CRY: I hate the headrests!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CRY: I hate the headrests!

The headrests suck. I spend 2 hours driving everyday and I would like a nice headrest. Unfortunately my head only makes contact with the headrest near the top of my head... since the stupid thing is shaped like this:

headrest-->/O<--head

So basically I have to support my head with my neck muscles which defeats the purpose of using the headrest anyways. In fact... using the headrest is actually more of a strain on my neck than just holding it up normally. WHO'S WITH ME?!!?!?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:45 PM
More On

I'm with you, and even more so, my wife is.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3456

Check out especially my post about 3/4 of the way down the first page, where I "itemize" the problems.

P.S. (edit) I wonder, how tall are you? The lady thinks this depends a lot on the person's height. She's on the short side, I'm more like Yao Ming.

(j/k, I'm 5'10")
Old 11-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

My fiance hates it as well - I believe I already b**ched about them after the conifer on that post. Very poor ergonomics.

I'm 5'11", she's 5'4". Hmm, I just realized that I don't know if the period goes before the quotation marks or after when you end a sentence with the abbreviation for inches. Any grammarians here?

(yes I'm a nerd)
Old 11-05-2003, 08:43 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
after, period only goes in the inside if you are quoting somehing and it is a complete sentence.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:46 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must be weird but i keep my backrest slammed so far back if i had my head on the headrest I would be lying down
Old 11-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Banned

I'm 5-10 too. And I bought one of those neck pillows but I feel like a lazy bum driving around with one of those on my neck. Going to give it another try this week though.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Racer

Not that I want to expose myself as a dork but I've never been able to make a headrest make much contact with the back of my head. I find them all useless for that purpose.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Dirty in the South

I'm with you all. This is one of the few things I don't like about the interior of my car. I wish it had headrests that tilted like volkswagen or bmw. I have to contort my back to give my neck on rest on long drives.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:46 PM
has been here awhile

Re: CRY: I hate the headrests!

Originally posted by Crazytree
The headrests suck. I spend 2 hours driving everyday and I would like a nice headrest. Unfortunately my head only makes contact with the headrest near the top of my head... since the stupid thing is shaped like this:

headrest-->/O<--head

So basically I have to support my head with my neck muscles which defeats the purpose of using the headrest anyways. In fact... using the headrest is actually more of a strain on my neck than just holding it up normally. WHO'S WITH ME?!!?!?
Seen MBZ S-class head restraints? You'd like them, I think. Notice the picture--the front headrest looks folded, like a taco shell. The half closest to your head can actually un-fold (up) creating a pillow-like head rest. Nice design idea

Lemme see if I can find a picture with the headrest open...
Old 11-05-2003, 10:34 PM
such a dirty birdy

To each their own, but driving with your head leaning back on the head restraint seems like an odd thing to want to do. My understanding is that they are head restraints and are designed keep your head from snapping too far back in case of a rear-ender, not support you while driving.

I've used a neck pillow like Crazytree mentions and they are great for sleeping while seated (and not driving of course!), but I agree it would be way too awkward to use while actually driving.

For me, if I were tired enough to want to rest my head back, it would be time to pull over for a nap.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Racer

Head restraints were designed for the purpose of preventing whiplash. And what is the best position for your head restraint? As far up to hit the back of your head and tilted forward.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by majormojo
To each their own, but driving with your head leaning back on the head restraint seems like an odd thing to want to do. My understanding is that they are head restraints and are designed keep your head from snapping too far back in case of a rear-ender, not support you while driving.

For me, if I were tired enough to want to rest my head back, it would be time to pull over for a nap.
Perhaps, but what about your passenger?? Presumably we all hand over the keys every now and then on long trips and nap along the way, and it's from that seat that the overall crappiness of the head rest is most apparent.

Bigbird is right (lol - just wanted to say that) - VW has great headrests.

Brought to you by the letter "J"
Old 11-05-2003, 10:49 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
be happy you dont have a CL. with a useless headrest. my head doesnt even touch the headrest. if i want to lay on my headrest i have to look at the ceiling. heh
Old 11-05-2003, 10:59 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by jcg878
Perhaps, but what about your passenger?? Presumably we all hand over the keys every now and then on long trips and nap along the way, and it's from that seat that the overall crappiness of the head rest is most apparent.
Well yes, that makes more sense. I suppose the answer would be to tilt the seat back or use a neck pillow. I guess I've always taken the approach that they weren't mean to be used that way, so never perceived it as a shortcoming.

Looking at that pic of the S-class, while the fronts look like they'd do the job for resting back against, the ones in the back don't look like they'd even be very useful as restraints. Odd.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:09 PM
has been here awhile

...Looking at that pic of the S-class, while the fronts look like they'd do the job for resting back against, the ones in the back don't look like they'd even be very useful as restraints. Odd.
Glad you mentioned that--one of my favorite Mercedes features are remote-retracting rear head-restraints. Those little lumps in the back are in the retracted position. You can actually pull them forward with your hands manually, to use the full-size head-restraint. If there are no passengers in the rear seats, and you want the head restraints down, press a button on the dash.

If the vehicle is equipped with power rear-seats, as soon as the passenger inserts their seatbelt, the headrestraint rises to position (take the seatbelt out and it folds back down).

This nifty feature is all for the sake of rearward visibility. Very cool if you can see it in action.

All Mercedes sedans have this feature (remote retracting headrestraints). The power seats, however, are exclusive to the S-class (and optional, of course).

Click here for video. Cars.com has a video of the retractable rear hedrestraints of a C-class.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:07 AM
Banned

my pillow of choice:

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...duct_code=MOGU

although I don't remember paying that much for it... but I probably did considering I spent fricken $100 for one of those Tempurpedic pillows.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:07 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
The headrests that tilt do support you in a crash. They're like seat belt pretensioners, they automatically stiffen up into the awful position that Crazytree is talking about in a crash. Which is why only the premium brands have them on their cars.

I agree that you really shouldn't get too comfortable while driving, you might accidentally fall asleep, but the way the head restraints are angled (and it's not just on the TSX) is very uncomfortable.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:19 AM
Bound for Europe

I don't recall my head touching the headrest in 5 months of driving. I've used it when parked and reading or something.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:44 AM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Glad you mentioned that--one of my favorite Mercedes features are remote-retracting rear head-restraints.
Well, now that's pretty cool. Thanks for the vid link.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:27 AM
The Voice of Reason

I've used a neck pillow like Crazytree mentions and they are great for sleeping while seated (and not driving of course!), but I agree it would be way too awkward to use while actually driving.

They are head restraints, not headrestsand at most should be barely contacting the back of the occupant's head. Volvo is about the best - or worst- since my wife hates the Volvo's seats because the head restraints are way too close for her and make her neck hurt! If the TSX restraints are too far back for a snooze, keep a small pillow in the car for the passenger! I've been surprised by how good the TSX seats are, after 2 Saabs and a Volvo - the Swedes make the best seats in the world - I didn't expect too much. So far they've exceeded my expectations. I'll know for sure after a long trip.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by bob shiftright
I've been surprised by how good the TSX seats are, after 2 Saabs and a Volvo - the Swedes make the best seats in the world - I didn't expect too much. So far they've exceeded my expectations. I'll know for sure after a long trip.
I think the driver's seat in the TSX is fantastic. The passenger's seat on the other hand sucks. They really got cheap omitting the power passenger seat.