Custom Front Vanity Plates (Non-state issued)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Front Vanity Plates (Non-state issued)

Anyone know any sites or stores that let you make a plate?

Here in Indy, we don't need front plates, but I figured I might put up something interesting on the front. I just have the dealer plate on the front right now (McGrath Westmont!!!!).

Ideas for such a place and what to put on the plate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:21 PM
such a dirty birdy

Argh! If your state doesn't requre a front plate, I can't believe your dealer would deface the front of the car with a fake plate! They should be shot for that! The car should have been delivered with the plate holder unattached, so they'd have to deliberately drill holes and install it. Ouch.

If I thought there was any danger of my dealer doing that, I would have insisted on no front plate holder installed (no front plates required or even issued where I live). As it was, they had a dealer sticker on the back of the trunk that I had them remove as a condition of sale. It was small and tasteful, but I didn't want it and they happily removed it. But drilling holes in the bumper for no good reason, that's unforgivable...
Old 08-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Racer

Majormojo, msb128 said that he got his plate from mcgrath westmont which is located in Illinois and over in this state we get stuck with the front plate. It's unfortunate I know but there's nothing we can do about it and it really spoils the look of the front of the car.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are excuses that will allow you to run without your front license plate, like in Ohio:

1. Dealer forgot one of the bolts in my license plate kit and I am waiting for it to come since they only come 1 per car.

2. I broke it when I parked too close to a wall downtown and now I am waiting for the dealer to send me a new one.

3. What... my plate isn't on?

You only get 1 warning though. After that, you might as well put the plate on.

Old 08-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Instructor

I just looked at the front plate holder quickly. I didn't see anything actually bolted onto the front bumper. It seems to be a plastic frame that has clips that hold onto the lower intakes on the bottom of the car near the radiator.

I was moving it around and it's pretty flimsy (though solidly on the car) so it can't be bolted on the car. Just seem to be plastic clips in the back that hold it on.

Anyway, anyone know where I can get one? I'll probably just end up taking the whole thing off, but it'd be good to know if I decide to do that.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by moda_way
There are excuses that will allow you to run without your front license plate, like in Ohio:

Soon you won't need excuses.
There is a bill pending in the Ohio Legislature to do away with the front plate.
I'm eagerly awaiting passage...
Old 08-25-2003, 04:32 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by MSB128
I just looked at the front plate holder quickly. I didn't see anything actually bolted onto the front bumper. It seems to be a plastic frame that has clips that hold onto the lower intakes on the bottom of the car near the radiator.
Well, that would certainly be nice if it can attach without holes. I looked briefly at mine, it was in the trunk in a bag with some screws and I just assumed it had to be drilled and mounted like most are. If not, then hats off to Acura for desgning it so it can be removed with no permanent damage to the front fascia.

ajs887, thanks for the info and I apologize for not previously memorizing the name of every Acura dealer, which state they are in and whether that state requires front plates or not. I'll try harder next time.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my front plate holder was screwed in with 10mm bolts to some type of plate/clip that is hidden from the front...i just removed the bolts and the plate holder and left the plate/clips