an option, but I had expected it would be. Has anyone else been in this situation?

I'll be talking with my sales guy today... any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:08 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ummmm, just check it before you drive away. Cross the damage bridge when you come to it
Old 12-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

They should put it on a truck, no excuses.

I bought a car in Raleigh that was shipped from Charlotte. 2.5hr drive, so it was expensive to do so, but they acted insulted that I would assume otherwise.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Advanced

When I finalized the deal with my dealer, the terms in writing had that if the car was coming from another dealer (which it eventually did), it was only only only (!!!!) to be put on a truck, and that transportation would be done at the dealer's expense. It took a few minutes of insisting, but they are amenable to the idea, and trust me, its a better idea!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:28 AM
8th Gear

Day Of Sale Advice

I think most new cars are driven by either delivery/service/sales people at some point. If you don't already own the car, I don't see what difference it would make if you were in the car during the transport or not. Still, it might be a good opportunity to try out the car, even as a passenger, before you hand over the bucks....
Old 12-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
One solution is to specify that the odo must read 5 miles or less at delivery. You'll never know what that minimum wage earning kid did to your clutch/engine between the dealers. Tell them to give you a ride over there and you'll drive it back yourself.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:03 PM
psx

Yeah, I really just can't trust anyone but myself driving my baby off the lot. I'm going to tell them I either want it on a truck or I will go pick it up at the other dealer's.

What do most new vehicles have for mileage on the lot? I'm assuming they have to be driven a little bit to get on and off trucks... but like 1 mile or something? I remember one that was "new" read 8 miles on the ODO.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:04 PM
G2 TSX

To some, having excess miles(meaning more than 10) on a brand NEW car is acceptable. I find it unacceptable. I would be willing to back out of a deal if the dealer insisted on having some 'old retired' guy drive the car from the other dealership to your dealership of purchase, even if were only for 30 miles. For some, it's the principle of being able to drive a completely brand new car off the lot with less than 10 miles.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

For me it was worrying about some jackhole wrecking the car and me having to wait another 3 months for my NHB 6Spd.

That and I knew they would run the heck out of it b4 the break-in period was past.

Picked up the car and it had 1 mile on the odometer. Pretty sweet.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Cruisin'

Once I test drove a Honda Prelude auto. The saleskid drove out of the parking lot and put it in sport-shift and kept telling me that the car will shift itself. To my horror, he reved it to redline at 7K on a car with less than 20 miles. Needless to say, I didn't buy that particular car.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:38 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I think you guys are a bit paranoid.

Believe it or not, there is a good chance your engine was run at redline for several minutes at the factory before they installed the engine in the car.

Honda acutually test random engines all the time quite extremely I think, before they go into their cars. As is your engine could have quite a few miles on it before it ever went in the car. As I was told by folks in engineering the demo engine is prized at honda as it has already seen the extreme and passed.

The point being a few miles on the odo don't mean jack in the long run. Just enjoy the car, Honda engines are tanks. And if you sold hundreds of TSX's a year would you romp every one you drove? Not likely they will just drive from A to B.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:05 PM
Instructor

I have ordered a 2005 TSX (CG/Ebony/6spd/navi) and they told me they would keep checking other dealers for the car. If they found one they told me that they would inspect it and have it TRAILERED to their dealership. I didn't have to specify this, they did. If not I have to wait till march. Last night I searched all the dealers I could find in Florida, southern GA, and southern AL. I could not find one 2005 6spd with navi!

The bottom line, I would expect that the car would be trailered, if not I would at least want to know who was driving it. On a side note, when I was 16 I worked for a Mercury Lincoln dealership that had a AVIS franchise about 20 miles away. We cleaned and gased all the cars at the dealership and drove them back and fourth. We would beat the crap out of brand new cars all the time and I only remember I problem. I kept trying to get 2 gear scrach in a V6 auto contour (seamed pretty quick at the time) and it overheated. Ah, the good old days. Bottom line, although I learned never to buy a used rental car or demo, cars are a lot tougher then you think.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by psx
Yeah, I really just can't trust anyone but myself driving my baby off the lot. I'm going to tell them I either want it on a truck or I will go pick it up at the other dealer's.

What do most new vehicles have for mileage on the lot? I'm assuming they have to be driven a little bit to get on and off trucks... but like 1 mile or something? I remember one that was "new" read 8 miles on the ODO.
I got mine with 4 miles on the odo...and I think that is practical. They've got to drive a bit just to be able to complete the dealer check-out process.

Just as an aside...when we got our '01 Pathfinder, it was driven 250 miles from NC to our dealer in VA (what the hell was I thinking to allow that ). Well, I was so bummed to see a nasty rock chip on our hood. The dealer was cool and switched out our hood for another same color one on their lot...but the morale of the story....make them ship it!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:00 PM
kenstyle on 20's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jwb998
I have ordered a 2005 TSX (CG/Ebony/6spd/navi) and they told me they would keep checking other dealers for the car. If they found one they told me that they would inspect it and have it TRAILERED to their dealership. I didn't have to specify this, they did. If not I have to wait till march. Last night I searched all the dealers I could find in Florida, southern GA, and southern AL. I could not find one 2005 6spd with navi!

The bottom line, I would expect that the car would be trailered, if not I would at least want to know who was driving it. On a side note, when I was 16 I worked for a Mercury Lincoln dealership that had a AVIS franchise about 20 miles away. We cleaned and gased all the cars at the dealership and drove them back and fourth. We would beat the crap out of brand new cars all the time and I only remember I problem. I kept trying to get 2 gear scrach in a V6 auto contour (seamed pretty quick at the time) and it overheated. Ah, the good old days. Bottom line, although I learned never to buy a used rental car or demo, cars are a lot tougher then you think.
i have the same combo u ordered and mine will be here this coming monday or tuesday and mine also was a dealer trade .The dealer trade i got was swapped at the holding yard before they load them on the truck to take to each dealership is what my salesman told me .I would not put it past them to feed me a line of b/s since ive been waiting on my car since september when i put my deosit down ,IF your still looking for a cg navi ebony contact dan hodges here at duval acura in jacksonville ,He told me he has one coming in soon that he is doing a dealer trade with a dealership in orlando ,Also a dealer in ft lauderdale has the same combo coming in as the orlando dealership so maybe one of them could be ur lucky break , hope this helps ya , david
Old 12-17-2004, 06:24 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Here is the point the mileage on the odometer is meaning less. save for warranty repair:

Just make sure that, if say--you have 250mi or whatever on the odometer you note such an irregularity on your initial pick up before signing the title with the dealer.

Reason: If your car has the 250mi on it you can have your warranty initialed and signed by the dealer to say 50,250mi instead of 50,000. Trust me, the engines (tranny) in Hondas are built to exacting standards. You could by a Honda (Acura) with 1000mi on the odometer and still have a supremely engineered and satifing machine.

Remember Honda is the No. 1 mfg. of engines in the world, I think your TSX what ever the mileage is going to be just fine.

(short tail) A good friend of mine purchase an 00' Prelude in Cincinnati New but the car was "driven" to Cincinnati from Dayton, Ohio. As far as I know the car is still flawless to this day. A New car is a wonderful thing just enjoy it. My Accord coupe came directly off the transporter with 6mi on it. I had a tranny throwout bearing fail (Tranny is 100% JDM BTW).....low factory mileage doesn't mean you will never have a warranty issue.

Sorry for the rant but trust me--your car(s) what ever the mileage will be fine, not sure if this makes you feel better but, its true.

You can always rant and get a free oil change or something. But trust me you will love to drive your TSX so much that in 1 wee--I bet it will have well past 200mi in under that time. The mileage at delivery is meaningless. As long as it is titled new, you will be fine.

(Sorry If I had any spelling/grammer errors--I just don't care to spell check )
Old 12-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Thank you so much TSXONDUBS! I will call my dealer tomorrow. I also told them that I would go with a SSM as my second choice, if they could find one. I will light the fire under their ass and see what happens. Aren't the 2005 TSXs so slow to hit FL! So did you get the one from Orlando? I have been dealing with the Lakeland Dealer, we are pretty close to Orlando.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:34 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Thank you so much TSXONDUBS! I will call my dealer tomorrow. I also told them that I would go with a SSM as my second choice, if they could find one. I will light the fire under their ass and see what happens. Aren't the 2005 TSXs so slow to hit FL! So did you get the one from Orlando? I have been dealing with the Lakeland Dealer, we are pretty close to Orlando.
Just to let you know Dealers in Ohio already have 05's in stock. Maybe you could work out a deal with your dealer for one of them. SSM isn't rare at all up here.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrChad
Just to let you know Dealers in Ohio already have 05's in stock. Maybe you could work out a deal with your dealer for one of them. SSM isn't rare at all up here.
With 6spd and Navi? That is my problem, I can't find them together.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:25 PM
kenstyle on 20's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jwb the dealership called me like a hour ago and told me the have a ssm navi 6 speed on the lot now and will have cg rbony navi 6 speed on the lot monday the # to the dealership is 904-735-8000 ask for jose or dan hodges and tell them david told u to call them about a tsx , good luck on ur purchase , david
Old 12-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Registered Abuser

My dealer had several TSX's on the lot, but only one was the exact one that I wanted: a CG/6MT/Quartz with no Navi. Turns out that this car was swapped with a dealer in Burlington VT (about 200 miles away) for a car that my dealer had that they must have wanted... to make a long story short I test drove the car and loved it right away, bought it the same day. 10,500 miles later I have NO problems with the car whatsoever, also like to point out that there are no rattles anywhere. The car had ~205 miles on it at delivery -- pretty much the drive from Burlington to my area + my test drive. I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

I think what I'm trying to say is you've got to have some faith in the folks who work for the dealerships, not all of them are out to wreck perfectly good brand new cars by driving the crap out of them during the drive from dealer A to dealer B. Especially as someone else in this thread said, they see/drive these cars every day. Insisting on a new car that has less that 10 miles or less than 15 miles is silly in my opinion. Most cars that have been manufactured in the past 1-3 years (especially Hondas) are suprisingly tough and the notion that so much horrible treatment could be inflicted in such a short amount of time is not completely impossible but all in all, unlikely.

Oh and by the way -->
Old 12-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Old 12-18-2004, 07:18 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

With 6spd and Navi? That is my problem, I can't find them together.

Ohio has to have a bunch of these combo's. We have SSM and CG's posted used all the time with 6-spds...a good sample must also be navi.

I'd search auto trader and call the dealers up here via phone for trades.

The TSX is no longer hard to get or rare in these parts.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:10 PM
psx

Thanks everyone for the input. I agree that all-in-all just having the TSX will be enough to make me forget about what may or may not have happened to it for the first 5 miles. Yet, with this being my first new car and being fully financed by myself (no, mommy and daddy aren't helping me with it), my paranoia/OCD side starts to take over.

I'll talk with my dealer and see if they are willing to work with me. They were supposed to "call me right back" yesterday... Funny, ever since they got my deposit they've been a little less attentive... probably just a coincidence...